England news January 20, 2013

English players warned off Pakistan Super League

ESPNcricinfo staff

The Pakistan Super League is set to become the latest money-spinning Twenty20 competition but English players have again be warned against participating.

The PSL is scheduled to be launched on March 26 and could be worth more than $100 million according to organisers but the Professional Cricketers Association, England's players' union, is reported to have "grave concerns" about security in Pakistan. It has contacted each county asking them to refuse to issue No Objection Certificates - which would deny players permission to take part.

"Our advice is that players should not take part in the PSL," PCA chief executive, Angus Porter, told the Mail on Sunday. "I'm certain England will not issue No Objection Certificates to their centrally contracted players."

The PCA also expressed apprehension over the Bangladesh Premier League but several English players have been involved in the first two editions. Worries over payment guarantees haven't deterred the likes of Joe Denly, the Middlesex batsman, who had his county's backing to take up an offer to join Barisal Burners earlier in the week. Ravi Bopara, Owais Shah and Phil Mustard are among other English players at the BPL.

But counties have been less inclined to allow their players permission to play in the IPL, which clashes with the start of the English season. Alex Hales, Michael Lumb and Samit Patel were all told by Nottinghamshire they could not take part if they were bought by a franchise. Monty Panesar does have permission to enter the player auction from Sussex.