Ireland news March 26, 2010

Joyce ponders return to Ireland

Cricinfo staff

Ed Joyce, the former England and Ireland batsman, is mulling a return to Irish cricket at the World Cup next year, but will need a special dispensation from the ICC in order to feature in Ireland's campaign at the tournament.

Joyce's last appearance for England was at the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean, in a Super Eight match against Sri Lanka on April 4. ICC regulations call for a four-year gap between playing for different national sides, and with next year's World Cup starting on February 19 Joyce will not have completed the mandatory period when the competition begins.

In 'exceptional circumstances', exemptions can be granted, however, and Ireland are hoping that the ICC can be convinced that with four years between World Cups, the two-month deficit in Joyce's qualification period can be wavered.

"I spoke to Joyce last year and at the time he was getting so many runs that there was a chance of him coming back into the English team," coach Phil Simmons told the Irish Daily Mail. "I'm very surprised he hasn't been included in any of the teams so far after the season he had. So you never know. Maybe the question is coming. But it can only be part of our planning when we know that he can be involved."

Joyce had a successful first season at Sussex last year following his move from Middlesex, scoring 945 first-class runs, including three hundreds, at an average of 41.08. However, his real success was in List A cricket, where he scored 941 runs at an average of 58.81 including another three hundreds.

His input was pivotal in Sussex winning the Twenty20 Cup and NatWest Pro40, as well as reaching a Lord's final in the Friends Provident Trophy. His success was rewarded by his being selected for England's 30-man squad for the 2009 ICC Champions Trophy, although he was not included in the final touring party.

Simmons also suggested the possibility that Kyle McCallan, who announced his retirement from international cricket last year, might be coaxed back for the World Cup. McCallan, who is Ireland's most-capped cricketer, playing 226 times and captaining on a record 54 occasions, quit in order to focus on his teaching career and to spend more time with his family, and in particular his seriously ill father.

"The situation with Kyle is still ongoing," explained Simmons. "Kyle's dad is better but that's still a big thing in his life, and we know how close Kyle is to his father. So I didn't think it right, but World Cup 2011 is a long way away and you never know."

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • dummy4fb on March 31, 2010, 7:27 GMT

    Its a disgrace really that he can't just go straight back.

  • MDean on March 28, 2010, 17:53 GMT

    Thanks to D-Train for the clarification. One law for the rich . . . .

  • _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on March 28, 2010, 17:09 GMT

    Well said guys! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Sportsscientist has made a good suggestion. I "thought" ICC's goal was to expand the game to other nations, it seems that they should have been more specific and state their goal is to expand the game to nations which they think can make them money *cough* USA *cough*.I don't see why the rule is that players can switch from assoc. teams more quickly rather than the other way around, how is that aiding the weaker teams? Rob from the poor and give to the rich? All we see is 1-2 quality players from assoc. teams, bring their teams to qualification of a tourney, get noticed and then bail out b-4 the tourney even starts! What crap is that? What next? Afghan cricketers playing for Pakistan? Thank goodness the Pak team for t-20 world cup is already announced.

  • Sportsscientist on March 27, 2010, 22:09 GMT

    why should ed joyce need special dispensation. its ok for scottish and irish players who play county cricket to be taken by england immediately. if they only play T20 or ODI's and don't become test regulars....why should they have to wait years to play for ireland. ireland will never progress as a cricketing nation if their best players can get taken away like that. it wouldn't even be so bad if ed joyce was a regular test least then he would have moved up a level. but call up people in a "squad" and give them some ODI/T20 squads.....and leave them discarded. maybe their should be some sort of rule whereby unless you play a set number of test matches, the associate nation should be able to pick up straight away. this would mean england would have to think before they pick other uk based players.

  • dummy4fb on March 27, 2010, 15:31 GMT

    Come back.Joyce. You will only get picked for the 20/20 or 50 over matches anyway as England don't value you. Come and push Ireland to the next level and you will be remembered for future generations. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1Welcome back Ed.

  • dummy4fb on March 27, 2010, 15:17 GMT

    Joyce was wrongly discarded from the England side in the first place, and treated terribly. This is where the ICC needs to sort out a ruling, as Eoin Morgan was also in real danger of being left in the International wilderness at one point.

    Four years is a stupid amount of time, Gavin Hamilton only played 1 Test for England (without scoring a run) and had to wait that long to play for Scotland. It's ridiculous.

  • cricfan55187723 on March 27, 2010, 5:06 GMT

    Just to clarify the reason why Joyce and Morgan were allowed to go straight into the England team is because Ireland is an associate nation which means Irish players don't have to wait 4 years in order to be eligable to play for a full-ranked nation.

    This is also the reason why Dirk Nannes was able to play for Australia right after playing a couple of T20s for Netherlands

  • dummy4fb on March 27, 2010, 2:29 GMT

    Good news for Ireland. I don't know why Joyce isn't allowed to play for Ireland anyway. Four years is far too long, especially given it took one month for Morgan to switch from Ireland to England...

  • randommagician on March 27, 2010, 1:59 GMT

    I personally think Joyce should be around the England one-day team especially after last season's performances, but he would be justified to choose to play for Ireland again if he thinks he's not going to get picked.

    And @Darren Cook, this must be the hundredth time but there are not 3 South Africans in the England team, I assume you are referring to Strauss, Pietersen and Trott, if so yes they were born in SA but they all have 1 English parent (if you are referring to Kieswetter, his mother is Scottish.) Can we please put this issue to bed.

  • dananiki on March 27, 2010, 0:41 GMT

    Hope he is allowed to play. England have wasted him. But then again England have a history of picking "overseas" players and discarding them. Dougie Brown, Martin McCague, Jason Galllian, Ed Joyce, Ben and Adam Hollioake and Gavin Hamilton who they crucified!!!Hope they do not do the same thing to Eoin Morgan. Good luck to you Ed. Saw your 100 at the SCG and could not bellieve you were dropped so quickly after

  • No featured comments at the moment.