Drama in Jaipur as a furious Jos Buttler was run out while backing up too far out of his crease at the non-striker's end by Kings XI Punjab captain R R Ashwin. A mankading dismissal always brings out strong reactions, and it was no different on social media this time around.
Shane Warne, who's held various roles with Rajasthan Royals over the years, was extremely critical of Ashwin's action. He even came up with another scenario.
Sorry - one more thing to add. If Ben Stokes did what Ashwin did to @imVkohli it would be ok ? I'm just very disappointed in Ashwin as I thought he had integrity & class. Kings lost a lot of supporters tonight. Especially young boys and girls ! I do hope the BCCI does something— Shane Warne (@ShaneWarne) March 25, 2019
Ben Stokes was quick to clarify that he would never ever ever do it.
Obviously, the spirit of cricket question came up.
He ain't winning any spirit of cricket awards is old ashwin— Dale Steyn (@DaleSteyn62) March 25, 2019
So disappointed in @ashwinravi99 as a Captain & as a person. All captains sign the #IPL wall & agree to play in the spirit of the game. RA had no intention of delivering the ball - so it should have been called a dead ball. Over to u BCCI - this a not a good look for the #IPL— Shane Warne (@ShaneWarne) March 25, 2019
I can't believe what I'm seeing!! @IPL Terrible example to set for young kids coming through. In time I think Ashwin will regret that.— Eoin Morgan (@Eoin16) March 25, 2019
Don't blame Ashwin here. As it's allowed in the Laws of the game.. how is it disrespectful or against the spirit of the game if it's allowed within the Laws of game?— Dean Jones (@ProfDeano) March 25, 2019
Blame the administrators for making the Law.
No No No Ashwin,that's just not in the spirit of the game#RRvsKXIP— Cameron Delport (@Cam12Delport) March 25, 2019
Interesting reading comments on @ashwinravi99 mankad.... a) it's in the rules.... change the rule! b) not in the spirit of the game. Is this the behaviour we want youngsters to follow? Lets take care of our game...@ProfDeano @MichaelVaughan @Eoin16 @IPL @ICC— Roelof van der Merwe (@Roela52) March 25, 2019
Some were fine with a mankad dismissal, as long as the batsman had been warned.
My thoughts on the Mankad. Its not cheating, it's not against the spirit as it's in the rules you can do it. Personally I would warn someone if I was to do it but the batsman should also play fair by staying behind the crease. It's a bit like the underarm serve in tennis right??— Mitchell Johnson (@MitchJohnson398) March 25, 2019
My opinion on the Buttler/Ashwin controversy is that its NOT Buttlers fault and its NOT Ashwins fault either— Scott Styris (@scottbstyris) March 25, 2019
Ashwin is entitled to appeal
I thought the TV umpire made the incorrect decision
Shouldve been dead ball..... play on
If you are on Twitter, it's unlikely you wouldn't have come across a debate on the topic (or a gif).
Endless argument and Many will debate it, but ask any professional cricketer in the world if a "mankad" is acceptable.... 99% will say absolutely not.... the other 1% are bell ends!! #ipl #spiritofcricket #KXIPvRR— Peter Trego (@tregs140) March 25, 2019
Ashwin— Suzie Bates (@SuzieWBates) March 25, 2019
Hahahaahaha Ashwin u little Rippa Hahahaha this is historic only way to get him out well I'll take it hahahahaha Ashwin , Ppl need to know it's the rules and until it's change guys will do it , but Jos stealing as well getting a head start for a run #IPL2019— Tino95 (@tinobest) March 25, 2019
Ashwin, that's shocking behaviour! Very disappointed to see that.— Jason Roy (@JasonRoy20) March 25, 2019
Very very poor wasn't it— Chris Lynn (@lynny50) March 25, 2019
And when you're Ashwin's wife...
There are rules. And cameras. Now stop spamming my mentions and do it on Ashwin's timeline. Also, Awwwwww Ankit .— Prithi Ashwin (@prithinarayanan) March 25, 2019
This is why Instagram is so much nicer than Twitter . Folks only ask about important things like my non existent skin care routine or my lipstick shade or what my kids had for dinner.— Prithi Ashwin (@prithinarayanan) March 25, 2019
And not to forget the mistaken identities.
I have been getting messages and tags and mentions from upset Indian cricket fans all morning - some angry, some supportive - because they have mistaken me for English cricketer Jos Buttler, it's been quite a day for me on twitter dot com https://t.co/ikEO8w8lmP— Josh Butler (@JoshButler) March 26, 2019
Josh, gday— Steve Smith (@stevesmithffx) March 26, 2019