Interviews InterviewsRSS FeedFeeds

'You learn more in defeat than in victory'

On the occasion of his 100th Test, Andrew Strauss looks back on his journey, and at the tough times when even playing international cricket seemed inconceivable

Interview by George Dobell

August 15, 2012

Debutant Andrew Strauss gets his Test cap from Michael Vaughan, England v New Zealand, 1st Test, Lord's 1st day, May 20, 2004
Strauss gets his Test cap from Michael Vaughan at Lord's, 2004 © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Andrew Strauss | Andy Flower
Series/Tournaments: South Africa tour of England
Teams: England

May 1999
Taking the step up

The year before, I was really questioning whether I was going to make it. I'd started at Middlesex in 1997 and was immediately given a rude awakening. I soon realised I was miles away from the standard required to be a professional cricketer. In 1998 I worked much harder and things started to go a bit better. I had become more professional and woken up to what being professional meant. I made my first-class debut at the end of the 1998 season and I scored a few runs. So, by 1999, I was very confident I could make a career out of cricket, but I had no idea how far I could go in the game. I was just trying to establish myself in the Middlesex first team. I was still on the periphery at that stage, but I was highly motivated and I had learned my lessons from a time as a student joker when I was just playing at the idea of being a professional cricketer.

I was very fortunate to be one of the early recipients of the MCCU scheme while I was at Durham University. The centre of excellence at Durham was a big step forward and had a massive impact on me. Graeme Fowler, who was the coach there, transformed a talented but drunken bunch of students into aspiring young professionals, with training programmes, developmental plans and access to sports psychologists. Our eyes were opened to what we needed to do, and it was a huge help to me.

May 2002
Promotion and a role model

Justin Langer was very important early in my career. He was a great example. He was playing for Australia at the time, but he was at Middlesex, scoring runs every week. And he was training hard. He was doing things that the majority of players weren't doing. That was the key thing I took from him: I realised that if I wanted to play for England, I couldn't just do what everyone else was doing. I wasn't going to get better than them that way. I had to do more. I had to dig deeper, work harder and challenge myself more.

I was fortunate that I was made captain, too. That gave me the extra impetus to lead by example and push myself harder. I started to score runs more consistently as a result of that. I'm not sure whose decision it was to make me captain. John Emburey was Middlesex coach at the time. There were a couple of other senior players that might have been given the job: Paul Weekes was one; Phil Tufnell was another, though I suppose he was an unlikely captain. Anyway, Angus Fraser retired suddenly just a few weeks into the season and, as vice-captain, I was given the job. It forced me to grow up very quickly. I was only 24. I had no idea of all the demands that came with the job. I had no training in how to manage other players, how to deal with committees or anything like that, so I had to learn very quickly.

Andrew Strauss cuts on his way to 177, New Zealand v England, 3rd Test, Napier, 3rd day, March 24, 2008
The Napier innings, in 2008, that turned things around © Getty Images

May 2007
England humbled 5-0 in the Ashes and then eliminated early from the World Cup

That was a horrendous winter. We went to Australia full of enthusiasm and anticipation of what we thought would be a great series. We fell flat on our faces in Australia against a fantastic side. And then we never got going in the World Cup. It was devastating collectively and individually. I didn't play well and I was dropped from the ODI team for the first time during the World Cup. The whole experience really knocked the wind out of my sails.

Looking back, though, I'm convinced you learn more in defeat than in victory. And I'm sure that the seeds of our success in Australia in 2010-11 were sown in 2006-07. The things we did wrong helped us to approach things much better a second time around. As a batsman, it gives you great confidence to come through such an episode. I suppose nearly all players have had a spell like that. You either disappear back into obscurity or you find a way to deal with it. Once you have come through it, you know you can deal with it should it come again.

March 2008
A career-saving century in Napier

I was in the last-chance saloon, wasn't I? I had been dropped from the side for the Sri Lanka tour, and, having been brought back, I hadn't scored many runs. I was fortunate, really: I came in to bat for the final innings of the final Test against New Zealand. The wicket was flat and I was able to concentrate hard. I scored a century. It concentrates the mind when you know your place is in jeopardy. There was no way that I was going to be caught at extra cover in that innings. There was nothing carefree or relaxed about that innings. I just battled.

I never really questioned my ability to play at that level. What people don't appreciate is the mental journey you go on as an England player. When you start you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. But then the pendulum swings, the expectations grow and you demand more of yourself. You are always faced with the best players in the world, too, and mentally things do grow harder the longer you play. I was stuck in a rut and I had to fight my way out of it.

January 2011
England retain the Ashes in Australia
One of my great ambitions was always to go to Australia and win. So to achieve that, and to achieve that in such an emphatic fashion, was very special. I honestly felt very proud and fortunate to be part of such an outstanding group of cricketers. On the back of that Ashes victory, I felt we had the opportunity to go and create something special. We're a little way down the line now and there is a lot still to do, but I feel we're still progressing.

Our coach, Andy Flower, deserves a huge amount of credit. He has been instrumental in everything we've done. He has challenged the players, he has broken down the methodology of how we do things in the England set-up, and he has had an incredible drive and ambition to take the team somewhere new and exciting. He has great respect from all the players and it has been a pleasure to work with him as captain.

We didn't start in the best of circumstances. [It was the tour to the Caribbean in 2009, just after the previous coach-captain pair of Peter Moores and Kevin Pietersen had been fired.] But, in a way, it was helpful. Everyone wanted to move in a fresh direction, and after one game together [the Test in Jamaica where England were bowed out for 51 in their second innings] there was an acceptance of where we were and where we needed to go.

James Anderson, Matt Prior, Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook with the replica Ashes urn, Australia v England, 5th Test, Sydney, 5th day, January 7, 2011
Ashes glory, four years after the 5-0 humiliation © PA Photos

Andy is so valuable to us. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity at some stage for him to take a bit of a break. Of course, he would benefit from a rest as much as any of the players. But he is very much present in everything and he wants to be present in everything as much as possible. He still has a lot of energy and a lot of drive and ambition. I'm sure he will be around for a good few years yet.

The present day
The next 12 or 18 months are probably a defining period for us. We've done exceptionally well to get to No. 1 and the next period will determine how good we really are. I'm excited about it. It's just the sort of challenge - or the series of challenges - we need as a group. Our versatility will be tested. We are going to be tested in different conditions by the best cricketers in the world. And that's exactly what you want as an international cricketer. You want to be tested by the best in conditions that stretch you. I have faith in the group of players we have that we can come through all those tests and emerge on top.

The guys have achieved a lot. I don't take the credit for our improvement. The players have worked incredibly hard and I'm very proud of them. They have bought into everything that Andy Flower and I have tried to instil in the team and they have consistently performed under pressure. I'm very proud of the cricketers we have and I feel we're in a good place. We have further to go, but we are heading in the right direction.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

Investec, the specialist bank and asset manager, is the title sponsor of Test Match cricket in England. Visit the Investec Cricket Zone for player analysis, stats, Test match info and games

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by Sinhaya on (August 16, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

Come on Strauss you are a great captain and planner. Good luck England to rock in the 3rd test at Lords.

Posted by   on (August 16, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

well both saffer and english test captains are born in Johannesburg, Transvaal, South Africa

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (August 16, 2012, 10:54 GMT)

@JG2704, What you really must understand is that @ Cpt.Meanster cannot get over the WHITEWASHING that England inflicted on India recently. Now there's no argument over the fact that England are better than India, the truth gets washed away, whitewashed away. )

Posted by JG2704 on (August 16, 2012, 9:03 GMT)

@Cpt.Meanster on (August 16 2012, 03:51 AM GMT) So you're unhappy about some bad comms from some Eng fans but cool with the multitude of ugly comms which we constantly get on here by your fellow Indian fans? If you're referring to Deep_Point on (August 16 2012, 01:03 AM GMT) then maybe look at what he is responding to and take up issue with them , but of course that isn't going to happen is it?

Posted by JG2704 on (August 16, 2012, 9:03 GMT)

@Shan156 on (August 16 2012, 02:02 AM GMT) Although this has been a problem for years I am really peeved with our selectors for playing 6/1/4 when we need to win this game so in that respect I feel zero sympathy for Strauss/Flower even if I do re KP issues . As others have put Woakes would have made a very decent number 7 and seems to be scoring as/more consistently than JB and in a higher league and you get his bowling too. I'd rather see us lose this test going all out for the win by not scoring enough runs - which as we all know 6 batsmen has not been a safety net in that regard anyway - than draw because we've not taken enough wickets quick enough.

Posted by sachin_vvsfan on (August 16, 2012, 6:35 GMT)

Has anybody noticed ? He has more hair now in the first picture :) @RandyOz what do you then say about Mark waugh who has same average? .i liked watching him it was a treat.Average alone wont reveal the batsmen class. Strauss may not be the flashy batsman but he is a good bloke and soft spoken guy.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (August 16, 2012, 3:51 GMT)

I feel bad for some of the ugly comments from non-English fans here. This is what causes friction here. In reply the English fans get equally outrageous. I don't believe in predictions but I DO believe in stats from the past. As an Indian supporter, I hope England have a good game at Lords'. I am not the one for mindless predictions about impending whitewashes or annihilations. Although, its true that England have had a poor record in the subcontinent and continue to struggle in low and slow conditions even at home. This is a definite weakness in their game. The only way England can rectify that in the future would be to put solid performances in India and other tours to Asia. So let's hope for an interesting series in India and cut back on the number of meaningless comments here.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (August 16, 2012, 3:38 GMT)

@Deep_Point: The fact that you have called "India", "Pakistan", "Sri Lanka", "Australia" etc as second/third rate nations goes to show you are not a worthy cricket follower yourself. Plus, some English supporters need to learn modesty and humility. Your media and press jumped up and down following England's rise and started to hurl stones whilst sitting inside a glass house. Now its all coming back to bite you. Your team is on the fringe of losing out on the no.1 ranking here so let's only talk about that. People can given their opinions and they are entitled to that. If England fans are so classy, then let them act like that. From what I have seen so far here on Cricinfo, it's anything but. Cricinfo please publish.

Posted by Greatest_Game on (August 16, 2012, 2:39 GMT)

Don't blame Strauss for the English media's obnoxious arrogance since Eng took the #1 ranking. Strauss did not subject us to a daily dose of drivel like "the world's best attack" or the now infamous "Welcome to Fortress England." Swann & Broad bought into that, but Strauss did not - hyperbole & bombast are not his style. As a South African I want England crushed at Lords- a bigger hiding than the Oval, than - I just have to say it - "the greatest defeat in the history of Cricket." But I do not want to see Strauss humiliated, or brought down. There are things about him that I don't like, BUT I have to respect his achievements both as a player & a captain. Hundreds of thousands of aspiring cricketers set out to achieve what he has, and very few did. It's really easy to sit at a computer and deride Strauss, but very difficult to achieve what he has. Give credit where it is due, and if you can't be fair & honest, keep your comments to yourself & stop embarrassing your fellow countrymen.

Posted by vrn59 on (August 16, 2012, 2:33 GMT)

This is a fantastic achievement by Andrew Strauss! Although he isn't likely to be anyone's favourite batsman, his all-round value to the team is unquestionable. His mature and astute captaincy compliments his understated personality perfectly and he has been a very good, albeit not legendary opening batsman for England. His partnership with Andy Flower has helped build up a golden era for English cricket, and he will go down as a true English legend! If only he was playing his 100th Test under more relaxed circumstances... (although the pressure might bring out the best in him).

Posted by Shan156 on (August 16, 2012, 2:02 GMT)

@JG2704, I feel the same way too. It must be a sad way to end for one of the decent blokes in the cricketing world but if it the way it must be, then so be it. I haven't given up on England for the final test too. I still feel we have it in them to pull off a surprise win. The win in Durban in our last tour didn't feature a swashbuckling innings from KP. It was built around Cook, Bell, Broad, and Swann who will definitely be playing here. These are professional cricketers and should not let the off field events affect them. If SA win/draw, they deserve the #1 crown and we will start fresh again under Cook. Unfortunately for Cook, India is a tough country to tour and England haven't won their in nearly 3 decades. But, we didn't win in Australia for 24 years before 2010-2011 either. So, let's see how it pans out. One thing looks certain - we probably have seen the last of KP in the England team.

Posted by Deep_Point on (August 16, 2012, 1:03 GMT)

Some truly pathetic and downright jealous comments on here from so-called cricket fans and supporters of second/third-rate cricket nations who aren't qualified to comment. Strauss is and has been a quality player for years, but putting that aside he is one of the best captains of all time, not just England. All of his contemporaries agree on that. To take a team from 6th to 1st in the world (past so-called greats like India, Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) does not happen by accident. As for the orgins of his "learn more from defeat than victory" he is paraphrasing Paul Brown I think, another man who knew how to lead a team.

Posted by me54321 on (August 15, 2012, 23:21 GMT)

It really is disappointing to see all these disrespectful comments about one of the finest men currently playing professional cricket, prior to his 100th test. Getting to 100 tests is indeed a fantastic achievement, and deserves congratulations. The tone of most of the comments here really reflects badly upon the people making them.

Posted by JG2704 on (August 15, 2012, 21:40 GMT)

Surprise to have so many good luck messages from our Indian friends still letting bygones be bygones. Not predictable in the slightest. I have to admit Strauss's 100th test does look booked to be a defeat but if they pull it out of the bag it will surely be more satisfying than any of his victories. Something tells me Cook will be taking the reins for the India tour. Good luck Strauss/England

Posted by allblue on (August 15, 2012, 21:06 GMT)

One factor in Strauss's career that is never mentioned is the loss to England of Trescothick. As an aggressive stroke-player he complemented Strauss perfectly, but when he retired prematurely to be replaced by Cook, England had two more attritional openers. The balance was wrong, so Strauss opened up his game to score more quickly and allow Cook to bat at his own pace. Playing a more expansive game against his natural instincts inevitably meant that his average dropped. But that is the mark of Strauss, a selfless team man, doing what was best for the team regardless of self-interest. Even so, the Cook/Strauss partnership is not too shabby - the third highest aggregate for openers (4,677), and the fifth highest between any pair (5,219) in the history of the game. Add in 24 wins as captain and you have an England legend, and unlike some of our sporting superstars, a proper person to boot.

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (August 15, 2012, 20:46 GMT)

two amusing things here; 1, the notion of Tufnell as captain, rather than Strauss. 2, "we are heading in the right direction": 5 losses and only three wins in ten tests in the year since becoming no.1 strongly suggests England are heading in the wrong direction

Posted by thebrotherswaugh on (August 15, 2012, 20:13 GMT)

Going by the headline for this article, ENG will be the most over-educated mob in world cricket, by a country mile, in about 12-months time. 2-0 loss to SA, 3-0 loss to IND away (I'm feeling generous, you might get away with one 'honourable' draw), two drawn series that will be 'kick-down drag-out' affairs vs. NZ away then home, culminating in an absolute towelling by the resurgent AUS side by a margin of at least 3-0 next June/July. That will pretty much see the demise of ENG cricket for another 10-years or so (best case scenario), as there is an utter lack of cricketing talent at the grass roots level in ENG. As for Straussy, he'll probably retire after all those floggings - you can't blame him. Not much he can do, a slightly above-average batsmen at best, painful to watch, about as entertaining as his partner-in-crime, a total yawnfest watching those two go about their business; and as a captain, overly defensive and negative with a total lack of intuition & imagination. RIP ENG.

Posted by PPD123 on (August 15, 2012, 20:04 GMT)

Eng are going to have some tough times ahead.... the 3rd test vs SA is going to really test them (i wud predict SA winning the test) especially now that they have a huge hole in the middle order with pietersen out of it. They would also be heavily challenged when they arrive in India.... India is going to prepare spinning tracks (read rank turners) and eng will be thoroughly tested... Given what Eng dished out when India toured, I doubt if they will get sleeping beauties to bat on.... But this Eng side is good (not great yet) much better than what we have seen thru the 90s and 00s.... I expect a great contest in India this time...

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (August 15, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

The vanquisher of Australia and the Whitewasher of India, Strauss has left a great deal of historic success in his wake, along with the odd jealous fan from oppositions teams wringed dry by England. Jealousy from others proves your success Straussy, take a long bow you Ashes champion.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (August 15, 2012, 18:27 GMT)

It would be an embarrassment for England should they lose their ranking at home, and that too in Lords', the so called 'HOME' of cricket. I feel bad for England, and an uncontrollable feeling of sympathy towards Andrew Strauss. Like it or not, he lead England to the top, even if it would last only an year. But the truth is always bitter. England are not true no.1s and SA have exploited that weakness. At the same time, the 'C' tag hangs high over SA heads like an executioner's axe. So there are 2 battles within one game. Hope the game turns out good and competitive. All the best to both teams.

Posted by xylo on (August 15, 2012, 17:28 GMT)

More than England's victory in Australia against a weakened Australia side, I loved the Ashes that England won in England in a pulsating series. That was against the mighty Aussies.

Posted by dicky_boy on (August 15, 2012, 17:15 GMT)

WELL @158 NOTOUT, WE ARE BITTER BECAUSE ENGLAND USES IMPORTS FOR ITS TEAM, MORE THAN 60 PERCENT OF IT AND WORSE THEY ARE ITS BEST PLAYERS, EVEN SA USES IMRAN TAHIR, STILL ENG WINS ONLY IN FAST WICKETS IMAGINE IF INDIA IMPORTS A COUPLE OF BOWLERS LIKE STEYN AND MORKEL, WE WILL BE UNBEATABLE

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (August 15, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

good job Strauss , now it's time to score big 100 in your 100th test and save #1 spot.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 17:03 GMT)

@Anand Singh. Are you meaning that they should be dished out more defeats to help in their learning process?

Posted by SnowSnake on (August 15, 2012, 16:56 GMT)

While I want England to win the 3rd test, it would be shear embarrassment for England to lose in England. At least India lost its #1 ranking in away games. If England loses its #1 ranking at home then that would be the worst outcome! Since England achieved its #1 status, its away record was not good to begin with and now losing its ranking at home would be very bad. 3rd test is a must win for England!

Posted by Rahulbose on (August 15, 2012, 16:50 GMT)

A team captain who led his team to the top test ranking. He is playing his 100th test match and all the media talk so far has been about an ungrateful, egomaniac making walkout threats and silly youtube videos. I feel sorry for Strauss, the KP sideshow has soured what should have been a great celebration for him.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 16:43 GMT)

3rd test is going to be brilliant, but I really do not hold out much hope for this English side, so some more life lessons for Straussy. Other than that, great achievement, but enjoy the journey down hill :)

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

amazing the negativity here, he leads England to no1 and this is failure, you people are on a different planet!

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

i sincerely hope such learning through defeat continues for England

Posted by StatisticsRocks on (August 15, 2012, 16:00 GMT)

An average player and opening batsmen but a good human being and a very level headed guy. I have not seen him gloat in success nor cry in defeat.

Posted by 158notout on (August 15, 2012, 15:59 GMT)

Ha, i love it, comments on every article from bitter Aus and Ind fans who have seen their teams be totally annihilated by Andrew Strauss and his England team. Then you are silly enough to come on here and claim he is average or whatever. What does that make your teams then? And what could he learn from Dhoni? Not a whole lot given Indias recent test record. Or maybe this, captain a side who play 90% of their tests at home!!

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:55 GMT)

good batsman, decent captain ... nice guy :)

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:52 GMT)

Average batsman, good captain. He has controlled his bowling attack quite effectively over the last few years. He has to be commended for that. He is also a good character and an intelligent person. The main criticism is the lack of aggression. Anyway, Congratulations Mr Strauss.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:25 GMT)

@randyOZ : I'm not sure i entirely agree with you. true, an opener who's played 100 tests ought to have a higher average. But there are several good, classy, players who have an average in the early-mid 40s, eg- michael vaughan, mark waugh, vvs laxman. i could go on. there's more to a player than just his average.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:05 GMT)

"Strauss a very average player and a captain". Are you serious?? He hasn't been among runs consistently for some time, but calling him an average captain is mind-boggling. He has had a big hand in taking England to the top, a task whose groundwork had been laid by Nasser Hussain. Strauss has been one of the best leaders out there respected by most.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:01 GMT)

Hmmm. No-one who plays 100 tests and averages 40 can be not given credit. Likeiwse, although England seem to be having a poor patch at the moment, from the Windies tour onwards, under Flower and Strauss England have had a concerted purple patch and run which has seen them win the Ashes home and away and rise to number 1 in the world.

As a batsman one must also remember that Strauss contributed massively to the 2005 ashes, still the defining moment for the England team in the 21st Century, and took good catches at slip to remove key batsmen. As an opening batsmen Strauss has contended with the best bowlers in the world with the new ball in their hand and a rough 1 in 5 ratio for test hundreds is a fair return. I would say that Strauss would have averaged a lot higher had he not at times been overly positive against spin and short pitched bowling, sometimes getting out hooking or sweeping when a more cautious approach could have been taken.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 15:00 GMT)

@Venkat_Super_11. I am sure, the machinations you are referring to are the tactics of the headstrong coach. Starussy, being a gentle character, seems unable to do anything about it. In that respect, he reminds me of our Indian PM.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 14:55 GMT)

"RandyOz"and "jonesy2" sound so similar, one wonders whether they are one and the same person. Couldn't help noticing their common fetish / fobia about England's "empty cupboard" ! I am sure that they are different persons, just joking about the similarity. In terms of England's import bashing, I am also part of that club. Simple dislike of teams trying to knock over other teams using borrowed muscle! In my case it is even worse, since I used to admire English teams of yore, when it used to consist of good cricketers, gentlemen, and used to win through their own boys! Intensely disliked the bodyline series, but England salvaged their image later,through great guys like Peter May, Colin Cowdry and their kind. They even had fiery opening bowlers like Truman & Statham, who were gentlemen! Moreover, they were all "Englishmen", and not hired mercenaries.

Posted by BravoBravo on (August 15, 2012, 14:44 GMT)

If there is learning process behind the defeats, then Mr. Strauss must have learnt a lot in the defeats inflicted upon ENG by PAK and SA. Mr. Strauss, win the forthcoming test against SA, and prove that you really learnt something, do it now or keep your mouth zipped forever.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 14:39 GMT)

Strauss is up for some life long learning :p

Posted by Brenton1 on (August 15, 2012, 14:22 GMT)

If you learn more in defeat then Stauss had better prepare for the lesson of his life come the 3rd test.

Posted by N.P.SinghHero on (August 15, 2012, 14:07 GMT)

i salute strauss as a hard workman in cricket he is not a natural syroke player he make a place for him in world cricket

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 14:06 GMT)

Strauss has done a magnificent job as captain and I don't understand why so many people are so derogatory of him. He's done something that nobody has done in the last 30 or so years and led an England team to be the #1 test team in the world, however briefly it may prove to be the case. He commands the respect of his teammates, the coaching staff and opposition. Also, to answer RandyOz: Stewart, Atherton and Vaughan both had averages lower than Strauss' as test opening batsmen/captains, in fact his average is higher than any of Englands last four permanent captains. He may occasionally be a touch conservative in his tactics, but I believe that he's the man for the jab at this moment in time.

Posted by maddy20 on (August 15, 2012, 13:59 GMT)

If you do learn so much from your losses then keep touring Dubai, SL or India. Here's hoping you will lose ..err.. learn a lot more!

Posted by Selassie-I on (August 15, 2012, 13:26 GMT)

Nice interview and well done Straussy, a true gentleman and someone to be looked up to.. he's right too; the next 18 months will decide if it was a flash in the pan or if it is a really good team (not great, but good) this time will define his legacy. Starting tomorrow.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (August 15, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

@ballonbat. Would you be thinking of the lessons learned by the Indian team after they'd been humiliated in England? They certainly showed what they'd learned in Australia - precisely nothing!

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

whats the latest about KP....is he still upset/forgiven his twitter rivals/is he retiring/is he in T20 squad..thats what we want to hear

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 13:03 GMT)

im wilth FIPL, why leaving put the pak test series ......

Posted by Hira1 on (August 15, 2012, 12:42 GMT)

strauss a very average player and a captain, might 100 test will be his last match as well....who cares!

Posted by jonesy2 on (August 15, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

lucky to still be playing but i guess englands cupboard is bare as they say. i dont mind strauss, pretty diplomatic and witheld. well done to him. "'You learn more in defeat than in victory" well he must have learnt a hell of a lot then

Posted by kensohatter on (August 15, 2012, 12:28 GMT)

Epic Milestone well done Andrew Strauss. Im not suprised that Justin Langer showed him what it is to fight your way into a national team as no one is world cricket has ever had more fight that Langer. That guy just kept getting back off the mat for another run at the baggy green and he always wore it with such pride... as an aussie whenever he stood at the crease he made your heart glow. The pride the english must feel when Straussy digs in must be similiar and for that he has my respect. Good luck in the third test

Posted by RandyOZ on (August 15, 2012, 12:24 GMT)

Strauss must be a good learner then, as he only knows one way and that's failure. An average of 41 as a test opening batsmen/captain. Has there been any worse? I think not.

Posted by BoonBoom on (August 15, 2012, 12:14 GMT)

If this is the criteria Mr Strauss... then just continue accepting defeats after defeats and you will soon become a real genius by learning so much!!

Posted by disco_bob on (August 15, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

Is this article in anticipation of a third English cross on Smith's Albatross.

Posted by JBerger on (August 15, 2012, 12:00 GMT)

It's a funny world, quite so often a mediocre get too damn far while the brilliant gets unlucky.

Posted by Venkat_Super_11 on (August 15, 2012, 11:51 GMT)

Strauss is a very good player and a very good individual but not an able leader. He still suffers from old divide and rule tactics which is neither good for him as a captain nor for the team. Andy with the same mentality matches him and that's it. A good coach needs to learn from Kirsten and a good captain needs to learn from Dhoni or Smith. Anyway, good luck with your 100th test and don't worry about being defeated, Andy has already prepared his post-match press conference which will all blame Pietersen for their distraction and thence, the holy defeat. Keep going, Strauss. I am sure you will soon learn how a captain MUST NOT behave, if not, how he should behave.

Posted by cheguramana on (August 15, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

Dear Mr Andrew Strauss

I am greatly encouraged by your sporting attitude, which is commendable. I see from the headline that you attach a great deal of value to your losses. I sincerely hope you will find many more learning opportunities when you tour India later in the year.

Sincerely,

A cricket fan.

Posted by creekeetman on (August 15, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

should've been a scholar after the most recent encounter with pak.

Posted by mthi4life on (August 15, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

Lords will be another lesson learned by Strauss.But He has been a good captain for England,If KP did not go, he would have to resign after the Lords test.

Posted by   on (August 15, 2012, 11:24 GMT)

Strauss, you have been the best test captain since Vaughan retired, you haven't been a prima donna, have upheld the finest traditions of sportsmanship that our sport has (or used to have). Win or lose in the next week, you took England to number one in the world. You are a true champion.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (August 15, 2012, 11:24 GMT)

The fact that this guy got to play 100 Tests just goes to prove how Bad and shallow the talent in England is! Haha! I mean mediocre guys like strauss who barely average 41 with the bat(That figure is boosted by some wasteful tons against Hapless WI bowling-have a look on Statsguru) would not be even considered for selections in other nations but then again-England has always produced poor to average players.

Posted by TruthBites on (August 15, 2012, 11:09 GMT)

Remarkable achievement. Not many cricketers go on to play 100 tests.

Posted by rickyvoncanterbury on (August 15, 2012, 11:02 GMT)

'You learn more in defeat than in victory' I never heard Clive Llyod or Steve Waugh say that.

Posted by ballonbat on (August 15, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

Welll, Andrew Strauss, congratulations on this journey you've taken and some great performances along the way. Now prepare for some more of those lessons one learns best in defeat.

Posted by FIPL on (August 15, 2012, 10:53 GMT)

No mentioning of disgrace defeat in UAE by Pakisatn.... Mr Strauss

Posted by warneneverchuck on (August 15, 2012, 10:39 GMT)

I think u will learn lot then in 3rd test and upcoming Indian tour

FeedbackTop
George DobellClose

The cricket tragic who bowled Bradman

Former Australian PM Bob Hawke loved cricket. And he once left the Don speechless with the force of his political convictions

'The worst thing about being a keeper is stinky hands'

Chris Read talks about how unprepared he was for Tests, and that slower ball from Chris Cairns

Everybody deserves a second chance?

Switch Hit: Mark Butcher joins our team to discuss the new England coaches, KP, and a potential England XI

England's Pietersen folly

Martin Crowe: Not getting rid of Kevin Pietersen after the texting saga in 2012 cost them greatly

Fizz, flight and loop

V Ramnarayan: Erapalli Prasanna was a masterful conjurer and perhaps the shrewdest of India's great spin quartet

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi

The world record that nearly wasn't

Twenty years ago this week, Brian Lara became Test cricket's highest scorer, but he almost didn't make it

'Sri Lankan fans embrace the team, not just icon players'

Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara go over their World T20 win, and feel grateful to have fans whose support remains unwavering in victory and defeat

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

The former Indian openers haven't been shining lately, but the IPL presents an opportunity for them to show their class