Unnecessary delay of the day

There was always the danger of rain affecting this match, and perhaps the umpires had convinced themselves that a downpour was all but assured. When they took the players from the field at the end of the 25th over of Scotland's innings, it was raining, but not heavily, and it seemed more a precautionary measure. The Australians were miffed, dawdling off the field in what was only light drizzle. Then came the ridiculous scenes of the fourth umpire Michael Gough on the ground with an unnecessary umbrella, the pitch covered, the sky mostly clear, but just a few drops of rain keeping play from resuming. Fortunately, common sense eventually prevailed and play resumed with no overs lost. It took Australia only four balls on resumption to claim the last two Scotland wickets. A much heavier downpour later interrupted Australia's innings.

Jeer of the day

The potential rain was clearly in Michael Clarke's mind at the toss. When Preston Mommsen called incorrectly, Clarke sent Scotland in to bat, declaring that the weather was his main reason. A wash-out would have meant Australia finishing third in Pool A and the flow-on effect would be a quarter-final against South Africa and possible semi-final against New Zealand in Auckland. It was no surprise that he wanted his bowlers to run through Scotland quickly. But the Hobart fans wanted to see Australia bat and rack up a huge total, and a boo went around the ground when Clarke revealed his decision.

Absentmindedness of the day

Something looked amiss as Pat Cummins ran in to bowl to Josh Davey late in the Scotland innings. It was the fact that one of the fielders in the circle was sitting on the ground. Mitchell Johnson at mid-on had got down to do some stretches and it was lucky he glanced around in the bowler's direction and saw Cummins almost in his delivery stride. Johnson jumped up with such speed he might have tweaked a hamstring, and was barely in position as the ball was bowled. It wasn't exactly walking in with the bowler.

Order of the day

On match eve, Clarke had foreshadowed potential changes to Australia's batting order so that men who had not yet had much time in the middle during this World Cup could have another chance to bat. Accordingly, Clarke opened for the first time in an ODI for nearly six years, Shane Watson moved up to No.3 and James Faulkner was promoted to No.4. It meant a rare trip to the middle order for David Warner, who came in at No.5.

Statement of the day

The second rain delay, lasting an hour and a half, had the Australians worried. They were well ahead on Duckworth-Lewis but only 13.2 overs had been bowled, well short of the 20 required to constitute a match. They still needed 39 runs, and most importantly enough time to get them. When play finally resumed with no overs lost, Warner smashed the first ball over long-off for six. It was a statement of intent, a quick kill was coming. Warner and Faulkner scored the 39 runs in just 12 balls, eager to get it done before any further rain arrived.

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @brydoncoverdale