Australia news January 5, 2016

Australia pull out of U-19 World Cup

ESPNcricinfo staff
176

Play 01:17
Coverdale: Australia merely following government's security advice

Australia have pulled out of the Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh starting on January 27 due to security concerns. Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said the decision was taken after advice from the government stated that the threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh was as high as when the senior team had pulled out of their tour in October last year.

The ICC has invited Ireland, who were runners-up in the qualifying tournament in Kuala Lumpur in October, to replace Australia in the tournament.

No other team is known to have similar plans. New Zealand Cricket confirmed that they would be going ahead with their tournament preparations as scheduled.

"For some time we have been working closely with ICC security advisors and monitoring the security situation in Bangladesh and have been keeping our players, officials and the players' parents as up to date as possible," Sutherland said. "Regrettably, the advice from our Government suggests that the security threat to Australians travelling to Bangladesh remains as high now as it was when we postponed the Test team's tour of that country late last year.

"Included in that is reliable information suggesting there is a high threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh and the knowledge that the Australian Government has authorised the dependents of posted diplomatic staff in Bangladesh to return home to Australia. In the end, with all of the information and advice we have received, we feel we had no alternative other than to make this difficult decision."

The ICC said it respected CA's decision but was disappointed by it. "The ICC takes its responsibilities around the safety and security of ICC events extremely seriously," its chief, David Richardson, said. "And taking into consideration the full and unequivocal support of the Bangladesh government that has been afforded to us at the highest level and through all local security agencies, the advice we have received from our own and independent security experts, and the robust security plan that has been developed, the ICC remains of the view the it is appropriate for event planning to continue as scheduled.

"Security plans associated with an event of this size and stature are always subject to continual review to ensure that they remain appropriate and fit for purpose, and this event is no different."

The BCB told ESPNcricinfo that it had cooperated fully with the ICC regarding security for the event, but the final decision to visit lay with individual countries. "We have given a strong security plan to the ICC and took into consideration everything it asked us to do," Jalal Yunus, the BCB's head of media, said. "Whether a member nation decides on coming to Bangladesh or not, is up to them."

Sutherland said CA had not taken the decision lightly and apologised to the ICC and BCB for inconvenience caused by the late withdrawal. "In advising the BCB, we have reaffirmed our desire to get back to Bangladesh to play cricket as soon as possible and will continue to discuss this with them in the coming months," he said. "We also know that this is a very disappointing outcome for our young players, who will have been looking forward to this event with great anticipation."

NZC chief David White said that while they were monitoring the security situation "on a daily basis," the board was "comfortable with the security arrangements put in place by the ICC and the Bangladesh government".

''The difference [between us and Australia] is the threat is, as we understand it, is specific to Australian nationals," White said. ''For the likes of us, England, South Africa and so on, there's a risk for westerners, but not specific to our nationals. That's the issue Australia had prior to Christmas as well."

Australia were in Group D of the Under-19 World Cup along with India, Nepal and New Zealand.

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • rcck_roll on January 9, 2016, 18:29 GMT

    We dont want australia to come down our country.They are other country who think it is safe to play cricket here.Australia is nothing but rubbish team .Bd should not go to aus as well to play any kind of sport.Please publish

  • ygkd on January 8, 2016, 23:32 GMT

    I should add that I have no beef about Bancroft per se. I'm sick of the attitude that Australian cricketers are kings in their own backyard. The fan method of keeping is regularly taught here these days. It is about getting as much area as possible out of the gloves. It is not about reading the ball's trajectory. It is not about closing the gloves around the ball with ease. It ticks one box and crosses two. If Australia doesn't send young players to the sub-continent and doesn't put them on pitches back home that are sub-continental in nature, how do they sort their game out for those conditions? How do they come to realise the limitations of their coaching? It is only through repeated exposure that such things come about. Given more limited exposure, the odd good game can lead a lad to think that all is well, when it isn't. Is that the young bloke's fault? Not entirely. That's the job of management and coaching - to give them the opportunities they need.

  • ygkd on January 8, 2016, 22:45 GMT

    @Lillee4PM - keeping in the BBL and keeping in the sub-continent (especially in Tests) are of different orders of magnitude entirely. Yes, Bancroft was better the next game keeping to Hogg (for all of four overs at the Sydney Showgrounds). So, that hardly makes a mockery of what I said. The style is all wrong for tougher conditions and longer innings. It's horses for courses - like Lillee for fast bowling, rather than the head of government. Bancroft will improve with that modern style but it will take him much, much longer to get to a high consistent level. And that was the whole point - consistency. Or did Bancroft become more consistent. in just one game, without me noticing? I doubt it.

  • Jspencer on January 8, 2016, 15:20 GMT

    if Ausis are concerned about their citizens then why they send their soccer team few weeks erlier?

  • MightrySparrow on January 7, 2016, 21:23 GMT

    I think CA are over-reacting. First, they cancelled the tour of the senior national team; and now the U-19. I'm sure that Bangladeshi authorities will do what's necessary to protect the visiting lads, particularly so in light of CA's ongoing security concerns. Let's hope the Irish make the most of their opportunity.

  • lillee4PM on January 7, 2016, 12:45 GMT

    @YGKD ON JANUARY 6, 2016, 22:27 GMT...Bancroft kept very well in tonight's BBL game, especially to Hogg, so I guess that cancels out your point, or did he slip off to the sub-continent for practice without me noticing?

  • ygkd on January 6, 2016, 22:27 GMT

    Security aside, 'elite' Australian youth cricketers need to play in the sub-continent more and in similar conditions back home. Batting to spin is a bit of a problem, but far bigger is wicket-keeping to spin. Last night in the BBL I saw Handscomb, who is a batsman of some ability, using the usual 'bamboo-fan' method up at the stumps. The scorecard shows he got a stumping. What it doesn't show is how he got it - off the body without gloving the ball. The other night, Bancroft made a mess of a run-out due to his stiff, wide-pushed hands when softer, cupped hands were called for. Young keepers today routinely use that 'fan' method. Playing in the sub-continent may teach them the limitations of it. Playing in Bangladesh may also have been a wake-up call for the Australian youth team. The conditions there are quite foreign for those brought up on Australian wickets. They're not getting that experience now and that's a pity.

  • Batsnumbereleven on January 6, 2016, 16:48 GMT

    @shahneoaz - Ireland isn't part of England.

    Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

    The Republic of Ireland is a completely separate entity.

  • Dunwall on January 6, 2016, 15:29 GMT

    @CARLWHYTE so, the lives of the kids, of any other countries that are participating, do not matter to their respective government. What about the kids of Ireland? Do their lives not matter? This is what you are going for? Pathetic.

  • TheTrueOracle on January 6, 2016, 15:01 GMT

    Congratulations to Ireland in taken over australia place.

  • No featured comments at the moment.