Sri Lanka v West Indies, Final, World Twenty20, Colombo

Relief for Samuels after 'a lot of tough times'

Abhishek Purohit in Colombo

October 7, 2012

Marlon Samuels walked into the post-final press conference with the serious air of a man who had suffered and had come back to script an achievement so rare and so stunning that a jaunty expression might belittle his accomplishment. About the only time he broke into bit of a smile was when he spoke about taking on Lasith Malinga.

Samuels has had a mercurial career, having also been banned for two years in 2008 for actions that could bring him or the game into disrepute. He spoke of how difficult a time it had been. "The career has been up and down," Samuels said. "There have been a lot of tough times. I dealt with them in simple ways and tried to let them pass. Being under pressure on a cricket field is nothing compared to what I've been through off the field.

"As my mentor always said to me, everything that happened to me in life is because I'm important. I'm not someone that will ever give up. I never say die. The person that I am deep down inside is the reason why I am still here playing cricket. I have a family that believes in me. If outsiders don't, it doesn't really matter to me."

Samuels said the World Twenty20 triumph had shown to the world that West Indies cricket was back, and hoped that would bring back a lot of fans to watch the team. "We haven't been winning any major title for years now," Samuels said. "This is a great achievement, for past cricketers and for these cricketers who have bonded together to form a strong unit."

"In the past, we had some near misses but nevertheless, God willing, we came out on top. This is T20, but it can bring a lot of fans to watch us. Around the world, people still love to watch West Indies cricket. It is wonderful to bring back new people and people who have been watching cricket for a long time.

"We will celebrate as long as possible and enjoy the moment. This is a moment to cherish, and cherish forever. The entire Caribbean embraces it [the trophy]. The sky is the limit and words can't really explain it. It means the world to us."

Samuels was almost single-handedly responsible for West Indies getting to 137 for 6 after they had been 32 for 2 at the halfway mark. Half of his 78 runs came in just 11 deliveries against Lasith Malinga, who he hit for five sixes and a four. "I was waiting there for someone to come and build a partnership," Samuels said. "Since that did not happen, I decided to take on Malinga. From last night, I was playing Malinga in my mind and I decided to take him on.

"I only faced him one time [in the IPL] in the first game against Mumbai [Indians], and he got me out bowled," Samuels said. "I was very upset. This was my time today to get back at him."

Once West Indies had got close to 140, Samuels was confident of their chances. "Having batted most of the overs on the pitch, my advice was that it was still a challenging total," he said. "The pitch was a tough one. As long as we could get some quick wickets and put the pressure on Sri Lanka, it would work in our favour."

Abhishek Purohit is an editorial assistant at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Abhishek Purohit

Posted by Samar_Singh on (October 9, 2012, 5:57 GMT)

Great exhibition of shots. Very well played Samuels..

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 5:23 GMT)

Well done Samuels...the way he played malinga was brutal...:)))

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 22:23 GMT)

great team effort, this one is for all those who believed that the WI could not perform without Gayle. This was a complete team effort!!! Well done Windies!!!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 20:20 GMT)

Congratulations, WI! You kept your heads together while our SL boys did not. Hope WI will soon become the marauders of the Vivian Richards era, again. Best Wishes!

Posted by Alkais on (October 8, 2012, 19:32 GMT)

Just wondering what a team will this current Windies Team will be when all of these current player fire together in both Test and ODIs. Gayle,Bravos,Samuels, Braithwaite,Rampaul,Kemar Roach, Sunil Narine. Would love to see all of these players fire together. This team should get one bowler who is like Curtly Ambrose, then this current team will be one team to defeat and play with. Would be a fantastic contest.

Posted by AKHLAQ11 on (October 8, 2012, 19:17 GMT)

REALLY THIS INNING FROM MARLON SAMUEL REMINDED ME OFF SACHIN TENDULKAR INNING IN SHARJAH 2000 AGAINST AUSTRALIA IN FINALLL........THE LAST SIX WHICH SAMUELS HITED TO MALINGA I REALLY THOUGHT IT MIGHT LAND IN WEST INDIES .....GREAT MAN ...GREAT INNING

Posted by hash98 on (October 8, 2012, 18:37 GMT)

Well done WINDIES......you truly deserved this title. Best of luck!!!

Posted by nuffsaid on (October 8, 2012, 18:27 GMT)

Well done! and Kudos to the whole WI unit for the trump. We indeed need a very strong WI side to keep a balance in the cricketing world for globalizing and nursing this great game! Aussie and mean India can't do any good to this game.. One more time thanks for bringing back the history!

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (October 8, 2012, 16:40 GMT)

This was the Best T20 innings ever under that pressure v those bowlers in their backyard with a full crowd it really was special never seen anyone hit Malinga so brutally all around the ground ! incredible how Marlon wasn't man of the series ? Watson was amazing early on but again he choked in the pressure games v Pak and W.I spin, Marlon hit runs in Semi the final group stages and also bowled and hit the winning runs with a 6 in the super over v NZ !

Posted by BRUTALANALYST on (October 8, 2012, 16:38 GMT)

@gmsjgmsj " Samuels also talked of how test cricket was the most important format.. This is a sincere and serious observation coming from a player who had just won a World Cup for his country. ICC should take note of this and improve the standard of test matches world-wide." INDEED I thought this would have made a headline on Cricinfo it doesn't seem to have even been mentioned that was a great and honest statement from Samuels I think he also added he hope to take W.I back into the top of Test cricket as he loves Test cricket and it will always be the best cricket.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

Congrats well played Samuals and i also loved Chris Gayles celebration at the end.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:43 GMT)

tough to be back after 2 year ban hats of to him he did it w.indiies

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:32 GMT)

I have seen some outstanding batting and bowling in world cup final like Ponting's blitzkrieg in 2003 final, Ghilcrist's master class in 2007 final, Akram's double act in 1992 final, Desilva's brilliant hundred in 1996 final. I will definitely add Samuel's 78 in this list.

Posted by fxwolfie on (October 8, 2012, 13:19 GMT)

Great all round performance by the team.Once again showing tremendous input by all members of the TEAM.I would like to extend special congratulations to Sunil and Mr.Badree and also Marlon.Special congrats to all my Trinidad and Tobago countrymen who were in the team.There were about 6 of you in the semis and finals and once again shows the tremendous Trinidad input in West Indies cricket.

The team should remember that this is the new dawn of W.I.cricket .Don't let this victory go to your heads since the rebuilding of cricket here has now started.The players do have a tendency to become complacent.Please avoid this at all costs.

Posted by TsoroM on (October 8, 2012, 12:49 GMT)

Well played last night Marlon. He really has come leaps and bounds over the past year or so. And has become a good all-round cricketer and a bastmen particularly pleasing to the eye. I enjoyed watching him take on Graeme Swann earlier in the eye. He was just a thing of beauty! Well done Marlon. I'm a South African who is a big fan of West Indies cricket so I hope the good work continues...

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 12:49 GMT)

"Half of his 78 runs came in just 11 deliveries against Lasith Malinga"... Something to reflect over by a lot of senior cricketers (both bowlers and batsmen) all over the world! And, act with introspection and humility (And, of course with tremendous pride in their past). Readers can fill in the blanks... for the names of specific cricketers in specific teams!

Posted by JiggsBda on (October 8, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

Well done Marlon,

I remember how you took on Srinath in India (their best bowler at that time) and punished him for 22 in one over at a critical juncture of the match... with no cross batting just good clean hitting through the line....Poetry in motion and won the game to boot

Posted by DravidLaxmanGangulyKumbleSehwag on (October 8, 2012, 12:20 GMT)

Very much happy to see WI back intp business...It is very good for world cricket...Happy to see kick Aussies out of the ground easily whenever they want..Kudos to Samuels for his revenge heroic performance against Malinga...I like their gaganyam dance very much....Hats off to Gayle & Narine also... Can someone explain me what is the meaning of the dance performed by WI group on Samuels when he took the wicket ?????

Posted by 100_rabh on (October 8, 2012, 12:15 GMT)

One more thing he said in after match presentation was that test cricket is still the best and he wants to do good in it as well. If WI can challenge the regular top 5-6 test playing nations like England, SA, Aus, India and Pakistan, that would be really good for test cricket. Hope them to have a clean sweep vs. BD.

Posted by blackie on (October 8, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

The way Samuels batted made me sorry I was watching the game alone. He was unbelievably good. I was blown away by his batting. What was incredible is that Malinga was bowling like he always bowls, fast and yorker-length. Samuels treated him like he was bowling medium paced half volleys. Can't recall when last I've seen Windies this good. They played like determined champions. Sammy did a fantastic job too.

Posted by Kulaputra on (October 8, 2012, 10:57 GMT)

The West Indies are back and cricket will be wonderful to watch again.

Today's victory must have made Sir Gary very happy. He played test matches like T20 if one believes the videos. Watch the video of the tied test. Not much difference between live and highlights !!

Marley Samuels - An innings of a life time like Collis King's against England. Pure pleasure to watch and all the former greats from Sir Gary to Brian Lara will be proud of you.

Look forward to new talent and more brilliant cricket from the Windies.

Posted by lawton on (October 8, 2012, 10:20 GMT)

Althogh I am not from the West Indies my favourite team has always been the WI since the great Frank Worrell's team and yesterday's performance in winning the T20 finals is some thing I'll savour for the rest of my life.Iam so happy for all the people in the West Indies

Posted by Yevghenny on (October 8, 2012, 10:16 GMT)

When I saw Samuels tour England a few years ago, I thought he was just another lazy player, and how bad it was for West Indies cricket. This year he has been magnificent, in all 3 formats. At the start of the test series with England, I saw Holding almost pleading with people to pay attention that he had all the shots in the game, now he's getting the runs to back it up. International cricket is very tough, but Samuels is really making a name for himself now

Posted by Pathiyal on (October 8, 2012, 9:41 GMT)

i think he can breathe a bit easy for a while! hope they pick up with this triumph.

Posted by 777aditya on (October 8, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

The one thing I vividly remember is when Gayle was not in the team and was watching from the isles, Samuels after scoring a century went onto shake hands with his hero. Now for the same Gayle to lavishly praise Samuels for his performance must be a huge compliment. Samuels, though, could do well not to get overconfident and stay in the form he is for as long as possible.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (October 8, 2012, 8:20 GMT)

watched his shots. Definitely not slogging. Thought it was over for WI (felt even 137 wasnt good enough). But credit to his bowling as well. For godsake dont use rampaul in death overs. He gets brilliant starts but disappoints in the end.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 7:53 GMT)

Comeon Samuels! :) :).. Carribean people and the world are behind you.. :).. you were awesome

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 7:52 GMT)

I am really for West Indies that they are improving and showing other nations to watch out for them!

Posted by TheTraveller on (October 8, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

He is a very talented batsman.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 6:25 GMT)

One of the Finnest Innings i've Ever seen. An innings of a Man who has some thing to prove.

Posted by gmsjgmsj on (October 8, 2012, 6:21 GMT)

Posted by SRTMEANSPUB on (October 8, 2012, 5:07 GMT)

Best inning in any world cup final.......

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 5:05 GMT)

Marlon Samuels took us back to a time when it was fun to watch cricket--especially WINDIES cricket.He plays in the vein of great WEST indian players of the past, he is just not gifted, he works hard,believes in his ability & his team-mates, WI will win many more matches with him in the team.Congrats to Windies,Sammy has been vindicated, Gayle is back--Rally round de WI.

Posted by NP_NY on (October 8, 2012, 5:05 GMT)

"The pitch was a tough one". It certainly didn't seem like it when you were batting out there Marlon. You were absolutely brilliant yesterday. Congratulations!

Posted by Ramster60068 on (October 8, 2012, 3:53 GMT)

CONGRATS!!!!! Great triumph by the Windies.......T20 fits the natural Carribean flair, so it is not a surprise that they are good at this format. Also many writers say that this is the first major trophy triumph for the Windies since 1979, everyone seems to have forgotten the Champions Trophy victory in England few years ago (I believe the last pair took the Windies home over England)

Posted by Surajdon9 on (October 8, 2012, 3:40 GMT)

You beauty Marlon................

Posted by bilalifyful on (October 8, 2012, 3:34 GMT)

Many many congrats WIndies, loved the celebrations. Well deserved and well fought. A fan from Pakistan

Posted by RKK07 on (October 8, 2012, 3:23 GMT)

Well down Samuels... Great job...

Posted by ultimatewarrior on (October 8, 2012, 2:57 GMT)

Behind every successful cricketer in World Cup T20 there are his good performances in IPL....

Posted by Erebus26 on (October 8, 2012, 2:51 GMT)

A fitting reward for a nice guy and a hugely talented cricketer. You can tell Samuels is focused and eager to make up for lost time. He's one of my favourite cricketers and I've enjoyed watching him this year.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 2:49 GMT)

I would love a West Indian test batting line up with Brendan Nash and Gayle opening and Samuel coming in at 3 and Chanderpaul at 4.

T20 is good, but the West Indies must become more competitive on the Text circuit

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 2:31 GMT)

We all knew 'tuts' was talented & special from day 1 but for a variety of reasons he could not step up to the level we knew he was capable of. And when he was coming good against South Africa back in 07/ 08 the controversy with the fixing scandal, the problems with his bowling action as well as the various attitude problems halted his progress for a long 2 years. But to his credit & probably the supportive family and persons around him he has learnt from his mistakes & put in the hard work to come back better than ever. He has been having a splendid come back & even though there is still a lot more that he has left to do to get to the pinnacle where he belongs\, It has truly been a pleasure to see Marlon coming back from the lowest point in his career. All the best to you Marlon, continue making ur career 'slap weh' :) ps. mayb u can try to reach out to ur countryman Xavier Marshall who has also fallen along the way despite tremendous talent.

Posted by DWO1 on (October 8, 2012, 1:19 GMT)

Marlon Samuel CONGRATULATIONS to you and members of the West Indies team and management. This was long over due and quite deserving. At one time during your demise I too was angry with you. As human we need to realize that humans will like or dislike you for simplicity. What you need to do is keep your ears to the ground and roll with the punches !

Posted by Meety on (October 8, 2012, 0:44 GMT)

Nice bit of redemption for Samuels!

Abhishek PurohitClose