England in Bangladesh 2009-10

Pietersen slams Chittagong pitch

Andrew Miller in Dhaka

March 18, 2010

Kevin Pietersen became increasingly fluent, Bangladesh v England, 1st Test, Chittagong, March 12, 2010
Kevin Pietersen is confident about his form following a productive Test in Chittagong © PA Photos
Players/Officials: Kevin Pietersen
Series/Tournaments: England tour of Bangladesh

Kevin Pietersen believes he is back to his best form after battling to overcome his technical deficiencies against left-arm spin, but he has nevertheless voiced his criticism of the Chittagong wicket that aided his recovery in the first Test against Bangladesh. Pietersen made 99 in England's first innings of the series and followed that up with a hard-hitting 32 from 24 balls, but feels that the surface on which the match was played was bad for spectators, and by extension, the five-day game as a whole.

The Bangladesh series clashes with the glitz and glamour of the Indian Premier League, to which Pietersen will flying as soon as the second Test is over to link up with the Bangalore Royal Challengers, and while he was full of praise for the spirit that Junaid Siddique and Mushfiqur Rahim showed in extending the Chittagong Test into the final afternoon, he questioned the entertainment value on offer in a match that England, to all intents and purposes, dominated from ball one.

"I don't think the conditions are good for Test match cricket," said Pietersen. "Everyone is talking about where Test cricket will be in five years' time, and I don't think wickets like that are conducive to people watching. On day five of a Test match, you expect some spin and something in the wicket, because you need wickets that will produce victories or results. I don't think the wicket was great in terms of entertainment, but in terms of English toughness it was good for our young bowling attack."

"Bangladesh were good," he said. "They fought hard in patches, especially on the last day, but with the way Test match cricket is going and the way people are talking negatively about it now, as a Test match cricket lover [I am concerned]. If we had played India on that pitch, it would have been 700 plays 700 plays 100 for 1. It's not good for Test match cricket, because I want Test match cricket to survive for as long as possible. It tests every individual and toughens you up."

Pietersen's criticisms were echoed by one of his chief tormentors of the tour, the left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak, who felt that his team had been let down by the Chittagong wicket after packing their side with four spinners in a bid to exploit the turn that they had anticipated from the surface. "The Chittagong wicket was not very spin-friendly," said Razzak. "Nothing happened for the first two days. The ball just went straight when we bowled in the first innings, and though there was some bounce, it's useless without turn."

The net result, however, was a timely return to form for Pietersen, who has had to drag his game out of the doldrums after a desperate run of form which, he claimed, was triggered by a technical fault that crept into his game during the tour of South Africa in December and January. Following scores of 40 and 81 at Centurion - his first Test since undergoing Achilles surgery in the summer - Pietersen managed 56 runs in his next five innings of the series, and said that by the end of the tour "I didn't know where I was and what I was doing".

"It was strange," said Pietersen. "I felt in good nick after the Twenty20 in Centurion [his comeback match], but then something went wrong in the third and fourth Test matches. I looked at a lot of footage, and compared it to some footage from before, and I realised I had made some technical errors, and I wasn't playing the way I used to. But I've sorted that out now, and I feel a different player."

The root of Pietersen's problem had been in his trigger movement at the crease, which involves an exaggerated knee-bend at the point of delivery. "If you lose your technique, the more your head goes," he said. "I don't want to jinx [my recovery], but I honestly do feel really, really good about my game at the moment. It's a nice place to be compared to ten days ago when I needed something to click, and something to work on, which I love doing. Yeah, I feel good now."

"There was a little thing I needed to work on, technique-wise, against the left-arm spinners, but then spending two or three hours at the crease [at Chittagong] was important as well, because when you're going through a tough time you often think: 'wow, how do I get to 20, 30, 50 ...' So to get to 99 and 30-odd off 20, by when I was hitting a lot of my areas I used to hit - midwicket off the spinner, and hitting over the top - I'm pretty happy."

As a by-product of all the thought that Pietersen has had to put into his technique against spin, he has rediscovered an urge to work on his own offspin - the facet of his game that first earned him the chance to play first-class cricket for Natal. "I think I can get a lot more wickets bowling to left-handers," he said, "with some that turn, and some that don't turn.

"A lot of the decisions I have got in my career have been down to my bounce and pace, and the uncertainty of where it is going, so I think I can get quite a few wickets. I'm looking to bowl more, and I've actually spoken to Cookie about it and I keep saying to him: 'get me on here.'"

He might well be called upon to perform with the ball in Dhaka if the wicket is anything like as slow and low as the Chittagong surface, but whatever happens, Pietersen is adamant that England must finish the series with focus and determination - two traits that have often deserted them towards the back-end of lengthy tours.

"The key to this week is finishing the tour well and concentrating on the Test match," he said. "What matters is winning the series, because we often don't finish tours the way that we would like, we sort of veer off at the end of a series because we want to get home, because we travel so much. The key to the team this week is to really make sure we grind it out here and get a good victory for Cooky [Alastair Cook], because he's done a great job on the field and off the field. We want to serve up a good victory for the chef."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh.

RSS Feeds: Andrew Miller

Posted by anush222 on (March 20, 2010, 3:33 GMT)

KP says "English toughness". Is he implying that English are tougher than others? Is toughness a quality of English?

Posted by leftarmtron on (March 19, 2010, 15:57 GMT)

i agree with neutral fan. the pictch offered nothing to the bowlers as siddique and rahim and the england batters showed. a good test pitch should offer something for both fassets otherwise we will continue to see high scoring draws when two even sides are competing. Pietersen is one of the best layers in the world and therfore his opinion IS important. he is a cocky guy yes but he's passionate about test cricket and i agree with his opinion.

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 19, 2010, 15:14 GMT)

I'm not reading too much into his 99 because as he himself stated the pitch was as flat as a road. @ lancer38 "Why does KP think his opinion is important"?.... because he IS AN INTERNATIONAL CRICKETER. I personally could never stand his cockiness BUT ALL international cricketer's opinions are fairly important...once it is about cricket of course. We don't have to agree with him or any other cricketer of course and their opinion isn't gospel but it is still worth something I assure you. If you don't agree with his comment, that is your right but rather than drop a lame comment, why not explain why you don't agree?

Posted by jezzricho on (March 19, 2010, 13:33 GMT)

Thebeaker - umm i cant even understand what ur saying?! haha something about Mathew Hayden? name me one cricket who is austalian? are u trying to say italian or australian? maybe your talking about some rare cross breed austalian who looks like Mathew Hayden? but yeah u make a good argument mate lol

Posted by leftarmtron on (March 19, 2010, 13:13 GMT)

jezzricho - i'd have to agree with beaker. is pietersen vanilla? was flintoff vanilla? james anderson who boomerangs it both ways and sorts you lot out, vanilla? granted every team has vanilla players but this is test cricket not t20. I mean look at Hussey, nothing exciting there. and don't even get me started on katich, he gets runs but i'd rather watch my gran bat as it would be far less filthy. Calling England talentless just shows how much of an aussie moron you are. i'm playing cricket in australia in the next couple years and i'm sure as beaker said as i've met many aussies that you are in the minority.

Posted by colinham on (March 19, 2010, 12:40 GMT)

The interesting point made in the interview relates to KP's technique - and what it says about the massive support staff that England have at their disposal.

He has been moving around prior to delivery for a long time now - at Lords last year it was clear to see that his "knee bend, head move,early movement" didn't compare favourably with the rock solid technique Clarke showed. Good to see that he's looked at what he's been doing wrong and started to rectify it - but what were his advisors doing when it was pretty clear to an amateur like me where at least some of his problems lay?

Posted by thebeaker on (March 19, 2010, 12:13 GMT)

jezzricho - I am not suprised that I was correct in predicting your an auzzie, your just like all of them that come over here to play club cricket - arrogant! When I visited a few years ago I did not hold much hope for the type of people I was going to meet, fortunetly for your country your a minority, most are alright! I wouldn't get started on the way players carry themselves, look at the way Matthew Hayden acting throughout his career? Name me one cricket who isn't austalian he didnt think he was arrogant and distrespectful? As for england being minnows what does that say for you guys? You've lost to us in two of the last three test series!

Posted by cook on (March 19, 2010, 7:11 GMT)

KP says he is back to his best, but he was playing against Bangladesh, on a pitch that did nothing for the bowlers. Sorry KP but you need to do it against teams better than this.

Posted by Sarfin on (March 19, 2010, 6:53 GMT)

i couldn't agree with KP.he criticized the pitch because his team couldn't get wickets cheaply in 4th innings?then may i ask why they lost 7 wickets in 3rd innings just for 209 runs??if it was such a worthless pitch, they should have scored those runs losing 1/2 wickets.I am waiting for the Dhaka test.as i know that is a spin friendly pitch.u'll have enough turn from 3rd day.welcome Mr. KP

Posted by venkatesh018 on (March 19, 2010, 6:11 GMT)

Bang on target KP about the pitch at chittagong.Any major test playing nation would have scored atleast 600 on that wicket in the first innings. It was a test pitch not too disssimilar to graveyards like ahmedabad,nagpur etc. To take 10 on that pitch is a testament to Swann's skill and hardwork. he is an unlikely gem from england, and is a great long term prospect.

Posted by sabina2009 on (March 19, 2010, 3:09 GMT)

Rather than finding criticism Kevin Pietersen should concentrate on his batting. Scoring tons of centuries against Bangladesh does not prove that you are world class batsman. And at the same time it is the good trait of any classic batsman whether he can score well on any pitches around the Globe. May be Kevin Pietersen was a bit frustrated when the English bowlers found it extremely hard to take all Bangladeshi wickets. Rather than blaming pitches players should blame on their game strategy

Posted by lancer38 on (March 19, 2010, 1:06 GMT)

Why does KP feel that his opinion is so important?

Posted by jezzricho on (March 19, 2010, 0:37 GMT)

Wow good to c sooo many ppl loved my comments! to answer your questions..yes im an Aussie, vanilla ice cream means very plain/boring/safe so basically vanilla ice cream = England..not just there cricket team i must add!

Look if England came out and stopped acting like there a REAL test playing nation and just admitted there a minnow then I wouldnt hold anything against them, but they dont..they come out and carry on like they have this talented team who should be able to win all the time, then they back it up with dull (vanilla ice cream) cricket time an time again..its just facts ppl

Posted by Woody111 on (March 19, 2010, 0:21 GMT)

This is a long series! Come on - seriously. They've only be playing for a few days. Good on KP - I like the guy; great to have someone speaking more honestly and being informative. Listening to Ponitng is boring and predictable; and Clarke will be the same if he takes over.

Posted by whocareswhowins on (March 18, 2010, 23:41 GMT)

@James *Peter Smith; we do get some sporty pitches in India too, Sir. Mohali for example. Get your facts right before shooting off!! And Strauss is a joy to watch?? God help us! @John Greenidge; yeah India do'nt have a 'quick' bowler, but they are still ranked in the top three in both forms of the game.. Sour grapes, Sir?

Posted by McGorium on (March 18, 2010, 22:44 GMT)

@JPSmith: The india-sl series had 2 results and 1 draw. Par for the course as far as test-series go. 5-0 sort of results only happen in the Ashes in the McGrath/Warne era (or games that involve a powerful side and a side that rolls over and dies. In these cases, the pitch is irrelevant. At the moment B'desh is the latter in tests). True, the first test was like Chittagong, but the rest was far from boring. Subcontinent pitches can be result pitches: they only don't help fast bowlers as much. If you have a decent spinner in your attack, you will pick a lot of wickets. Look back at the recent series in India (v SA, SL) and you won't find too many draws. Now you might argue that the pitches favour batting, but so do Aussie pitches. I suspect B'desh produces such tracks because they don't have the batting or bowling to win on a lively pitch, and a draw is an honourable result against England. KP is right, though, that it will kill test cricket in the long run.

Posted by Trickstar on (March 18, 2010, 22:34 GMT)

I think KPs' comments are right,especially at a time when test cricket is under so much scrutiny especially in the sub continent with competition of T20 .The test wicket was at best poor,considering the way ahead for all countries is to produce good quality result pitches,and as can be seen from the recent test between India v SA the Indian pitches have improved immensely. People on hear are quick to slag KP off for criticizing the pitch,but when i was watching the test match the Bangladesh commentators were of the same opinion. Abdur Razzack has come out after the match and said the same things as KP.The fact there were no spin from the first day to the last says everything,especially since the home team relies so much on spin.At the end of the day cricket is all about entertainment and that comes fro the competition between bat and ball. Its also a shame that these comment areas are full of immature half wits who come on here to make up for their own unfulfilled existence .

Posted by Trickstar on (March 18, 2010, 22:32 GMT)

Posted by Centaur64 on (March 18, 2010, 22:29 GMT)

So one decent innings on a placid track and KP Nuts, aka Motormouth, is back, doing what he does best, ie gabbing! Who cares what he thinks? He should let his bat do the talking - and consistently. He should be grateful that the pitch allowed him the opportunity to get into double figures! Someone on Cricinfo labelled him recently as England's 'main man'. He hasn't done much to deserve that title in a long time. Perhaps other readers would like to suggest who England's main man really is.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 20:54 GMT)

Khalid Hossain..... Where to start there. So Englands big win including the innings of 599 declared was a match where Bangladesh could have won??? they were never even close.

And Shahriar Nawaz.....You can really see how those teams you mentioned know how to bowl on flat pitches, just look at the amount of draws there are in the subcontinent. I watched some of the India v Sri Lanka series, some of the most boring cricket ever! if scoring 600 in most of your innings is good test cricket then my name is Nelson Mandela, KP has a right to criticise them for flat wickets, its plain to see hes right

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 20:51 GMT)

It's so funny to hear people slate Swann after one stupid comment. I can understand people having a digg at Broad, because he is a persistant offender. Swann on the other hand, other than giving a bit of chat every now and then, seems like a pretty decent bloke (not to mention an absolute hero in interviews), and even more importantly a world class spinner, I could understand critisism of his behaviour if he was a very average player ut he isn't. KP is just impossible in his own little way, I genuinely believe he doesn't say things to offend people, he's just not very good at wording his opinions, and that he is just one of those people that you can't help but want to slate, even though there's no real reason for it. But I do agree with him, the wicket was dire, regardless of opposistion, if it was Australia or India playing it would still be boring, I don't wanna see the keeper taking the ball on the 2nd bounce, I wanna see him stood back taking it over his head.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 20:46 GMT)

Pietersen needs to quit complaining....it seems it is all he does.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 20:31 GMT)

oh yeah shariar, ind/sl/pak all know how to bowl on these flat pitches...asian bias by any chance? cos SL and pak are such a force in test matches these days...and you would have thought out of a billion people india might be able to produce 1 quick bowler?! but no

Posted by Coastaltown on (March 18, 2010, 20:26 GMT)

Uh, guys? Abdur Razzak was complaining about the wicket too?

Posted by TM_G on (March 18, 2010, 20:09 GMT)

Let there be no doubt - Pietersen is now certifiably English

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 18:35 GMT)

Wow, Mr. Pietersen scored his 99 run in this so called flat pitch.So how good a player he thniks he is.And yet he is complaining !!!! he should be happy to get this track to get into some form.

May be this pitch is flat.But seems that england fears the flat pitches.Put PAK ,IND and SRI..AUS. They knows how to bowl to these types of wickets rather than complaining.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 18:34 GMT)

nice to hear that jezzricho. Yes the English are multi-talented and play entertaining cricket

Posted by Wren on (March 18, 2010, 18:23 GMT)

Because Bangladesh have deffinatly mastered the game.

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 18:04 GMT)

Well lets hope KP will score more fluently now then! a couple of good innings here and there wont be good enough, i think he will need to be handy with the ball at this rate. I dont get where your coming from Jezzricho, watching Swann bowl is one of the wonders of test cricket these days, and when Strauss in in the side he is a joy to watch, such a clean and technically gifted left hander. Plus in england we create good cricket wickets, not flat belters, i cant see a good game of cricket happening on the sub-continent any time soon!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 17:39 GMT)

England was saved by some wrong decisions and poor temperament by the bangladeshi batsmen. They could have easily lost this game despite the fact that they dominated most days of the game. But its funny how my above post reads England never mastered this game even though they were the ones who invented it. I think its very true.

Posted by mandi on (March 18, 2010, 17:23 GMT)

pieterson give a good viewpoint about bangladesh,good point

Posted by thebeaker on (March 18, 2010, 17:09 GMT)

jezzricho - australian by any chance? I was tempted to reply to your comment about Graeme Swann earlier but I thought I'd let it go. Now your slating the England side. Firstly I bet Graeme Swann was in the top 5 of wicket takers in 2009 in test cricket so to say "There would not be 1 batter in international cricket who would rate Swann in there top 50 let alone number 2!" is a quite a short sighted comment. Secondly, England have a pretty good record of the last 10 years and reguarly score at about 3.5/4 an over in test matches so to say the lack talent and are boring is again a worthless comment. Sound to me like your still bitter about the ashes and that fact that your no longer a great side, just a bit better than average!

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 16:49 GMT)

There's a saying in Bangla: "Nachte na janle uthaan baka" - translated: If you don't know how to dance, you blame the stage for being slant". That was exactly my first thought when I read the title of this article...

All this English team knows to do well is nag and whine. Collingwood really charmed everyone with his assumption about the golf courses and wooden clubs in Bangladesh. Just suck it up fellas... I'm in London right now, and having spent my last two years in the US, this place feels like a slum. But you just have to suck it up fellas...

Posted by Fifthman on (March 18, 2010, 16:34 GMT)

Wouldn't you be more at home with 20:20, Jezzricho? That short attention span style of cricket sounds like it might be more suited to your Playstation generation. Test cricket requires a certain maturity to appreciate...

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 16:17 GMT)

Looking forward to the explanation when we beat whoever this idiot supports!

Posted by donovancarragher on (March 18, 2010, 15:30 GMT)

Like most of the millions of cricket fans who waste their energy hating the england team jezzricho has a very short memory. yes, the chittagong test was boring, but does he remember the South Africa series just two months ago? 2 of the most nailbiting finishes you'll ever see. Or the ashes last year? Or - dare I say it - the 2005 ashes? England are generally an interesting side to watch in tests because we are so mediocre. We're not the best and not the worst so our test series are generally unpredictable and close. Jezz, if you hate england (like most fans, admittedly) why are you bothering to comment on this article? Either save your energy or admit that you love to hate us!

Posted by rubayed on (March 18, 2010, 15:21 GMT)

Surely the pitch was as flat as years ago folks thought the earth was but so r some pitches in Sri Lanka when they play test crickets there and I didnt quite remember them complaining then. I didnt quite like KP's comment on how them n Indians would score 700 if it was played in India.,,,,,,did he forget that English lost 7 wickets in the 2nd innings:)? Given they were going for 1uick runs but why couldnt they b 250 for 2 or 3? I'm not disputing that the pitch was not flat,,it surely was but i think English team is trying to hide their not so great bowling performance and Bangladesh's brave batting in the 2nd innings by turning all the attention towards the pitch!

Posted by DuncLancs on (March 18, 2010, 15:09 GMT)

So jezzricho, you dislike England so much that you know all about us and read articles on the internet about us......then type comments on the end of them. Who are you trying to convince here?

Posted by PottedLambShanks on (March 18, 2010, 14:52 GMT)

A very interesting insight into one of cricket's most interesting and talented players. Shows that even the most naturally gifted batsmen have to tweak and think to make it as a test cricketer, unlike those oafs at the IPL who just buy a heavy bat.

Posted by gung-ho on (March 18, 2010, 14:24 GMT)

haha, I completely agree with you jezz.

every time KP opens his mouth, he puts his foot and everything in it right after. most of us remember the Caribbean adventure where he commanded his troops not to belittle wealth because some of his friends lost jobs or something like that.. rest is history :D

mark my words, if ever he gets to play in IPL 2010, he will have a wretched tournament. and then its going to be something else. there is always something with kp, right?

england has a long way to go. lest we forget, this bangladeshi side is the same one that lost to india recently -- some of the matches were not even close.

arrogant players like broad, kp and swann are not true ambassadors of the sport or england - period. i can't wait for the ashes to begin, i want to see kp & co getting their posteriors whipped and put in place.

Posted by Dhanno on (March 18, 2010, 14:24 GMT)

Does he have the mettle to come to India and say that about Ahmedabad and Nagpur pitches ?? Those million dollar pay checks from Modi uncle will immediately stop. Have some balls man, why slamming Bangladesh who are only copying the big threes in subcontinent. India/ pak/ SL all produce crap wickets and hence crap test matches. Next time when u come to India make it a point to say this to Indian media.

Posted by jeremy.g on (March 18, 2010, 14:22 GMT)

@jezzricho - While England may not be the most 'talented' side out there, they've shown plenty of grit in the test matches leading up to this series, and that has made for compelling viewing.

Posted by iftekharmukul on (March 18, 2010, 14:15 GMT)

Dear KP, you are my one of the most favorite cricketer in International cricket, & i love England after my home countryside Bangladesh. you are on eof the most sensetional cricketer in the world along with Shahid Afridi, Shewag, gayle....but you to think first before your talking.....as you said, Chittagong test pitch were not so test friendly...then how,Graeme Swann took 10 wicket hawler ...its amazing, and at day-5, he folded the tails of Bangladesh , where they resists the attack of English bowling. please keep your great position in our fan's mind...best of luck

Posted by -Murad- on (March 18, 2010, 13:54 GMT)

Cry babies. I heard an English commentator said the samething. "This pitch is not Test standard". They couldn't bowl BD cheaply in the 2nd innings, so all the blames goes to the pitch but not their bowlers. LOL. Had they bowled us cheaply, there wouldn't be any complains from anyone from their side.

Posted by lalaloon on (March 18, 2010, 13:26 GMT)

jezzricho,

what's a vanilla ice cream side?

Posted by Ellis on (March 18, 2010, 13:13 GMT)

So what is new in an English player complaining about sub-continental wickets? But of course, centuries and runs by England players on these wickets are great innings!! If it is not the wicket, it is the weather, or the food, or the travel, or the spectators, or the umpires, or the hotels etc., whe players from England tour the sub-continent. Yet, they are treated like kings wherever they go in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. They get far more respect than they deserve.

Note Broad's apology for swearing. Another example of arrogance and disrespect. Why was he not fined or warned?

Posted by   on (March 18, 2010, 13:01 GMT)

Why is Kevin Pietersen think he can talk about everyone in CRICKET is cause the are better then him? He need to shut up an jus play cricket may then may he can be better then he is right now. Some body need to hit him in the mouth with the ball then he will shut the hell up? An i think my boy Rouch can do it in the 20/20

Posted by jezzricho on (March 18, 2010, 13:00 GMT)

Wow this great England side are about to show us how talented they are again, cant wait...NOT!!! They have the most vanilla ice cream side ever, if i have trouble sleeping at night I might put on the highlights of the mighty English playing a game they invented but obviously never mastered..they put me to sleep every time :)

Andrew MillerClose
Andrew Miller Andrew Miller was saved from a life of drudgery in the City when his car caught fire on the way to an interview. He took this as a sign and fled to Pakistan where he witnessed England's historic victory in the twilight at Karachi (or thought he did, at any rate - it was too dark to tell). He then joined Wisden Online in 2001, and soon graduated from put-upon photocopier to a writer with a penchant for comment and cricket on the subcontinent. In addition to Pakistan, he has covered England tours in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, as well as the World Cup in the Caribbean in 2007
Tour Results
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 20-24, 2010
England won by 9 wickets
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 12-16, 2010
England won by 181 runs
Bangladesh A v England XI at Chittagong - Mar 7-9, 2010
Match drawn
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 5, 2010
England won by 45 runs
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 2, 2010
England won by 2 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
More results »