Bangladesh news December 4, 2014

Shakib's NOC restriction lifted

The BCB has ended the restriction on no-objection certificates being issued to Bangladesh allrounder Shakib Al Hasan, leaving him free to participate in overseas tournaments, the board president Nazmul Hassan has said.

"He has no barrier to play abroad. We have lifted the embargo on his NOC," Hassan said. "It was a unanimous decision on behalf of the BCB's board of directors."

On July 7, Shakib was banned for six months and told he would not be granted NOCs to play in overseas competitions until December 31, 2015. He was punished for "serious misbehaviour" with the Bangladesh coach Chandika Hathurusingha and an altercation with a spectator during an ODI against India in Mirpur.

The BCB later reduced his ban by three a half months on August 26, letting him play for Bangladesh from September 15. On Tuesday, Hassan had said in an impromptu press briefing that the restriction would be lifted within a couple of days, and Shakib will be available to play in the Big Bash League from December 18.

Hassan said Shakib's improvement in behaviour had been noticed by the board and that he had shown "leadership' qualities. "We are not against our players," Hassan said. "However, there are times when situations demand strict measures. The ban and NOC embargo on Shakib was a message to everyone that we will not compromise with discipline.

"I am glad that the player took the sanctions in the right spirit and showed his character by coming back strongly. I believe the outcome in the context of the Bangladesh team has also been positive and we have definitely seen greater teamwork and camaraderie during the series against Zimbabwe."

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84

Comments