Bangladesh news

Mushfiqur bags Masters degree in History

Mohammad Isam

December 25, 2012

Mushfiqur Rahim is all smiles at the nets session, Dhaka, January 3, 2010
"When I was returning from tours, I had to study at planes and airports, because I had exams the following day" © Associated Press
Players/Officials: Mushfiqur Rahim
Teams: Bangladesh

Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim has followed up his Man of the Series performance in the ODIs against West Indies with another notable achievement: he has completed his Masters degree in History from Jahangirnagar University. It's a rare accomplishment for top professional cricketers and Mushfiqur, who was accorded a reception by the university on Sunday, has said he hopes to set an example for his younger team-mates so that their futures are more secure.

After finishing school and college from BKSP, he joined the university in 2007 and has now completed an honours and masters. The specialisation in the latter was in contemporary South Asian history, and he finished with an impressive CGPA of 3.49. According to Mushfiqur, it wasn't a solo effort as his classmates and teachers ensured he didn't miss anything while playing for Bangladesh.

"This degree is a huge honour for me," Mushfiqur said. "Apart from my efforts, I would give credit to the university teachers and my friends who guided and assisted me. I couldn't attend most of the classes, and had to take notes from my friends while the university authorities made sure my attendance wasn't an issue.

"The teachers also considered my attendance issues because my cricket commitments didn't allow me to attend regular classes. I also had to work extra hard but whenever possible, I went for classes and took the exams."

Mushfiqur's degree is a major boost for him personally and a source of inspiration for cricketers in the country, especially the younger ones. It goes to show how education and an international career can be managed in Bangladesh where most cricketers abandon their studies to pursue the game professionally.

As a result, Mushfiqur wants to stress on the importance of education in the young players' lives, though he believes it is ultimately a matter of choice. "Cricket is just a part of life, there's nothing more important than education. I think it should be a message to our younger fans.

"Everyone has their own philosophy in life, and if they want to study I would say it is their choice. It is not easy to handle both. I always encourage those younger than me that they must take their education seriously."

Mushfiqur described the scramble ahead of exams, most of which he had to appear in isolation as he would usually miss the scheduled dates. "You wouldn't believe it but when I was returning from tours, I had to study at planes and airports, because I had exams the following day.

"Between matches maybe everyone else was free to roam around whichever country we were playing in, but I had to take notes and stay back in the hotel to study. But my team-mates were nice, they never teased me."

He found inspiration from within his family and also from Kumar Sangakkara, especially the manner in which the Sri Lankan cricketer has carried himself over the years. "It is appreciated that someone like Sangakkara's sports personality is shaped by his education. He is obviously an inspiration.

"After I had completed my Higher Secondary Certificate exam, I didn't want to pursue studies but I was reminded of its importance. My family encouraged me, told me not to give up on studies. They are very proud of me and I am inspiring my younger brothers and sisters in the family by doing two things at a time."

In future, Mushfiqur hopes to work closer to his sport than history, saying that the degree has taught him many lessons about life. "I have to give cricket a lot of time but I learned a lot by going through the process of graduating, and I want to do an MBA or a PhD, preferably on something close to cricket so that I can add that to my current profession."

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent

RSS Feeds: Mohammad Isam

Posted by Warm_Coffee on (December 27, 2012, 11:43 GMT)

It must have been so difficult for him to study on planes and in airports but the key thing we're missing from here is that he still had the 'desire' to achieve a masters despite missing so much class and has a sporting career brilliant!

Posted by   on (December 27, 2012, 11:14 GMT)

@getsetgopk...lolz good effort but failed as Mr Rakibul stole my words. Hard to swallow that a Bangladesh captain achieved such a feat isn't it? don't be jealous :P :)

Posted by   on (December 27, 2012, 11:04 GMT)

I must say that Education is the Backbone of a Country. And it should not be surprising why bangladeshi players cannot speak in english or why our country cannot grow up. It will be a great inspiration for the youngsters and they i guarantee that now mushfiq will play far better than before and even if he quits cricket he can do something with this certificate in life. WELL DONE!!!

Posted by   on (December 27, 2012, 10:24 GMT)

Its good for him and for us. Good Luck Mushfiq..........

Posted by   on (December 27, 2012, 9:27 GMT)

Congratulation Mussi!! hope you can do better in future.

Posted by M_Rakibul_Islam on (December 27, 2012, 6:53 GMT)

@ getsetgopk: lol. How can u tell he hasn't bagged anything on the cricket after wining ODI series against current T20 World champ WI & being Asia Cup runner up? In fact he was Man of the ODI series vs WI.

Posted by getsetgopk on (December 27, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

Good for him, he's not bagging anything on the cricket field so he and his BD fans might just enjoy this piece of news LOL

Posted by   on (December 26, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

Mushi is nothing sort of a genius. I have seen him playing for his department in Jahangir nogor university last week.. such a wonderful person he is.. I remember he acheived Golden A+ from arts department during his HSC. He is a talent you dont see everyday.. I am a big fan...

Posted by   on (December 26, 2012, 12:21 GMT)

Nice to see at least younger generation tends to get a good education now. Good luck Mushfiqur.

Posted by   on (December 26, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

Congratulations Mushfiq.. wish u all the best..

Posted by Sidath346 on (December 26, 2012, 10:25 GMT)

Many congratulations Mushfiq!! This is an example not only for the young Bangladeshi cricketers but also to other budding sportsmen the world over. Only few do studies and sports at the same time. All the best for an awesome future. From a Sri Lankan fan.

Posted by anver777 on (December 26, 2012, 6:01 GMT)

Very well done Rahim !! Its not easy to concentrate on both.... keep shinning !!!

Posted by farab on (December 26, 2012, 5:02 GMT)

Year 2020. Dr. Rahim has attended the conference on "Education for younger cricketers " at BKSP. (Breaking News) .

Posted by   on (December 26, 2012, 3:31 GMT)

Excellent achievement. Well done to Rahim.

Posted by   on (December 26, 2012, 1:04 GMT)

Nice to see him excelling in both sport and academics. Congrats Mushfiqur

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 22:31 GMT)

i dont know what good a history degree can do, but well done. I wudve encouraged a degree on physical fitness or nutrition or sth like that which cud translate into a cricketing coaching career.

Posted by OptimusPrimal on (December 25, 2012, 20:09 GMT)

Very hearty congratulations Mushfiqur Rahim from a Pakistani fan. You seem to be one of those players who have a thinking mind. You've done well for your country and yourself by diversifying your future options. I hope to see you doing well even after your cricket playing days.

Posted by ExplicitPlatinum on (December 25, 2012, 19:18 GMT)

Congratulations from a Pak fan ! Hope you gain more success in the future in education and in cricket ! You're also a fantastic captain too !

Posted by Shamim_araf on (December 25, 2012, 17:48 GMT)

Congrates to Tiger Mushfiq for his outstanding achievement!!! go ahead Tiger!

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 17:04 GMT)

Lol....so how is it related to cricket ? Tomm d news wud be Mushfiqur is thinking to study more and thinkin of a course abroad..."Cricinfo" get some life...We expect you to post info regarding cricket and not wat he / she are doing in other fields!

Posted by Ibra95 on (December 25, 2012, 17:02 GMT)

Congratulations Mushfiq for ur achievements, but continue to work hard, then u'll have a good spot in ur life, I want to hear Dr. Mushfiq in cricket!!! =D

Posted by Kingzzzz on (December 25, 2012, 16:41 GMT)

Happy for him!, getting a masters in history requires you to read a lot, I'm really proud how he devotes his time seems to enjoy it a lot.

Posted by i_amVIVA on (December 25, 2012, 14:33 GMT)

WOW, splendid achievement by a cricket giant. Waiting to see a Dr. Mushfiq in the near future. Fantastic news and inspiration for all the youngsters.

Posted by tofazzel on (December 25, 2012, 13:26 GMT)

Congratulations Mushfiqur Rahim

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 13:26 GMT)

Congratulations to Captain Mushfiqur Rahim on this great achievement..I hope he pursues a PhD in future!!

Posted by TheRisingTeam on (December 25, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

Now that is something you want to hear for Cricket that although someone may be having a successful sporting career especially in a long game like Cricket which takes a lot of your time, you can still get other things done and to be getting a mastery degree in a very difficult subject like history is truly astonishingly. This will obviously set a big example to many kids out there and inspire them to achieve the same and these critics say Bangladesh haven't brought anything wonders for the great game of Cricket huh take a bow.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

wow! that's pretty impressive especially for an amazing subject like history. I've always been telling fans of other teams read HISTORY so you don't say foolish of things, such an important yet interesting subject. Our little captain Rahim is respected by many people dearly very fun lad and wish the 24 year old well and help continue to deliver success for the Bangladesh team, he's maturing and becoming very experience now cheers.

Posted by Purbo23 on (December 25, 2012, 12:20 GMT)

Congrats and all the best

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 12:10 GMT)

Congratulation,Captain!!! Leading from top:)

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 11:37 GMT)

- Lecturer, Independent University Bangladesh.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 11:34 GMT)

Congratulations Mushfiq!! May Allah help you achieve greater things in life, you have set an amazing example for the young generation.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 11:26 GMT)

Congratulation. Its a great achievement.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 11:09 GMT)

This guy was a bright student we knew it and now it has been proved again, CGPA 3.49 is awesome.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 10:34 GMT)

seems that he is hardworking

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 10:14 GMT)

Congratulations Mushfiqur Rahim !! hope to see you playing in Karachi

Posted by bdsmaruf on (December 25, 2012, 9:44 GMT)

congratulation musfiq. higher education always helpfull for cricket. we love you.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

awesome....Thumbs Up Mushfiq.....I hope u can now guide d youngsters in ur team like Gazi,Nasir,Anamul,Abul,Mominul etc

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

good job..you deserved to have it ..

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 8:56 GMT)

congratulation captain.....best luck with phD

Posted by Tipu606 on (December 25, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

great !! congratulations!! he is perhaps Bangladesh's best gentleman cricketer.Now he should get married.

Posted by SpitFire on (December 25, 2012, 8:19 GMT)

I thought he just passed, but CGPA of 3.49 is quite impressive! Congratz Mr. Captain!

Posted by Sinhaya on (December 25, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

Well done and congratulations! Phenomenal achievement!

Posted by humi_cric on (December 25, 2012, 7:40 GMT)

I like Bangla captain very much because of his simplicity, can't control emotions (as most of the people of this part of the world, a true representation). Still remember his face (laughing) while hitting sixes against India in Asia cup and had tears after loosing the final against PaK. Congratulation Bro (From Pakistan), hope you will take your team to deserving position (in the right direction).

Posted by swat1999 on (December 25, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

Congratulation and wel done Mr.Mushfiqur. Very good example for all young cricketers. Seems he is very punctual and briliant. Wel done Mushfiqur

Posted by Bilal94 on (December 25, 2012, 7:31 GMT)

Now people should call Mufiq "Professor" instead od Hafeez

Posted by saifur.raffael on (December 25, 2012, 6:39 GMT)

Thumbs Up Mushfiq.....I hope u can now guide d youngsters in ur team like Gazi,Nasir,Anamul,Abul,Mominul etc. 2 follow ur footsteps,,, d educations is also important ...wid d higher studies u can be much more involved wid cricket and media (commentary) after d retirement............

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 6:33 GMT)

Respect. Congratulations to him.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (December 25, 2012, 6:14 GMT)

An educated man will ALWAYS find respect everywhere in this world. Education is an investment. Well done and congratulations Mushfiq.

Posted by khurdum on (December 25, 2012, 6:04 GMT)

Congratulations. Thanks to almighty Allah for helping you achieving highest degree from the University. I hope you would be able to guide the team towards further prosperity. Let the Allah be with you always. For mankind, specially for Muslims, after every achievement it is the Allah who should be praised first. I know you have done the same also. Because i have seen ur father in the field praying for you constantly during matches. Before deciding to go to pakistan, please take advice from ur parents. If they say no, don't go. BCB trying to push you in danger situation for personal benefit but u don't have anything to achieve personally. Without ICC clearance, should not decide to visit pakistan of their own. If something goes wrong, ICC will not shoulder any responsibility for mishaps. Let ICC give clearance and arrange matches with other countries also.

Posted by halimran on (December 25, 2012, 5:14 GMT)

Congatulation bro.....................

Posted by Khaled_Shahed on (December 25, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

Congratulations to Mushfiq. You, indeed, achived something very special and rare...I salute for your commitment. My experience was..I left cricket long ago to follow my professional career..because I did not have courage to continue both. Had you set this example 15 years ago, someone like me could have followed your path.

Posted by   on (December 25, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

He got master in History when another little Master now part of history

Mohammad IsamClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
Kalabagan CA v Mohammedan at Fatullah - Nov 22
Kalabagan CA won by 79 runs
Kalabagan KC v PSC at Savar (3) - Nov 22
Kalabagan KC won by 71 runs
Old DOHS v Prime Bank at Savar (4) - Nov 22
Prime Bank won by 41 runs
2nd ODI: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Chittagong
Nov 23, 2014 (12:30 local | 06:30 GMT | 01:30 EST | 00:30 CST | 22:30 PST)
Brothers v Sheikh Jamal at Savar (4)
Nov 24, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:00 GMT | 22:00 EST | 21:00 CST | 19:00 PST)
Kalabagan CA v Prime DSC at Fatullah
Nov 24, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:00 GMT | 22:00 EST | 21:00 CST | 19:00 PST)
Rupganj v Victoria SC at Savar (3)
Nov 24, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:00 GMT | 22:00 EST | 21:00 CST | 19:00 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »