January 17, 2000

Hussain shoots down snub claims

Centurion - Nasser Hussain has shot down suggestions his idea to play a day/night limited-overs match after the fifth Test was "snubbed by the South African team".

The England captain had thought the idea of such a venture would reward the supporters of both camps for their patience during the rain-ruined final match of the Millennium Series.

Hansie Cronje, after talking to the rest of the South African side at a sodden SuperSport Park yesterday, had declined the offer to play what could have been a 25-overs-a-side slog under lights.

Dr Ali Bacher, managing director of the United Cricket Board, said there were a number of contractual agreements which had to be adhered to: television rights along with those for radio, sponsors and other facets would create a problem.

What with SA Breweries/MTN pouring in R106-million over five years, it is easy to understand how peeved they would be if the UCB suddenly switch to a day/night game.

Hussain, talking to British media, said that tabloid claims he had been snubbed by the South Africans had been a fabrication.

As it is Northerns have a day/night match at the Test venue tomorrow against Zimbabwe who arrived in the country yesterday. The 50-overs game, which starts at 2.00pm.

Heath Streak, missing from the Zimbabwe side which played South Africa in the Test series last year, has recovered from his injury and has been included in what Andy Flower described as a "very useful, all purpose side for the triangular series" which also involves South African and England.

The Northerns side is to be announced today while the Zimbabwe squad, captained by Andy Flower, are hoping to get in some practice at the Wanderers today.

The Zimbabwe squad is: Andy Flower (captain), Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Grant Flower, Murray Goodwin, Guy Whittall, Gary Brent, Andrew Whittall, Henry Olonga, Mpumelelo Mbangwa, John Rennie, Heath Streak, Everton Matambanadzo, Stuart Carlisle, Craig Wishart.