County news

'I'm no cheat' - Shahzad

A reprimand for damaging the pitch compounded Ajmal Shahzad's disappointing 2011 but he is ready to put in the hard graft as Yorkshire seek promotion

David Hopps

March 31, 2012

Ajmal Shahzad bowls for the England Lions against Sri Lanka, England Lions v Sri Lankans, Tour match, Derby, May 20, 2011
Ajmal Shahzad fell off England's radar after a season disrupted by injury and poor form, as well as controversy © Getty Images

Ajmal Shahzad wants to put a horrific 2011 behind him as part of a Yorkshire side aiming to make a quick return to Division One of the Championship.

As well as feeling the fury that met Yorkshire's relegation, Shahzad's position on the fringes of the England side disappeared as his bowling deteriorated amid the struggle to combat a long-standing ankle injury first suffered on England's 2010-11 Ashes tour.

To make matters worse, his personal reputation also suffered as he was found guilty of a pitch-scuffing incident at Edgbaston. By the end of the season, with only 25 Championship wickets to his name at 41 runs apiece, one of county cricket's most ebullient figures cast a forlorn figure.

Shahzad was severely reprimanded and fined £750 ($1,200) by an ECB disciplinary panel for scuffing the pitch in a late-season match at Edgbaston, an impromptu act that summed up the frustrations of a season in which Yorkshire's reputation as the brightest young side in the country collapsed and Shahzad also fell out of form and favour.

One ankle operation later, he shakes his head in embarrassment at the memory. "It was just a stupid error by me," he said. "I went to Lord's for the hearing and I could see from the footage it was just incredibly stupid what I did. There wasn't even any point in doing it.

"It's not the way I want to play my game. I don't want to be seen as a cheat, or a pitch-damager. We were hoping to win that game; we needed to win it to stay up. It didn't really go the way we wanted it to go. Emotions and actions kind of just built up.

"What I did was stupid. But I have been reprimanded and been given the penalty for that. It's one mistake I've made in an eight- or nine-year career so far. It's out of the blue for me, and I definitely would never do anything like it again. It was just a random, stupid act."

Shahzad suffered for trying to play through his ankle pain with the help of two injections. His bowling action suffered, he lost his ability to swing the ball and he tried to compensate by quickening his pace. Yorkshire grumbled, without much justification, that he had lost focus and, as relegation became a reality, the chairman Colin Graves also had him on his hit list when he accused some players of turning in "unacceptable" performances.

"I played a bit more than half the season with a dodgy ankle," Shahzad said. "I was in a lot of pain, but just kept playing through it because I wanted to put my performances in for Yorkshire. In hindsight, I could have probably taken that time away and got it checked out. If I'd had it looked at during the season, had surgery then, it would have kept me out for that summer. I had the surgery in October and it feels good now."

Injury kept Shahzad out of England's winter squads, but he could not wait to pack his suitcase when he was invited to Dubai as net fodder for England during their one-day series against Pakistan and he played in all but one of Yorkshire's pre-season games in Barbados.

"It was just a nice feeling to be in and around the England team," he said. "It's been a year or two since I've felt that - enjoying their victories in the one-dayers and seeing again what kind of level I need to be at to get back into the squad if the opportunity comes.

"I feel as if I'm starting at the beginning again. Last season was tough. I tried to adapt the way I bowl to compensate for my ankle injury. I shouldn't have done that. But I was trying to get through a season, and minimise the pain.

"Last season was tough - I tried to adapt the way I bowl to compensate for my ankle injury but I shouldn't have" Ajmal Shahzad

"Then there were instances where I probably tried to bowl a little bit too fast, change a little bit of my action to compensate for my ankle. But now I feel consistent with my action, my run-up, my landing - and that's come about with having my ankle pain-free.

"I'm 26, coming near to my peak and I want to keep progressing. I don't want to stagnate, I want to achieve the best I possibly can.

Graves' financial support has kept Yorkshire alive for several seasons, so he had quite literally earned his right to say his piece, but when he labelled the performances of some Yorkshire players on the day they went down as "a disgrace", it caused shockwaves throughout the county.

"There were some harsh words spoken," Shahzad said, "but at the end of the day, the stats are there for everybody to see. I've got my reasons for why it was so tough personally. If they didn't think I was fit to play then I shouldn't have been on the pitch.

"There were a few people, including myself, who did get a bit of a shock at the end of last season by a few words that were spoken by the owner of the club. That's the nature of the game. We've just got to crack on with what we do. We try our best every time we get on the pitch. There's not a point when we get on the pitch and think 'Oh, today's not the day for us' or 'I don't really feel it'.

"This is my job. I'm a fast bowler, who bats - and I go on to that pitch every day trying to take wickets and bowl as quick as I possibly can, and bowl well. I'm at the end of a three-year contract with Yorkshire. We've got some serious players in the squad. My personal ambition is to do well this season, and hope to get another contract offer from Yorkshire - and put some hard graft in."

Edited by Alan Gardner

David Hopps is the UK editor of ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: David Hopps

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (April 2, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

Matt, the problem is some will always use the colour of a persons skin to make an issue out of them not being selected. Shahzad last season had a number of set backs, but people like JamesTHEwalldravid dont look at that....The other cricketers he mentions, 1) Bopara has been tried and found wanting at test level, 2) Samit had (and still has a fitness issue) but deserves a 10-20 game run like morgan and Ravi have had, 3) Rashid, lacks a stock delivery, 4) Chopra, not seen much of him, but doesnt seem to have set the FC world alight, to get into the test team you need to be one of the top 2-3 players in that position, the others I assume are Monty, woefull fielding and lack of wicket taking balls may drop him out of contention for the next test.

Posted by yorkshirematt on (April 1, 2012, 17:24 GMT)

@Jamesthewalldravid What do they have in common? Well they are all english born cricketers (a rare thing i know) who are talented but haven't quite got what it takes to play international cricket (not quite so rare and has happened to many a player in the past)

Posted by yorkshirematt on (April 1, 2012, 15:26 GMT)

@Randyoz I often like to compare him to our old friend mitch johnson actually

Posted by RandyOZ on (April 1, 2012, 11:01 GMT)

Hahaha the Afridi of English cricket, although far less talented.

Posted by pommy80 on (April 1, 2012, 10:02 GMT)

@Jonesy2, good enough to beat Australia 3-1 in Australia.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (April 1, 2012, 9:26 GMT)

@yorkshirematt you are right. The same goes for Ravi Bopara, Samit Patel, Rasheed, Varun Chopra and others.I wonder why they keep trying? and also I wonder what they all have in Common?

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (April 1, 2012, 9:23 GMT)

@ csowmi7 didn't they lose 5-0 to Eng and then 4-0 to the aussies? something like that right? so that's what I mean when I say 9-0. Hope that helps:)

Posted by yorkshirematt on (April 1, 2012, 8:42 GMT)

As a Headingley regular, I've watched Shahzad come through the system, and never had him down as an England player, barely even a county player at times. Very frustrating. I was happy to be proved wrong when he had his best season a couple of years ago and got into the England side, but he's reverted to type since. He can do some good stuff, but is too prone to wayward deliveries.

Posted by brittop on (April 1, 2012, 7:20 GMT)

@sirvivfan: this person doesn't know why "these" guys don't get support from the English county system Please could you tell me.

Posted by jonesy2 on (April 1, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

remember when england selected this guy? how good are england

Posted by csowmi7 on (April 1, 2012, 5:06 GMT)

@Jamesthewalldravid How is it 9-0?

Posted by AndyZaltzmannsHair on (April 1, 2012, 0:08 GMT)

Pitch scuffer.... lol. Ridiculous. I though cricket was in general now understood that stuff like this happens in every match. I thought wrong.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 22:44 GMT)

@simon_w on, haha my friend you 100% correct sir. Also I would like to pose a very similar line of inquiry. Let me begin by asking is Eng ranked as the number one team in the world? The answer is of course yes. Has Eng recently been whitewashed in The UAE by Pakistan? And have they lost recently against Sri Lanka making their recent results a virtual 4-0? 4 defeats and 0 wins? Indeed it is so. Did India the former world number 1 team lose 9-0? Yes they did. What can we learn from this? The rankings mean very little. One could argue that the rankings are not based on current results, but on performance over a long period of time and are therefore correct assessment, right? Yes and no. Yes because it is technically true and no because the truth is those result would have been different had India had played away from Asia earlier and the same is true if Eng had earlier played in Asia earlier. So in conclusion Anderson being number 2 is like Eng being number 1, ergo incorrect.

Posted by MaruthuDelft on (March 31, 2012, 22:16 GMT)

@simon_w, Anderson has a problem. It should work for him from ball number one on any given day. If that happens he sends a few top batsmen back to pavilion for ducks. If not he won't take any wickets in the match. Also if he bowls well say 3 wickets in the first innings he will not take any wickets in the second. Anderson has serious limitations to rise or pull himself to deliver something extra if the other side ascends during the course of a match. He can do something only in the following tests. That is not good enough to be rated second best.

Posted by RohanMarkJay on (March 31, 2012, 21:55 GMT)

Good luck Ajmal Shahzad.

Posted by simon_w on (March 31, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

England's best four pacers (Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan/Tremlett?) against SA's (Steyn, Morkel, Philander, de Lange?) is a close-run thing, think. Look at the depth England have below that, though! Bresnan/Tremlett, Onions and Shahzad all have excellent Test records (okay, Onions' doesn't really do him justice, but it's still good) and can't get in the side, and the likes of Dernbach, Woakes etc. haven't even had a chance yet. oh, and @JamesTHEwalldravid -- correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Anderson ranked the 2nd best bowler in the world right now..?

Posted by JG2704 on (March 31, 2012, 18:48 GMT)

@ AdrianVanDenStael on (March 31 2012, 12:26 PM GMT) To be honest , he possibly came in for an injured player and then when the injured player returned he was out.Sometimes it works that way. De Lange had an awesome debut but then was out again due to them having Steyn,Morkel and Philander. I did mention about him last year and a Yorks fan said he's gone right off the boil. Maybe a little like Hildreth from Somerset with the bat although he has yet to play a test.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 18:35 GMT)

@charlesandrewbudge continued:Tremlet was horrible in The UAE and he gets injured every two days now. Bresnan? Can't say, he has played so few tests. The others you mention Woaks, Meaker etc. are promising nothing more. You could just as easily pick 5 county batsmen who look impressive, but so what? Some were tried in India and in the ODI's against Pak and it looked like Boycott's Grandmother could bat better than them. They were brought in to hit big, but slogged & missed, got bogged down and got out. The only one who can clearly be world class apart from Broad is Finn. He has the pace, but needs consistency in line & length or he will at best be a Bret Lee who promises much with his pace, but who no top class batsman is really worried about in tests. Meaker also has pace, but his control is Steve Harmisonesque at times. Shezad, as it says in the article had a poor last season & is returning from injury so who knows? I hope he comes back and does well, I think he has real potential.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 18:13 GMT)

@charlesandrewbudge, a pleasure Charles. Like I said the English attack is very good when firing on all cylinders. I agree that Broad at his best is a world class bowler in most conditions, but before that one magic series against India he was on the verge of being dropped! He has admittedly performed impressively since then against Pak and SL, but will it continue? Why? We don't know either way so let's not make him into Dale Steyn just yet. After all Eng were thought to be the next big thing under Flower after defeating India and look at the now. I'm not saying this to be belittling just to give some perspective. Anderson averages 27 since 2008 and so what? He did decently against Pak, but he never to looked like running through a side ala Steyn or even Broad. Good stats, but misleading, same as Swanny who the Pakistanis were laughing at. End of part one and to be continued…

Posted by sirvivfan on (March 31, 2012, 17:57 GMT)

I thought as much! We know why these guys don't get support from English county system. We can all wonder why.... But it is obvious this true not only at this level but those boys who are inspiring to become cricket professionals right from junior county system. I know this from first hand, however lot of encouragement for those from south Africa. This is a fact! Why is Investacc sponsoring England rather than South African team, which needs money to develop cricket amongst it's African population.

Posted by   on (March 31, 2012, 17:30 GMT)

He should have gone to Worcestershire 3 or 4 years ago when he had the chance. Rather than compete for a place in Yorkshire, he would have had the new ball and a great deal more support with us. Still..his choice.

Posted by dsig3 on (March 31, 2012, 15:13 GMT)

@PunchDrunkPunter cant tell if serious. Its comments like that that make Englands current run so fun to watch.

Posted by charlesandrewbudge on (March 31, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

@JamesTHEwalldravid - England's problems against Pakistan and Sri Lanka were down to poor batting rather than poor bowling, neither side produced particularly impressive innings against the England attack. Regarding your comments about Anderson, Broad et al; since the beginning of the 2008 season Anderson has averaged 27.04 with the ball, and Broad absolutely massacred the Indians in 2011 and was comfortably England's best seamer in the UAE. Bresnan, Tremlett and Finn have all contributed positively for England in the pace bowling department in the past eighteen months, and the county circuit boasts the likes of Onions, Shahzad, Woakes, Harris, Meaker and others. It's completely unfair to suggest that England's pace bowling reserves begin and end with Jade Dernbach.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

@PunchDrunkPunter hahaha yeah that's why they dominated Sri Lanka and Pak right? Don't get me wrong, Eng are a very very good side with very good fast bowlers, but you are exagerating. Anderson is only rated by Eng, Broad is potentially very good, but blows hot and cold and also has injurt issues. Finn has Pace (I love it), but lacks control in the longer format. Who ese is there? Mr. "I have 5 slower balls please hit me for 6" Dernbach? Dude be real. If Broad stays fit and focused and Finn finds control then yes Eng are very dangerous. Or If the swings aka Anderson. In the 90's Anderson would be considered a club bowler outside of Eng and a couple of Sub- Continent sides.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

ALso Rasheed/Rashid (don't know the spellingof his name) was once a great prospect as a Legspinner, something Eng have not really had since god knowshow long.I believe he was also from Yorkshire, but for some strange reason he was not given the support of the Flower and the Eng setup and then he lost his form and bowled were badly. Samit Patel is also always being told to step up despite his performances.

Posted by JamesTHEwalldravid on (March 31, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

This isso sad. He was never given the support that he deserved from the Eng setup. I wonder why? ;)

Posted by PunchDrunkPunter on (March 31, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

As good as Vernon Philander (Shahzad has a Test bowling average of 15.75), yet he can't even get in England's touring squad. That is the depth that England has!

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (March 31, 2012, 12:26 GMT)

I hope Shahzad gets another opportunity, but there is a danger that he will end up as another one-cap wonder. While a lot is made of the consistency of England selection these days, there are actually still quite a few players who only get one chance in test cricket and are then discarded, which makes very little sense.

David HoppsClose
David Hopps David Hopps joined ESPNcricinfo as UK editor early in 2012. For the previous 20 years he was a senior cricket writer for the Guardian and covered England extensively during that time in all Test-playing nations. He also covered four Olympic Games and has written several cricket books, including collections of cricket quotations. He has been an avid amateur cricketer since he was 12, and so knows the pain of repeated failure only too well. The pile of untouched novels he plans to read, but rarely gets around to, is now almost touching the ceiling. He divides his time between the ESPNcricinfo office in Hammersmith and his beloved Yorkshire.