New Zealand opener Finn Allen has tested positive for Covid-19, two days after arriving in Dhaka. Allen and allrounder Colin de Grandhomme had arrived early in Bangladesh, on August 20, after completing their stints in the inaugural Hundred competition in England. The rest of the New Zealand contingent arrived in Dhaka on Tuesday afternoon.

Allen, who is fully vaccinated, according to the NZC, is experiencing moderate symptoms and is serving quarantine at the team hotel in Dhaka. The BCB's chief medical officer Dr Debashish Chowdhury, who has been in touch with the NZ chief medical officer, had given Allen treatment. During his isolation, Allen will be monitored by the New Zealand team doctor Pat McHugh. He will get clearance to rejoin the team only after returning negative tests on consecutive days.

New Zealand manager Mike Sandle said that Allen flew from the Heathrow airport on an Emirates flight and that team officials had notified the airline of his circumstances, as well as being in contact with his family in New Zealand.

"It's really unfortunate for Finn," Sandle said. "He's comfortable at the moment and hopefully he'll recover quickly; test negative and be cleared and approved for discharge as soon as possible. The Bangladesh cricket authorities have been extremely professional in their response and we're grateful to them for that. They're treating the matter very seriously."

The rest of the New Zealand touring party will start training from August 27, after three days of quarantine at their team hotel in Dhaka.

Bangladesh is currently experiencing a downward trend in the number of Covid cases over the last week. Compared to the first 15 days in August, the last week has seen a 34% dip in new cases, and 27% fall in Covid-related deaths.

Meanwhile, Lockie Ferguson has also tested positive, in the UK, and as a result he will miss Yorkshire's Vitality Blast quarter-final against Sussex on Tuesday.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84