Pakistan news July 4, 2013

Iqbal Qasim calls time on selector role

Iqbal Qasim, chairman of the selection panel, has decided not to renew his contract with the PCB, citing domestic issues and his primary job as the head of the sports department at the National Bank of Pakistan. Qasim's contract was due to expire at the end of the month. The PCB has accepted Qasim's decision and, with the committee formally dissolved, said it will "consider the formation of the new selection committee" later this month.

"I have told the top officials of the PCB that I have completed my tenure so they should appoint a new selection panel for the future," Qasim told ESPNcricinfo. "I want to move on to my primary job with the bank. The reports about my differences with the captain and coach were incorrect and fabricated, and they have nothing to do with my ouster as it was planned months ago."

Qasim was appointed chief selector on a one-year contract in March 2012, after interim chief Mohammad Ilyas stepped down. He asked PCB to allow him to end his tenure in April, but the then president Zaka Ashraf asked Qasim to continue until the selection of the team for the West Indies tour. "After announcing the team, I asked once again to be relieved," Qasim said.

Qasim has had several stints on the selection panel. He was first appointed chairman of selectors in August 2009 but resigned in January 2010, following Pakistan's poor performance on their tour of Australia. The team was whitewashed in both the Test and ODI series and Shahid Afridi was banned for two T20 games for ball-tampering. Qasim was also a member of the selection committee until the 2007 World Cup; he had been appointed in an honorary post, while continuing as a senior employee with NBP.

In a statement issued on Qasim's behalf by the PCB, he stated: "It has been a great experience working with all of them and together we sincerely have tried to serve Pakistan and Pakistan cricket to the best of our abilities. I am also thankful to all the media for supporting the game of cricket, in general, and me, in particular, throughout my tenure."

Umar Farooq is ESPNcricinfo's Pakistan correspondent. He tweets here

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • Ahsan-cric-freak on July 5, 2013, 11:08 GMT

    Guys have u noticed a funnier side of this article? Just have a look at Mr Qasim's state in the pic! It looks like he will have gone on to cry a moments after the press release finished:p lol....!

  • dummy4fb on July 5, 2013, 0:04 GMT

    Thanks God, he is gone. He was the worst selector in the history of Pakistan cricket. I hope the worst time of Pakistan cricket is over.

  • android_user on July 4, 2013, 20:47 GMT

    Finally seems like Pakistan cricket is heading towards a good time. Right tone for him to step down. Now PCB hopefully should appoint a selection panel who have the ability to find talented cricketers. In my opinion they should have Waseem Akram, inzamam and Mohsin Khan running the panel with Miandad heading it.

  • dummy4fb on July 4, 2013, 20:41 GMT

    So happy to see Mr. Iqbal Qasim is no longer in this role. I would say he deserves major credit for Pakistan's dismal performances in 2012 and 2013.

    Please hire a more professional person as Chief selector now. Iqbal Qasim should never be considered as Chief Selector in the future

  • dummy4fb on July 4, 2013, 16:11 GMT

    Good to see this man stepping down, he and his team did a poor job at selection committee. Mohsin khan is a brave person and take tough decisions, he can be a potential candidate for this post.

  • Sports4Youth on July 4, 2013, 12:51 GMT

    I dont understand the statement "It has been great experience ...."

    According to me the Champions Trophy and the SL Tour were horrible experiences. Most forgettable ones that will keep haunting everyone for the rest of their lives. What was great about this phase of Pak cricket that has seen its lowest ebb ?


  • Sports4Youth on July 4, 2013, 12:47 GMT

    Thank God. Finally something good has happened in the PCB. And the beuty is that Qasim has decided to step out on his own. After the kind of selection that he was making, I thought he will have to be kicked out.

    In any event, after the dismall show at the Champions Trophy, this selection comitee deserved to be sacked. Now that it will be desolved in this fashion is even better. Looks like Qasim has accepted the responsibiltiy of the Teams failure in the CT.


  • pomkul on July 4, 2013, 12:22 GMT

    Thanks GOD. Fanally the man step down. I think the next selection pannels r wasim akram, waqar younus, s. Mushtaq, zaheer abbas and inzamamul haque. This is the best selection pannel.

  • Chaudry_Cricket on July 4, 2013, 11:54 GMT

    Finally .... Been praying he would step down. We should never have appointed him again after the 2010 australia tour. Our new selector should be Abdul Qadir who is honest and sincere

  • No featured comments at the moment.