Shakib threatens to quit international cricket
BCB president Nazmul Hasan has said that he has received a message from coach Chandika Hathurusingha that Shakib Al Hasan has threatened to quit playing Tests and ODIs for Bangladesh. Two days ago, the board had asked Shakib to return to the country immediately while he was on his way to Barbados to participate in the Caribbean Premier League.
Shakib apparently made the threat after Hathurusingha had recently asked him to return to Bangladesh's training camp on August 1, which would have ended his CPL campaign earlier than he would have wanted. The CPL runs from July 11 to August 16.
"I have received a letter in this regard," Nazmul told the Bengali daily Prothom Alo. "I don't understand how he [Shakib] can say such a thing. I want to speak to them in person. If this is indeed true, nobody will be spared. There will be no compromise on discipline."
This is not the first time that Bangladesh players have expressed dissatisfaction. In 2013, Bangladesh's tour of Zimbabwe clashed with the IPL, which meant that Shakib and Tamim Iqbal would miss the lucrative T20 tournament.
Shakib is likely to join the camp, which began on July 1, from Sunday but Nazmul said that the allrounder may not be allowed to play in the CPL for breaking discipline.
"There is very little possibility to give the NOC [No-Objection Certificate]. He has broken the discipline. We are very strict in this regard. The board will take a decision on giving him the NOC in the July 7 meeting."
Apart from earlier disciplinary breaches during his international career, Shakib has had several run-ins with authority this year too. His infamous lewd gesture towards the camera during the Bangladesh-Sri Lanka ODI series earned him a three-match ban, and at the moment, a BCB disciplinary committee is investigating his alleged brawl with a spectator during a Bangladesh-India game last month.
Shakib's threat is the first time that a Bangladesh player has openly spoken about leaving international cricket.