|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Games||Mobile|
June 30, 2012
News : Mohnish Mishra returns in style after suspension
News : TV sting alleges corruption among umpires
Aakash Chopra : Wanted: education for players on ethics
News : 'I have not got justice' - Srivastava
News : Full text of BCCI release announcing the bans
News : IPL corruption probe on sting allegations complete
Features : The five banned players
News : IPL council suspends five players
Audio/Video: 'A very strong statement made by the BCCI'
Five Indian domestic players facing allegations of corruption have been banned by the BCCI's disciplinary committee. The BCCI announced the penalties after studying a report on the allegations, which had arisen in May after an India TV sting and alluded to the five being involved in match-fixing and negotiating for extra - and illegal - pay.
The harshest punishment was dealt to Madhya Pradesh fast bowler TP Sudhindra, who was handed a life ban after being found guilty of "receiving a consideration to spot-fix" in a domestic game. Sudhindra was the leading wicket-taker in the 2011-12 Ranji Trophy.
Uttar Pradesh fast bowler Shalabh Srivastava will be out of the game for five years after the committee deemed him guilty of agreeing, and negotiating terms, to fix a match though no fixing eventually took place.
Three other players were given one-year bans for bringing the game into disrepute through "loose talk and unsubstantiated bragging": Madhya Pradesh batsman Mohnish Mishra, Goa offspinner Amit Yadav and Himachal Pradesh allrounder Abhinav Bali. The punishments take effect from May 15, the date on which the IPL governing council suspended them.
The report had been compiled by Ravi Sawani, head of the BCCI's new anti-corruption unit, after India TV's sting. Sawani spoke to all five players before submitting his report to the BCCI disciplinary committee - which comprises BCCI president N Srinivasan, BCCI vice-presidents Arun Jaitley and Niranjan Shah - on June 9.
The committee which met in Mumbai on Saturday said neither Sudhindra nor Mishra would be entitled to the monthly gratis, benevolent fund, benefit match or any other facility, nor could hold any position in any cricket association affiliated to the BCCI for the period of their bans. Sudhindra becomes the third Indian player to be banned for life, after Mohammad Azharuddin (found guilty of match-fixing) and Ajay Sharma (found guilty of having links with bookies). The BCCI release that announced the bans did not make any mention of increased or illegal IPL pay.
India TV, in mid-May, had showed footage of a player bowling a big no-ball in a limited-overs match and played a recording of a phone conversation that it said was of a current IPL player negotiating a fee for bowling a no-ball. It also had at least three players on camera allegedly seeking more lucrative IPL deals - including extra money that would have violated their IPL contracts - with other league franchises through an undercover reporter posing as a sports agent.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.