Commonwealth Bank Series 2011-12 February 6, 2012

Hilfenhaus replaces Lee in ODI squad

Ben Hilfenhaus, the leading wicket-taker in Australia's Test series victory over India, has been recalled to the national ODI squad to replace the injured Brett Lee - his first limited overs duty in more than two years.

The national selector John Inverarity and his panel chose an experienced name to cover for Lee rather than picking another youthful pace bowler, affording Hilfenhaus the chance to play his first 50-over internationals since a tour of India in late 2009.

On that tour Hilfenhaus suffered from knee tendinitis that would subsequently keep him out of international cricket for most of the 2009-10 season, and had been employed exclusively in Test matches since.

While naming Hilfenhaus, Inverarity suggested the XI for the Perth match against Sri Lanka on Friday was likely to be unchanged from the one that defeated India in Melbourne on Sunday. However Hilfenhaus may play in the third match, against India in Adelaide on Sunday at Adelaide Oval.

"The NSP has named Ben Hilfenhaus in the squad for the game against Sri Lanka in Perth on Friday," Inverarity said. "Ben will replace the injured Brett Lee. The bowling attack for Perth is likely to be the same as the one that did so well in Melbourne and Ben will be in Perth to provide cover."

Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle have been resting in reserve since the completion of the Test series, which reaped 27 wickets at 17.22 for the Tasmanian after he was recalled for the Boxing Day Test.

Siddle (23 wickets at 18.65) is likely to come into contention for the second half of the ODI series, his exertions in nine consecutive Test matches deemed worthy of a longer break than Hilfenhaus' four.

As previously flagged by the selectors, Mitchell Marsh will join the ODI squad after the completion of the Sheffield Shield fixture between Queensland and Western Australia at the Gabba. Two of the other mooted contenders for Lee's spot, Nathan Coulter-Nile and Alister McDermott, are also taking part in the match.

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

• TeamRocker on February 7, 2012, 13:12 GMT

I think Hilf is a good enough choice for the series, he gets swing and has a good line and length. But I just don't see him in the squad. I can't see Harris, Starc or McKay being dropped after what they did in the first game. Starc took early wickets, McKay got 4 and Harris kept things tight and troubled the Indian batsmen. I see no reason to mess around with a bowling line-up that bowled so well in tandom.

• kensohatter on February 7, 2012, 4:48 GMT

Agree with Busie and others on this comments page that Hilfy is not the right choice for ODIs. We need to pick guys who are geniune potential world cup ODI players and I cant see Hilfy or Siddle being involved. They were great in the tests and should definitley be involved with the next test series but success here does not translate to automatic ODI selection. Bolinger is def a forgotten man as is callum ferguson whose injury almost certainly cost him a test place... Heres hoping both fight their way back

• Bone101 on February 7, 2012, 2:59 GMT

I agree with so many others here, this is a terrible decision. Should be Coulter-Nile.

• zenboomerang on February 7, 2012, 2:19 GMT

Seems a lot of comments are looking at past stats of Hilfy (I regularly look at stats), but forget about current form... & Hilfy is in form... He probably wouldn't get a ODI run if Pattinson, Cummins, Johnson were fit - but they aren't... Hilfy was the main destroyer at the WACA Test taking 8 wkts with a economy of 2.69 & the WACA is the next ODI for Oz... Seems like a reasonable back-up bowler to me...

• zenboomerang on February 7, 2012, 2:16 GMT

@Busie1979 :- "although I'd like to see a big first class season for him to be in the test team" ... By your logic on Starc, then neither Pattinson or Cummins should have ever played a Test for Oz... Not trying to sound rude, but do you know what happens in the background? Pattinson was picked 3 years ago as a good Test prospect & spent that time building his skills up to the point he was picked - he was ready to go... Similar story goes for quality young fast bowlers...

• Meety on February 7, 2012, 2:11 GMT

@smudgeon - ALSO, as a variation of your "core" idea, what about if Oz play an ODI at the Gabba, they select local plaers like Cutting & McDermott, travel to Perth, Coulter-Nile & Hogan etc? Whilst I think Howard was investigating shoes as a cause for the injuries, I tend to think it is the amount of travel in air planes. A few years back there use to be double header week ends (triple header in Adelaide on Oz day week end). I think it would be easire for a bowler to play back to back ODIs, instead of play one day, rest two (half the time taken in air travel & buses etc).

• Meety on February 7, 2012, 0:52 GMT

@Busie1979 - Bollinger hasn't played since Xmas. So he would not of been considered. When fit he is a worthy ODI & T20 selection, I think his days as a Test bowler are over. His test stats are a bit misleading as I think from memory he only has taken about 6 wickets against a top 4 side. @smudgeon - I don't mind the core idea. I suppose it depends on when the respective W/Cups are scheduled. So as for T20 atm, you'd be wanting to select your best players available as it's due later in the year in SL. As for ODIs, I'd say experiment with youth/performers atm. When you look at this list 1.MJ, 2. Bollinger, 3. Hazlewood, 4. Cummins, 5. Pattinson, 6. Cutting, 7. Coulter-Nile - they all have had significant injuries this year, Bracken's career was cut short recently due to injury, I think the workload needs to be shared. That's why I like Lee still playing (when NOT injured). Share the load, limit the travel for the big men!

• Dismayed on February 7, 2012, 0:52 GMT

I agree with Meety, a missed opportunity I think. Great opportunity to bring some of the younger or less tried guys, we know what Hilf can do, lets look at the younger guys. Likewise I dont see the point of playing Ponting in the ODI's if he is to continue let it be in tests, but now would be agreat time for him to retire.

• Busie1979 on February 6, 2012, 22:24 GMT

Donda - Warner didn't get picked for the test team based on T20 form. He has performed at state level in all forms of the game and that is why he was picked in all forms of the game. A player is more likely to be a consistent performer at international level with a good state track record behind him in the same format. I am not talking about a flash in the pan couple of series. I'm talking about over the course of a career. Hilfy has had a good test series. My hat goes off to him - he has been outstanding. Can he sustain for 4 to 5 years? I wouldn't pick him in the ODI side based on a couple of good test performances. It should be based on domestic one day form. He still has work to do to convince me he is a better and more worthy replacement than bollinger, NCN, Mitchell Johnson, Pattinson, Faulkner, etc at ODI level. Same goes for Siddle, whose 50 over record is average. My view may change with some good domestic 50 over performances over a season or two.

• Wozza-CY on February 6, 2012, 21:38 GMT

@Smudgeon- I think a 'core' of players for the three different formats would be a great idea. Players like Warner & Watson can float between the three.

• No featured comments at the moment.