There was relief mixed with caution in the Bangladesh Cricket Board's reaction to the ECB's decision to send the England team to Bangladesh next month. England's one-day team is scheduled to arrive in Dhaka on September 30 for the three-match series in early October before the two Tests later that month in Chittagong and Mirpur.
It was a nervous wait for the BCB, players, fans and journalists on late Thursday night and early Friday morning when the BCB was informed of the decision following which came the ECB's media release. The BCB chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury said they welcomed ECB's decision but vigilance over the next five weeks and during the tour will be more crucial.
"We welcome England's decision and we thank the team for their decision," Chowdhury told ESPNcricinfo. "We held meetings with the ECB delegation earlier this month where the security plan was shown to them in detail. At the same time, the government gave them assurance that the highest level of security will be provided to them.
"Having said that, the ECB will constantly monitor the situation in Bangladesh till they arrive so we have to remain vigilant and continue our security standards. We will be in constant touch with them during this period."
The BCB, in conjunction with the Bangladesh government, provided high security to the teams during the World T20 in 2014, which was just after a spate of election-related violence. When Australia pulled out of their tour last year and then the Under-19 World Cup, the teams also got extra security in four cities across the country.