Matches (12)
Women's Asia Cup (2)
WCL 2 (1)
Women's Hundred (1)
Men's Hundred (1)
TNPL (1)
One-Day Cup (5)
MLC (1)

"Hurtful abuse" led to David Warner walking off mid-innings

Candice Warner confirmed the comments came from Jason Hughes and said things had gone too far in the middle

Banned Australia batsman David Warner briefly walked off the pitch mid-innings during a grade match in Sydney on Saturday after "hurtful abuse" directed at him from Jason Hughes, the brother of Phillip Hughes.
Playing for Randwick-Petersham against Western Suburbs, Warner left the field when on 35 after he had taken offence to comments made in the early stages of the match. After a few minutes he was allowed to resume his innings and went on to make 157.
Warner's wife Candice confirmed that it had been Jason Hughes who had made remarks he considered too hurtful, but also indicated that when the former Australia vice-captain is again eligible to play the international game, he would not be changing the "aggressive" way he went about his cricket.
"David was taken aback by the comments, and thought they went a bit too far so he decided to remove himself from the game," Candice Warner said on Channel Nine. "Everyone has their own opinion but I think there's a difference between sledging and abuse. Yesterday went too far. I think he removed himself because first of all he didn't like what he was hearing and where that could've been taken. It was hurtful, it was very hurtful.
"David's really enjoying playing for Randwick, and it's just a shame that this has taken from his great knock yesterday. He got 157, he got a century a few rounds a go, so he's really enjoying playing for Randwick, and it's just a shame that we're talking about this instead of his century. David is very passionate and he is an aggressive player, that's why he's one of the best players in his position, because he's aggressive. I think David will have to be careful when he comes back, but he won't change his style of playing."
ESPNcricinfo understands that the umpires did not hear any comments that raised concerns for them, but were informed by Warner that he was leaving the field. However, they used their commonsense to allow Warner to resume his innings after a few moments to compose himself with the Western Suburbs players happy to allow him to continue. The next batsman had not come out to the middle.
As news of his brief walk-off spread, a number of TV crews and reporters arrived at the Pratten Park ground to the west of Sydney but both times Warner later left the field during his innings - at tea and then on his dismissal - he refused to comment on the incident. After being dismissed he emerged from the dressing room to watch the closing overs of the day with team-mates in the stands.
Nobody from either club was willing to speak about what happened earlier in the day.
Warner is currently serving his one-year ban from international and state cricket handed down by Cricket Australia in the wake of the Newlands ball-tampering controversy. He has played in a number of T20 leagues during his Australia ban and was signed to play in the Bangladesh Premier League later this year.
The sledging incident comes two days before the reviews into the culture of Australian cricket - instigated after the ball-tampering affair - are to be revealed in Melbourne.

Andrew McGlashan is a deputy editor at ESPNcricinfo