Raina denies Modi's corruption allegations
Suresh Raina has denied allegations made by former IPL chairman Lalit Modi that he had received bribes from an Indian businessman. In a statement issued by his management team Rhiti Sports, Raina insisted he had "never been involved in any wrongdoing", and said he was considering legal action against Modi.
"In the wake of recent media reports about me, I would like to make my fans around the world aware and clear the air that I have always played the game in right spirit and with utmost integrity," the statement said. "I have never been involved in any wrongdoing and all allegations against me are false. Playing cricket is my passion for whichever team I have represented. I'm also figuring out my legal rights to take the right steps ahead in this matter."
Modi, in a letter to ICC chief executive David Richardson in October 2013, had said he had been informed that the three cricketers - Raina, Ravindra Jadeja and Dwayne Bravo - had received houses and cash from a businessman involved in real estate, who, Modi's letter had alleged, was also a bookie. The ICC confirmed receiving Modi's complaint and stated that the ACSU handled that information in accordance with its standard operating procedures, which included sharing it with the BCCI's anti-corruption unit.
On Monday, the BCCI said they had not received any new information from the ICC and hence believed the players had been given a clean chit.
"The follow-up is there is nothing in that," BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur said. "If they had found something, they would have reported it back to us. If there is nothing from the ICC on it, it has to be a clean chit."