A pitch invasion in which a ground steward was injured marred the end of England's NatWest Series match against Pakistan at Headingley. England captain Alec Stewart conceded the match to Pakistan, who were just four runs short of victory when the invasion took place, with six wickets and ten overs to spare.

Younis Khan and Azhar Mahmood had seen Pakistan to the threshold of the win when the disgraceful invasion took place. It appeared to begin in the football stand, when a supporter wearing a Pakistan shirt ran on to the pitch followed by a large section of the crowd. The injured steward was stretchered off the ground after being caught up in the stampede. There were echoes of a similar incident in the floodlit game at Edgbaston earlier in the series, which was delayed by nearly half an hour after crowds burst on to the ground in the mistaken belief that Pakistan had secured victory over England.

The steward injured in the invasion at Leeds is understood to have been kicked in the head and the stomach. He was taken to hospital and was found to have suffered broken ribs and a damaged spleen.

Earlier, a destructive spell of fast bowling by Waqar Younis at the outset had set up Pakistan's win, which owed much to a partnership of 107 between Abdur Razzaq and Yousuf Youhana. It was England's tenth consecutive one-day defeat. The Pakistan captain's figures of 7-36 were the finest of his distinguished limited-overs career.

When Pakistan began their reply, Darren Gough gave England fleeting hopes of an improbable victory with a new-ball spell which accounted for both openers. Shahid Afridi was caught behind by Stewart for two as he edged an extravagant off-drive, and the same combination then accounted for Saeed Anwar. After playing some thumping strokes on the off side, the left-hander fenced at a ball from Gough to give the England captain another regulation catch.

The innings was steadied by Razzaq and Youhana, who began slowly but then accelerated as the target drew closer. Razzaq hoisted Alan Mullally for a huge six over the long-on boundary into the Football Stand crowd, and when Gough was recalled as England strove for a breakthrough, Razzaq responded by cutting him for another boundary. Youhana also played some forceful strokes, although he was content to play second fiddle to Razzaq as Pakistan moved inexorably towards England's meagre total.

Youhana was eventually caught at the wicket off Dominic Cork for a watchful 24, and Abdur Razzaq became Stewart's fourth victim for 75 (102 balls, 7 fours, 1 six), when he attempted to hit a slower ball from Cork out of the ground.

When England batted it had taken a dashing half century from Ben Hollioake to restore some of England's battered pride after Waqar's sensational new-ball spell had reduced the home side to 58 for 7. England, already condemned to third place in this tournament, were put in to bat by Waqar, who immediately spreadeagled Marcus Trescothick's stumps with the first ball of the innings.

The chilly, overcast conditions early on suited Waqar and Fazl-e-Akbar, who bowled at a lively pace from the Football Stand end. Waqar next accounted for Nick Knight, who was caught by Afridi at backward point off a leading edge. Michael Vaughan then drove uppishly into the covers where Youhana spilled a simple chance. Vaughan failed to capitalise, edging a ball to Younis at third slip in Waqar's next over.

Owais Shah became Waqar's fourth wicket when he edged a lifting delivery from Waqar to first slip, where Inzamam held on to the catch, despite wicket-keeper Rashid Latif diving across his line of sight. Paul Collingwood followed in similar fashion without scoring before Stewart, who had hung on grimly at the other end, then top-edged an attempted pull to a ball from Waqar which was caught by Razzaq at mid-off. Stewart (18) was soon followed by Dominic Cork, who was caught behind by Rashid Latif for a duck as he aimed to hit Waqar through mid-wicket.

Hollioake then gave the crowd some relief with an array of delightful drives, including three fours in a row off Mahmood. Hollioake added 67 for the eighth wicket with Gough, before the Surrey all-rounder was out for 53 (66 balls, 9 fours) as he drove over a straight ball from Shahid Afridi. Andrew Caddick then fell to a brilliant, one-handed diving catch by Latif off Mahmood, and when Alan Mullally was run out without scoring England were all out for 156, with the ebullient Gough left unbeaten on 40.

A review of ground security is likely before Pakistan next meet Australia under floodlights at Trent Bridge on Tuesday, in a rehearsal for Saturday's Final at Lord's.