County news September 29, 2010

Old Trafford redevelopment plans get final go ahead

ESPNcricinfo staff

Lancashire have been given the green light from the government to proceed with their plans for a £32m redevelopment the Old Trafford stadium.

The plan, which is in conjunction with a Tesco development near the ground, had threatened to be derailed earlier this month when Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said he wanted to review the proposal after another supermarket threatened legal action.

But now with the government satisfied Lancashire can begin work to improve the facilities and rotate the wicket by 90 degrees to overcome the troublesome history of bright afternoon light reflecting off the media centre into the batsmen's eyes to stop play.

"This is a historic moment for Old Trafford, as it will ultimately secure the future of international cricket in Greater Manchester and the northwest," said Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes.

"We can now immediately commit to the turning of the wicket, a vital stage in our programme for the re-developed stadium to be ready in time to host The Ashes in 2013. Two new grandstands and a re-furbished Pavilion will ensure a capacity of 15,000 capable of rising to 25,000 with temporary seating. There will also be floodlights and a screen showing action replays."

Comments have now been closed for this article