India news

Dhawan better off after South Africa 'setback'

ESPNcricinfo staff

March 11, 2014

Shikhar Dhawan uppercuts Neil Wagner for six, New Zealand v India, 2nd Test, Wellington, 1st day, February 14, 2014
"Good time always flies really fast," says Shikhar Dhawan on completing a year with the Indian team © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Shikhar Dhawan
Teams: India

Shikhar Dhawan in South Africa: four Test innings, 76 runs, a highest of 29. Dhawan in New Zealand: four innings, 215 runs, a century that nearly won India a lost match and a 98 that put them in a winning position. Dhawan believes the two performances are related to each other. The "setback" in South Africa, he has told ESPNcricinfo, made him introspect and work further on his batting, which bore results in New Zealand.

"From South Africa, when I didn't score that much, I analysed my game that as a batsman, or as an opener, what shots I have to play at the start or what shots I shouldn't play," Dhawan said. "Every pitch is different. We were playing in India a lot that time [just before going to South Africa]. Then when I went there, it was a setback. I wouldn't say a failure, but the setback helped me a lot to become a more mature player.

"Then I realised, 'Okay on these kinds of tracks I need to play these kind of shots. And I have to leave bouncers [alone] at the start because the bounce is different, and it is hard to keep the ball down.' That's what I did and brought those things into my practice. When I went to New Zealand that practice became my instinct, and that's how I scored big runs there."

It has now been a year since Dhawan's comeback into the Indian team resulted in a sensational debut-Test century. A late bloomer, the 28-year-old Dhawan has scored seven international centuries in this period. Only his friend and now team-mate Virat Kohli has scored more hundreds over the last 12 months. Time has simply flown for Dhawan.

"One year is over already," Dhawan said. "It went so quickly. Good time always flies really fast. I celebrated on my own, the first anniversary with the Indian team. It's a great feeling. We won so many series, and of course we saw a bit of down time too. But that's how it is. You see ups and downs both. It is a beautiful journey. I am happy that I have been contributing to my side. I want to keep doing that, I want to keep improving as a batsman, and keep winning matches and series for my side.

"I had a bit of a lean patch too. That lean patch made me stronger, and made me realise the areas I had to improve on. Made me a more mature player. That's the best thing. It is a beautiful thing that I scored a lot of centuries and half-centuries. That's every batsman's dream: to score a lot of centuries and become the main man for the team."

Dhawan had to wait in the wings because two other Delhi batsmen formed one of India's most prolific opening partnerships of all time. He is philosophical about that phase, and also knows there can be no room for complacency. "I scored seven centuries in domestic cricket when I came to the Test side," Dhawan said. "I always believed it is a race that never ends. When Gautam bhai [Gambhir] and Viru bhai [Sehwag] were playing, I was playing in Ranji. I always used to believe this race never ends. I should just keep performing well, and then my time will come. Then god blessed me with [a place in the] Indian team. I just focus on my game, whatever is in my hand - my hard work, my dedication, my commitment to my team - that's all I do. And keep learning day by day."

Not just at the top of the order, there has been a change of the batting guard through the whole Indian batting line-up. Dhawan is pleased with how the transition has gone ahead. "Every individual takes that responsibility," Dhawan said. "To be the main man. To take the responsibility to win the match for the team. We are youngsters, we are still learning a lot of cricket.

"It doesn't happen overnight. You have to spend time out there and play a lot of matches to get experience. We have been doing well as a young unit. We won a lot of series, we lost a few too, but I personally feel we are doing really well. Out of these young players, there are going to be lots of future legends."

Posted by Naresh28 on (March 13, 2014, 8:06 GMT)

@nampally - In a another blog, you commented on the selection of the playing eleven in the hands of captain and coach as a flawed move. I agree. Maybe a day before the game - captain,coach and selectors should have a tele-conference and make decisions on the playing eleven. Dhoni is quick to kill confidence especially in new/benched players and heaps on current players all the time. He should be encouraging competition by the players for slots and the AIM should be to have the best playing 11.

Posted by Naresh28 on (March 13, 2014, 7:54 GMT)

@neheer ahmed - You speak of the team not winning - that was purely to the bowlers not able to sustain after good periods. A big problem for team India. For India they will persist with Dhawan. Rohit Sharma - well this guy should be replaced, cause how many dropped catches, lazy - once when India was in a good position - first ball after tea and he was out. He will one day regret it as India has ample replacements in the batting department.

Posted by   on (March 13, 2014, 6:11 GMT)

Dhawan has turned it around after SA!!! Ohh please the team couldn't win a single match on that tour one hundred after a duck and a 98. gambhir wasn't given that many chances. Dhawan and rohit sharma have been over rated ever since the australians came to India and after that it has been all downhill . Even Rahane got a hundred in the test series there's no talk about that. With all due respect I don't see him and most of the current Indian players play the 2015 world cup.I'm not buying that he has turned it around

Posted by Nampally on (March 12, 2014, 20:08 GMT)

@Naresh28; Uttappa is only 28 & already has been an opening bat for nearly a decade. He was brought in when Gambhir & Sehwag were the openers & in form. His S/R in short format was just unbelievable. Now we have Rohit- a converted opener- not performing + Vijay, equally struggling. At the same time the Selectors appear to be lost for Choice. Here is Uttappa still scoring & winning matches. He is younger than Vijay or Dhawan. Why is he a Forgotten Man? For him the life in the big competition began at 18 but finished when he is still a force in local Cricket- I ask Why?

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 18:09 GMT)

@amilag: Just like SL's Mahela Jayawardena, Mathews and Thirimanne.

Posted by Mike_Tyson on (March 12, 2014, 12:52 GMT)

Jeez.. I am amazed at some people calling him a flat track bully. He has only had 2 away tours and people are judging him already! Give the lad a chance!

How many non SC batsman have fared well in the SC in their first tour? This constant hounding of SC batsman especially Indian one's is getting extremely boring.

Most non SC batsman regardless of how good they are past and present have been made to look like rabbits infront of headlights when playing in the SC on what I must say have not been dustbowls, just slow flat wickets.

Posted by Biso on (March 12, 2014, 12:05 GMT)

@Electric -Loco..Wap4: SD was terrorized by MJ in India? Which series are you talking about. He was hooking and pulling MJ all over the park. Do not talk out of your hat. His problem has been that he tried to play the horizontal bat shots too soon on pitches abroad which obviously led to his downfall. In NZ he stopped playing the pull and hook shots (which he plays instinctively), till he saw off the new ball, and that got him runs in tests.ODI's are different and SD has to find a way to play those shots sooner but not as soon as in the first few overs. Interestingly he played the horizontal bat shots very well in England during the champions trophy and did it well against all teams.

Posted by Gzero on (March 12, 2014, 11:49 GMT)

He has only 2 international tours under his belt & people are after him like wild dogs.

A lot of people here don't know how to handle plastic ball, & they say dhawan should retire. LOL.

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 11:40 GMT)

dont please make out too much from whatever we have seen in a period of 10 to 12 months all these batsmen have shown their potential in s/a in n/z and we have not been able to win because of our bowling so the need of the hour is to find two classy extreame pace indimidating bowlers to support mshamiwho has really done well and jadeja as an all round support has been good and then the results will be there to see for shikar heis a classy top order batsmen and a great player after virat he just need to work out playing in different conditions against lethal attacks

Posted by AVIRAL_Ashok on (March 12, 2014, 11:21 GMT)

@amilag by most of the batsmen did you mean PAK players???? ha ha!!!!

Posted by amilag on (March 12, 2014, 8:11 GMT)

He is just a flat track bully like most other Indian batsmans..

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 7:36 GMT)

It all started when Rohith sharma started opening for INDIA.. may be team management should have a look at it.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (March 12, 2014, 7:34 GMT)

@Htc-Android. No not at all. Also, you need to consider the opponent team's bowlers, grounds, pitch etc in to consideration. Hope this is applicable to some 'legendary' SL players who pile up runs against lower ranked teams and sub continent pitches.

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (March 12, 2014, 7:29 GMT)

@FlyingWicket. lol when he failed..thats his inability...when he got runs, thats his luck!!! ha ha ha

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 6:09 GMT)

Can somebody pass this message to Dhoni. Please select Playing XI as per below order to Win the T20 World Cup: 1. Dhawan 2. Kohli 3. Raina 4. Yuvraj 5. Rohit 6. Dhoni 7. Jadeja 8. Ashwin 9. Amit Mishra 10. Shami 11. Mohit Sharma

Posted by Greatest_Game on (March 12, 2014, 4:32 GMT)

@ SandipManjrekar commented "Oops!! Some confusions for Greatest_Game. His Mysteriously & enigmatic research work on India's recent history revolved on & around TEST only."

I did not comment on India's recent all format history, only on India's test series results since Dhawan made his debut, because THIS ARTICLE IS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT DHAWAN'S TEST CRICKET RECORD!!

The article does not address India's all format record. It only Dhawan's "setback" in TEST CRICKET! It does not mention India's record, nor Dhawan's record in any other format. It would thus be entirely illogical and irresponsible of me to comment on anything BUT his test record.

I have no "special grudged LOVE for INDIA," nor any ""special grudged LOVE for Shikhar Dhawan." Try this: follow the below link to Dhawan's debut match report. Scroll down to the comments. Read the 3rd down featured comment. Perhaps you will gain some perspective.

Posted by Htc-Android on (March 12, 2014, 2:56 GMT)

@Yousufahmed1. Does scoring centuries matter to you? For example Pollard has 3 centuries in 85 matches and Misbah has none in 145 ODIs. Does it mean Pollard better than Misbah to you?

Posted by   on (March 12, 2014, 2:53 GMT)

There you go.. the team is losing horribly ..the last thing you want is folks from your team thinking they are doing well when focus should what must I do to be THE GUY that the team and fans depend on to win a match (even an ODI) and be a hero.At the moment Virat looks to be the only one among the current crop who aspires of being THE GUY. 2 other players who have shown glimpses of those signs are Shami and Rahane while fielding

Posted by ProdigyA on (March 11, 2014, 23:57 GMT)

@Sandip- that was pretty awesome...

Posted by AvidCricFan on (March 11, 2014, 23:17 GMT)

Dhawan certainly has better feet movement than Viru. This is where he will do better with age. Good to see players analyzing their games and attempting to make mends with it. Some players like Rohit Sharma and Raina never seem to make mends with their weaknesses. Some players like Ishant Sharma regresses.

Posted by Naresh28 on (March 11, 2014, 23:00 GMT)

@nampally - like your choice on UTHAPPA as an opener in ODI. He seems to be in good form of late.He was once chosen in WC ODI team but failed. Maybe he has turned the corner. He needs to be tested in NZ/AUST conditions. BCCI should organize another A-tour there before WC.

Posted by Mike_Tyson on (March 11, 2014, 22:30 GMT)

Some people really need to get a grip. The lad is a good batsman and is improving, we have seen most batsman in the world recently struggle against good bowling on not too difficult tracks yet it does seem to be Indian batsman that get most criticism.

To all the critics, give it a rest, it's getting boring and tiresome, the flat track bully comments at the moment can be used for most so called top batsman in the world today. In the Eng v Aus series, SA v Ind, Ind v NZ and SA v Aus series there has not been one truly fast bouncy wicket however most batsman have struggled against decent bowling.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 22:11 GMT)

As a New Zealand fan, Dhawan looked really good in the tests, apart from the first innings in Auckland. Not so sure on his ODI ability though.

Posted by Navraj1967 on (March 11, 2014, 21:37 GMT)

Batsman selection or batting order have never been a problem for India. Selectors has always been a big problem of India. Selectors should look out of local or domestic cricket players now. Which may change the bowling culture of Indian Team. And one more thing selectors should look at it Is no player should play all forms of game??? Because this is also the biggest reason of players fatigue and injury.

Posted by ProdigyA on (March 11, 2014, 20:20 GMT)

Im not overly concerned about his batting as I think he is a good enough player to succeed and win matches for India on his own. My worry about him, is his fielding and running between the wickets. For a guy his age and physique, he is kinda sloppy in the field at this level.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 19:37 GMT)

If Shikar has done a meaningful introspection in its true sense, like analysing his weaknesses & strengths, scrolling back the video clippings of his batting techniques, taking the help of the appropriate coach, equipped to give advices as to how to be temperamentally patient to leave the Bouncers, till he settles & learn from the Coach as to how to tackle them, once settled etc,it is really great.

As the proof of the pudding is in eating, the positive results of his learning from his past mistakes will be known to all,shortly. Let us hope, he has done it and best wishes for one of our upcoming stars in the making !

Posted by Raki99 on (March 11, 2014, 19:33 GMT)

He Averages 36.75 In the last four test with One century, I think he did decent We should have won both test test in NZ if little bit of luck would have favoured us. But well good teams make their luck And India Is An Ok team. They don't have a good decent fast bowler other then shami, the spin deparment is horrible. Batsman are getting better and they would get better and better, I think Rohiot is still average, I don't seem doing good in Eng, He might do better in aus. But eng series would tell lot about the team, I am Not at all worried about the Batting but man bowling is just horrible. and That is the reason they could not win three recent test mathes. 1st test against the safeers and the two test in NZ.

Posted by SandipManjrekar on (March 11, 2014, 19:04 GMT)

Greatest_Game

Mr. Dhawan is quoted as saying " We won a lot of series, we lost a few too,"

Mr. Greatest_Game has quoted, "Thus, since his debut, India have won two series, and lost two series."

Some memory loss for Greatest_Game. There were many bilateral, Tri-nations ODI & Champions Trophy series involve INDIA. And records for them were fantastic till last 2 overseas series. But Greatest_Game categorically forgot to mention here.

The reason is quite obvious ......special grudged LOVE for INDIA.

He talks about Dhawanian mathematics. Dhawan had talked about his 1 year memories with IND. He is right what he said. But...

Greatest_Game is still puzzling in his own mathematics.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 18:35 GMT)

Someone mentioned here CLarke was made look like school kid by Morkel .And yeah what his score read 160* and Australia thrashed SA by over 240 runs and lost just 12 wktc 6 of those. in process of forcing the game.The thing is Clarke never had issues with short balls earlier in his career. The reason it is demanding for him to play it is due to his extremely bad back something which started with slipped disc which hampers him from quick movement up and down while batting. And its absurd bringing Clarke in discussion on Dhawan .Its bit rich coming from him that he has improved and satisfied with his performance in NZ after being found out in SA

Posted by Greatest_Game on (March 11, 2014, 18:20 GMT)

Mr. Dhawan is quoted as saying " We won a lot of series, we lost a few too,"

Really? Since his magnificent debut, India have won test series at home against Australia and the West Indies. However, away from India, his team did not win a single game against SA or NZ (in tests or ODIs!) Those were two test series losses.

Thus, since his debut, India have won two series, and lost two series. Mysteriously, according to Mr. Dhawan, two series wins are "a lot." and two series losses are "a few." Seemingly, either his arithmetic or his memory are not functional, or he fails to grasp the linguistic difference between "a lot" and "a few."

2 > 2 = Dhawanian mathematics - a mysterious and enigmatic riddle?

Posted by Ashokdmightyindian on (March 11, 2014, 18:02 GMT)

We badly need at least 4 test match series among SA IND AUS PAK and ENG!!! It will be a huge bonus not only to the team and revenues for CA and PCB but also for the test loving nations. WE BADLY NEED THESE COUNTRIES TO ENTERTAIN US !!!In fact I think BCCI must step forward and start proposing the tours. Once it will be in orders I am sure we can outthrow football as the most watched sports. Right now only SA has great deal of interest in test matches. Others too have but not A ZEAL !!!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 16:57 GMT)

I want to ask all those who say that Shikhar Dhawan is in the same mould as Rohit Sharma to notice a crucial difference which is why Dhawan scores better than Rohit. If you look at Shikhar Dhawan's drives, most of the times he presents a straight bat rather than an open face of the bat while playing the cover drive/ off drive. That makes a hell lot of a difference between the ball ending up in the hands of the slips and you at besst playing inside the line of the ball. I think if he can learn to leave more balls outside off early in his innings (especially in foreign tests) and decides not to play the hook/pull shot till he is set, i am sure he can go way ahead of Rohit Sharma.

Posted by Oracle_Magus on (March 11, 2014, 16:46 GMT)

It's easy for a spectator to pass negative comments on a player. But how it feels on the pitch as a opener facing the express pace of the Likes of Steyn and Johnson is a different story all together. If you had seen how Smith struggled against Johnson in the 1st test, especially when he was getting repeatedly hit on the body, one will get to realise that even a well experienced batsmen struggles against pace and bounce. The short pitch ball is dangerous and difficult to handle and that's why only two bouncers are allowed in an over. But due to media and speculation by many commentators etc, these deliveries are used mostly on a few players. Raina, Yuvraj and most indian players are always targeted, but if it's a well directed pacy bouncer even Amla, or ABD will fall prey. But these days there are very few bowlers who can execute these bouncers successfully. So let us support are players instead of just criticising because we have the liberty to do so.

Posted by Coolcapricorn on (March 11, 2014, 15:55 GMT)

Amazing how people - including some Indian fans it seems - are having a go at Dhawan! The guy is still fairly new to international cricket, has still hardly got much experience in playing abroad but still has done reasonably well to date - yet some haters want to have a pop at him! Even some star players of other countries, who have playing international cricket for say 10-15 years & who have so much more experience than Dhawan, have such poor batting averages whilst playing abroad. So denigrating his recent good performances in NZ or calling him a flat track bully is nothing but plain ridiculous!

Posted by Nampally on (March 11, 2014, 15:46 GMT)

Dhawan is a Left handed clone of Sehwag. Sehwag at his best was the Governor General of the Crease who destroyed the hearts & spirit of the best pace bowlers in the world. Dhawan has not achieved that status yet but has a potential to do so. Being less talented than Sehwag, he needs to discipline his batting with caution to succeed. While Sehwag used improvised footwork, Dhawan does have a better footwork & does not rely entirely on Hand-eye coordination. He needs to leave the balls outside the off stump well alone + avoid going after short pitched balls till he is used to the pace of the pitch. He is capable of getting big totals if he combines his aggression with patience & discipline. That is key to his success. In addition he also needs a good opening partner. Vijay & Rohit are not really the answer. I wonder why Uttappa is not being considered despite his vast experience + big scores as an opener. He will be ideal in ODI's + also a Test opener. Good Luck Rishi Dhawan!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 15:24 GMT)

Every big knock of Dhawan had at least one life! Dhawan may not remember those occasions. At least his guru Veeru can remember such lives well; but Veeru doesn't care. And, Veeru will be ready to repeat the same mistake, even for the very next ball. Disciple Dhawan is a bit of an improvement. If he repeats the same mistake, it is only because the bowler got clever and repeat the same ball!

Recipe to get Dhawan out: Give no width and bowl at his body (not above shoulder level). Repeat it.A few times. Sooner than later he will edge a catch; if not from the bat, but at least from the glove. He can swerve, but can't duck. Watch old videos of Sachin or Dravid to learn ducking well.

Above shoulder level Dhawan had a problem to middle the ball (hook, pull or ramp) well, but he seems to have overcome that.

A possible solution: He has to develop the art of moving across the crease, anticipating the line and CREATE his ideal width. Once he develops that move, he will be a very good batsman.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 14:21 GMT)

SL fans are calling Shikhar Dhawan a flat track bully, so what about SL great Mahela Jayawardena, whose test average in Australia is 31.42, in England is 34.11, in SA is 27.87 and in NZ is 27.71. Even Ashwin's tests batting average in Australia (32.60) is better than that of Mahela Jayawardena.

Posted by vik56in on (March 11, 2014, 14:17 GMT)

Dhawan is only deluding himself ! He was lucky in NZ. He still has a weakness against short balls and is all at sea in sporting pitches abroad. He will be sorted out in Aus ,SA and England again.

Posted by screamingeagle on (March 11, 2014, 14:13 GMT)

@Albert Campbell, not sure of the batsmen in all streets of Durban etc, but silly comments like yours can be found in all streets of Durban or w/e.

Posted by FlyingWicket on (March 11, 2014, 13:29 GMT)

Clearly dhawan is lucky agianst NZ bowlers and is clueless against SA bowlers.Let him tour AUS and ENG he will retire from cricket thereafter:D

Posted by UsmanMuhammad on (March 11, 2014, 13:26 GMT)

Really!!!! He never looks comfortable whilst playing the ball, particularly when executing the leg side whips he moves too much and good bowlers will work him soon.

Posted by Rajeshj on (March 11, 2014, 12:50 GMT)

If Dhawan feels that he has got out of the bad patch, then he is fooling himself.. He had his fair share of luck in NZ to score some decent run and also the quality of the attack was not too great compared to SA.. I would say he is still in the same league as Rohit.. Lack of consistency would be a major problem with this guy and needs greater luck like Rohit to be in Indian team for long.. Unlike Vijay, Dhawan was born in Delhi.. so he will play for long in Indian team..

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 11:23 GMT)

@Marathudeft: we have IPL man..y u all r so eager to play in India if we cannot afford even electricity?? It doesnt amazes me that even if you have such amazing cricketers, their kid's fees comes from IPL..lol

Posted by subcontinent-expert on (March 11, 2014, 11:23 GMT)

@Ashker enoon- kid look you dont kno any thing about IPL so better just shut up and conc. on the players you follow., Dhawan is not IPL bully simply because he has played well in ipl 1 and ipl 6 only... He is in INDIAN team becoz he made a lot of runs in Indian domestic cricket of which I m sure that you have no idea..

Posted by Abhijeth_Manohar on (March 11, 2014, 11:17 GMT)

@Gaurav Sethi - You must be from Delhi, so obvious. You probably worship this cricket team. Good for you. You're in for some major disappointments buddy .. India will not be coming back to play in India for a looonnng time.

Posted by sergio11 on (March 11, 2014, 11:08 GMT)

@wonderstar1..mate that one medal was won in 2000..not last year..we won 6 medal last year alone...lol...last 3 year SL won ZERO medals..LOL..they won only a ASIA cup..and already are behaving like world champs..so wat if they had won the world cup or Champions thropy...??? hhooo..

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 11:05 GMT)

@TommytuckerSaffa By the way I am sorry If I hurt you or any other Saffa's out there in my earlier comment on your players. I respect each and every player who represents their country no matter how good they are. Its an honor playing for your country and they are good enough to represent their nation. Cheers. By the way let's hope India and SA play 4 test match series soon.

Posted by subcontinent-expert on (March 11, 2014, 11:05 GMT)

Indian new players should learn from VK and MSD about how 2 score runs consistently at the top level... Dhavan is like Sehwag no gurantee when he will score or get out... But I believe he will get better with time... The real test of Nohit n Dhawan will be the 5 tests in ENG.. Also I donot think Nohit will survive till 2015wc but Dhawan will be in that team..

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 11:05 GMT)

in any case he will stay in the team for a few more months for sure.... he has the temperament to adjust his game according to the situation but he needs to be patient each time he comes out to bat

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 11:01 GMT)

@TommytuckerSaffa I understand your point mate. But Sehwag is way past his prime. Gambhir's form has eluded him since CWC 2011. Gambhir was technically and mentally strong during 2008-2011 but after that he has lost it. But he can still make it once he regains his form. Regarding Dhawan just give him 10-15 tests more. Tours of England and Australia will confirm everything. Whether he is cut for this level or not. All I am saying is give him time. That's all. Amla avg in 30s in his first 20 matches or so but look at him. He is one of the best players in the world. If not the best. Because he plays spin better than ABD. I am not saying Dhawan will become another Amla but 70% of him will be better.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 10:53 GMT)

haha well said yousufahmed :) sl fans please try keep silence coz its quite easy to sketch that ur brains are out of order.lots of people reading ur comments r having their day. thanks guys . ok we will sum up- kushal per era is a legend--- thirimanne wow another legend--- and plenty of upcoming legends,angelo-ashaaan etc etc. coz these guys stay on field for about 50 overs , hats off :)

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (March 11, 2014, 10:36 GMT)

@linguboy I will say it again. Dharwan is a flat tracker and hugely overrated. Gambir and Sehwag are miles better than him. Even some of your fellow Indian compatriots will agree.

Posted by the.ruffian on (March 11, 2014, 10:24 GMT)

He has got loads of talent no doubt abt it..bt like every other Indian star he tends to get complacent after a 'good' knock. All those calling him a flat deck bully..he played a major role in that epic chase against australia..yes it was a flat deck bt it still had to be done!! and mind u aus had a decent bowling attack in that series.. its good to see he is learnin from his mistakes and has that intent to do well outside asia.. rohit is a big worry..i cant wait to see him gettin dropped 'yet again' and pujara makin a cut in the odis. I wont tinker much with the test batting line up..probably give manish tiwari a chance ahead of rohit or rahane.. the bowlin is a big worry as well..munaf bowled well against baroda in yesterdays domestic match..atm shami seems like the only wicket takin bowler. I say we need to give more chances to umesh yadav and mohit sharma..ishant is useless.. he should be told that he wont be entertained unless he gets a haircut!!

Posted by rajcl on (March 11, 2014, 10:23 GMT)

SO ALL SL FANS dont interfear all topics .this is about dhawan why r u draging others & other sports, just talk cricket & just react what is question ,,, poor fellows

Posted by Oracle_Magus on (March 11, 2014, 10:15 GMT)

A Swinging new ball is tough to negotiate even for the best in the world and Shikar took up the responsibility to see off the new ball in all formats for our country. In SA and NZ pitches with the experienced opening bowlers this difficulty as an opener is magnified. Shikar, like Sehwag is a naturally attacking player, he needs to control his aggression, but not change his style of playing. He seems to be struggling when he tries to play a defensive game. In the present Indian team, we have Virat, Pujara and Rahane who is capable of playing in the first gear. Virat is cable or changing gears anytime, where as Pujara looks best when he is on the first gear. And Rahane comes somewhere between the two. Every player should stick to their strengths to bring out their optimum. Trying to change their natural style is what gets Shikar, Rohit and others into trouble. Be it ODI or tests Shikar needs to play the each delivery on its merit and punish the loose balls every time.

Posted by Yousufahmed1 on (March 11, 2014, 10:00 GMT)

@ CricketFever11 LOL. I agree if Shikhar wants to be a Legend then he should only perform on colombo track and should bring his average down to 33.33 and he should be able to stand on the field for 50 overs . He would be a Legend then. I know its a tough ask. Or he can also be like that Nanga guy, play 122 test matches and score only 4 100s outside Sub continent then only he will be a colombo track bully LEGEND. Hail the true Legends of the game. HAHA.

Posted by vipinchirackal on (March 11, 2014, 9:57 GMT)

@maruthudelftstop bragging about sangakkara.he is just an average player.he can get form only when playing with inferior bowling attack like india and bengladesh.since sreelanka doesnt have any other better batsman still he continues there.then about track medal.still talking about one track medal.remember india had the best athket in asia one time.pt usha.they are way ahead of sreelanka in all form of atheltis like commonwealth,asian and olympic games medal talley.sreelanka cant even be compared with india who won more than 12 olympic golds so far

Posted by Yousufahmed1 on (March 11, 2014, 9:56 GMT)

@ CricketFever11 Yes Sanga is the world famous cricketer in Sri Lanka. So what if he never gets mentioned by former legends of different teams, so what they only argue between Lara, Sachin and ponting. It doesn't matter, sanga has 19 centuries after playing only 362 matches and has a great average of 40 but some kohli guy has only 19 centuries after playing a whopping 131 matches and has an ordinary average of 52. We don't care. we have never had a cricketer who averages over 41 in ODIs ever. coz we don't care. Sanga is the God of cricket. Since his debut SL has not won a single test series outside SL. Real God of cricket. Even Mahela is Lord of Lords, his average after 400 odis is breathtaking 33.33 and 16 centuries. Similar to Sir Jadeja's batting average. What a playa.

Posted by Yousufahmed1 on (March 11, 2014, 9:55 GMT)

@ electric_loco_WAP4 Definition of a Legend in Sri Lanka. Anyone who can stand on the field for 50 overs and has an average of around 30 is a Legend. LEGEND OF THE GAME.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 9:40 GMT)

@Nikko Chunn He is talking about tests. In SA he failed in both tests due to that pull shot. But he corrected that in NZ. He didn't play pull shot early in his innings but played later on only choosing which ball to play. Its a huge improvement in 1 month you know. 215 runs in 2 tests not enough from an opener means you simply don't know about cricket. ODIs he failed immensly. whole team was disappointing in the ODIs. It was Kholi's wicket in the 1st test that changed the momentum of the whole match not Dhawan's.

Posted by CricketFever11 on (March 11, 2014, 9:36 GMT)

Very strong player. Lol....... Provided he is given a flat deck............

Posted by Yousufahmed1 on (March 11, 2014, 9:30 GMT)

@ MaruthuDelft Sanga is a marvelous player indeed. Since this "LEGENDS" debut in 2000 Sl has won all the test series outside SL. What a playa. And the other LEGEND Mahela, he is the lord of lords. His batting average after playing over 400 matches is close to SIR Jadeja. Sir of Sirs. Lions lead the way. LOL.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 9:29 GMT)

@Coolcapricorn It would be foolish to make Rahane open in tests. ODIs, yes, maybe a chance. Tests, NO WAY. He has a problem with incoming delivery for which he will be bullied if he opens as the ball is new and it will seam and swing initially. Adding to that he is just now settling in his no.6 position and nobody in their right minds will change the position of a player settling in and looking comfortable. Remember JOE ROOT??? He was bossing teams at no.6 but his position changed and everything fell apart. Vijay did well in SA but fell to 3 good balls in NZ. 1 Poor shot. As I mentioned earlier leave the batting as it is, it will fire as a team sooner rather than latter. Focus on BOWLING. Get Umesh Yadav back in form. give him the new ball along with Shami. Leave them unchanged for 5 tests. We are playing 4 bowlers so no room for containing option in spinner. All of them should be wicket taking bowlers. Sooner the management realises this the better it will be.

Posted by blthndr on (March 11, 2014, 9:24 GMT)

only played 7 tests (3 home & 4 away) test so far and people start to compare.....just give some time (means more test i am nt talking about Odis) u can judge better after England and Australia tour.....

@Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (March 11, 2014, 8:09 GMT)......dont be rush just look at ur best batsman AB....even he blossomed after played more than 30 test matches dont u remember he started as an opener bt after series of failure against AUS he dropped down the order....

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 9:22 GMT)

He didn't go that well.... however if he did, about six kiwis were playing sublimely... Dhawan going slow and getting out hurt them in the ODI series and during one of the tests. Yes, he, Kohli and Dhoni were their best... but everything is relative.

Posted by Iceman29 on (March 11, 2014, 9:08 GMT)

@MaruthuDelft and my fellow Indian fans...this is an article about Dhawan. Now why the heck do you guys want to discuss about Ind population and olympic medals in this forum? To some SL fans who are bragging about their team for sometime now....SL or no Asian team is going to win this world cup am sure you all guys know you own team's strength and weakness and everyone will agree with that..so just support your own teams and try to respect other teams as well..

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 9:06 GMT)

@ electric_loco_WAP4 Really?? Johnson terrorized Shikar??? He scored 284 runs @ 48 with 1 century against Johnson. I will take that anyday in an ODI. FYI Dhawan faced Ajmal in only 1 match in England and he didn't get out to him. He scored 94 before getting out to Mendis. Really if you concede 90 runs to take his wicket then you are not good at all. right?? How's your Hafeez doing??? I think he's terrorized on hearing the name of STEYN. how many wickets did your fast bowlers took in the Asia cup??? World's best fast bowlers, my foot.

Posted by Coolcapricorn on (March 11, 2014, 9:01 GMT)

Thought Dhawan learned quickly in adapting when playing abroad & so started making runs. With the higher bounce you get abroad, he learned to be more patient & selective in his shots despite being a naturally attacking batsman. Therefore he deserves a lot of plaudits and think he will only get better the more experience he gets in playing abroad. The problem has really been with our other opening slot in both Tests + ODI's as both Vijay & Rohit have struggled. Both take too many balls to get going & then if they get out early without scoring much, it doesn't do much for the team - particularly in ODI's. A possible solution is for Rahane to partner Dhawan in both Tests & ODI's as we saw in the last match of the Asia Cup. It would a real backward step going back to either Gambhir or Sehwag as some blinkered & nostalgic fans keep on suggesting.

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (March 11, 2014, 8:41 GMT)

The way SD was terrorised on dead Ind pitches by Moitch J-he has done in far better players by the way-shows class-or lack thereof.Even on rel. flattish pitches in SA was exposed by Steyn,co.Was no better in Asia Cup where he had no clue vs Mendis/Ajmal.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 8:41 GMT)

@MaruthuDelft Really?? You want to pick a certain event to belittle others??? Individual medal counts doesn't matter which field it comes from. We won medals from other fields and our overall count is better than yours. Regarding Sanga, Weren't you guys accusing him of playing for money and showing disrespect to your country while choosing club teams?? We had a Olympic gold winning hockey teams for 8 years like WIs of 1980s. We fell from the top like WIs but we are getting up. We have won 3 ICC trophies in last 7 years, What did you win??? We have a world chess champion and 2 players in top 10 in Badminton. In 2010 Commonwealth games we won 101 medals, SL won 2 medals enough said.

Posted by ravi_hari on (March 11, 2014, 8:29 GMT)

It is good to see new comers wiiling to learn and improve. Dhawan knows he has no competition at the moment. I dont think selectors are looking beyond Dhawan for the opener's slot. His partners might change in each format but he remains very much there. However, that should not get to his head. He should play every innings as if it were his last. He showed remarkable hunger for runs in his first series. But later gave the impression of a man in hurry. I dont think Dhawan has shed his aggression completely. Yet, the change from SA to NZ is visible and is welcome. He just needs to learn to build partnerships and respect his partner. He should also impress upon his partner especially Rohit that rotating strike is the best way to build an innings. He should also contribute on the field as he is one of the experienced in the side now. He is one of the few members playing in all three formats at the same position, so is very vital to the team. If he realises that it would be great for India.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 8:28 GMT)

@TommytuckerSaffa Then what about Duminy, Elgar and Peterson.A ???? Elgar and Peterson opening for SA??? How the mighty have fallen!!! If there's no Steyn opposition will score 500 against SA. Don't mock others rebuilding has started for your team too. Devilliers is a poor captain in ODIs God knows how good he will be in Tests.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 8:12 GMT)

@Rohit Ramesh See there lies the problem. Pitches during the A-team tour were Flat. everybody scored 100s with ease. And facing Steyn and Morkel are different than facing any other bowlers. Morkel made Clarke(apt on playing bouncy tracks) look like kid in the 3rd test. Our batsman coped well this time even though this their 1st tour. He already improved 50% from SA tour so he will learn as he plays more. Leave the Batting as it is right now focus on the bowling. Give our spinners more exposure to Kookaburra and hard pitches. Let them learn the trade. SG and Kookaburra are two different daemons unless you play more you never learn. Please get Umesh Yadav to the 1st team in tests and make him bowl more. Only way you will learn is by playing more not by sitting on the bench. Zaheer won't last 3 tests let alone 5. Play him when needed. If we trail 0-2 in England then there's no use of Zaheer. Play youngsters instead.

Posted by TommytuckerSaffa on (March 11, 2014, 8:09 GMT)

Gambir is miles better than this guy. Dharwan is a totally overrated flat-tracker.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 7:50 GMT)

@JustIPL I am just fed up of these comments like Pitch eased up, he played in afternoon sessions etc., A test match century is always worth irrespective of the time period it came. New Ball always swings in NZ for 25 overs atleast combined with the skill set of Southee and Boult its always difficult for an opener to score runs let alone score a century. He batted on 1st day evening and 2nd day morning in the 2nd test for which the track was green and lively for the 1st 2 days. He scored 98 and he scored century in the 1st test under pressure of chasing 430. Irrespective of your views he learnt a lot from SA and he implemented it successfully. More experienced England team can't win in NZ last time but less experienced Indian team were in winning positions in both the tests and dominated 2nd test for 3 days were proof for the giant steps this team is making. Once we can make Umesh Yadav fit and firing and find form then we will be ready for England this year.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 7:47 GMT)

He says he learnt a lot but he went on an A tour to South Africa just before the series. Thats where all the learning should have been done. Come the test series he should have been performing. That said he is a lot better than Gambhir and Sehwag were in 2011. I don't think there was a game where we went to 10th over without loosing a wicket. Leave him in the team and he can hopefully improve.

Posted by rajcl on (March 11, 2014, 7:44 GMT)

@ Max_Power17 , apart fom indian bowling williams & taylor never consistance

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 7:38 GMT)

@GRVJPR Yes we are capable of creating chances but how many??? If our bowlers create 2 chances for a particular batsman Steyn and co will produce 4. So even though you drop catches you can say confidently that they will create more chances. Can you say the same about Indian bowlers??? Our bowlers lose confidence once a catch is dropped but I have seen Steyn going to 5th gear once a catch is dropped. You can tell that he is hurting and he wants that wicket. I can't say that about Indian bowlers. Regarding Kholi's captaincy He captained in Subcontinent conditions. Spinners provided breakthroughs in the middle overs which made his job easier. the problem is our spinners don't pick up wickets overseas to create pressure. You need to create chances to demand attacking field placements. Spinners created chances in Asia cup so the fields became attacking automatically. MSD defended 160 last year against Pak in Delhi because his bowlers created chances and hence attacking fields.

Posted by sergio11 on (March 11, 2014, 7:37 GMT)

@CricketFever11...who said he is bradman.?? no one said...he failed terrible in SA..but in the green tops of NZ..he score a 115 followed it up with a 96..the 96 inng, ball was moving like a boomerang...he just played 7 test,2 centuries in ENG..back to back..and this performance in NZ..better than some Colombo legends already..lol @rohanblue ...taking nothing away from Gambir's 126 in NZ..but this time around the pitches were much different...even Ishant got 5 wicket haults 2 times lol..Gambir 126 came in the 2nd inng..generally back there wickets go falt in 2nd inng..his 96 in Basen reserve was a quality inng...and the current NZ bowling attack is 10 times stronger than previous attacks..those bolwers on a green top,scoring 96...got to admit his ability..

Posted by Alexk400 on (March 11, 2014, 7:30 GMT)

Dhawan should learn to grind like sachin tendulkar. I find dk has more skill than anyone but his shot selection is bad. But dawan so far in honeymoon period. If he stops bravado , he can be useful and can play long time. You have to be useful first before hitting big shots. Grind for 50 and open up. I think key for opener is rotate and running between wickets. if you try to hit particular direction the you always wastes ball and put too much pressere. Just keep nudging to 3rd man for 50. less risky. gavaskar was great in defense , but he was ANTI cricket fan like boycott was. Snoozefest. So if you are best runner between wickets then you obviously has fit body. Thats first before any skill.

Posted by JustIPL on (March 11, 2014, 7:22 GMT)

If he is referring to the century in india then everyone knows how flat it was. In NZ both his innings came in afternoon sessions at a time when wicket eased up. On facing the track first he was not successful. Only good thing he is not just hitting through now and becoming more of an accumulator. He is better than Gambhir as he hangs on there and also scores when nohit sharma is sleeping.

Posted by CricketFever11 on (March 11, 2014, 6:54 GMT)

After making one century, talking like Bradmon. Admit the fact that they are overrated players.

Posted by rohanblue on (March 11, 2014, 6:51 GMT)

most over rated player , even gambhir scored a century in last nz tour which saved the match and we won the series last time, gambhir is a way better option than Dhawan....

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (March 11, 2014, 6:50 GMT)

@Albert_Campbell: I have seen your posts supporting Pakistan on many occasions. Have some guts and admit you are a Pakistani instead of pretending to be South African. Secondly, Dhawan is a very talented player who is still relatively new to international cricket. He's learning his trade and this interview goes to show his class and maturity. Something which MANY players around the world lack.

Posted by Dalibunga on (March 11, 2014, 6:49 GMT)

Almost sick of reading some indian fans' non-stop comments such as "India were without Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina, Gambhir, Zaheer and many more". Is it international conspiracy worked to sack them from team? Except Dhoni, non of them performed well in recent past, they cant even walked into Afgan team with their latest form. It was BCCI throw them out of the team to prove in domestic level again/back to form.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:43 GMT)

next best batsman in indian line up after kohli...hope will fill up sehwag shoes...go dhawan go

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:31 GMT)

GRVJPR@ I completely agree with you.. kohli was more attackin in field placings but we didnt have much option in the last 2 overs

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:23 GMT)

@Jose Puliampatta : completely agree with you. Dhawan-Rohit combination wont be a successful one. Rohit takes lot of time to settle down and run rate goes down and that makes Dhawan under pressure and he tries loose shots and gets out. Gambhir is the best opening batsmen available in India now. Dont know for what reason is Murali Vijay selected over him. Dont forget his contribution to many matches that india won. He should be back in the team.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:21 GMT)

I wonder what was thi guy MelbourneMiracle thinking

Dude you know Abhinav Bindra? Vijender Singh? Leander Peas? Marry Com? Saina Nehiwal? and many more

They all won olympic medals

and when it comes to cricket

Do you know Sachin Tendulkar, he is from India

Without India cricket can't survive Be thankful that BCCI give those stupid tours to your country which you always lose so that your board can pay your so called legends.

India were without Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina, Gambhir, Zaheer and many more

Be thank ful to India

Cric Info publish

Posted by Iceman29 on (March 11, 2014, 6:21 GMT)

Wong Article at the wrong time when India is loosing everything nowadays...His batting style has changed drastically...he is a natural aggressive player but he has completely changed his batting style due to his failures...on the other Hand Rohit Sharma's batting also is making a huge impact in his batting style...Rohit is not fit as opener..he will only make things complicated and we already lost so many matches due to his slow starts...we definitely need aggressive batsmen as openers...

Posted by Cricfever_PM on (March 11, 2014, 6:15 GMT)

Dhawan have surely improved after the SA tour and his experience in first class helping him lot, he scored close to 5k runs before coming to international competition. He has to keep his form to play at any condition like Virat. Virat doesn't have prior 1st class experience but he has improved lot with his experience!!

Posted by caldruid on (March 11, 2014, 6:07 GMT)

If dhawan had some sense he would let his bat do the talking and not be granting interviews willy-nilly. Just two overseas tours and he thinks he is mature. Its interviews like this that hype these players. One longs for the days when Dravid played...

Posted by sergio11 on (March 11, 2014, 6:06 GMT)

@MelbourneMiracle...lol...last 3 summer olympics how many medals does SL won..???..ZERO..and tlking about olympics and sports...SL knows one thing..Cricket..and didnt managed to produce a single world class batsman yet....when was the last time SL won a major Competition?? i cannt remember...Won a local Asia cup in the subconient and claiming u guys are world champs....atleast tlk after winning a test series in IND..in india the conditions are very similar to that in SL..still still still...god...how pitty huh???

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 6:04 GMT)

Dhawan is only a brief phenomenon. If at all he played longer, he will still not be among India's top Batsmen to play well in International conditions.

Posted by GRVJPR on (March 11, 2014, 6:00 GMT)

@linguboy, That shows team is capable of creating chances. Drop catches are part of game, but where MS Dhoni goes wrong is that he completely backs off. Virat Kohli kept fielders in attacking positions despite drop catches and India fought till the 50th over despite scores of under 250. When was the last time you saw team making a match competitive with 250 to defend. MS Dhoni looks vulnerable even while defending 350!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:48 GMT)

@melbournemiracle: susanthika jaysinghe?? how did she come into the picture to an article related to cricket. But since u asked, have u heard about Milkha singh or Dhyan chand who is considered almost a god in hockey, somewhat like pele in football. I am not even gonna name others since I dont think u know a lot about sports, olympics and world titles... Talking about dhawan, find someone in SL who has a record comparable to him and then u can speak against him.

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 5:48 GMT)

@Albert_cambell Whole world knows you are not South African. Please come out of hiding behind some other nationality. Its pathetic to say the least. There's nothing wrong in supporting one team and hate some other team but to hide under as some other fan is embarrassing to say the least. Be proud of your nation mate. Ind_Cric_Lover He is not a South African by any means. Don't waste your time responding to these Imposters.

Posted by Maverick2 on (March 11, 2014, 5:47 GMT)

Dhawan is a good cricketer who consistent performed in the ipl to wear the indian cap. However he will struggle till he founds a stable opening partner India s desperate attempt to promote rohit as a opening partner cost dhawan dearly. Rohit is surely is not an opening material. Most of the time dhawan has to score at a high run rate thus adding too much pressure on him resulting in false shot. surely everybody knows that indian lobby is not open to suggestion, but he has open his mouth, else his demise will be of without his own fault

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 5:42 GMT)

@Gaurrav Sethi Don't blame captain blame the fielders and bowlers. You can't drop catches on flat pitches. See England dropped 3 catches of Amla and he scored 300. SA dropped Warner nearly 7 times and they paid the price for that. India dropped catches of Williamson and McCullum in both tests and theey paid the price. Captain can't be blamed for that. We don't have Steyn to create chance after chance to say that even after dropping one you can say other will come. Our bowling is poor so its important the fielders back them whenever they create those chances. But major set back is slip catching also comes with experience which our team doesn't have right now. So let's hope they work on that and be patient.

Posted by asymbal on (March 11, 2014, 5:36 GMT)

@MelbourneMiracle: Really? You're going to boast about one athlete? How about producing a world chess champion? A formula one driver? A multi-Olympic gold winning hockey team? An all-England badminton champion... or three? An Olympic medal winning tennis player? Or multiple Grand Slam winners in doubles? Or an Olympic medal winning boxer? Or a Top 3 female badminton player? Your ignorance is blinding! Go ahead, celebrate your trifling Asia Cup win. It's the only thing you've won of any significance in the last 8 years! Have you won any tournament of any significance outside the subcontinent, by the way?

Posted by Cricdew on (March 11, 2014, 5:36 GMT)

@Ashker.....But he is too better than your mediocre openers

Posted by linguboy on (March 11, 2014, 5:29 GMT)

Abhijeth_Manohar Jeez. Relax man. Don't compare 2012 season with this team man. Two different teams. One past sellby date and another Inexperienced. You have to give them another season before judging them. They now know what they need to know to score runs on foreign pitches. Give them time to work on that and let's see if they can implement that during the game. Patience is virtue my dear friend. These guys put lot of fight in their first tour compared to past teams in their 1st tour. Yes ODI results are disappointing but what do you expect when we have a bowler who played 20 ODIs as our spearhead. I think Tri series in Australia later this year will determine where we stand in our Worldcup defence. We are looking good for 2019 WC rather than 2015 but you never know. Youngsters Can achieve things you never expect them from them.

Posted by prady5688 on (March 11, 2014, 5:27 GMT)

We all are typical Indian fan.Keep faith and support them and expect less.our team is much inexperienced.Give them some time vijay-23 test,dhawan-7 test,pujara-17 test,kohli-22 test,rahane-7 test,rohit-6 test,shami-6 test,bhuvi-6 test,jadeja-6 test,ashwin-20 test plz look the stat of all big players of the world. they all have taken some time to settle.

Posted by Ind_cric_lover on (March 11, 2014, 5:26 GMT)

@Albert_cambell yes he doesn't have great technique but he has confidence and willingness to work hard. Those virtues would definitely benefit him & India in the long run. If such batsmen are found in every street of Durban & Jo'burg then what are Duminy, elgar, Petersen doing in this SA team ? SA has such brittle batting bcoz of these 3. Now Smith is also gone so hw long can Steyn, DeVilliers & Amla take the entire burden ?

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:15 GMT)

Another IPL BULLY! They should have easily won all the games against the ranked 7 NZ. These guys worry about showman-ship and not about playing for India.

Posted by prady5688 on (March 11, 2014, 5:14 GMT)

@albert cambell If the players like dhawan,rohit,raina are found on your Johannesburg street then u all would have won at least one world champion title.plz don't blame luck. For winning a big title u dont need big players but a team effort will make u a champion.i know that they are not great like ABD,Amla,Kallis but they are player who all are made for big occasions

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:14 GMT)

@Sagar543, Oh, so you are getting impatient with this young team. It is as if seniors or past legends were winning series after series overseas. These guys put India in strong winning positions. Not there fault that there captain is useless.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:13 GMT)

I am still not confident about Rohit-Dhavan combo, as an opening pair. The former takes too much time to settle down and can't take singles. The latter is still unpredictable. He has a tendency to play a Veeru (e.g. upper-cut), or Gouti (e.g. the infamous Gouti Poke), irrespective of the situation.

Unless we find a pair of openers for batting, AND a pair of openers (I mean pacers) for bowling, we are in a spot of bother! How long the 3 or batsmen and a WK alone can carry the team?

I a not belittling Bhuvi & Shami. They are good only in favorable conditions. We need a pair of "all-weather" medium fast bowlers (of course with radars properly fitted in).

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:08 GMT)

@Abhijeth_Manohar, Why he needs to keep his mouth shut. He is Indian national player and worked hard to get there. No one gifted his his place. It's your time to Shut Up!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:06 GMT)

@Max_Power17 , Kane williamson, I would love to see how many he scores on real turners. Shikar has done well. If 2 hundres out of 4 innings is not consistency in game of cricket than you know nothing about it. It is a game of 1 ball for batsmen, You won't understand it.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 5:04 GMT)

@sams235 WHat;s wrong with aggression. Virender Sehwag was as aggresive as it gets, but he was the only one who scored almost 3 triple centuries. Calm people like dravid, tendulkar, gavaskar came no where near scoring 300's.

Posted by sams235 on (March 11, 2014, 4:50 GMT)

The problem with him is his aggression. He needs to tame it a bit...once he does that, it will work wonders.

Posted by sundersingh on (March 11, 2014, 4:49 GMT)

dont do it by words, we need action on the field. fingers crossed

Posted by Max_Power17 on (March 11, 2014, 4:45 GMT)

Typical one-sided Indian Cricket article. Dhawan's scores in the tests in NZ were 0, 115,98,2. Two good scores + 2 complete failures. He scored 81 runs from four innings in the ODI series. Apart from two scores, he was terrible. I would rather have someone consistent like Kane Williamson or Ross Taylor than some slogger who either gets 100 or gets a duck.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 4:21 GMT)

I don't know which lean patch people talk about. 3 centuries in 10 innings and couple of 90's aren't bad for a career 10 innings longs and most of those innings played in unfamiliar conditions against likes of steyn and compnay.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 4:15 GMT)

But still we need a quality opener who can grind it out in foreign condtions in most of the times,& best available choice is surely Gambhir...

Posted by Abhijeth_Manohar on (March 11, 2014, 4:08 GMT)

Keep your mouth shut and let your batting and fielding do the talking.. God, how much this Indian team talks and how much they actually perform. Ppl are getting fed up. What was that "We won so many series, and of course we saw a bit of down time too." Bit of a down time..hahahaha..dude, how many years ago did you guys win anything outside the sub continent? We're talking years not days , weeks or months.

This does not feel like a team, everyone is playing for himself which works very well in the sub-continent however this strategy backfires very badly outside. There is no chance this Indian team will even make the semi-finals of the World Cup next year

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 3:54 GMT)

You gotta love this guy's determination to perform on the big stage.One of the best openers going around in international cricket today.

Posted by Anil_Koshy on (March 11, 2014, 3:53 GMT)

Dhawan has proved that like all previous Indian openers, he is also a flat pitch hero, post Gavaskar era India only 2 good openers in Sehwag and Gambhir. his record in India is good, but his performance in South Africa and New Zealand was pathetic. He started on a very promising note but his inconsistency proved that he is not a long term solution.

Posted by Albert_cambell on (March 11, 2014, 3:52 GMT)

Nothing special about him. He looked clueless against us in SA. He is just an average batsman who bats well on flat tracks. Batsman like him can be found on every streets of Durban and Johannesburg.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 3:51 GMT)

Sehwag and Gambhir averaged above 50+ in domestics and for a while above 50+ in Tests for a while. If Sehwag and Gambhir are going to dip in Tests, then all others are whose. India tried 10 openers in the 90s and 2000s. Technique is a factor but Sehwag was purely had hand-eye cordination.

We may never get a Sehwag as an opener. Before he retires we need him till we get Jiwanjot Singh, but needs to average above 55+ to have any success. When Sachin was in ODI opener, GG batted one down, and which should be tried out as Dhawan Sehwag and Gambhir at the top order before they retire.

Dhawan needs a spot but we have 2 LH openers in Gambhir and Dhawan and hence we need Sehwag to fill the spot right now. The T20 is now gone to the dust but we have hope if Dhoni can bring back after the T20 or maybe Gambhir has 5 more years still remaning to play as a Captain and opener or one down.

Posted by IrfanMemon786 on (March 11, 2014, 3:50 GMT)

lets hope u will give us good start in upcoming T20 matches.

Posted by Sagar543 on (March 11, 2014, 3:49 GMT)

Out of these young players, there are going to be lots of future legends? Whom ?R ohit,Ishant,Ashwin in all formats and dhoni in tests rt?It has been 3 tours and not even one imp win.

Posted by vish2020 on (March 11, 2014, 3:43 GMT)

Here comes Indian batsman news so.. here comes the haters army lol it's getting so old its not even funny anymore. oh well, dhawan you are a great talent and all the best in t20 worldcup. bring it home sirji and let the trophy chill with its cousin the 50 over trophy sitting nicely in mumbai!!

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 3:31 GMT)

But still we need an opener who can grind it out in foreign condtions in most of the times and best available choice is Surely Gambhir...

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 3:23 GMT)

Nice dhawan, always good to have your opener in form. Looking forward to him as a set opener in all the three games.

Posted by MelbourneMiracle on (March 11, 2014, 3:22 GMT)

Correction: "We lost a lot of series, we won a few too"

Posted by Greatest_Game on (March 11, 2014, 3:22 GMT)

Steyn and Morkel can't wait to "set him back" once again! Every quick now knows his weakness against the short ball. He has a lifetime of bouncers to look forward to. That is, when he is playing on real pitches …...

Posted by forzaps on (March 11, 2014, 3:18 GMT)

"Dhawan better off after SA 'setback' Introspection helped him thrive in NZ, says India batsman "

I think you mean a lower quality bowling attack made him thrive in NZ

Posted by mwjay on (March 11, 2014, 2:57 GMT)

yes,its good to keep their momentum and the so called "big 3" world domination at least by putting articles at a time they loose all their matches play on other than flat tracks.

Posted by   on (March 11, 2014, 2:48 GMT)

Dhawan has a gr8 range of shots,i still remember his century against newzeland what a classy century was that especially the hook shot wow! i have never seen any batsman play like that..he attacked too much in South Africa that is why he failed but in newzeland he was sensible that is why he succeeded...he is the dangerman from india in this wT20...beware of this man Australia

ESPNcricinfo staffClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
8th Match, Group A: Super Kings v Dolphins at Bangalore
Sep 22, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
10th Match, Group A: KKR v Scorchers at Hyderabad (Deccan)
Sep 24, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
11th Match, Group A: Super Kings v Lahore Lions at Bangalore
Sep 25, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
13th Match, Group B: Kings XI v Northern D at Mohali
Sep 26, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
15th Match, Group A: Super Kings v Scorchers at Bangalore
Sep 27, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »