Played at SYDNEY, December 18, 19, 21. Australia won by an innings and 155 runs. Although the conditions did not operate against them as they had at Brisbane, South Africa fared no better in the second Test match and suffered defeat at the end of three days' cricket, Australia winning in an innings with 155 runs to spare. On the opening day the visitors could do little with the bowling of Grimmett. Indeed, before lunch that player kept batsmen in such subjection that of the sixty-six balls he delivered only four were scored off. Poor to begin with, the South African batting improved after the fall of the sixth wicket at 91, but generally speaking it was unworthy of a Test match.

South Africa were all out for 153, after which Australia made 78 for one wicket and on the next afternoon the home side ran their score to 444 for seven wickets. Rigg, who had come into the Australian team instead of Kippax - suffering from the effects of a blow on the head received earlier in the season - enjoyed the distinction of making a hundred in his First Test Match. He took a little time to settle down when cricket was resumed on Saturday, but afterwards batted extremely well, helping Woodfull in a stand for the second wicket which produced 137 runs. Although frequently beaten by good balls, Rigg brought off many fine strokes all round the wicket during his stay of four hours. He and Bradman added 111 runs before Rigg was out and then Bradman and McCabe put on 93, Bradman being out to a glorious catch in the long field. Fourth to leave at 347, Bradman, although suffering from a slightly strained leg, batted in brilliant fashion for about two hours and three-quarters, being very severe on the South Africans' slow bowlers.

Rain fell slightly on the fourth morning and the three outstanding Australian wickets went down for 25 runs. Bell, although expensive, bowled admirably. Going in a second time 316 behind, South Africa had little to hope for. Christy, however, treated the bowling in light-hearted fashion, hitting up 41 out of 70 in just over half an hour but when he had been got rid of there came a collapse, six wickets being down for 100. Of the rest Vincent was the only batsman to meet with any success, and soon after the tea interval the match was all over. In the two innings Grimmett obtained eight wickets for 72 runs, very few of the visiting team playing him with any confidence.