IPL 2013 news February 14, 2013

Parvez Rasool set to join Pune Warriors

ESPNcricinfo staff

Parvez Rasool, the Jammu and Kashmir allrounder, is set to join Pune Warriors for IPL 2013. Rasool was in the spotlight earlier this week, when he bagged seven wickets against the touring Australians. He will be the first player from Jammu and Kashmir to play in the league.

The formalities are yet to be completed but the franchise is in the process of signing Rasool, a Warriors official confirmed.

Rasool said Warriors were not the only IPL team to contact him, but they had been in touch with him even before that tour match. "A few franchises approached me but it was Pune who approached me first. So it was an ethical decision to join them as they had shown interest much before the Australia match happened," Rasool told PTI. "I am very excited and it is an honour to play in the IPL and become the first cricketer from the valley to achieve this feat."

Twenty-four-year-old Rasool had an impressive 2012-13 Ranji season too, leading both the bowling and batting charts for Jammu and Kashmir; his 594 runs from seven games came at an average of 54, while his 33 wickets came at 18.09 apiece.

He is looking forward to drawing on the knowledge of the international players at the IPL, he said, to further lift his game. "It is a dream come true for me that I will be interacting with Michael Clarke. Also having Yuvi paaji [Yuvraj Singh] will be a bonus. I have just started my journey in top-flight cricket, and this stint with Pune will only help me grow. I hope that I will be able soak in all the information that I can get from our coach Allan Donald too."

• ankursilverstone on February 17, 2013, 17:11 GMT

@maroof...thanx a lot for the explanation...jst one more question...alphonso thomas is currently playing in BPL...den hw come he is not available to play for PWI

• dummy4fb on February 17, 2013, 16:20 GMT

dear all. .v hav traded nehra for ross. so we had one extra foreign player. but alfonso thomas has been bought out as he wont b available to play for this season for us. so the foreign position got vacant which is filled by ross. nehra also left a vacant indian position whch has been filled by rasool.

• sweet2hrme on February 16, 2013, 6:22 GMT

Ipl owners! Plz sign Eilton Chigumbura! I think he is good enough to play IPL. It will be grt8 if one of franchising come forward n purchase Eilton Chigumbura like players that from Zimbabave! Is somebody watching his performance??

• class9ryan on February 16, 2013, 2:16 GMT

What is out from the sources is that - Mitch Marsh ( who has been injured ) and Murali Karthik have been expelled out 2 accommodate Roscoe and Rasool

• ankursilverstone on February 15, 2013, 17:56 GMT

@manish...have to check for dat...also...there is a rule there shouldn't be more than 11 foreign players in a squad but they recently traded nehra for ross taylor which takes their overseas players tally to 12...

• sunrisers_dktej on February 15, 2013, 17:09 GMT

Best of luck Rasool. . .Waiting to see his performance. . .But before need to get chance in playing eleven. Pune are signing a lot of guys who are only supposed to be sitting in dugout like mumbai indians. Pune trade few players to other teams sothat not only franchises get benefited but players also will be benefited instead sitting in dugout for almost 60 days like talented tamim in last ipl season.

• dummy4fb on February 15, 2013, 12:12 GMT

wish this flight lands him in the indian cricket squad.

• cover_drive_sach on February 15, 2013, 11:39 GMT

I am impressed by this young man. He is a traditional offspinner with neat action, who can also score a handful. Bishen Singh Bedi has spoken highly about him. I wish he is not spoiled by the riches of IPL.

• dummy4fb on February 15, 2013, 10:54 GMT

it is good for valley cricket i hope he will perform good in IPL and at international level

• dummy4fb on February 15, 2013, 10:48 GMT

@ankur: I don't think there's a limitation in signing domestic players moreover Rasool don't have an India cap. if m correct, Kolkata had 40+ players on their roaster.

• No featured comments at the moment.