Tendulkar's retirement from Tests

'It's not just the talent he was born with but what he did with it'

Reactions to Sachin Tendulkar's retirement from Test cricket

ESPNcricinfo staff

October 10, 2013

Rahul Dravid: 'He would have listened to his heart'

"It is hard to imagine any player in the history of the game who combines classical technique with raw aggression like the little champion does. There is not a single shot he cannot play."
Sunil Gavaskar, former India captain

"Sachin was easily the best player over the last 20 years & will be remembered as one of the all time greats!"
Shane Warne, former Australia legspinner via Twitter

"At the age of 14, all he knew was batting and he would bat all day; the coach would actually have to pull him out of the nets. I think that's the reason he has been successful. It's not just the talent he was born with but what he did with it."
Sourav Ganguly , former India captain, told NDTV

"In 1989, I was lucky to be his first captain and it was amazing that this 16-year-old boy making his debut was playing so calmly. The way he played fast bowling in the first tour to Australia was also another amazing thing. Sachin is still the same person I saw in 1989. That's his greatness not just as a cricketer but as a human being."
Kris Srikkanth, Tendulkar's first India captain, NDTV

"I think Tendulkar has been the ideal role model in Indian cricket and that is why we are now seeing a new generation of quality batsmen from India."
Javed Miandad, former Pakistan captain

"When I made my debut, I got out early in the first innings for 4. On the same evening, he [Tendulkar] came to me and said, 'don't worry, the ball kept a little low. Even if I was batting, I might have got out to that ball.' He told me your time will come, you are scoring well at the domestic level, you need not worry. I was a little worried and surprised - he was batting 150-plus and Vijay was 100-plus. I thought my batting would not come again in the Test match. I had only one opportunity to score and I got out. But when he came and told me, and ultimately I got a chance to bat in the second innings, I went on to score 72. When a player like him comes and tells you - I was making my debut and I was a youngster. I am very much thankful to him for providing all the guidance throughout my career."
Cheteshwar Pujara, India batsman

"We should remember his playing career as something that always gave us joy and made us proud."
Mohammad Azharuddin, former India captain

"Privileged to have seen a child prodigy go on to become a true legend of the game from very close quarters. All the best Sachin."
Sanjay Manjrekar, former India and Mumbai team-mate, via Twitter

"I think it's a bad day for Indian cricket, world cricket as well."
Muttiah Muralitharan, former Sri Lanka offspinner

"It's always difficult to comprehend how someone like Sachin lives his life. He has always managed his career well , managed to perform under an extreme amount of pressure and never had any scandals, which is a credit on him and his family."
Graeme Smith, South Africa Test captain

"Great player & a brilliant human being. Thanks for the memories, Paaji. Privileged to have shared the dressing room with you."
Aakash Chopra, former India opener

"Salutes to Sachin paaji. I think India jersey number 10 should retire as well and preserved forever. Thanks Paaji"
Gautam Gambhir, India batsman, via Twitter

"The sight of the straight lines of the bat on its downswing; the power of the back foot punch; thanks for the memories Sachin. Glad you came."
Ian Bishop, former West Indies fast bowler, via Twitter

"Sachin Tendukar to retire after his 200th test match v windies in Mumbai;Best batsman I bowled to at his peak no weakness #LittleMaster."
Damien Fleming, former Australia fast bowler, via Twitter

"A great player but struggled against part time Off spin @sachin_rt !!!!!! #BornToPlayCricket."
Michael Vaughan, former England captain, via Twitter

"I have been an ardent follower and admirer of Sachin Tendulkar from the days he came to play Buchi Babu in Chennai. No one has served Indian cricket as Sachin has. We respect his decision to retire although many of us can't imagine an Indian team without Sachin."
N Srinivasan, BCCI president

"He had so much time to play the ball, to pick the line and length. I saw Bradman play in 1948 and he is the nearest player I have seen to Bradman and would always be in my side as the No.4. I cannot pay a higher compliment than that."
Dickie Bird, former Test umpire, told CNN-IBN

"Sachin #10dulkar - Undisputed Champion of Cricket! #SachinTheGreat."
Kevin Pietersen, via Twitter

"My mind goes back to New Year's Eve December 31 1987 when I first heard Sunil Gavaskar tell me there's a 14 year old in Mumbai who's going to be the future of Indian batting. I kept watching out for that boy, I followed his Ranji debut. The greatest Indian to ever wield the cricket bat."
Shashi Tharoor, author and minister in the Indian government, told NDTV

Posted by   on (October 15, 2013, 18:43 GMT)

Prodigy! True ambassador of the sport. A humble personality. I don't see anyone coming even close to his records in our lifetime.

Posted by Al_Bundy1 on (October 14, 2013, 0:23 GMT)

SRT was a great batsman in his prime, perhaps one of the greatest after Bradman. But for the past 2-3 years he had been batting like a tailender. He really should have retired after World Cup 2011. Lately he had become a burden on Indian team. Happy to see him gone.

Posted by   on (October 12, 2013, 16:42 GMT)

He is pure cricketing talent. People would come to just watch him play. Many would die to see his trademark cover-drive. He was born talent. But he mastered his talent to such a high level that is unimaginable. He played for such a long time, & still he had always something fresh shot coming out of his bat. Opponents used to make a trap/plan to get him out by past experiences/records. But he always came with something new & kept his own game on higher level. For a debutant bowler, is a dream to get a wicket in first ball, or in first over & nothing less to get a wicket of Master Blaster. One unusual thing about him I remember is that, he got so many times against debutant bowlers becoming his first victim.

Posted by MiddleStump on (October 12, 2013, 6:22 GMT)

The greatness of Sachin Tendulkar is both his longevity as well as his comebacks from injuries. Imran, wasim, and waqar did not trouble him when he was 16. Neither did Steyn and Morkel when he was almost 38. He scored 1500 runs during his 37th year. Other class players like Ponting and Dravid who started their careers at a later age had clearly lost it by the time they were 37. To be good enough for selection on an international side over a 25 year period is itself an achievement. Then there is the almost forgotten tale of Tendulkar's injuries. He had not one or two but four surgeries. Yet he came back each time more determined, adjusted his batting and made sacrifices mainly by giving up his bowling. Only those who have experienced injuries in major sports can understand how difficult it is to rise again to the top. Had he been more healthy the world may have seen possibly a great all rounder as well. My best wishes on his retirement.

Posted by Shan156 on (October 12, 2013, 5:40 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster, agreed. It is actually a huge credit for Anderson that he managed to dismiss the greatest modern day batsman so many times. Definitely, the India tour next year is a challenge for us. We will likely be missing a few key players by that time. India also have a few new exciting players who have ably replaced some of the veterans but Tendulkar's would be a huge hole to fill. However, India need not worry. They have a huge talent pool to choose from.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (October 12, 2013, 0:29 GMT)

@Shan156: To be frank, Sachin has been dismissed 9 times by Anderson. Goes to show how much of an improved bowler Jimmy has become compared to when he started playing for England. To get the Little Master 9 times is not an ordinary feat. Even Warne and Murali couldn't trouble him. Heck, Glenn McGrath couldn't bother Tendulkar one bit. Anderson can be proud of himself. India's 2011 tour to England was a nightmare. But the team is doing everything right now to right the wrongs of 2011. It will be a different team India next time around in every aspect.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 23:59 GMT)

Gambhir made good call, Number 10 jersey should retire from cricket at least from Indian cricket just as a tribute

Posted by EverybodylovesSachin on (October 11, 2013, 21:14 GMT)

All the best Sachin. We will miss you very much. Our lives will not be changed without you.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 20:17 GMT)

"On a train from Shimla to Delhi, there was a halt in one of the stations. The train stopped by for few minutes as usual. Sachin was nearing century, batting on 98. The passengers, railway officials, everyone on the train waited for Sachin to complete the century. This Genius can stop time in India!!" - Peter Roebuck on Sachin Tendulkar

Posted by Shan156 on (October 11, 2013, 18:16 GMT)

Love Vaughany's tweet. He will forever cherish the memory of dismissing Sachin at Trent Bridge in 2002.

We play India next summer. Sachin will be missed. Jimmy will miss him the most:-)

jk, Sachin is the greatest modern day batsman. No other batsman has such a superb record against every country home and away. And, considering the fact that he has such an outstanding ODI record also, and the fact that he is so pleasing to the eye, every cricket fan would readily admit that he was born to bat. Wish he enjoys a great retirement. For us England fans, Dravid was more of a pain but Sachin is definitely the best.

Posted by BigINDFan on (October 11, 2013, 18:02 GMT)

I agree with Sir Don - even God stops looking over the world and instead watches the cricketing god bat!

Posted by bmoizuddin on (October 11, 2013, 17:43 GMT)

All comments about SRT is absolutely great - its really difficult pick the best comments. The comments I liked personally is of : (1) Dickie Bird (2) Graeme Smith and (3) Gautam Ghambir. Yes I do agree with Ghambir that # 10 jersey should retire too forever - it will be a real good gift/gesture to the little BIG man.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 15:43 GMT)

I am too small a person to talk about the Batting Legend. So, I have appended the best quotes on the maestro . Do I need to say anything more? I want my son to become Sachin Tendulkar - Brian lara We did not lose to a team called India, we lost to a man called Sachin - Mark taylor Nothing bad can happen to us if we were on a plane in India with Sachin on it. - Hashim amla He can play that leg glance with a walking stick also, - Waqar younis There are 2 kind of batsmen in the world, 1 Sachin tendulkar 2 all the others. -Andy flower I have seen god. He bats at no.4 for India in tests. - Matthew hayden I see myself when i see Sachin batting. Don bradman Do your crime when Sachin is batting, bcos even god is busy watching his batting. - Australian fan Best one fromBarack Obama- I don't know about cricket but still i watch cricket to see Sachin play. . Not bcoz i love his play its bcoz I want to know the reason why my country production goes down by 5 percent when he's batting .

Posted by PakPacer on (October 11, 2013, 15:07 GMT)

Greatest batsman to play the game, we loved to hate on Tendulkar on game days, this coming from a Pakistani fan, but always respected his game.Nothing but respect, he is the best.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 14:43 GMT)

i m a a pakistani fan..but really i cant imagine cricket without sachin...all the love from pakistan

Posted by munoj on (October 11, 2013, 13:27 GMT)

No one goes on forever , however , the memories Sachin 10dulka has given us certainly will . Long live the little master . You were in a class all by yourself , you will be missed . Thankful i had the opportunity in my lifetime to witness the magnificence of such a class act , not just as a sportsman , but also as an ambassador for the country of his birth and by extension the world .

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 13:22 GMT)

I true legend and great personality, cricket lover will miss u. love from afghanistan

Posted by ZaffarHassan on (October 11, 2013, 12:29 GMT)

At last we heard the news which we are expecting for quite some time but no body wants SACHIN to call it a day. But it Happens. LOVE YOU SACHIN what you have done for the world of cricket. i will definatly miss u alot bcuz its difficult for me to sit before the screen & watch Indian Team with out YOU. You will be definatly missed because i think the indian team with out SACHIN is incomplete. You will always be in our prayers and best of luck to you and your family and your fans all over the world for the rest of your life. MISS YOU SACHIN BUT WE LOVE YOU. . . . . . . GOD BLESS YOU . . . . . . GOOD BYE

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 12:28 GMT)

Great Player Great Person! Miss you sachin

Posted by Mervo on (October 11, 2013, 11:39 GMT)

A great player. Not as great as Jacques Kallis perhaps, but great none the less

Posted by CRIC_FAN94 on (October 11, 2013, 10:55 GMT)

"We did not lose to a team called India...we lost to a man called Sachin" -Mark Taylor on Sachin

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:44 GMT)

the world cricket without Tendulkar will be just like a child without his father

Posted by Paracha420 on (October 11, 2013, 10:44 GMT)

One leaf missing from Sachin's record book is a triple century....

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:21 GMT)

What a legend....All the love and respect from Pakistan

Posted by sumitsingh02 on (October 11, 2013, 10:16 GMT)

I was in between one of my exams. Already disappointed that we had to come to college while Sachin was batting so well, And then someone shouted from behind. Sachin 194 notout. I looked at my right to my friend sitting beside me and he looked at me with a smile. To hell with 15-20 marks. We got up at the same moment, submitted our sheets and rushed on my bike to my home.

Thanks to Dhoni that he kept Sachin out of strike for some time which was enough for us to reach our home and be witness of that Proud moment.

Thanks Sachin for Thousand such moments.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:16 GMT)

i remember that test match against pakistan ...... shoaib akhtar was supposed to bowl early morning to sachin ..... i had my accounts paper for my final exam ( t,y bcom). i din't give the exam just to see the GREAT man facing the fastest bowler.... SALUTE TO THE GREATEST SON OF INDIA

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 10:14 GMT)

greatest player in our time

Posted by Paracha420 on (October 11, 2013, 10:08 GMT)

No doubt one of the greatest player of this generation......More then that he had not single scandal in his long and illustrious career!!!!That is the greatest achievement for such a big player!!!

Posted by SankaraRamanM on (October 11, 2013, 10:07 GMT)

Sep 2002, Gangotri - on the banks of the Bhagirathi river, there is this guy (looked like a rustic villager) dozing off. Then I hear the crackle of cricket commentary in Hindi on his portable radio. I ask - what's the score? He says, I don't know, but Sachin has scored a century! Sums it up for me - the greatest national integrator this country has seen - Sachin Tendulkar!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 9:44 GMT)

Sachin the irreplaceable. the favorite son to mother cricket. I have wept for days when he missed ton by 1 run 2 runs or 3 runs. I broke more then 100 remote on seeing sachin returning to the pavilion. bunked schools to watch him play. The partnerships of sachin and ganguly is my all time favorite. my whole childhood was awesome coz I watched him play. I am lucky to watch sachin play live. even if cricket is dead till last Indian's breathes sahin will be remembered Love U sachu U made us Proud

Posted by Anwar-Lara on (October 11, 2013, 9:30 GMT)

I think India jersey number 10 should retire as well and preserved forever.. Well said Gautam Gambhir , All the best to the little master from PAKISTAN..

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 7:54 GMT)

What a great player. .... Will be remembered for ever. He was very poor! !!!!!!!!!!!!! No controversies......

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 7:38 GMT)

For the information of those who believe and stated Sachin should have retired 5 years bac...

Sachin Tendulkar - last Five years

Test Matches 2008-2013 MAT 47 RUNS 3898 HS 214 AVG 53.39 100s 12

ODI Matches 2008-2012 MAT 35 RUNS 1648 HS 200* AVG 51.50 100s 6

All cricket lovers in this globe would have missed the first double hundred in ODI...His career avg in ODI is 44.83..but performed much better than(51.50) that is last 5 years...He is on par with his test career avg (53.86) in last 5 years (53.39)....#Sachin the Great...

Posted by Qa_ankit on (October 11, 2013, 6:48 GMT)

I just wanted Sachin to be on feild forever. Can he be Umpire or may be Commentrator. Anyone. But wanted to see him there. On green grass. Any how.

Posted by spnraj on (October 11, 2013, 5:39 GMT)

I always remember Sachin's One day performance is at Sharja, Match against Australia (I think 1998) Sachin and azharudin was in crease.... Terrible wind blowing, Match stopped few minutes.. started again... he played extraordinary knock, Must win situation.. Sachin's fearless century bring India into the final match...

The next day news paper one image attracted me very much....All the players were lying on the ground , some were sitting, some were shut in their face, because of the terrible wind, But sachin was standing like a king....

and the memorable Test match is.. 1999 India Vs Pak at chepauk chennai, i was watching in stadium... 85/5, sachin got heavy back pain, still he was playing with tremandrous pain, india came very close to target, but unfortunately he got out, at that time India needs 15~ more runs to win, India loss that match

The Point is "Dedication was amazing from Sachin in that match"

Salute Sir.....

I am proud, because i am alive when you play cricket

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (October 11, 2013, 5:32 GMT)

Chika, I don't think you are paying him a great tribute by saying that he is the same person at 40 as he was at 16. If he is, then I'm sorry for him that he didn't learn much in 24 years. But I think, he is not the same batsman he once was. Overstayed his welcome. Should have retired gracefully some 4-5 years ago. Anyways, better late than never.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 5:31 GMT)

The greatest tribute the teams have given Sachin is that: when Sachin takes stance, all sledging vanishes. If anyone can command that respect, that sportsperson can e said to be successful.

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 4:38 GMT)

One of the finest player . Also a good sportsman. He set him as a role model by his attitude for both on field and off field for the upcoming cricket player.

Posted by MelbourneMiracle on (October 11, 2013, 3:37 GMT)

His batting is overshadowed by his humbleness. I always loved watching him batting against any team other than Sri Lanka. I don't think that he can breath without batting so he will continue to play domestic and fun raising cricket. Has any batsman in the history used a bat more than Sachin? Has any batsman in the history faced more balls than Sachin? I'm sure of just one thing though. No player/human loved the game as much as Sachin. Otherwise he won't practice in the nets for 2 hours or play 5 day games at the age of 40. He's inspired a young generation. He inspired cricketers. He inspired other sportsmen. He inspired a nation. He inspired the world. Give all the due credit to Mr.Sachin Tendulkar. Now it is time for us to pay back whatever he deserves. Btw No tribute is enough for the Little Master. Sachin I wish if you had played for Sri Lanka. Good bye and a salute to the living Legend!

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 3:35 GMT)

I just want a triple hundred from him! Two triples will be even better!! Still expecting so much from him! Not sure how will it feel like watching test match without him! His batting against Abdul Quadir in 1989 is still fresh in my memory, when we rushed back home to watch it after hearing that reduced over match is on!!

Posted by 123cric on (October 11, 2013, 3:27 GMT)

Hi,

Probably the batsman who taught we Indian the aggressive brand of cricket. We Indian prior to him has batsman in classical mold who will grind for runs. Tendulkar was a unique combination of classic shot making and an aggressive mind set. A role model to current set of cricketers and gem for world cricket.

Posted by EverybodylovesSachin on (October 11, 2013, 2:13 GMT)

Sachin says life without cricket is unimaginable and we say cricket without Sachin is also unimaginable

Posted by   on (October 11, 2013, 2:02 GMT)

Many a time man looks for the glory, but here is the exception when glory looks for him. Tendulkar a great cricketer and a great human being!

Posted by blaster.pk on (October 11, 2013, 0:51 GMT)

We all saw what sachin did with his talent when he went to england this year and showed he cannot score a single century there.... then the fans said he can do it in austraila ... again he showed his talent in australia not a single century ...

Then BCCI decided lets get some teams who never have a chance winning anywhere in world.... Westindies came to india .... sachin showed his class again by not scoring a single century ... infact we almost lost the last match against WI,,, instead Darren Bravo scored many centuries.... Then Fans said again ,, sachin will show his master class against England in India .... He showed his most pathetic show against Panesar and swann ... We all enjoyed the show... infact .. shane warne was called just for one match to praise sachin in Mumbai ...... He too saw the show that sachin gave against spin,,, he just could not bat....

Posted by satishsasikumar on (October 10, 2013, 23:23 GMT)

I grew up watching Sachin play his 1st Test at Gujranwala in 1989 till the last match he played to date…I watched over the days the growing admiration along with the expectations of millions watching him play. Many would agree that there was time when people believed Sachin could do many things in cricket. The public expected him to score a ton in every innings he wielded the bat, take 5-6 wickets in case he bowled, execute 5 run-outs or take 5 catches..that was the level and despite the burden of expectations he managed to stand tall with his focus, discipline and determination to succeed. I would tell all his critics to put themselves in his shoes and imagine carrying the burden which he relentlessly bore over the past 24years. I would sum it up by saying that people like Sachin are rarely born and it is India's fortune that he grew up here. It is time to cherish the achievements of a compatriot who taught us to set goals and make them look achievable. I salute you little master.

Posted by satishsasikumar on (October 10, 2013, 23:13 GMT)

Sachin played his 1st Test on 15th Nov 1989 & would play his last one on 14-18th Nov 2013. Precisely 24yrs. Wow what a coincidence! Kudos to the little master for all his achievements. He taught us what humility, discipline and commitment to one's life and profession is all about. Thank you. Best wishes for a great life ahead.

Posted by Sathyasing on (October 10, 2013, 22:57 GMT)

Its not about the skills and statistics but the pain,sacrifice,dedication,management,perseverance,always grounded,being human and so on and so forth.I think we can write an epic on this character not onthe icon.Lots od credit goes to the family and the way he was groomed and taken care shouldnt be forgotten.

Posted by kamalakannan1k on (October 10, 2013, 21:23 GMT)

Emotions make tears for the only cricketer in the world. He is more than a god for Indian Cricket. I already got into lot of arguments when someone speaks about his retirement. While expressing my view I cannot come out with words.... Thanks a lot for everything you did for Indian people through cricket..

Posted by agamgoyal on (October 10, 2013, 20:48 GMT)

SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR A matter of faith and scattered hope Perhaps, we knew but still we roped Thinking that he would be able to cope As he has risen us out of no scope Being worshipped more than the pope A day will come when he will say nope A day will come when we will all mope The day has come when he sad nope… But I still want to continue to hope We all want to forever continue to hope……

Posted by S.Jagernath on (October 10, 2013, 20:47 GMT)

The best batsman the world has seen & probably will ever see.All I can hope for is a few more high class innings from The Master.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 20:28 GMT)

Sachin is a rare gem, the most precious of all. It was his spirit, his authentic soul, that shone the brightest. 200 Tests? His timing is forever perfect.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 19:54 GMT)

He'll always be revered by cricket supports around the world; not just for the majesty of his batting, but the humility he showed. Enjoy your retirement Sachin!

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 19:43 GMT)

Life without Sachin...hard , very hard, too hard...thank you for the great memories.. You were the choosen ONE by the Almighty. Wish you the very best in your future. Miss you forever !!!!

Posted by VVSR92 on (October 10, 2013, 19:22 GMT)

Fairytale ending may be personally for sachin playing in mumbai , 200 tests.What's the point of playing last year home tests if he was not playing overseas?Ind could have given a new guy a run in home seris.Anyway finally hes gone.Congrats on a great career one & only sachin

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 19:20 GMT)

U made ur debut on my 2nd birthday 15/11/1989 and the day I turn 26 u will be in ur last match. Will miss those moments ; ur walking in, taking guard, getting ready to face, the trademark bending of knees and adjusting the guard , dead defence, straight bat, straight drives, cover drives, square drives, pulls , upper cuts, paddle sweeps , lofted shots n slog sweeps........ the raised bat, tricolor helmet , looking up to the heavens, man of the match/series, sharjah, world cup, south africa, 200 , 100*100, 50000 ...... leg breaks, off breaks, googlies, seam up ..... ; even the dismissals, injuries and losses. Thanks for making me love cricket , being my real superhero in flesh and blood ,for the joy, excitement, edge of the seat moments, celebrations, even disappointments and most of all for allowing us to be a child for all these years. Feels like the childhood is finally over . Time to grow up.... #thanks #love #respect #sad #cricket #sachin.....

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 19:02 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar - A legend who made batting an art. The best ever game i have seen was his counter attacking of Australian greats Mcgrath & Warne in sharajah. India will miss him in the field and the Indian team will miss him in the dressing room.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 18:04 GMT)

The complete cricketer of all time. we cant imagine indian team without him. he is the god. i grow up watching him play. its very sad that he had retired. we want to see a triple in his final match. thanks god for making me watch ur batting all these years

Posted by arpitk on (October 10, 2013, 18:02 GMT)

Cricket's history will be divided in two eras ...BT & AT...LEGEND!!

Posted by dpeerwani on (October 10, 2013, 17:59 GMT)

"It's not just the talent he was born with but what he did with it."

No quote could ever describe Sachin better. There have been countless flashes of brilliance by many but to carry this brilliance over 24 years, totally clear of controversies and scandals specially in a cricket crazed country like India? That alone makes Sachin far greater than any batsman who ever lived.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (October 10, 2013, 17:51 GMT)

No amount of words are enough for this living legend. He's a great in every respect. I will miss him IMMENSELY. I fell in love with him during the 1996 world cup and have never looked away since. I became his slave after the Sharjah mauling in 1998. I started to worship following the 200* against SA. Yes, I am extremely sad Sachin is retiring. Thank you for your services to Indian and world cricket dear Little Master.

Posted by JD04 on (October 10, 2013, 16:59 GMT)

He inspired an entire generation to be good human beings, gave them unparalleled joy and most of all could unite the whole nation from Kanyakumari to Kashmir! Only one word for one of India's greatest sports hero: RESPECT!

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 16:15 GMT)

Nobody better than him walked onto a cricket pitch. Easily the greatest talent the game of cricket has seen, he remained humble honest courteous and polite to a fault. I do not know about bradman. Atleast from the 70s, he remains irrefutably the greatest batsman to hold the willow. Lara viv come closer and so ricky sunny kallis dravid mahela sanga and greg chapell. if you walk upto ant of these legends and say that you are 50% as talented as Sachin is, they would swell with pride

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 15:32 GMT)

sachin tendulkur is without a shadow of any doubt the best batsman of modern era who coild perform well in all the three formats of the game. we in pakistan love him not for his game but for the fact that he has had ZERO controversy over such a long period in his career. he debud against pakistan and faced the likes of wasim and waqar at their peak with great bravery. Indian cricket ows a lot to sachin who truly is not only an indian icon but a branf embassador for cricket itself. i wish him the very best in his future endeavours and would love to see him in the commentary box or on the coaching bench in the coming days

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 15:29 GMT)

This is the right time to say good bye to the pitch for ,"The Legand " but we also want him to achieve the last goal of score a triple ton in the test,without having any presure of it.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

1) Pedestrians gathers to TV showroom when he is on strike. 2) Train delays it departure until he cross 99. 3) No matter aged 6 to 90, stick glued to TV holding breath and No.1/No.2 Putting more simply: A NATION will never standstill for any other person.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 14:14 GMT)

India can't play well today after this sad news

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 14:07 GMT)

He should have retired after 2007 when other legends such as Warne, Lara etc retired or at least after 2011 World cup win. He dragged on his career in later half and played for record books and to keep his fans happy. I wish he scores triple hundred once in his last 2 test matches, that is something missing in his cricket resume.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:56 GMT)

no words can ever describe the amount of joy i experienced as a teenager while watching him bat. i used to literally scream n shout loud n jump with joy when ever he hit a shot.

Posted by sundarc on (October 10, 2013, 13:46 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar- A household name in every corner of India, A sad day to know 10dulkar is calling it a day!!! A true Champion came in with a lot of promise as a teenage prodigy and literally conquered everything one could ask for in the cricket field. A perfect gentleman on and off the field !!! It is very hard to imagine any one even coming closer to 100 international tons!!! Well done Sachin, Cricket the game will be poorer without the Legend Sachin10dulkar. A perfect role model for any aspiring sportsman for the entire world. Well done Sachin.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:45 GMT)

Oh the great will be missed by plenty....but he has left so many memories we can live with those memories , rest of our lives....Bye ...but come back soon as Coach...no need of others.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:16 GMT)

On the field his class technique is mixed with mass intentions and off the field his humble behaviour brings N number of mass followers..... heros, stars, superstars, legends, geniuses and Sachin tendulkar....

Posted by PoochiFox on (October 10, 2013, 13:15 GMT)

I love Vaiughan's tweet: "struggled against part time spin" :-)

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:14 GMT)

I have not seen Bradman or Sobers or Hammond play...I have not seen God play....but think if God did indeed play with Sachin on other side, He would be so proud of creating this gem of His. Cricket will live and so will you Sachin. Thank you for all you did for the country.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:07 GMT)

You cannot compliment this man in words,Sachin is legend who maintains his perfomane without any scandals in his whole career..lot of young indian batsmans followed sachin and they become very good batsman too by following master batsman..i am from pak but i wil missl this legend of the game..miss you buddy.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:02 GMT)

We have always been selfish in our expectations of Sachin, expecting him to perform brilliantly even if everyone around him fails. And for the last time in his career, we still expect him to score a ton before he leaves cricket.

He has carried the burden of our unrealistic expectations all his life and so will he, one final time. Salute the Master !!!

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 13:01 GMT)

His form in 2010-2011 was responsible for taking India to the brink of a historic series win in SA, and winning the WC. It's a pity that THE drool-worthy footage from Cape Town is not available for streaming.

To the detractors, his innings in the WC semi-final was no fluke, but merely karma paying it's dues to the little man and the fans. Here was someone who only wanted to score a bucketful of runs for his country (and thus more than contributing to what was needed to win, only to be let down by the team), and boy he did.

Thanks for all the special memories, and being awesome enough to let me take a picture with you at the Royal Abjar hotel after the desert storm epic in Sharjah!

Posted by Amit_13 on (October 10, 2013, 12:52 GMT)

His career is the chronology of my life... It will be difficult to not have the rudder for this boat that I am in!!!

Posted by Ashutoshgore on (October 10, 2013, 12:47 GMT)

you knew it was coming, it was inevitable, then why sachin do you still produce this numbness? Harsha bhogle

Truely summarises my thoughts

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 12:40 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar- Probably the reason why people start thinking of Cricket as a profession in India. The man of his demeanor and his respect towards the game made him an undisputed Champion and a true LEGEND.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 12:39 GMT)

A tear rolled down my cheeks and to say the least I am not that emotional after all.. How much I love him, words can't describe.. Thanks for all the memories.. He transcends boundaries..

Posted by bhriguaneja on (October 10, 2013, 12:37 GMT)

I cant imagine cricket without Sachin and you cant give a man a bigger compliment than than. He is truly bigger than the game he plays. It is impossible for another sportsman to achieve so much.

Posted by UAETigers on (October 10, 2013, 12:16 GMT)

I am from Pakistan and a big fan of Sachin. A True gentlemen and living legend!! Salute and tribute to the Great Man from India!!!

Posted by   on (October 10, 2013, 12:12 GMT)

How much I have loved SRT all throughout my life has been summed up by the tear that has just slowly rolled down my cheek..!!

FeedbackTop
ESPNcricinfo staffClose

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

Numbers Game: The Indian T20 tournament presents an opportunity to both to show their class once again

The rise of the Associates

Firdose Moonda: Cricket below the international top tier is well structured. It's a pity the Test-playing world doesn't take a leaf out of their book

The choking problem

Martin Crowe: If they are to live up to their potential in next year's World Cup at home, New Zealand need to look within

Impressing Viv and Greg

Five Firsts: Former Pakistan batsman Haroon Rasheed on the compliments he received, and his admiration for Gavaskar

Who'll bring Pakistan back to financial health?

Kamran Abbasi: It's unlikely the money the PCB gets from the ICC revamp will be used to grow Pakistan cricket

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

The Plays of the day from the match between Kolkata and Mumbai, in Abu Dhabi

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation

Fifty for the pantheon

What if you had to narrow all of cricket greatness down to 50 names?