Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas Mark NicholasRSS FeedFeeds  | Archives
Former Hampshire batsman; host of Channel Nine's cricket coverage

Go well, Martin

New Zealand's greatest batsman will bring to his fight against disease the qualities he set store by in his fine cricket career

Mark Nicholas

October 18, 2012

Martin Crowe bats in a Texaco Trophy match, 1990
Crowe: speed and grace of footwork, perfect head position, set first to the bowler and then adjusted to the line of the ball Adrian Murrell / © Getty Images

I cannot help but think about Martin Crowe. He is a friend, and many thousands of miles away he suddenly lives in fear. Last week he had some tests and is now diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. Hardcore treatment is around the corner. Since picking up salmonella in Sri Lanka in 1984, illness has troubled him. A weak immune system has constantly tried but always failed to break a strong mind. I'm not backing it this time either.

Crowe is understandably shocked and yet defiantly chipper. He got eased aside at Sky TV New Zealand recently, where he had moved from producing the cricket coverage to the rugby, as is likely to part company soon. Bad year, then.

No worries, he is embracing the battle ahead with a certain zeal. It will be done, he says. And he has started work on a book that will make a few folk run for cover. Cricket needs a modern appraisal and he is as well positioned as anyone to give it.

Rather than linger on the self-pity, he speaks of a new life. A life with greater perspective. He is in love with some fabulous women: Lorraine, his breathtaking wife; Emma, his daughter; and mum Audrey. They are wrapped around him. His brother Jeff lives in Florida and scoots around the world in his work as an ICC match referee. He will play his part, as he always did - to support and encourage, never intrude. Theirs is a deep friendship, born of blood and the pursuit of unique achievement. Their spirits are as one.

Picture Crowe at the wicket: upright, orthodox and immensely strong. He is a bigger man than the symmetry and detail of his batting suggest is possible - a big man in a small man's game. Sideways on, chin tucked into the left shoulder, eyes level and narrowed, body steady. Think of the speed and grace of the footwork, remember the bat maker's name presented square to its opponent; the perfect head position set first to the bowler and then adjusted to the line of the ball. Drift back in time to the wide-brimmed sun hat, the neat and slim fit of the white clothes, with shirt collar turned to the sky and sleeves buttoned at the wrist. Then imagine, if you will, the mastery of the Crowe straight drive, the majesty in the cut stroke, the counter punch of the hook and pull shots that said so much for a nation.

I first met him in Oxford in 1981, when he was with the ground staff at Lord's and under Don Wilson's eager eye. We travelled back to London together after an MCC match and Crowe talked cricket with a passion and understanding given to few. He saw the short-form future even then, aged 20, and had the germ of Cricket Max - the baby he produced long before T20 hit the market - somewhere in his firmament.

England has played an important part in his life, both on tours and while with Somerset, where he first stood in for Viv Richards and then, amidst much rancour, replaced him. At first, during the May of 1984, he fought the loneliness and vulnerability of poor form with hysterical reaction. "I started crying," he once told me. "I wanted someone to hold me and I wanted to go home." This from a man with such gifts! Then he settled, responded and exploded with four consecutive hundreds in June before going on to make 2600 runs in all forms of the game and earn the love and respect of a county spoilt by the gladiatorial deeds of Sir Viv and Sir Ian. He brought new dimensions to the club, setting up the Young Nags to give the younger fellows a voice, and generally setting standards that were accessible and achievable.

The uncertainties in his character, the dark places or "traffic" as he calls it, stood in the way of greatness. These flaws, these insecurities, are impossible to note from the sideline, but sportsmen prey upon one another if a hint of them is betrayed. Thus he sank deeper into himself, appearing aloof to outsiders. In New Zealand, a place of just three million people, those who stand out from the crowd are not always appreciated. This tall-poppy syndrome confused him further. For Crowe, the contest was not always with an opponent but often with himself, which is why he is ready for this next chapter. It is just another in the circle of his life.

Imagine, if you will, the mastery of the Crowe straight drive, the majesty in the cut stroke, the counter punch of the hook and pull shots that said so much for a nation

I cannot pick his best innings - perhaps you can - though tongue-in-cheek mention should be made of 9 not out against West Indies in 33 for 5 to inch over the line and draw the series against the most powerful team that ever played the game. He talks fondly of the 83 in the first innings of that game, on a greentop. He was used to them, mind you, and gathered a couple of highly skilled and steet-smart hundreds against West Indies on those same tracks. From a technician's point of view, the 142 at Lord's in 1994 was about as good as it gets. For impact, the 188 in Brisbane nine years earlier in the famous first series win in Australia takes some beating. For the record books, Arjuna Ranatunga had him caught at the wicket for 299 in Wellington, a wide ball too, and though it sent him into an orbit of anger at the time, he quietly rather likes that only two men in history have made 299 in a Test match. The other is Don Bradman.

I favour an innings hidden away in the Oxfordshire countryside, at Wormsley, home of John Paul Getty's fascination for the game. Retired for almost two years and without having held a bat in hand during that time, or a net in preparation, Crowe walked to the wicket to open the innings for Getty's team in pursuit of 267 to beat the touring Australians. A full attack sans Shane Warne went after him, and of the first 16 balls delivered by Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie, Crowe failed to hit one. At No. 17 from McGrath, he rose to his toes and struck a wondrous back-foot drive that remains as vivid to this day as it was then. He made a hundred, of course. We would have won if the rest of us had not been such muppets. To a man the Australians came to our dressing room and raised a glass to the bloke with the knackered knee who could still bat with the gods.

He finished his Test career with 5444 runs at 45.36 per innings and with 17 hundreds. It niggles that he was picked too young, and put at the mercy of Dennis Lillee, who took him apart for no return. And it grates that he played on and on, with a knee that was held together by the surgeon's knife and a monstrous brace. Take a year off the start and a couple at the end and you probably have the true record of New Zealand's most outstanding batsman. Oh, and while on niggles and grates, the greatest irritation might be the World Cup of 1992, when New Zealand's brilliantly conceived campaign fell an iota short of a place in the final, after the captain's exceptional innings of 91 run out (not him, Mark Greatbatch, his runner), played pretty much on one leg, set Pakistan 263 to win. The wounded general was unable to mastermind his troops in the field. Pakistan scraped home and it sure hurt.

Crowe, or "Hogan" as friends know him (part Ben - whose swing he has analysed as studiously as Hogan himself may have done - but in the main from Hogan's Heroes, a long-running American TV comedy sitcom about a German POW camp housing US soldiers that was a schoolboy favourite) has a cellar worth visiting. Pinot noir abounds from vineyards such as Felton Road, Ata Rangi and Mount Difficulty. Down the track he plans to do the wine justice and win some more golf games. For now, it's doctors and diet, discipline and courage - of which there is an abundance. Go well, my friend.

Mark Nicholas, the former Hampshire captain, presents the cricket on Channel 9 in Australia and Channel 5 in the UK

RSS Feeds: Mark Nicholas

Posted by   on (October 21, 2012, 2:52 GMT)

Yes ,i will remember where i was when i heard the news of Martin and alas now Big tonyG as well .May you both win your battles .

Posted by amclean on (October 19, 2012, 16:37 GMT)

Excellent article Mark. To put Martin Crowe's achievements in perspective, he passed 4000 first class runs in a calender year with his last knock of 1987 at the MCG. I was a 12 years old at the time and it was a magical year to be a cricket fan as Crowe scored runs at will for Central Districts, Somerset and in the Test series against the West Indies at home and the against Australia away. He was the first player since Dennis Compton to record the feat and, to the best of my knowledge, it has not been matched since.

Posted by blackie on (October 19, 2012, 13:52 GMT)

I became a fan of cricket in the early 80's and heard the name Martin Crowe spoken as though he was something very special. i got to see his special-ness when the Kiwis played West indies around that time. Hadlee and Crowe stood manfully and faced the West Indies' steamroller of a side. Will always remember how he prevented my then-favourite batsman Desmond Haynes, from being the centre of batting attention. As classy as they come and at his best among the best, thats Martin Crowe.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 11:25 GMT)

Classic Nicholas ham. Lovely sentiments mind - all the best Mr Crowe

Posted by denwarlo70 on (October 19, 2012, 10:36 GMT)

I did not like him when he scored heavily against us Lankans but loved watching him score against all other Nations and as a human being my prayers for his recovery from whatever illness he is in. God Bless you Martin Crowe.

Posted by javed.agrawala on (October 19, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

Here's wishing him a speedy and full recovery from all admirers of his phenomenal skills in Pakistan.... even though he was more than a bit unkind to our bowlers (ha ha)! A wonderful batsman and a great joy to watch.

Posted by harshthakor on (October 19, 2012, 6:41 GMT)

In terms of pure talent Martin Crowe was in the Tendulkar or Lara class. Wasim Akram thought Crowe was more difficult to bowl to than Lara or Tendulkar.Posessed brilliant ability to improvise with a charasterictic elegance of his own.A great player of fast bowling as he proved in West Indies in 1985 when scoring 188 against Marshall,Garner and Holding.I can never forget his batting in the 1992 world cup where he topped the averages and run aggregate.

Let us all wish him a recovery.

Posted by ninjamaori77 on (October 19, 2012, 6:40 GMT)

I remember when he was making his comeback last year I was hoping he would be good enough to make it to back to the black caps.If he was fully fit, I have no doubt he could have pushed it close such was his class. One of NZs 2 greatest batsmen. Hope you pull through Martin.

Posted by Min2000 on (October 19, 2012, 2:45 GMT)

I remember watching Martin Crowe back in the 80s. Wow, what a player! Despite his injury woes he made batting look very easy. So much time to play his shots, so balanced, effortlessly elegant and yet powerful enough to take any attack apart if the mood struck him. Any young batsmen out there should check out some of his innings on youtube. You could do a lot worse than model your game on Crowe's flawless technique.

Posted by Natx on (October 19, 2012, 2:37 GMT)

@LiilianThomson - mate, you compounded our worries. I like the thousands of Martin's fans worldwide pray for him to recover quickly and lead a great life like others. I lost my mom to cancer 10 years ago and still couldn't forget the sickening time we as a family went through. For the family and friends it's a unbearable feeling seeing someone close going through it and it takes years to get out of it. With all the miracles happening, I still hope we could find a breakthrough to fight this killer disease. Folks, please donate to the cancer societies and research foundations near you and be positive that we will together find a way soon to fight this, without having to go through the pains of radiation or chemo.

Posted by LillianThomson on (October 19, 2012, 0:41 GMT)

A superb batsman. The way he played Wasim and Waqar 22 years ago in the series in which Chris Pringle admitted ball-tampering was amazing. But please, could people stop the references to "winning the battle" or a "cure": if you google "follicular lymphoma" even Wikipedia confirms that sadly it is incurable. So I wish Crowe as long a life as possible, with as good a quality of life as possible. But please, we must all avoid letting our affection for Martin Crowe create unrealistic expectations, because in the long run they will worsen everybody's distress.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 0:20 GMT)

I remember how great bastman & local hero Martin Crowe was when I lived in NZ in 80s and 90s. I wish you speedy recovery....

Posted by Canukiwi on (October 19, 2012, 0:16 GMT)

To the point raised in the article- if you remove the first 2 years of his career & his final year, when he was batting on one leg- years incidentally when he faced the Windies in the Caribbean & Australia- I think home & away- including Thommo & Lillee- leaving his career between 1984-94, Martin Crowe averaged in excess of 52 in test cricket. This was before the Future Tours program & the introduction of Bangladesh & Zim into international cricket..........& very few batsman averaged in excess of 50, Border, Richards & Miandad among the few.

In addition, Crowe was a majsetic batsman- he could bludgeon. he could caress. he could chase a total, or, defend all day. he was an artist in the true sense of the word.

Posted by kmister12 on (October 18, 2012, 21:32 GMT)

Martin is a top block, I remember last year when I was debuting for my clubs mens Prems side I was bloody nervous because I was only 15, I went out and faced 2 overs before lunch, and was shaking like crazy. So at the break Crowe came over and spoke to me. That day I got 99.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:08 GMT)

LEGEND! Watching his 100* against Aussie in the 1992 WC is what got me into cricket in a big way. Always had a massive aura about him on the field with that Duncan Fernley bat and DB Draught headband, shame he couldn't go on a little longer because he could bat better with a busted knee that all the current kiwi cricketers put together.

Posted by StevieS on (October 18, 2012, 15:46 GMT)

My school boy idle, I remember proudly holding my Duncan Fearnley and muttering to myself "Marshall to Crowe" after his 188 in Georgetown, I am sure thats not a omen as luckily Crowes cancer has a much better prognosis. Best of wishes Martin.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:04 GMT)

Martin Crowe - legend. Good luck "Hoge's" Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery mate.

Posted by reeja on (October 18, 2012, 15:04 GMT)

god bless u martin... always loved u as one of the greatest batsmen...

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 14:36 GMT)

A batsman of sublime skill who was responsible for the Kiwis punching above their weight in the 90s. Still remember a series in 1995 when the Kiwis toured India and he again with his dodgy knee led the Kiwis against Kumble, Srinath and co and there was a point when they were leading 2-1 in a 5 match ODi series. India won but barely and this man was responsible. There is grace, beauty, speed and authority even in defeat as he showed us then. Thanks for the memories Crowe. For a 10 year old watching the 1992 WC, Imran Khan must have held the trophy, but that tournament belonged to you. It was touted as the Cup for the Tendulkars, Laras and Waughs, but you stole their thunder. Get Well Soon

Posted by InsideHedge on (October 18, 2012, 14:03 GMT)

Pity that Botham, in his autobiography, mocked Crowe's contribution to Somerset cricket, all this because of his OTT love for Viv Richards. The Somerset dressing room was a much happier place with Crowe as the overseas player. Martin, you have fans all over the world, I don't think you're aware of the esteem that you're held in by cricket lovers. I'm sure you'll beat this illness, all our best wishes are with you.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 13:23 GMT)

Martin crowe I still remember your great batting in 1992 Wc and bad luck in the Semi fianl against pakistan when you were unfit and standing outside , I still remember you were standing alone till the end of the match. Throughout 1992 WC you played extremely well specially against Good length bowling of Wasim Akram no one can bat Wasim better than you . I wish you to get well soon and may God the Mighty save you from cancer effects Amin.

Posted by CricIndia208 on (October 18, 2012, 13:05 GMT)

Great player. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Posted by CamS71 on (October 18, 2012, 12:37 GMT)

Can remember bunking off school in Bath to go watch him score a brilliant ton for Somerset in the 80s. Generally vehmently disagree with skipping school, but when it was to witness greatness at work.....

Fabulous player. Best wisheds to him in this battle.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 11:57 GMT)

The day I left NZ some 20 years ago I walked past Martin at Auckland airport, to this day I regret not having said hello or shaken his hand to thank him for his efforts that for a while made the Black Caps a force to be reckoned with and how secure I felt when he and Andrew Jones (my personal favourite) were at the crease together. Wish you all the best Martin.

Posted by malepas on (October 18, 2012, 11:24 GMT)

Well written Mark and on MARTIN,,we wish you well and surely you will come out of this fighting as the fighter you have been all your life,,Now Martin Crowe as cricketer,,let me tell you guys,,that this man could Bat,,I'm a huge admirer of VIV and the only other person who come close to his footwork is Martin,,he was a complete batsman,,treat to watch,,and don't take my word for it,,ask some of the great fast bowlers like Imran,Wasim,Botham,Bob Wills,,they will tell you about this man,,a beautiful master craftsman on the crease and a brilliant cricketer all round,,,wish you very best Martin.

Posted by Er-.S.R.shankar on (October 18, 2012, 10:13 GMT)

It is a shocking news about a great cricketer. Here are the best wishes, prayers from one of his Indian admirers.As I read from news he has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. But encouragingly this type of cancer is certainly curable. I have an official colleague who had an attack of Lymphoma close to third degree in 2009 But after several rounds of Chemotherapy at renowned Cancer Institue Adyar, Chennai he got completely cured and last three years he is absolutely normal. I wish the KIwi giant reach out to the same hospital. I am sure he would emerge out cured Wherever you are treated, You have the case of Yuvaraj to take heart Martin Earnest prayers again for the peerless Newzeland batsman

Posted by wasim_007 on (October 18, 2012, 10:05 GMT)

Wish you a speedy recovery....Go Well...

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 10:04 GMT)

Martin Corwe's batting had everything: Grace, Authority, Style, Domination. My prayers are with him.

Posted by banglafan on (October 18, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

Crowe, we are with you in your fight.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

Alll the best martin crowe you were my favorite Cricketer in my childhood days Wishing u the same speedy recovery as yuvraj

Posted by Percy_Fender on (October 18, 2012, 5:26 GMT)

A beautiful and touching piece Mark on a true legend. May God be with Martin in these times and give his family the strength to get him back to where he belongs.

Posted by GasPipe on (October 18, 2012, 5:04 GMT)

Wonderful tribute. Mark Nicholas, you are a gifted, eloquent orator and writer, and I always enjoy the articles you write.

As for Martin Crowe - well, it was an absolute shock to hear of his illness. History is such a huge part of cricket, and every country has their immortals, and to hear one of them struck down in such a way is a shock, because you suddenly remember they are human and fallible. Because New Zealand is such a small country, we don't have many of these cricketing heroes, and to hear that one of our greatest is threatened with cancer is very sad. Because you feel if he dies, a large part of our history dies with him.

Get well Martin Crowe, I hope that your willpower and belief that saw you through many challenges in your career will see you through one of the greatest challenges yet. Get well for us, get well for New Zealand, but mostly get well for you, and your family and friends. You deserve more, and I hope you win this battle.

From a life-long Black Caps fan.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 4:52 GMT)

Sending prayers and lots of love and good energy to Martin Crowe. He will win this battle.

Posted by george204 on (October 18, 2012, 4:33 GMT)

Oh this is sad to hear. Go well indeed, Martin Crowe. Of all the players I've seen bat, the one I wish I had seen much much more of was Martin Crowe - what a magnificent player he was.

FeedbackTop
Mark NicholasClose
Mark Nicholas A prolific and stylish middle-order batsman for Hampshire, Mark Nicholas was unlucky never to have played for England, but after captaining his county to four major trophies he made his reputation as a presenter, commentator and columnist. Named the UK Sports Presenter of the Year in 2001 and 2005 by the Royal Television Society, he has commentated all over the world, from the World Cup in the West Indies to the Indian Premier League. He now hosts the cricket coverage for Channel Nine in Australia and Channel 5 in England.

Walking up the down escalator

2014 in review: Player strikes, defeats against fellow minnows, and mountains of debt for the board marked another grim year for Zimbabwe

The first Boxing Day classic

Ashley Mallett: Nearly 150 years ago, the MCG saw the start of a much-loved tradition, with a match starring Aboriginal players

Hangovers and headaches

2014 in review: Embarrassing defeats, a beleaguered captain, a bitter former star, alienating administrators - England's year was gloomy. By George Dobell

Ten years later

Gallery: Efforts by Surrey have helped transform a coastal village in Sri Lanka devastated by the December 26 tsunami

Going for glory and falling just short

Anantha Narayanan: An anecdotal account of close finishes similar to the recent Adelaide Test

Watson's merry-go-round decade

In January 2005, Shane Watson made his Test debut. What does he have to show for a decade in the game?

Power to Smithy, trouble for Dhoni

Australia's new captain admirably turned things around for his side in Brisbane, leading in more departments than one

Why punish the West Indies players when the administration is to blame?

As ever, the West Indies board has taken the short-term view and removed supposedly troublesome players instead of recognising its own incompetence

Gilchrist's conscientious moment

In the semi-final against Sri Lanka in 2003, Adam Gilchrist walked back to the pavilion despite being given not out by the on-field umpire

Australia's 50-50 lifelines

Three Australia players made half-centuries on day one at the MCG; for each of them, the innings' meant different things