ET News Round-Up: South Africa draft in Gibbs (7 December 1998)
SOUTH AFRICA have brought Herschelle Gibbs, the coloured Western Province batsman, into their 12-man squad for the second Test against the West Indies, which starts at Port Elizabeth on Thursday
Dec 7, 1998, 12:00 AM
7 December 1998
ET News Round-Up: South Africa draft in Gibbs
Nelson Clare
SOUTH AFRICA have brought Herschelle Gibbs, the coloured Western
Province batsman, into their 12-man squad for the second Test
against the West Indies, which starts at Port Elizabeth on
Thursday.
Gibbs replaces Adam Bacher, an opener, though he has batted in
the middle order at provincial level for most of his first-class
career.
His selection, the only change from South Africa's four-wicket
win in the first Test at Johannesburg, has come at a time of
renewed pressure for the introduction of more non-whites into
first-class cricket.
The United Cricket Board have ordered all provincial teams to
select one or more non-white players for matches as a matter of
policy. The instruction follows some stinging criticism by the
Sports Minister, Steve Tshwete, who claimed provincial selectors
were perpetuating racism.
Ali Bacher, managing director of the South African Cricket Board,
said yesterday he believed that the South Africa player accused
of rape in East London had been framed. "I am absolutely certain
he is innocent."
South Africa (from): G Kirsten, H H Gibbs, J H Kallis, D J
Cullinan, *W J Cronje, J N Rhodes, S M Pollock, -M V Boucher, P L
Symcox, A A Donald, P R Adams, D J Terbrugge.
The investigation by a judge into corruption in Pakistan cricket
has apparently found enough evidence to recommend action against
Salim Malik, a former captain, a lawyer for the cricket
authorities has disclosed.
Ali Sibtain Fazli said: "There is enough direct evidence against
Salim Malik. I don't know what the judicial commission judge will
do, but with whatever has come against him there's more than
sufficient to prove his involvement in betting and match-fixing."
He claimed that a bookmaker, Salim Pervaiz, had admitted he once
paid about £62,000 to Salim to influence a Singer Cup one-day
international. Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum, who conducted the
hearings at the request of the government, is expected to submit
his report on Dec 30.
Peter Bowler, 35, has resigned as captain of Somerset after two
seasons.
Yorkshire have completed the signing of the former Somerset
batsman Richard Harden on a two-year contract.
Grant Flower followed his left-arm spin figures of seven for 31,
a career-best, with a hard-hitting 118 off 106 balls to put
Zimbabwe in command of their tour match against Lahore City
Cricket Association yesterday.
Pakistan A decided to forfeit their four-day match against New
Zealand A in Hamilton yesterday after refusing to bat on a pitch
which had been damaged by vandals overnight.
They claimed the pitch was too dangerous and the players refused
to emerge from their changing rooms at the delayed start time
after repair work had been completed to the satisfaction of the
umpires.
Source :: Electronic Telegraph (https://www.telegraph.co.uk)