Australia A v South Africans, Sydney November 1, 2012

Steyn's masterclass in durability

Though modesty caused Dale Steyn to shy away from the assertion that he is the best bowler in the world, it cannot be disputed that over the past eight years he has been the best managed. Despite a method that relies on delivering the ball at high speed with near to maximum effort most of the time, Steyn has missed remarkably few Test matches for South Africa.

Since he became an established part of the team, only two Tests in England in 2008 stand out as major matches Steyn has been unable to take part in, and those were not for any bowling injury but a broken thumb. As Australia's hierarchy wrestle with the matter of how best to develop the talent of their young fast bowlers, notably the increasingly injury-afflicted Pat Cummins, Steyn's example stands out for its good sense and its simplicity.

Put simply, Steyn's schedule is prioritised around Test series and major ODI and Twenty20 tournaments. The glut of bilateral series that exist around them are scarcely his concern, something borne out by the fact he has played just 66 ODIs and 28 T20Is. By picking Steyn's battles carefully, South Africa's coaching and selection staff have ensured that at 29 he is still around to help them win the war - driving the national team to the top of the ICC's Test rankings.

"I think I've been managed well. We've got a good trainer - Rob Walter - and I think our coaches that we've had over the last couple of years ... the messages that have been sent back to the coaches from the trainers have been the right ones," Steyn said. "I've only played a handful of one-day internationals - I've only played like 80 one-day games. For someone that's been playing as long as I have in my Test career I probably should have played double that at least. So they've managed me bloody well. I'm pretty stoked about that."

There was some circumstantial help earlier in Steyn's career. One of his least happy memories is of being taken for 58 runs from five furious overs against Australia at Melbourne's Docklands Stadium in January 2006. While Steyn was chastened by the experience, it also encouraged selectors to choose other bowlers for many of South Africa's ODI assignments, leaving him fitter and fresher for Tests.

"At the start of my career there were guys like Polly, Makhaya and Andre Nel, so it was a bit tough to break into that team," Steyn said. "Those kinds of [management] conversations are happening now, more so with the Champions League, the IPL tournaments. I'm playing one game for Brisbane Heat.

"Those kind of tournaments that I'm taking part in just mean that I'll be playing more cricket, so Cricket South Africa understand that and want us to play in the big tournaments I think ... World Cups, ICC trophies and games like that."

Self-knowledge has helped too, of course. The brash young Steyn who was humiliated by the blazing bat of Phil Jaques at Docklands also spent plenty of energy by bowling at the top of his register in the nets, something he seldom resorts to anymore. Those former Australian players who have bemoaned the fact that young bowlers do not deliver enough overs in the nets may be surprised to know that Steyn's workload is monitored just as carefully.

"Our trainer tries to keep us down to a minimum, yesterday I probably bowled more overs than I should have, but today I'll take it easy because of the game tomorrow," Steyn said. "It's about man management, you've also got to know your body. When I was younger I probably over-bowled myself a lot because I just wanted to bowl and bowl and bowl.

"Now it is about managing myself and knowing my best deliveries I've got to bowl in the game and save all my strength for the game. So just managing myself - you don't see Usain Bolt breaking the 100m world record during training sessions all the time, and it's the same thing for me, there's no point breaking the speed barrier all the time."

With durability has come maturity, and Steyn is happy to admit he has mellowed somewhat from his earlier days. That includes his humble view that other bowlers around the world can deliver better balls than he does, but may not be able to do so for as many Test matches in a row.

"In all honesty I think there is probably better bowlers than what I am," he said. "I think I'm one of the guys that have consistently played for South Africa and performed well. When Graeme needs a wicket or something like that he kind of hands me the ball and I've been fortunate enough to take the wickets for him.

"If I'm playing every Test match and taking wickets those points rankings mean I'm always going to be up there. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm the best and most skilled bowler in the world. I think there is probably better bowlers out there."

Of course, there is still plenty of aggression to go with the forethought. But Steyn has learned to channel that, too. "I think cricket brings out a more aggressive side in me in all honesty," he said. "Where else in the world do you get the opportunity to basically kill someone with two bouncers an over? Or try, legally. That can bring out the anger in anyone. I think off the field I'm pretty chilled, but on the field it's all business."

A business made less risky by shrewd management.

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• BillyCC on November 4, 2012, 22:25 GMT

@Meety, totally agree. Steyn strikes at a quicker rate than Ambrose but that doesn't mean much when he gives away a boundary every over. Hence Ambrose averages 3.5 runs less than Steyn.

• Meety on November 3, 2012, 22:10 GMT

@ jb633 on (November 02 2012, 01:28 AM GMT) - I agree, watching Ambrose was amazing. You always felt a wicket was coming. Watching Steyn - it is similar, you are expecting him to get a wicket (or two) every spell, the diffeence being - batsmen can pick up a boundary or two while they wait to be executed. Ambrose, (my fav WI pacer, just ahead of Holding - well actually I admired & dreaded them all!), never seemed to ever give you anything to hit. He was a meaner, (on the field), more dangerous & skilful version of McGrath IMO, (& that says a fair bit)!

• BillyCC on November 2, 2012, 6:59 GMT

@vik56in, please, since when has the "great" benchmark now gone to averaging below 30? In most cricketing eras, there are only ever one or two standout fast bowling greats. There are two exceptions: in the late 1970s to mid 1980s and in the mid 1990s. For example, McGrath was the standout from 2000-2006 and your comment about the lack of bowling pitches also applies to that period. And McGrath averaged 20.5 in that period, three runs less than Steyn.

• Paulk on November 2, 2012, 4:20 GMT

Dale Steyn is the one truly outstanding fast bowler of this generation who stands shoulder to shoulder with the greats of the past, the last of whom was Glenn McGrath.

• Ronaldus on November 2, 2012, 2:43 GMT

This article by Daniel Brettig and the comments that ensue regarding whether Steyn is indeed the best bowler in the world remind me of the fascinating debate launched by Don Bradman in the 30's when he claimed that Bill O' Reilly was the best bowler ever. The English of course disputed this, claiming that their champion, SF Barnes was the best ever. Barnes, who was at his peak at the turn of the century yet had watched Bill O'Reilly had his own different opinion. " Barnes was a great bowler," said Bradman, "he could bowl everything, but he never bowled the googly. O'Reilly bowls everything that Barnes did, including the googly. " To which Barnes responded, "Yes, Bradman is correct. I never bowled the googly. I never needed it!!" The same goes for Steyn. Well capable of bowling at 150km he bowls according to a plan, so why bowl at 150km when 135 does the trick? Of course he's human and I'm sure he can tell many stories when the plan has failed but he remains a remarkable bowler.

• mikey76 on November 2, 2012, 1:38 GMT

Gregg22. This article is about fast bowling and managing injuries. The last time I looked England and India and all the other test playing nations have fast bowlers! Philander had a good start to his test career but will soon plateau out. He didn't do anything special in England so lets see how he does over the next 18 months or so before we call him the greatest.

• zarasochozarasamjho on November 2, 2012, 1:38 GMT

As a Pakistani, I am really impressed with the thoughtful and scientific approach of the SA cricket board. Steyn for me is the world's bowler and Kallis the best allrounder. The rest of the team are not passengers though; are they? For some unexplained reason they do not do themselves justice in world tournaments of limited-overs cricket. But in test cricket, which is real cricket, they are easily the best. But always watch out for Australia, though!

• jb633 on November 2, 2012, 1:28 GMT

Come on taking nothing away from Steyn, but is really the greatest ever. Watching Curtly Ambrose in his prime was IMO the best sight in cricket. Steyn has dominated the current set of fast bowlers but fast bowling has been relatively weak in the last ten years. Steyn's great attribute in test cricket is that he can both contain and attack. In test matches there are periods where he will drop his pace and do the job of holding the innings for his skip, going at maybe one or two an over. However we he has a new bat in his sight or SA need a wicket before the close he can always muster the energy to crank up his speed and produce a hostile, match changing spell for his skipper. He is certainly the best bowler in world cricket at present because he is successful in all conditions. The issue with Ajmal for me is that as yet he has proven nothing in England, Oz or SA whereas Steyn has produced in India UAE.

• vik56in on November 2, 2012, 1:00 GMT

Steyn's achievements are all the more remarkable when you consider that an avg below 30 for bowlers is the benchmark now to be considered a great. A decade ago it was an avg below 25.And Steyn manages an avg well below 25.Also the cricket workload is immense now than in the past.There are no more bowling pitches unlike in the past.Both Sabina Park and Perth have evened out.It is hard now for a fast bowler to be consistent.In a batsman's game of cricket ,Steyn is the superstar.

• on November 1, 2012, 23:47 GMT

I hear you Gregg22. Although, we do have an Indian telling us 29 year old Steyn is greatest ever bowler, which seems to me a reworking of Tendulkar/ Sehwag/ whoever is better than Bradman and also I argee the Philander is currently better and he'll tear Australia apart. Top bowler is Steyn. To me, he's a better (although only slightly... I'm an Australian) vesion of Damien Fleming i.e. an old school outswinger bowler. I like the Zuid Afrika cricket side. Steyn's classic swing, Philander's a pure seamer bowling heavy balls and watching Amla or Kallis bat is like watching some B&W footage of 1950's cricket.

I was interested in Manie Meyer's comment about the pitches Australia is supposedly preparing. What's the South Africa media saying? The early season FC games currently happening in Australia have been pretty high scoring affairs.

• BillyCC on November 4, 2012, 22:25 GMT

• Meety on November 3, 2012, 22:10 GMT

• BillyCC on November 2, 2012, 6:59 GMT

• Paulk on November 2, 2012, 4:20 GMT

• Ronaldus on November 2, 2012, 2:43 GMT

• mikey76 on November 2, 2012, 1:38 GMT

• zarasochozarasamjho on November 2, 2012, 1:38 GMT

• jb633 on November 2, 2012, 1:28 GMT

• vik56in on November 2, 2012, 1:00 GMT

• on November 1, 2012, 23:47 GMT

• BillyCC on November 1, 2012, 23:24 GMT

@Aditya Sharma, that's a big statement. I disagree, Steyn is in the top 15. Ranks probably between 10 to 15. @WickyRoy, McGrath was clearly a better bowler than Waqar under most definitions: statistical and otherwise. Against Wasim, a case could be made for both bowlers.

• Gregg22 on November 1, 2012, 20:33 GMT

Okay why is India and England mentioned here??? I'm sure there are plenty other articles to go comment on. At least i haven't read a tendulkar comment. Oh gosh what have i started now?? Steyn rocks. My favourite bowler in the universe and beyond. Feel that the Vern will overtake him as No.1 test bowler in the world in this series though, and i'm totally okay with that :).

• Toxicbite on November 1, 2012, 20:01 GMT

@mikey76 You wouldn't but he does- so get over it!

• on November 1, 2012, 19:29 GMT

He is master class who can be in line with Marshal, Garner, Holding, McGrath, Donald, Waqar, Ambrose...

• WickyRoy.paklover on November 1, 2012, 18:10 GMT

@imsrk,mc.grath betr than wasim,waqar?may b in ur dreams

• vaibhavsharma100 on November 1, 2012, 16:54 GMT

@Akm Dhl Revised forecast is 4-0 from 3-0 in India;s favour

• mikey76 on November 1, 2012, 16:48 GMT

I think with age the body comes to accept bowling a lot more than when you're 18-25. Anderson too had his injury problems and tinkered with his action but today just bowls how he used to and he too gets few injuries these days. Steyn has a very easy repeatable action and doesn't seem to bust a gut bowling fast as opposed to someone like Shane Bond, another injury prone quick. It also helps that they don't play nearly as much FC cricket anymore. I'm sure the likes of Cummins will eventually grow into bowling fast and become less injury prone. Aditya Sharma, I wouldn't rate Steyn the best ever. Malcolm Marshall could do a lot more with the ball and half a yard quicker, Wasim Akram too I would rate higher.

• on November 1, 2012, 16:36 GMT

Probably something which Indian team management can learn from along with how Peter Siddle's career was revived, to help Ishant prolong his career and make him a wicket taking bowler from looking like an unlucky one.

• 2nd_Slip on November 1, 2012, 15:53 GMT

Certainly one of the best of the best...Aus will provide the best surfaces to really crank it up Mr Steyn, hope you get to the 150km mark more often than you did in England.

• warneneverchuck on November 1, 2012, 15:33 GMT

He is in the same league of akram waqar etc but not as good as great McGrath

• on November 1, 2012, 14:06 GMT

@Match_referee: tell that to Craig Cumming whose jaw was broken by steyn bouncer!!

• The_Aeroboy on November 1, 2012, 13:32 GMT

ohh, Dale is a class, remember... form is temporary but class is permanent..

• reality_check27 on November 1, 2012, 13:23 GMT

@akm dhl i think u need to see this the other way that yes england did out score india a team but india a team has only one or two players from the actual team and yuvraj bowled better against full strenght english side and got 5 wickets and he is just a part time spinner and thsi was not a turning wicket imagine what ashwin and ojha will do to english line up on a turning track yuvraj bowled better than swan against full strenght english side than swann against india A which has only one player from the actual indian side

• bumsonseats on November 1, 2012, 13:01 GMT

not sure if hes the best managed. but the number of tests the saffars play must help. were the aussies and england the 2 countries who hold test cricket as the highest of the cricketing formats. SA have played the least number of tests of any other test playing side. so as they depend on their quick bowlers so much this can only help them. aus and eng have all had problems with fitness of their fast bowlers so playing 10/11 tests per year less than SA can only help. if steyne had played or been available for those amounts of games would, he have missed by injury or just plain knacked. it was not till i read this piece and looked at the ICC list of games played, and it made sense. if you want to stay top and keep your bowlers fresh do as the saffars do agree to any teams request to play less tests. as aus and eng, bowl their bowlers into the ground while the saffars sit at home playing only test series of 2/3 tests they can be the worlds best for the net 10 years

• on November 1, 2012, 11:39 GMT

If India seems to stating tit for tat to England - So early on in this series then England came on the Top after the 1st game. I remember, while in England last year India faced only 1 or 2 England Test Prospects in their 1st game and they did not do that well either. Where as on the other hand, in their very first inning, England comfortably Not only out score an Indian Team with few Test Prospects, they kind of left them reeling @ 65/4 (after the margin). More to look for when Elites will face the Visitor. Any body including Players from the Indian Team want to revise the forecast of the outcome of the Series @ this point?

• Arrow011 on November 1, 2012, 9:40 GMT

Australian pace attack nowadays look like musical chairs with none having assurance that he will feature in the next test. How can there be Mc grath, Kapil, Ambrose or Akram with over 350 wickets, when promising fast bowlers are not played consistently? Injury to the body should the fast bowler's headache & not the board's. It is rubbish policy, you cannot expect Pattinson to bowl like steyn without continuous match experience. The best 11 should play.

• Pacelikefire_Samrat on November 1, 2012, 9:32 GMT

Our Indian bowlers can surely take a leaf out of Steyn's book.Here is a guy who has been the spearhead of the South African attack for the last 6years now;he is 29 and still he puts in extraordinary effort into each and every delivery.Simply put he still propels it at 150kmph and gets it to swing bananas.Thats what is needed to win Test matches.Here in India we have bowlers who burst on to the international scene with raw pace and in the 2nd season start bowling at mid 130's at the max and back it up saying they are focussing on the finer aspects of seam and swing-the result is for all of us to see.India has lost many matches it should have won and we are still searching for Fast bowlers.Like an eminently quotable bowler said once,"Focus on pace,line and length will come later".Our bowlers also should thinking on those lines and hopefully we would also find some1 like Steyn pretty soon rather than guys like Munaf,Sreesanth,Ishant who flatter to deceive.

• on November 1, 2012, 9:29 GMT

Steyn is an icon, other fast bowlers must learn from him. His match scheduling should be followed by every fast bowlers and every cricketers who are more likely to fall in injury.

• on November 1, 2012, 9:21 GMT

People say that there have been great fast bowlers over time. I say that this man IS the greatest fast bowler ever! To bowl at his pace and swing the ball both ways and yet manage to bowl for so many years without a major injury......hats off to Dale Steyn. I think all the bowling greats would agree wid dis, Dale Steyn's longevity along wid his sheer pace makes him the greatest and deadliest ever.

• Unomaas on November 1, 2012, 9:04 GMT

Dale Steyn tends to say the most dramatic things. Wonder if that a is a veiled threat to the Aussies or just classic Dale?

• Match_Referee on November 1, 2012, 9:02 GMT

You can't kill every one with your bouncers... Mr. Steyn. What happened to your bouncers to KP in ENG tour... He simply demolished you... With just 140 Kmph bouncers, you can kill no Aussie batsmen...lol...

• nthuq on November 1, 2012, 9:02 GMT

With full respect to the man, South Africa does play less test matches than other top nations. They've only played 25 in the qualifying period for the ICC test rankings, compared to Australia's 34, England's 36 and India's 32. There can be no doubt that that's helped.

• Marktc on November 1, 2012, 8:48 GMT

...without a doubt he will be remembered as one of the great...and he is still humble..

• HatsforBats on November 1, 2012, 8:40 GMT

I agree with the premise of the article but not the first paragraph. Steyn operates in the high 130's to 140's. It's his ability to suprise batsman by pushing his pace into the 150's without changing his action that is his best weapon, he's not pushing the envelope every delivery.

• RVC-38 on November 1, 2012, 8:40 GMT

@ Chilly Kuttan, you obviously have not seen him wicketkeep

• Mervo on November 1, 2012, 8:40 GMT

Very sensible. Keeping him out of all those interminable and forgettable T20s! He has Test records to establish.

• stormy16 on November 1, 2012, 8:31 GMT

Awesome talent and great bowler. One of the few genuine fast bowlers around but pace is only one of his talents. THe outswinger to the righty is lethal and his control is amazing with hardly any lose deliveries. Love his passion for the game too - comes accross as old fashioned no nonsense fat bowler with skills that few can match.

• Praxis on November 1, 2012, 8:30 GMT

For how man years this guy has been the top bowler? Its amazing! He is being humble & all saying there are better bowlers than him now probably. He is the best.

• on November 1, 2012, 7:55 GMT

@ Manie Meyer and Sunny Chaudhary----who is ur fav bowler??Ntni or pollock??

• on November 1, 2012, 7:47 GMT

dale steyn is the future of south african batting

• Mahesh4811 on November 1, 2012, 7:44 GMT

You gotta love Steyn's bowling! <3

• himohan007 on November 1, 2012, 7:37 GMT

I think the Warrior Steyn and his Co-Warriors Morkel,Philander etc are going end Ricky's career this series.

• on November 1, 2012, 7:26 GMT

"Where else in the world do you get the opportunity to basically kill someone with two bouncers an over? Or try, legally." haha, classic!

...wonder if the aussie batsmen have put in a request yet to reconsider cricket australia's stance on the pitches they are (supposedly) preparing.

• on November 1, 2012, 7:23 GMT

One Of The Best Bowler I have seen bowling .... Others were Jason "Dizzy" Gillespie and Shane Bond .. SA success in Australia relies on him and Kallis .... I would want Boucher to fit in this side and SA white Washed Australia :)

• No featured comments at the moment.

• on November 1, 2012, 7:23 GMT

• on November 1, 2012, 7:26 GMT

• himohan007 on November 1, 2012, 7:37 GMT

• Mahesh4811 on November 1, 2012, 7:44 GMT

You gotta love Steyn's bowling! <3

• on November 1, 2012, 7:47 GMT

dale steyn is the future of south african batting

• on November 1, 2012, 7:55 GMT

@ Manie Meyer and Sunny Chaudhary----who is ur fav bowler??Ntni or pollock??

• Praxis on November 1, 2012, 8:30 GMT