Australia v Sri Lanka, CB Series 2nd final, Adelaide March 6, 2012

Jayawardene fined for arguing with umpires

ESPNcricinfo staff

Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene has been fined 10% of his match fee for arguing with the umpires during the second final of the CB Series in Adelaide. Jayawardene was found to have breached Article 2.1.3 of the ICC Code of Conduct which relates to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision during an international match".

The incident happened during the 44th over of the Australia innings when Farveez Maharoof bowled a waist-high full toss to Michael Clarke, who pulled it to the square-leg boundary for a four. The umpire declared it a no-ball after a delay, but Jayawardene wasn't pleased and had an animated discussion with both the on-field umpires, Asad Rauf and Bruce Oxenford.

Jayawardene said after the match that he wasn't disputing the no-ball, only that the umpires took too long to call it.

"I think I was the culprit, dragging it for too long. I thought initially the umpire didn't make a call, and took too long," Jayawardene said. "I had no issue with the no-ball. waist high or whatever. But I felt that after Michael (Clarke) had spoken to him, that's when he had made the call. So I have been fined for that. That puts something in my report. That's all."

The ICC match referee, Chris Broad, said that Jayawardene pleaded guilty to the offence and apologised.

"It is understandable that Mahela Jayawardene felt disappointed after Farveez Maharoof's delivery, which had been dispatched for a boundary, was also declared as a no-ball for a full toss above waist height," Broad said.

"But as one of the senior most players in world cricket today and also as the captain of his side, Jayawardene must maintain a certain level of self-control and clearly his actions went beyond what would be deemed acceptable."

Edited by Kanishkaa Balachandran

• brisCricFan on March 8, 2012, 0:27 GMT

Can I add that it was Mahela that pointed out to the umpires the no-ball for too few players inside the circle in the first final... also a call that came only after it was referred for a replay as both onfield umpires missed the play. More than anything, his behaviour after Clarke did much the same thing looked worse. Win some and lose some as far as I'm concerned... Dilshan got a definite edge on that ball from Watson and the umpires missed that in fact gave a clanger of a wrong decision... that is cricket. In this day and age of technology when it can be shown beyond all doubt, does not walking on those decisions compare to claiming a close catch that is reviewed and replays show it may have turfed just before the hands? Lets leave some chance and humanity in the game of cricket. Win some and lose some.

• Dhushan on March 7, 2012, 9:27 GMT

I feel for Mahela in this case. The fielding was not up to standard & his frustration came out in this incident. But how come the umpires decide the no ball when the batsmen tell them? They should have called earlier or not called at all. End of story. Good that Sri Lanka won or else it would have been salt on the wounds.

• virajfree2 on March 7, 2012, 7:52 GMT

Mahela will not angry if umpires did their job in a decent way. They already made a mistake, didnt call a no-ball until batsmen ask. Once they realize their mistake, they should go to the opposition's captain first and should update him. I think MJ got fined because of another's mistake. A bit shameful i guess!!!.

• yasask on March 7, 2012, 7:13 GMT

@straight_drive4 mahela was only angry because the umpires descision was only changed because clarke asked for it to be. watsons one wasnt a player influenced descision. dilshan had the right to stay in his crease and he did, whether it complied with the spirit of cricket or not, its not in the rules.

• dsklokuge on March 7, 2012, 4:08 GMT

I couldn't accept both mahela and umpire what did they at middel of the pitch . but mahela should respect the umpire decision . that is not really decent , umpire gave signal as a "No ball" after ball was death . but some batsmen ask about "No ball" when they out from High fulltoss . that time also ball was death . but umpire can make a decision what times was cost to make a right decision. Mahela should understand this . this is not hidden secret, any team who plays at Australia against them have to face this type of circumentance. . we remember we had to face same like 1995 regarding marali's no ball. if they do it is right , if others do , it is totally wrong . MIddle of the cricket is not fair for other everytime. good luck sri lankan boys u have a 1 nice games to win.No need to worry top 2 batsmen will not comes from opposite side warner and clerk , that will be really benefits.

• kunderanengineer on March 7, 2012, 4:02 GMT

@straight_drive4. I and many others who watched the game, would beg to disagree with you when you say that after Watson's appeal for caught behind was rejected he "played in the spirit of the game and didn't say a word to the umpire". I don't know which game you were watching but even an inexperienced lip reader could clearly identify the invectives directed toward the umpire by Watson. Secondly concerning the Mahela incident you say "I don't even know why he blew up- the umpire changing his call to a no-ball after the delivery is a common occurrence". I'd like to point out that there is a big difference between umpires conferring with each other and changing the decision as opposed to an umpire changing his decision after conferring with the opposition captain! This is what Mahela was objecting to and rightfully so!!

• kunderanengineer on March 7, 2012, 3:37 GMT

I'm in no way defending Mahela's actions and I feel the fine was justified. However, I feel there are too many grey areas and inconsistencies in the interpretation of the rules in cricket. For example it did not take an expert lip reader to determine what Shane Watson said to Asad Rauf when his appeal for caught behind against Dilshan was turned down. I suppose it's OK to direct abusive language towards an umpire and somehow that doesn't count as dissent but rather just frustration on Watson's part. I'm sure there must be an article in the code of conduct that applies to this. If the player had been Kohli (someone with a reputation of being a hot-head) instead of Watson, would the incident have been ignored? I wonder.

• acmemc on March 7, 2012, 2:56 GMT

It is for the umpires to decide on NO-BALLS and there is no appeal available for batsman to get a no ball called. So in this instance the umpires decision was was first questioned by Clarke as he is the one who pointed out that the umpires decision was wrong. Then why don't they fine him ?

• srriaj317 on March 7, 2012, 2:40 GMT

I see many SL fans are conveniently forgetting some facts and talking about one-sided umpiring. (1) Mahela is not the first to be fined for this act. Ponting was fined before and reprimanded during the Ashes. The only person I can remember getting away is MS Dhoni in this series. (2) The umpires called a late no-ball in the 1st final after Sangakkara asked them to look at the field and count the fielders outside the circle. Clarke didn't protest - he nodded and brought third-man in. I know Mahela is a passionate person but his on-field demeanour has deteriorated sharply in the last 2 years. I remember he volleyed some verbals at Clarke in the last test series when Clarke correctly claimed Mahela's low catch.

• Udendra on March 7, 2012, 2:18 GMT

IMO the umpiring falted. we saw on tv how Clark and the other batsman asked for the No ball. that's gentleman-like?

• brisCricFan on March 8, 2012, 0:27 GMT

• Dhushan on March 7, 2012, 9:27 GMT

• virajfree2 on March 7, 2012, 7:52 GMT

• yasask on March 7, 2012, 7:13 GMT

• dsklokuge on March 7, 2012, 4:08 GMT

• kunderanengineer on March 7, 2012, 4:02 GMT

• kunderanengineer on March 7, 2012, 3:37 GMT

• acmemc on March 7, 2012, 2:56 GMT

• srriaj317 on March 7, 2012, 2:40 GMT

• Udendra on March 7, 2012, 2:18 GMT

• Shehan4u on March 7, 2012, 1:47 GMT

Well atleast Mahela spoke..I wish he had spoke like this in 2007 WC finals when we were asked to play a 28 over final when two reserve days were available.No team wants to play a 28 over final after 4 years of hard work...

• johnathonjosephs on March 7, 2012, 1:44 GMT

Really want to see UDRS back. Its a disgrace the Indians still don't accept it. Two umpiring delays/mistakes really took the mood off of the fielding side today. First was a delayed call from the umpires for a 4/no ball and the 2nd was when the Aussies were bowling and had Dilshan out against Watson. Both Incidents really took the mood off the team

• SL_No1_FAN on March 7, 2012, 1:44 GMT

Mahela went overboard for sure.... but he made a valid point. Umpires did take a long time to make that decision(Correct decision) and only after Clarke ask for it and probably hearing it from 3rd umpire while checking for 6/4. If thats the case, Match referee or governing body should look into it.

• johnathonjosephs on March 7, 2012, 1:28 GMT

Never seen Mahela this mad, but in real honesty, I think in the heat of the moment and watching his "fielders" drop and misfield so many in a must win Final, the no ball just ignited the dynamite. In all honesty, Michael Clarke was at fault to a certain extent. The umpires first made the mistake of calling it a 6 and Dilshan angrily signalled it for a 4 and it took a long time for the umpires to say it was a 4. They had already decided against calling it a no ball, and then Clarke goes to the umpire and raised the question. It was Mahela's fault for arguing with the umpires, but at the same time Clarke shouldn't have asked for a no ball. It was Mahela's fault and it really killed the mood in the Sri Lankan field (if it wasn't already killed). Umpires made the mistake of giving Dilshan a life on 70 against Shane Watson. Really think UDRS should have been used between the two sides. India's out now, so why hold back?

• straight_drive4 on March 6, 2012, 23:57 GMT

this is ridiculous!! how can he only be fined 10% of his match fee??? i am an australian supporter and IMO he did much more damage to the game then dhoni did but dhoni got suspended twice. he showed blatant disregard on SEVERAL occasions and just kept going and going after he was told at least 3 times to stop. the umpires regularly get decisions wrong - its part of the game. australia copped it with the caught behind off watsons bowling. watson played in the spirit of the game and didnt say a single word to the umpire. this is not the first time jayawardene has done this but i think its the first time he has been fined. he has been a protected species for way too long. that outburst justifies a one game suspension. shame on you ICC for letting him get away with it. i dont even know why he blew up! the umpire changing his call (to a no ball) after the delivery is a frequent occurrence - look what happened when mckay got him out! different circumstances but exact same result!!

• S305 on March 6, 2012, 23:36 GMT

I am a SL fan, but Mahela outburst was quite unnecessary. But in the same light, Watson said some harsh words, and should have been fined. Hope captaincy isn't placing too much stress on him.

• ami77 on March 6, 2012, 23:18 GMT

I haven't seen Mahela doing this before. This is very out of character for him even though I have seen such things from many other players around the world. Especially Australian team. But I hardly hear anyone get punished for that. They might have decided to punish him because they don't expect it from MJ.

I think there are other factors contributing this incident when MJ desides to argue. Many countries have had very bad treatments when they visit Australia. That's a known fact. I can still remember the incident in 1995 when Darrel Hair did a similar thing as an umpire. However those things make the team much stronger and united.

• SLDude on March 6, 2012, 22:31 GMT

Mahela.... this is not acceptable with any given circumstances. don't be panic like this again. be cool like sanga. hold your nerves to the end

• Number_5 on March 6, 2012, 22:09 GMT

Well played SL, i think this is a harsh call on the SL skip. The SL team definitely lifted a cog after this and were clearly the better team on the day and must now go into the 3rd final fav. When the Adelaide pitch plays like that, 280-300 is a par score and you always sensed Aus did not make enough. I will be interested to see how the pitch holds up, slower, lower, a bit two paced is how it usually plays after a few days of play...time will tell..

• D.I.S.Grace on March 6, 2012, 22:00 GMT

It used to be right is might but nowadays might is right. Chris Broad is no starnger to fining the SL players/teams - look at the stats as to how Broad ends up as the match referee for SL matches. Umpires make the call , no need to be prompted , they have all the off field support to make the right decision. Sanga's call for the field restriction was against the rules of the game , not a dispute of a desicion.

• frank2011 on March 6, 2012, 20:26 GMT

Well, I don't know about the fine. I think it was a bit harsh to give Mahela a fine. I mean, there's a battle going on out there in the middle and the little general has every right to complain against the late call by the umpire. The umpire was at fault there. Maybe the fine should have gone to the umpire for the late call :)

• Nutcutlet on March 6, 2012, 20:10 GMT

Let's get this clear, Mahela was very much caught up in the heat of the moment, and Clarke's mischievous prompt of the umpire to call a no-ball retrospectively was, IMO, also questioning an umpire's decision (the decision not to call a no-ball), although his manner was more restrained. There are players round the world who have what I'd term 'Integrity Capital' and MJ is very definitely high on that list, thus his reputation has not suffered in any way. Moreover, I would imagine that the skipper's passionate and heated altercation spurred the rest of the team into going into overdrive. From that moment the SL team seemed to respond; Malinga found some devastating form at the end of the Oz innings and the batting that followed exposed the threadbare nature of this overhyped Australian attack. This is becoming a fine and united SL side (although it needs work on its catching!) under his leadership.

• kapowie on March 6, 2012, 20:00 GMT

Everyone conveniently forgets that Sanga did the same thing last game in calling for a no ball after the delivery because Australia only had 3 in the circle during the power play. What is good for some, must be good for all

• Rick777 on March 6, 2012, 19:45 GMT

Mahela was wrong to show dissent to the umpires. But the same should apply to all teams which is not the case. I have seen enough times where Aussies have got away after such incidents. Also the umpires should be penalized for their faults...

• Bang_La on March 6, 2012, 19:45 GMT

So since Michael Clerk from mighty Australia pointed out the no ball, umpires had to agree to that even though the time limit for any call was elapsed. Great.

• Flighted_kiwi on March 6, 2012, 18:49 GMT

OK - what Jayawardene did was wrong and he has apologised and accepted his punishment. He does have a point though and umpires and match referees should be consistent. If a bowler charges at an umpire pleading it is frowned upon but it seems to be perfectly acceptable for batsmen to plead with umpires by asking or signalling. This is largely out of character for Jayawardene but seems to be regular behaviour from other players who often get away unpunished. There is also the suspicion that if the situation had been reversed that Clarke would have gone unpunished and maybe Jayawardene as the batsmen would have been censured. Rightly or wrongly there is a perception built up over the years that visiting teams in Australia tend to get censured more strictly than Australian players. Perception is everything and the ICL, match referees & umpires should be scrutinising decisions carefuly to ensure that their decisions are even-handed. The suspicion is that there exists unintended bias.

• seantells on March 6, 2012, 18:07 GMT

that fine is just fine! well done mahela

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on March 6, 2012, 18:01 GMT

While the no-ball call is correct, what took the umpire so long?

• ali3148 on March 6, 2012, 17:57 GMT

fine jaya got fined!!! but what about watson indulged in argument with umpire asad rauf? why he isn't fined? any one hello helloo.........

• play_fair on March 6, 2012, 17:53 GMT

It was very clear the umpire called it a no ball after Clark refused to go to the crease...Always a no ball or a wide will be called first before a boundary...but in this case it took so long after calling the boundary...On the other hand Mahela dragged the incident a bit more but that is the only way to make you heard these days. I'm pretty sure that forced Warner to come and field else he would have done same thing he did in the 1st final. Score a century and rest the entire innings and come and blast in the next match. How fair is that? I felt that incident lifted the game of sri lankans. It was evident when batting...they wanted to rattle aussies which they did convincingly….

• khurrambhai on March 6, 2012, 17:50 GMT

Umpairs look speechless in front of Aussies especially in Aus ... there should have been some words (answer) from Chris Board there was delay calling it no ball and why after Clarke's call ... ???

• Vasum on March 6, 2012, 17:43 GMT

Match referee Broad doesn't inquire properly, before making the decision. Mahela asked the Umpire why delay in singaling, its not breashing the rules? Luckly umpire didn't singal after the inning over / end of the match. Wake up Umpires.

• DilumSL on March 6, 2012, 17:40 GMT

what is the wrong in arguing as long as it is done in polite manner??? and why Watson is not finned for his words. Still arguing is better then screaming at umpires and other players.

• Punjin on March 6, 2012, 16:28 GMT

Q Still remains, If its a call of ball above waist. Did the Sq leg umpire Asad call it? it's his call n if he called late than main umpire is justified..

• Nampally on March 6, 2012, 16:24 GMT

When players violate any rule in cricket they are fined heavily. Why should the Umpires get away with similar violations & expect the players to take that? The Umpire should also have been asked for justification + fined for his lapse in doing his job in a timely manner. The third Umpire Broad also has failed in his duty for not getting any explanation for this umpiring lapse & deserved to be fined by ICC.

• MeSL on March 6, 2012, 16:01 GMT

Oh for god's sake, just let go of this! So what if he does it once in a while unlike Ponting? But also, apologizes after such an incident accepting he's at fault. That's why he's a true gentleman! Let's go Lanka, to the decider. Go Sri Lanka!

• Punjin on March 6, 2012, 15:56 GMT

A few bad rules that ICC needs to correct- Warning for Mankading, Discrepency in rules- Captain baaned for game for slow bowling vs. monetary fine for arguing on field with umpire or challenging umpire decison.WHICH IS MORE SERIOUS? Umpires not calling or afraid to make controvercial decisions.. Umpires warn bowlers for running on danger zone but fail to warn batsman, specially when they are running in danger zone to block the stumps from getting run out..

• satish619chandar on March 6, 2012, 15:34 GMT

Well.. To be fair, Mahela was not disappointed because it was hit for four and also it was a no ball.. The umpire just gave it very late and after prompting from Clarke.. I would agree if umpire consulted the third umpire if he was in doubt and gave the right decision but prompting from batsman shouldn't have been done.. Though he did argue, he had a point to argue.. I don't see any wrong in it.. 10% is a decent one if at all you want to punish for that incident..

• CHINAMAN_UK on March 6, 2012, 15:10 GMT

Agree with your sentiment SunnyDelite

• Tumbarumbar on March 6, 2012, 15:03 GMT

Three points, the first is that everyone is putting words into Clarke's mouth, the second is that the ball was an above waist high full toss that, if it hadn't been called, would have suggested the umpires were incompetent, the third thing is why isn't this all about Mahela not being given out caught behind which was clearly a much greater blunder by the same umpire?

• hawkeye30 on March 6, 2012, 14:47 GMT

It was wrong on mahela's part to argue with an umpire. He was bait animated due to the situation of the game. ICC has fined him and rightly so. But after all, it's human what happen.

• Tusker17 on March 6, 2012, 14:41 GMT

MJ, Was well within his right to ask "why" it was no-balled after MC had a chat !

• royramesh on March 6, 2012, 14:35 GMT

Mahela is wrong whichever way you look at it and despite whatever explanation he gives. The fielding capt hasnt no right to object during play if the umpire makes a mistake ( not in this case) or makes a decisiion late in this case. If Mahela know anything about the LAWS, can he show where it says that the umpire is wrong to call a no ball late? He can argue after the innings or match but not on the field with pointing fingers at the umpire. For his information the umpire should have called No Ball for Maharoof back foot no ball when he bowled the beamer to Clarke.

• Migara on March 6, 2012, 14:01 GMT

Interesting to see if broad does the same for Aussie captain.

• A.Ak on March 6, 2012, 14:00 GMT

Why no one answered his question "why it took so long?","only after Clarke spoke to umpires?". Whatever it was, SL won. well played.

• SLMaster on March 6, 2012, 13:59 GMT

I think this is good sometimes from Mahela. There are rules to fine players but not umpires. These types of things keep umpires in check. I agree it took too long to give the no-ball decision. I do not think that kind of delay on decisions are acceptable in any sports. Check NBA, NHL or tennis...delay on calls are not acceptable.

• sirvivfan on March 6, 2012, 13:54 GMT

Jaywardene is spot on on this. Clarke put pressure on the umpire and then he reacted. Getting fined for this... come on? Again theres is lot inconsistency as to when people get fined? Any way the result was good for Sri Lanka... well done! They are well suited to playing in Austrailia, certainly there batting is better than Indias in these conditions... no doubt about that... remember Sangakara's knock against England at Rose Bowl! Sri Lanka will win Asia cup... they are well led now!! Muhammed Riaz

• Balumekka on March 6, 2012, 13:47 GMT

That ball was clearly above waist high, so Umpire's decision to rule it a no ball is correct. However, umpires signaled that very very late indeed and that probably had agitated Mahela. This is the first time I saw a Sri Lankan captain pointing finger at an umpire, after Ranatunga-Emerson incident. That time Ranatunga had more than enough justifications. But this time, I think Mahela was little bit over-reacting. Anyway for the best of Sri Lanka, that ended up with only a 10% fine without a match suspension.

• SunnyDelite on March 6, 2012, 13:32 GMT

Replace Jayawardene with Stuart Broad - and see if Chris Broad Says the same still.

• Gordo85 on March 6, 2012, 13:08 GMT

And to think this all started due to the fact Clarkey went up to them and told them what to do. In all honesty I don't like it when players get involved with umpires because it may look like they favour one side and not the other as what sort of happend today. I think they should bring back the days when no Australian umpire would umpire Australian matches and have other umpires from other countries do it. Having said that I feel bad for Paul Reiffel because he is one of the best ones in Australia and shouldn't be punished due to other Australian umpires stuff ups.

• NALINWIJ on March 6, 2012, 12:47 GMT

Whatever the understandable basis of his frustration [dropped catches galore and this silly full toss no ball rule] an apology and a fine is sufficient but a great victory makes up for everything. I will say it again that we have seen a great series going to a conclusion. No one has won the series after losing game2, so can SL do it or will it depend on the injury list.Malinga, Clarke and Warner's injuries and absences may determine the results.What if it is a tie or a washout. Will Sri Lanka be awarded the series?

• Front-Foot-Lunge on March 6, 2012, 12:47 GMT

Has he been taking lessons from Ricky Ponting?

• Prashanth12 on March 6, 2012, 12:45 GMT

This is not fair batsman cant make a call regarding the No ball and umpire should never take batsman suggestion.

Then why dont you take the filders suggestion that he has claimed a fair catch????????

• stormy16 on March 6, 2012, 12:42 GMT

For a wonder Broad didnt ban Mahela for a game - Broad likes to throw his weight around and its a joke this guy should be a referee when his Son is playing test cricket. I dont have a problem with Broads decision though. Also can it be confirmed if the umpire changed his decision after Clark interviened - surely Mahele too is then eintitled to his say. Bet you Broad didnt consider that option.

• voyager on March 6, 2012, 12:38 GMT

Dhoni routinely criticizes umpires. Would they fine him?

• taniap on March 6, 2012, 12:32 GMT

Well, pointing used to do this all the time. How come he never got penalised?

• SLDude on March 6, 2012, 12:30 GMT

mahela... that is not acceptable at any circumstances

• Narbavi on March 6, 2012, 12:23 GMT

just 10% after whatever he did on the field being a captain?? he is one of the gentle guys around and shouldn't have behaved like that even though i understand his logic, i would have fined him 50%

• SriLankanLions on March 6, 2012, 12:20 GMT

Poor Mahela. His team mates gave him a heart attack in the field. You gotta feel for him. I was stunned to see him behave like that. But who cares. Well played MJ. I'm sure we can win the title. :Lions roar:

• Perera32 on March 6, 2012, 12:20 GMT

Oh come on, it was not called a no ball at first and Clarke refused to get on with it and told the umpire that it should be a no ball, Mahela obviously noticed that and said it was unfair. But Mahela did overdo it abit though. An aussie umpire in a game vs australia is abit unfair, they should go back to the old rule with neutral umpires.

• Pathiyal on March 6, 2012, 12:18 GMT

bad day with the argument but good day with the match result and with his own batting! mahela, wish you good luck for thursday's decider.

• Master_Mihil on March 6, 2012, 12:18 GMT

"Mahela says he had no issues about the full toss no-ball, he just had an issue about the late call and Clarke having a word with the umpire. He says he thinks he's been fined for that outburst, and if he gets paid he'll cough up. Hilarious" .. funny :D

• Uppercut07 on March 6, 2012, 12:17 GMT

jayawardene is right,, when u give a batsman "out" . u cant say he s "not out" after having a chat with da batsman(irrespective whether its really out or not). same goes here if da umpire didnt call it da 1st time, he cant call it afterwards at da request of da batsman

• No featured comments at the moment.

• Uppercut07 on March 6, 2012, 12:17 GMT

• Master_Mihil on March 6, 2012, 12:18 GMT

• Pathiyal on March 6, 2012, 12:18 GMT

• Perera32 on March 6, 2012, 12:20 GMT

• SriLankanLions on March 6, 2012, 12:20 GMT

• Narbavi on March 6, 2012, 12:23 GMT

• SLDude on March 6, 2012, 12:30 GMT

mahela... that is not acceptable at any circumstances

• taniap on March 6, 2012, 12:32 GMT

Well, pointing used to do this all the time. How come he never got penalised?

• voyager on March 6, 2012, 12:38 GMT

Dhoni routinely criticizes umpires. Would they fine him?

• stormy16 on March 6, 2012, 12:42 GMT