THE CORDON HOME

BLOGS ARCHIVES
SELECT BLOG
November 8, 2012

Too much Mercedes, not enough Maruti

Michael Jeh
Pat Cummins to 6 for 79 on debut, South Africa v Australia, 2nd Test, Johannesburg, 4th day, November 20, 2011
Do bowlers over-complicate their training in the modern age?  © AFP

RELATED LINKS

The Gabba. First Test starts tomorrow. As a Brisbane local, I can vouch for the fact that it hasn't been too hot over the last few days, hinting perhaps at a pitch that may have a tad more moisture in it than if it had been burned off by a few days of 30 degree plus sunshine. Which naturally brings the whole topic of fast bowlers into sharp focus.

South Africa seem to have a slight advantage, only in so much as they now have four quicks to play with, whereas Australia will feel Shane Watson's loss when the other three quicks get a bit weary. My most recent article on the fitness of fast bowlers elicited a lot of comment from friends connected to the local cricket scene, coaches, administrators and bowlers themselves, who gave me more food for thought with regard to this vexing issue of why fast bowlers seem to be breaking down so much these days.

A strong theme that seems to be emerging is this notion that young bowlers are just not getting the workload under their belt these days to ensure durability. An excellent analogy provided to me by a local motor mechanic was that some of the most reliable engines he services are diesel-powered vehicles that do a lot of miles (taxi's and delivery vehicles). He is sceptical about the theory that the car owned by the little old lady who only drives it to church on Sundays is necessarily a better purchase. Similarly, he was of the view that young bowlers were simply not grooving their actions and getting enough miles on the clock to grease the moving parts, so to speak.

One must of course be mindful of young lads with stress fractures, who might just exacerbate the injury if they kept bowling, but his point is well made. I hark back to my formative years in grade cricket in Brisbane and it was almost mandatory to bowl for a couple of hours at close to 90% intensity a few times during the week. It was before the era of compulsory limits on under-age bowlers and I'm sure the science around this edict has a valid medical basis so I won't fly in the face of expert advice.

I know for a fact however, that as a relatively untalented cricketer, my improvement was down to one single factor - a massive workload that was primarily based on bowling. Not much gym work, not much fitness work, just a sheer volume of cricket balls bowled at any decent batsman who was prepared to bat against me in the nets. I went from fifth grade to first grade in a single season on the back of hours of skill-specific training (bowling at a speed similar to what I served up in a match situation). There was very little of these '25% intensity' run-throughs that I see so many elite bowlers doing these days, with all the analysis on techniques and video camera angles. I suppose I almost bowled myself into form. The cricket-specific fitness I subsequently generated was not much use to me when doing beep tests but I rarely went missing at 4.30 pm on a hot Saturday afternoon. The ball often went missing though as I was regularly deposited into the creek behind the sightscreen!

I know of an excellent young fast bowler knocking on the door of representative cricket who recently complained of mild back soreness. He was immediately withdrawn from all bowling. His gradual recovery now has him driving half an hour across town to a supervised training venue, where a coach allows him to bowl six balls one day, 12 balls the next, 18 balls the day after and so on. To my untrained, unqualified eye, that just seems like a monumental waste of time, but to be fair, I'm not aware of the rationale behind this approach. Cleverer brains than mine have clearly decided that this is the slow path to rehabilitation. By the time he gets to bowling a normal spell, he'll have Alzheimers.

These young lads have rarely bowled long spells by the time they get to senior cricket. They've had a heap of technical and video analysis but in terms of sheer miles on the clock, they're virtually brand-new. I sometimes wonder if it's paralysis by analysis - they're forever talking about their bodies using anatomical jargon that would do a medical student proud. They watch themselves endlessly on slow-motion replay and spend hours adjusting their hips/elbows/hairstyles by a degree here or there but I very rarely see them bowling to the point of exhaustion. And then … being asked to run in again for two more overs at full pace, just like they will be asked to do in a match situation when the second new ball is taken at 5.30 pm and there's a chance of knocking over the tail. It's almost as if medical science has decreed that it is a crime against humanity to ask someone to reach deep into their physical reserves and bowl two more overs flat strap when the tank is almost empty.

Their fitness levels per se are not in question. These young cricketers are super-fit and can do a triathlon before breakfast. What I'm suggesting is they are not bowling-fit. Maybe they haven't been allowed to test themselves because every time they reach a certain workload level determined by a boffin in a white coat, they are automatically sent off for a massage, ice bath or recovery session. Every time they feel an ounce of pain, sometimes brought about by aching muscles looking for a rest but still perfectly capable of another quick burst, they have been conditioned to immediately throw down the ball and engage in a series of stretching exercises that could get them an audition for the new Kama Sutra film. They simply do not (or are not allowed to) bowl through the mild pain or exhaustion barrier. After a while, they almost self-diagnose their own bodies to the point where I reckon they begin to imagine serious injury where none exists. Is the pain of injury the same as the pain of weariness?

Perhaps I am doing them a disservice. I recognise that to ignore chronic pain for too long is to risk not diagnosing a serious injury that could have long-term effects. Perhaps I am a dinosaur stuck in a time-warp, brought up in an era when hard work was thought to be the cure-all for any ailment. I concede that the truth probably lies somewhere in between these two extremes but I fear now that the system is breeding a generation of fast bowlers who are too much Mercedes and not enough Maruti.

A few years ago I was down at Allan Border Field watching Shane Watson going through a bowling session. The session lasted forty minutes, during which time the bowling coach spent a few minutes at the top of his run, messing around with his elbow, shoulder, hip, beach muscle etc. Watson would then run gently to the crease, a picture of athletic symmetry, get to the release point and then freeze. Another two minutes was spent analysing this frozen statue before the whole process was repeated again. He did this a total of eight times that morning, never once bowling a ball in anger and then packed up and went home.

Now this may well have been one training session taken out of context but listening to the dialogue between coach and bowler made me realise that it was a high-level biomechanics conversation that was way above my limited intellect but did not require any actual bowling to take place. Whoever heard of actually bowling a ball? How terribly old-fashioned indeed. It would never have worked for a plodder like me - apart from the likelihood of being bored stiff, I always got more out of a practice session that involved bowling to a real batsman with an imaginary field-set and a run-target. Even the batsman got something out of these sessions because he wasn't just hitting gorgeous cover drives - he was looking to hit gaps and pace his run-rate. We bowled in six ball installments with a short break, trying to simulate a long spell of bowling with sweat dripping, clammy clothing and muscles that had to get used to cooling down and warming up continuously.

Perhaps there are cricketers all over the world who still practice like this, playing imaginary Tests with their mates and simulating the exhaustion and pain of a long bowling spell. They will soon learn that the system will not allow them such simple pleasures. It's all about workload management, rest intervals, hydration thresholds and program specificity. I'm not quite sure what any of it means but I reckon late tomorrow afternoon at the Gabba, all of that will be forgotten. It will come down to someone's ability (and willingness) to dig deep and find an extra yard of pace when his team needs it most. It requires guts. And heart. How do you train for that in the gym?

Michael Jeh is an Oxford Blue who played first-class cricket, and a Playing Member of the MCC. He lives in Brisbane

RSS Feeds: Michael Jeh

Posted by Wakakazi on (November 10, 2012, 3:40 GMT)

Flat pitches, increased work load, new techniques to hit sixes and fours, batsmen friendly conditions all sum up to hurt the bowlers physically and mentally; thats what i thought got the better of fast bowlers.

Posted by Meety on (November 10, 2012, 3:21 GMT)

I remember Brett Lee recently saying that you need the bone density that comes from the repetitve grind at the bowling crease. All that velocity coming down thru the bones etc. I agree 100% with anyone who suggest that long stints of bowling is the best way to get "bowling fit". The annoying thing about Cummins recent injury is, he complained about soreness 2 or 3 games before the end of the Champ League. Nothing substantial was done in the interim. I wasn't overly surprised he is injured, all those one over spells for weeks on end cannot be good!

Posted by ygkd on (November 9, 2012, 21:48 GMT)

This issue doesn't stop at bowlers. Teen batsmen don't bat enough - there's too much short stuff and too much expectation on them to develop all-round skills. I'm not saying they shouldn't field well, but how many are expected to take wickets with rubbish bowling in order to get a place in a state junior squad? Let them learn to bat first. Keepers, too, don't do that enough - its good enough for them to do a bit at club level, make runs and stand well back if they have to. And don't even think about spinners - proper turners, flighters and deceivers! The issue here is that specializasation has become something that only support staff do. Sure, there's plenty of time being spent on the game but so much of it seems to be about several staff fiddling at the edges trying to produce one all-rounder who was earmarked for such treatment at the age of 11, but will probably become a footballer anyway. How about we just produce cricketers by letting them get on with it, doing what they do best?

Posted by njr1330 on (November 9, 2012, 15:51 GMT)

'...As a relatively untalented cricketer...' Michael, from what I saw in the Liverpool Competition, about 15 years ago, you are being too hard on yourself !!

Posted by bookCricketer on (November 9, 2012, 3:57 GMT)

Fred has a very valid point there. the over emphasis in fielding requires people to be 'athletes' than just masters in their specific traits - nowadays a bowler is expected to be a good bat as well while in the old day he was only expected to , well bowl.

Posted by ZJA Smith on (November 8, 2012, 15:18 GMT)

What you pointed out Mr Jeh is true, there a so many young sportsmen who could easily run 10 miles, or push themselves through a triathlon, but will get injured in very serious ways which have occurred due to what seem like rather minor incidents (for example, a conventional rugby tackle, or falling over on your ankle). Perhaps the youth of today do not build up their bodies' resistances to injury and stress like they used to. For example, kids who do a lot of physical activity now tend to do so through a sports club, which reinforces a set of very specific movements within the child's body as opposed to running around whoever knows where. There may no longer be the total body workout gained from simply climbing trees regularly, or playing games with your friends outside, which ultimately strengthen your body in a way which counteracts injury proneness. Then again, it could just be that injury is thankfully better diagnosed now.

Thanks for a really thought provoking article!

Posted by X-Japan on (November 8, 2012, 14:39 GMT)

(continued from John Arlott's biography of Trueman) It is an illogical form of activity which may account for the fact that there is no logical form of preparation for it. (end quote)

I am sure the coal mines had very much to do with this kind of bodily strength. You do not need a pretty body, but a strong, solid one. Maybe the going-to-be fast bowlers should be lifting heavy stones and moving them, doing general physical work etc., rather than going to the gym? ;)

@Fred - I don't know about Trueman's fielding in the outfield but he was one of the finest short-leg fieldsmen of his time. He took phenomenal catches off the bowling of Tony Lock and Jim Laker, amongst others. Though your point about the additional strains of agile fielding may very well be correct.

Posted by X-Japan on (November 8, 2012, 14:31 GMT)

I am going to quote here from John Arlott's biography of Fred Trueman:

... his immensely strong body. It was not merely powerful. It was quite phenomenally solid, without observable weakness; and it proved magnificently durable. Like S.F. Barnes, Derek Shackleton and Brian Statham, he bowled himself fit. ... His legs were like tree trunks; and he bowled himself fit - that is to say fir for bowling, which is a peculiar and unique kind of fitness. There is no known training for a man, who wearing heavy steel-capped boots, thick socks, flannel trousers and a shirt thick enough to guard against chill, to walk 150 yards, run 150 yards, with six violent peaks of muscular action, in 5 minutes; rest for 5 minutes and do it again, at the same intervals for an hour; then, when the muscles have set or while they are still tired, be called upon to go through the whole routine again... in the cold of an English spring or the heat and humidity of Brisbane... (continued)

Posted by Abhishek on (November 8, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

Perhaps the strengths developed from doing real world tasks (a la Rocky Balboa in the 4th installment when he takes on the mighty Russian fighter, gym trained and steroid boosted!) is longer lasting and more beneficial. I'd perhaps agree with Geoffrey Plumridge's comments as well. Another wonderfully fit player of all times, Kapil Dev (he of not-missing-a-single-of-his-131-tests-due-to-fitness fame!) recently discussed the problem and pointed out that simple running was an excellent exercise and that current bowlers are running less than they ought to and depending more on gyms!

Posted by Fred on (November 8, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

Perhaps the reason modern bowlers seem to get more injuries than the older generation is not just the lack of bowling but the expectations in the field. Fred Truman famously got fit for bowling by bowling but in the field if the ball got hit towards him in the deep if it didn't come straight to him he would stick out a boot and stop it with his foot. Modern bowlers cannot do that they are expected to run and dive and be as athletic as everyone else. So they have to train to be allrounders - they can't just get fit by bowling it's not enough. The fielding expectations probably also add to injuries, the running, diving, picking up, throwing all add different strains to the body. Issues that bowlers like Truman never had to deal with.

Posted by Tom on (November 8, 2012, 10:25 GMT)

My experience is certainly not representative of the high-end bowlers referred to in the article, being an unfit slow left arm spinner who plays one weekend a year, but my bowling this year somewhat backs this up.

I learned I was going to be captain of my company team and realised that my bowling was all I could realistically bring to the team, so a few nights a week I set up a wicket in a local park and bowled overs at a target on the floor (I had six balls, so that was convenient!).

By the time the company tournament came around I was so confident in my action that I had developed a couple of variations, and could bowl them all with enough control to hit exactly where I wanted. I took a wicket every over I bowled and was hit for very few runs.

The most surprising thing for an unfit guy like me was that I had no discomfort afterwards - at least not from my bowling action!

Posted by Ali Shah on (November 8, 2012, 10:05 GMT)

Wonderful piece. The part with stretching exercises like kama sutra had me ROFL. Btw I do agree with your reliance of less on biomechanics and more on hard work

Posted by Geoffrey Plumridge on (November 8, 2012, 9:21 GMT)

This is simple. In a first class career spanning 559 matches Brian Statham bowled over 100,000 deliveries in match conditions. He never missed a single match due to injury. He had no player conditioner or fitness team. He just bowled til he was fit, and then kept bowling. If anyone can name a modern bowler even going back to the 80's (Hadlee 26,000, McDermott 36,285) that can match those figures, please do so. Fast bowlers have been bowling less (and playing less cricket in general) every decade since the 50's. And they bowl hardly at all now, even are stopped from bowling too long in the nets. It's the simple things that people often just cannot understand. To be bowling fit, you must be fit FROM bowling. Gym means nothing compared to the repetitive strengthening from bowling in match conditions.

Posted by david on (November 8, 2012, 8:22 GMT)

Did Jeff Thompson get tired? Fred Truman? They were genuinely strong men, not average guys who use a gym a lot. There is a difference. And they got by on a diet of pies and pints. If a bit of bowling gets you too tired you're in the wrong job. Try forty years heaving coal down a mine.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Michael Jeh
Born in Colombo, educated at Oxford and now living in Brisbane, Michael Jeh (Fox) is a cricket lover with a global perspective on the game. An Oxford Blue who played first-class cricket, he is a Playing Member of the MCC and still plays grade cricket. Michael now works closely with elite athletes, and is passionate about youth intervention programmes. He still chases his boyhood dream of running a wildlife safari operation called Barefoot in Africa.

All articles by this writer