World T20 2016 February 12, 2016

Pollard, Narine pull out of World T20 squad

ESPNcricinfo staff
67

Play 01:22
Narine and Pollard opt out of World T20

West Indies have been dealt big blows ahead of next month's World Twenty20, with both Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine withdrawing from the 15-man squad.

A WICB release said that Pollard pulled out due to "lack of sufficient progress in his rehabilitative work", while Narine's reason was "insufficient progress in the rehabilitative work on his bowling action". Narine is currently banned from bowling in internationals. Allrounder Carlos Brathwaite has been named as Pollard's replacement, though the WICB is yet to find a player to take Narine's spot in the squad.

Narine had been reported for a suspect action during the third ODI on West Indies' tour to Sri Lanka last November, and an independent assessment later revealed that all variations of his deliveries exceeded the 15-degree limit. Narine had earlier been picked in the West Indies squad for the 2015 World Cup, but also withdrew from that tournament to work on his bowling action, which was first reported during the 2014 Champions League T20.

Both Pollard and Narine had been picked in the initial World T20 squad despite not being given annual retainer contracts by the WICB. Pollard had even been controversially axed from the 2015 World Cup squad, though Michael Muirhead, the WICB's chief executive, later stressed that every player had an equal chance of being selected for the World T20.

Pollard has not played any form of cricket since November, when a knee injury abruptly ended his Ram Slam T20 Challenge campaign and ruled him out of the Big Bash League. Both Pollard and Narine last turned out for West Indies on November 11, against Sri Lanka in Colombo.

West Indies are in Group 1 of the Super 10 stage at the World T20, along with England, South Africa, Sri Lanka and a qualifying team from the first round of the tournament. The squad will assemble in the UAE for a preparatory camp between February 22 and March 6, and will travel to India on March 7

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • NkSad on February 17, 2016, 8:36 GMT

    No Narine, Pollard or Bravo! This definitely is going to hurt the W.I. chances, where we don't have our best batsman or bowls currently. The replacements for them has left something to be desired on the team. We have Badree, but other than that we don't have any consistent spinners, Jerome Taylor have been struggling and Holder is not that good, and we are left with a hold lot of all rounders. And with Darren gone, and Marlon not in form that middle order is looking weak with only Dwayne and Ramdin, we have to hope some of these all rounders come good. Hopefully we have enough to get the job done but it's not looking promising.

  • rubbas on February 16, 2016, 0:48 GMT

    Carlos Brathwaite is a far better player than Pollard anyway so no big loss there.

  • ashok1259 on February 15, 2016, 8:19 GMT

    @ SATISHCHANDAR --- Well said. I wonder why everybody blames IPL always. WI Players played BIGBASH and their team lost badly in the hands of AUS. Arnold bowling 140 Kmps in Big bash and WI Bowlers are not able to take a wicket in test match. No body mention that.

  • satishchandar on February 15, 2016, 5:43 GMT

    Whilst reading the comment section, i see many references to IPL.. Of course, none commented when there were WI guys playing T20 league in Australia when there was heavy blows incurred by their team in same soil.. Both issues have same thing in common - The Players- Board issues, But the people are selective in blaming board for one issue, and blaming league for the other - You know who is who obviously..

  • SRAM20 on February 15, 2016, 3:57 GMT

    @Jason: WTH? India is hosting the World T20 for the first time since this tournament started in 2007. And NZ just co-hosted the ODI World Cup last year along with Australia. Why do they need to host two ICC tournaments in two years? Its rightfully India's turn to host this time.

  • Baundele on February 15, 2016, 2:03 GMT

    When you do not take proper care of your employees, this is exactly what happens.

  • Principle75 on February 14, 2016, 22:19 GMT

    While the West Indies cricket board has made some obvious blunders over the years, it must be said that they are totally right on this one. These players have become totally money obsessed. They don't respect the great legacy that was left to them. Soon however, they will realize that their legacy is the only thing that they will be remembered by when they stop playing. Sir Garry and Sir Viv stopped playing a long time ago but I can guarantee you that they will never go broke or hungry. Why? Because of the body of work they left behind and the respect that the cricketing world has for them. Let's start looking at the younger players as this group clearly does not care about West Indies cricket, only themselves.

  •   Shah Mohamed on February 14, 2016, 13:44 GMT

    Cricket is dying because of T20. The best developed players are no longer committed to their countries. They are ungrateful to their boards who spent millions to develop them. The ICC and individual boards should immediately implement a repayment system for all players who went through the development process ie youth and A team to serve 10yrs . Similar to government training on nurses, teachers etc

  • willsrustynuts on February 13, 2016, 19:43 GMT

    They should just play. WI practice the Mankad at nets these days. Who needs to bowl?!

  • Kiranraj007 on February 13, 2016, 19:16 GMT

    I see no one here has actually bought up kevon cooper's name as possible replacement for Marine...Cooper has a good record in India and his style is well suited for the sub continent wickets.

  • No featured comments at the moment.