Blewett considers switching states
Greg Blewett will consider moving interstate to extend his career after South Australia all but told him his days of playing for the Redbacks were over. Blewett was dropped from the one-day team on Monday after making 26, 16 and 10 in the first three Ford Ranger Cup matches of the season.
Blewett, who has not played Pura Cup cricket since 2005-06, said being left out of the Redbacks' limited-overs line-up was a shock. "I have certainly been disappointed with the way things have transpired over the last couple of days," Blewett told the Adelaide Advertiser.
"Last year I can understand getting dropped from the Pura Cup team as my season wasn't great and I was injured a bit and basically saw it coming. This one hit me for six. I saw in the paper I was averaging 59 [in 2004-05] and last year 39 which in one-day cricket was pretty good."
Blewett, 35, said the South Australia chairman of selectors Paul Nobes had indicated it would be very difficult to regain his place in the side. "After talking to Paul Nobes it was pretty clear I am not in their plans going forward," Blewett said. "Next year I am under contract but I am sure if I go through the right channels and talk to other states there might be something to look forward to."
Blewett made his debut for the Redbacks in 1991-92 and three years later was in the Australia Test team. He ended his 46-match Test career in 2000 with an average of 34.02.