Features FeaturesRSS FeedFeeds

Courage, desire and gritted teeth

Three months after the horrific attack that nearly crippled him, Thilan Samaraweera is ready to play top-flight cricket again

Nagraj Gollapudi

June 8, 2009

Thilan Samaraweera watches an inter-provincial Twenty20 match, SSC, Colombo, March 26, 2009
Samaraweera still doesn't "like to talk about it - not even with family or friends" © AFP

"Please Daddy, don't go to practice. That naughty uncle will shoot again." Sidhtya said to her father the first time she saw him put his Sri Lanka uniform on again. "I couldn't stop smiling. I told her, 'This is Sri Lanka, don't worry about that,'" Thilan Samaraweera says.

On March 3 this year, the Sri Lankan team bus was attacked by armed terrorists as it made its way to the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore. The players were not aware of the mayhem outside till their driver shouted at them to "go down, go down" after the tyres of the bus were punctured. Bullets flashed in all directions; one caught Samaraweera in the left thigh, a hand's length from the knee.

"After 10 minutes of being shot the numbness set in," Samaraweera reminisces. His first question to the Pakistani doctors arriving at the scene was if he would ever play cricket again. "They told me the bullet was stuck close to the knee. They said neither my nerves nor bones were damaged, so I would definitely play again." Still, he didn't believe them entirely. "I thought they were lying to me." It wasn't until the next day, back in Colombo, where he was admitted to the Nawalokha hospital that Samaraweera calmed down. "Once our [Lankan] doctors reassured me after removing the bullet, I got confident."

The following four weeks were enormously difficult for Samaraweera's family. "The first week was terrible," he says. Despite living in a country that had been mired in a civil war for over two decades, he says he had never been witness to any shootings or bombings.

He appeared to be doing well on the outside with his recovery, but a blanket of fear had wrapped itself around his subconscious. "There would be some firecrackers outside the hospital which would terrify me. I would wake up in the middle of night scared," says Samaraweera, who couldn't sleep for more than two hours at a stretch during the first week after the attack.

"I would dream of different things and the events of March 3 would come back. I would sit up suddenly. It would take about 15 minutes for my wife to help me settle down." Erandathi Darshana stayed by her husband's bedside continuously for three weeks and endured virtually the same amount of stress as her husband. "Fortunately, both our families took care of my two daughters," Samaraweera says. His elder daughter Osuni, eight years old, was allowed by her school to stay at home for a while.

The shock stayed with the family for a month. "But once I started walking, their nerves eased," Samaraweera says. After three weeks in the hospital, he moved to his in-laws' house, and a week later to his own, and that's when everyone settled down.

"After the first week I could move the leg and started to walk with the help of crutches for three to four weeks," Samaraweera remembers. After a month he started to take a few steps without any help. This was followed by walking up and down the stairs. The Samaraweeras had a "little holiday" during the Sinhalese New Year in the second week of April, going on "small outings".

The physiotherapy sessions designed by Tommy Simsek and Jade Roberts, Sri Lankan team's physio and trainer, helped a great deal. Simsek had one-on-one sessions with Samaraweera for the first two weeks, then Roberts took over and worked with him in the gym, carrying out particular exercises to strengthen the leg muscles.

"I was really surprised with his determination to get back to 100% fitness after going through such an incident," Roberts says. He is optimistic about Samaraweera getting back to complete fitness soon, and does not rule out him playing in the forthcoming home series against Pakistan.

"It has not changed me, really. It is not the biggest thing in my life. It could have happened to any person, not only a sportsman"

Fellow players visited him (and the six others who were admitted to the hospital). Muttiah Muralitharan, Samaraweera's best friend in the team, was very worried initially and called frequently from South Africa, where he was playing in the IPL. He would ask Samaraweera if he (Murali) was bowling well. "If you are bowling four overs for 20 runs, why you are asking if you are good?" Samaraweera would tease. His favourite IPL team is Chennai, he says, but he denies it has anything to do with his friendship with Murali.

"No one said to leave cricket," Samaraweera laughs, when I ask if anyone in his family suggested he forget the game after the attack. "My family was emotional, and they were really happy the first day I walked without crutches. They were really happy…" He remains silent for a minute.

It is difficult for him to revisit the incident. In fact, this is the first interview where he has opened up as much as he has done. He consulted three psychologists, who recommended that he overcome his fear by revealing every minor detail.

Samaraweera can count himself lucky to be back playing the game so soon. Other sportsmen have found it difficult to come to terms with life after being struck down by similar injuries. Monica Seles is the most prominent case of an athlete who suffered after a similar life-threatening incident. She never regained the form that had elevated to world No. 1 after she was stabbed by a deranged devotee of her chief rival, Steffi Graf, during a 1993 tennis tournament in Hamburg. Seles later admitted that the stress of not playing in the wake of the attack led to an eating disorder.

"I don't like to talk about it in general, not even with my family or friends, as I'm uncomfortable psychologically," Samaraweera says.

Didn't the sessions with the psychologist have a positive effect? "After a point it was really frustrating to talk about the same thing," he says. "I just wanted to go home and spend time with the family and kids. I didn't want to talk about the past. I just wanted to move forward."

Another thing he wanted to do after getting back on his feet was to hold a bat. "I wanted to bat immediately." The last week of April was the first time he held a bat, during an indoor nets session. He faced 10-15 deliveries; the physio had told him not to go beyond that.

"My first feeling was that I was scared about the front foot [tightly bandaged at the time], which is the most important movement for a right-hand batsman. I felt a little uncomfortable in the left knee." Two days later he hit some more balls and things started getting back to normal.

Thilan Samaraweera acknowledges the crowd's applause after getting a double-century, Pakistan v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, 2nd day, March 2, 2009
Before the storm: Samaraweera makes a double-century, the day before the attack © AFP

He will play his first practice game in a week's time, followed by another a week later. He hopes that if he manages to return to normal fitness, he will have a chance of playing in the tour game against Pakistan, before the first Test on July 4.

"I really believe I can play, because if I play the first Test it will be my 50th," he says. If he does manage to do so, really would be an occasion to celebrate. It is a challenge Samaraweera is up for, according to Roberts. "He is really, really motivated and keen to succeed and is showing that in how he trains and works out every day."

It probably safe to say that what athletes fear most is being kept away from their sport. It's underlined when Samaraweera talks of how he is raring to get going again, despite having almost lost his life. "I'm not scared," he says with conviction.

"What will be interesting for me, if I'm selected to play in the Pakistan series, is what I feel when I board the bus. If I will be sitting in my usual seat, in the sixth row, in front of Murali… if that will bring back memories of Lahore. I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to it."

Samaraweera disagrees that near-death experiences change beliefs. "It has not changed me, really. This is another example in life and one has to move on. It is not the biggest thing in my life. It could have happened to any person, not only a sportsman."

It has been more than an hour. I finally ask: what happened to the bullet? There is a moment's silence before Samraweera erupts into laughter. "I have the bullet," he says. The doctor gave it to Erandathi, saying it was a "lucky bullet", because nothing happened to nerve or bone though it pierced 12 inches into the leg.

"I can't tell you where I keep it but it is in my house,' Samraweera says. "I think I will keep it all my life." Doesn't it hold a bad memory? "At the moment it is a terrible thing, but with time it may be something like a lucky thing which I can look at and think about in the future."

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

Posted by Madih on (June 9, 2009, 1:35 GMT)

Great to see you recover physically and mentally from this trauma. I am from Lahore, pakistan and i still feel the guilt that we could not provide security to our guests and that too from Sri Lanka who have always helped us in the hour of need. I apologize u for our lack in security arrangements. hope u will accept my apology on behalf of the whole nation of Pakistan. Sorry, once again

Posted by SanjeevDatadin on (June 8, 2009, 21:15 GMT)

God's speed to you ... as a fan; I wish to see you playing again and doing very, very well. Except, I have to say as a West Indian fan, I hope you don't do too well against us. Cheers!

Posted by Partyman on (June 8, 2009, 20:11 GMT)

Without being malicious, why is he being hailed as a hero? There are millions of brave peope including children and women, who are far less fortunate than a cricketer, dodge bullets and bombs in their day to day life from the barren lands of Afghanistan to Samaraweera's own backyard in Sri Lanka to bombs ridden streets of Gaza who deserve far more sympathy and command a lot of respect for their bravery. All this glorification of a cricketer is just belittling the sacrifice by those numerous individuals. If he gets hits, so what? At least he survived and recovered to tell his tale - millions don't. And what more, he will be better off for it. Lets get a perspective and spare a thought for those real invisible heroic souls and stop celebrating accidental heroes.

Posted by DeathKnell on (June 8, 2009, 20:02 GMT)

Man... enuf of the terrorist attack stuff.... except media, it does not make any difference to anyone...nowadays life is much more challenging than ur "3 month story".. so just stop this... a player will play his natural game shortly after any incident..and the pakistan story is old enuf...does nt bear anything on the game now...

Posted by Mevan on (June 8, 2009, 15:15 GMT)

Thilan is the nicest guy in the SL team - self-effacing and unassuming; pity this had to happen to him, especially when he was playing so well. He has had to work very hard and perform in order to get into the test team and to stay there - no silver spoon for him! This experience has to make him mentally stronger and result in a better test batsman. Wish him a speedy recovery as SL test team cannot do without him.

Sivet

Posted by AppuAamy on (June 8, 2009, 14:01 GMT)

more importantly this is the time to call him for ODIs as well... im sure he'll fit to that format also...

Posted by saicharanraj on (June 8, 2009, 13:58 GMT)

It would be a great inspirational story if he can play for Sri lanka in the forth coming series....It would augur well for the cricketing world as a whole....Go Samara Go...

Posted by Margin_of_Safety on (June 8, 2009, 13:38 GMT)

Keep going strong Thilan....u are a true inspiration.....hope u gain the touch u were in before all of this happened....God Bless U and Ur Family!

Posted by raki2wall on (June 8, 2009, 12:18 GMT)

Thanx a lot for this story.. I always wanted to be a cricketer.. I used to play well But now I cant move.. I was seriously injured at wonderla amusement park.. Both my legs are fractured.. Doc says I can get back within 3 months.. But 3 weeks has passed.. Still am not able to move my legs... Readin this story i got inspired to leave.. Its really very very difficult for a sportsmen to stay in a corner for days togather.. But now i am very confident i can also play cricket again upto my potential..

Thanx again..

Posted by M.Deen on (June 8, 2009, 11:43 GMT)

Good to hear that Samaraweera is fully recovered and ready to play cricket. Thilan focus on you game, sure you will be able to perform better and very well. We wish you all the very best.

Posted by lankalover on (June 8, 2009, 11:25 GMT)

I am only reminded of the great Monica Seles who, after the stabbing incident in 1993 in Hamburg, Germany, could not regain her prime form.

I hope the talented bunch of cricketers from the Emerald isle come out from this trauma and entertain the world as only they could.

All the best to the Lankan Lions.

Lanka Lover (VSK Iyer) Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Posted by jim-bob on (June 8, 2009, 11:24 GMT)

And good luck to you. The world needs people who suffer at the hands of this type of attack, to stand back up, and carry on going. I hope that others see this and are as inspired.

Posted by hsengiv86 on (June 8, 2009, 11:04 GMT)

wishing you a speed recovery

waiting to see you in action

Posted by kjkdesilva on (June 8, 2009, 10:58 GMT)

samaraweera,ohoma yamu,adhistanayath hithe dairyath thibenakam kawadawath waradinne naha,obata DALADA SAMINDU PIHITAI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Janakkumar11 on (June 8, 2009, 10:30 GMT)

Wish you a quick recovery... and I would love to see you score a century pretty soon on your return....... Best of Luck

Posted by tomjs100 on (June 8, 2009, 10:16 GMT)

It will be good to see him back in action. It both angered and upset me that anyone would attack a visitor to their country; especially a team which always behaved (in recent times) with the utmost propriety. It would be doubly sad if a great player like Samaraweera was lost to the game. I look forward to him having at least another 5 years in the international game, and hope to watch a test when he tours England in the future.

Posted by Gopinat on (June 8, 2009, 8:33 GMT)

great story, and very inspiring. It will be remarkable if he can score a fifty in his next test match. that will be cricket's way of telling the terrorists that we won't yield or be battered into submission.

Posted by kirannarendran on (June 8, 2009, 6:13 GMT)

It's really a traumatic situation when you are on the bed for long, especially a sportsman.Tilan has shown the grit, which is a predominant factor for sucess, to come of out of this mayhem.I wish him a speedy recovery and would like to see him in prime form.

FeedbackTop
Nagraj GollapudiClose

'Sri Lankan fans embrace the team, not just icon players'

Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara talk about the World T20 win, and why their fans are special

Desert-island reads

ESPNcricinfo XI: Cricket has spawned more books than almost any other sport. Here are Steven Lynch's favourites

Test cricket needs fewer teams, not more

Ian Chappell: It's clear that for the ICC votes mean more than results

Lara's peaks

Tony Cozier: While the 375 had a sense of inevitability to it, the 400 came amid a backdrop of strikes and the threat of a whitewash

The Argentine connection

Jonathan Wilson: Football may be the dominant sport in Argentina today but it wasn't the first sport the British brought here

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

Attention on Yuvraj, Gambhir in IPL 2014

ESPNcricinfo picks five players for whom this IPL is of bigger significance

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi

The captain's blunder

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab in Abu Dhabi

India: cricket's Brazil

It's difficult to beat a huge talent base exposed to good facilities, and possessed of a long history of competing as a nation