Readers' all-time Ashes XI
ESPNcricinfo readers pick their best Ashes team of all time

Old rivals come together

Who would you pick in a composite team from cricket's greatest rivalry?

Andrew Miller

November 3, 2010

Len Hutton and Don Bradman pose for a photo, England v Australia, 1st Test, Trent Bridge, 2nd day, June 12, 1953
Sir Len and the Don batting together? © Getty Images
Readers' all-time Ashes XI : Aussies tip the scales
Series/Tournaments: England tour of Australia

The quest for ESPNcricinfo's all-time World XI may have ended last month, but the public's thirst for fantasy match-ups - much like the thirst for top-quality cricket - shows no sign of abating. As England embark on what promises to be one of the most evenly contested Ashes tours in living memory, we have teamed up with our colleagues at ESPN Classic to seek out the ultimate combined Readers' Ashes XI.

Four Australians - Don Bradman, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne and Dennis Lillee - and two Englishmen - Jack Hobbs and Len Hutton - made the cut in the World XI, which also included such indisputable greats as Garry Sobers, Viv Richards and Sachin Tendulkar. But with 133 years of history from which to choose, the Readers' all-time Ashes XI promises in its own way to be an even more problematic poser.

To provide a starting point for the discussions, we have reverted to the 85 names (39 Englishmen and 46 Aussies) who were put forward for selection for their respective country's all-time XIs back in July and August 2009. Those original shortlists were drawn up by some of the sport's most respected pundits, and span the entire history of Anglo-Australian rivalry, with representatives from every era of the game.

The "Demon" Frederick Spofforth, who contested the very first Test match, in Melbourne in 1877, is one of the names in the reckoning, as are Hobbs and Victor Trumper, two legendary opening batsmen who epitomised the Golden Age at the start of the 20th century. Then come the giants of the inter-war era - Bradman, whose legend will endure for all time, his English counterpart Wally Hammond, and bowlers such as Harold Larwood and Hedley Verity, whose speed and guile respectively made their own indelible marks on Ashes history.

Bradman's Invincibles, Australia'a unbeaten tourists from 1948, are represented in force, with the new-ball pairing of Ray Lindwall and Keith Miller principal among their number, while the England team that ruled the roost for much of the 1950s is best showcased by Hutton, their legendary captain from 1953 and 1954-55, and four mighty bowlers in Alec Bedser, Frank Tyson, Brian Statham and Jim Laker, whose 19 wickets at Old Trafford in 1956 is a feat that has never come close to being matched.

Ken Barrington, England's immoveable object, is on hand to epitomise the dour attrition of the 1960s; Dennis Lillee, the ultimate Aussie menace, marks the change of tempo that set the 1970s apart. Ian Botham and Allan Border epitomise the inspiration and perspiration that defined the two nations' attitudes in the 1980s, while the unrivalled dominance that Australia enjoyed throughout the 1990s and into the start of the 2000s is showcased by a host of modern greats: Warne, Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, the Waugh twins, and of course, the last man standing, Ricky Ponting.

As with all such exercises, this is not a definitive list, and there are one or two notable omissions. Jeff Thomson failed to make the cut for the original exercise, for instance, while Chris Broad's three centuries as an opener in 1986-87, the last time England successfully defended the Ashes in Australia, might well have deserved a look in. However, given that one in eight of the names on the shortlist will miss out in the final reckoning, it's fair to suggest that the options are plentiful already.

Pick your Ashes XI here

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo.

RSS Feeds: Andrew Miller

Posted by cricketchopper on (November 6, 2010, 15:26 GMT)

ASHES XI: Hobbs,Hutton,Bradman,Hammond,Gilchrist,Miller,Botham,Warne,Barnes, Lillee,Magrah.

REST OF WORLD XI: Barry Richards,Gavaskar,Viv,Lara,Sobers, Sangakara, Imran, Hadlee,Waseem,Marshal,Murli

Posted by ZA77 on (November 5, 2010, 10:06 GMT)

Best one, as an opener Hobbs and Hutton, no. 3 Don Bradman, no. 4 Greig Chappell no. 5 no. 6 Border no. 7 Knott (Keeper) no. 8 Shane Warne no. 9 Lillee no. 10 SF Barnes 11 McGrath

2nd Best as an opener, Morris and Herbert Sutcliff, no. 3 Ponting 4 Hammond no. 5 Steve Waugh no. 6 Ian Botham no. 7 Gilchrist (Keeper), no. 8 O Reilly no. 9 Trueman, no. 10 Alec Bedser and no. 11 Underwood

Third best, as an opener Hayden and Trumper, no. 3 Harvey no. 4 May no. 5 Peitersen No. 6 Miller no. 7 Ian Healey (keeper), no. 8 Alan Davidson, no. 9 Lindwall, no.10 Laker and no. 11 Grimmett

Posted by peterhrt on (November 4, 2010, 23:44 GMT)

In the days of uncovered pitches, the ultimate test for a batsman was a treacherous surface and the greatest were judged on that. This is why some critics placed Hobbs and Trumper ahead of Bradman. Then it was about how one handled the fastest bowling. Gooch did so as well as anyone though he had other flaws. McCabe was perhaps the best Australian against the quicks. Now pitches are flatter and everyone wears a helmet, it's about how fast the runs are scored. Hence the elevated status of Pietersen and Gilchrist. Cricketers have to be judged in the context of their own time. But with so much quality to choose from, functional run-compilers with little style, who limited themselves to two or three shots, should be nowhere near their country's all-time team, let alone this one. Sutcliffe, Barrington, Border and Steve Waugh fall into this category. For bowlers, the acid test has always been consistent penetration on good wickets. Only Barnes among Englishmen challenges the Aussies.

Posted by george204 on (November 4, 2010, 20:16 GMT)

Leaving Walter Hammond out of this XI would be as bad as leaving Tendulkar out of an all-time Indian XI! Hammond made 4 double centuries against Aus & what is still the 2nd highest test series tally (905) of all time.

Posted by amitava0112 on (November 4, 2010, 19:17 GMT)

My Ashes XI with explanations: 1. J Hobbs (most prolific run getter during his time on uncovered wkts) 2. L Hutton( one of best openers of all times) 3. D Bradman(any doubts..Ponting .the other no 3 a distant 2nd) 4.Greg Chappell(narrowly edges out Hammond as he played better attacks in 70-80 5.A.Border(edges out S waugh,Harvey,Barrington as he singlehandedly held Aus batting together in crisis during 1980s against stiff opposition) 6.Ian Botham(best allrounder with great ashes record) 7.A Gilchrist (His batting edges out the better keepers Knott,Marsh,Healy) 8.S Warne (best legspinner of all time & handy bat) 9.D Lillee (most hostile bowler with great ashes record) 10. Fred Trueman (premier fast bowler.wud be a great combo with Lillee) 11. G Mcgrath (a remorseless fast bowler-played in an era of batting domination) On spin tracks O'Rielly wud replace Trueman top guys missing out:Hammond,Barrington,Ponting,S Waugh,May,Lindwall,Benaud,Grimmet,Trumper,Swann comments...

Posted by amitava0112 on (November 4, 2010, 18:56 GMT)

My Ashes XI with explanations: 1.J Hobbs (a prolific first class run getter during his time on uncovered pitches) 2. L Hutton(one of finest ever openers) 3.Don Bradman (any doubts ? next no3 contender Ponting a distant 2nd)) 4)Greg Chappell (Close contest with HAmmond..face more quality attacks in 70-80)

Posted by baba6660 on (November 4, 2010, 18:07 GMT)

I havechosen : Len Hutton, Geoffrey Boycott, Don Bradman, Ricky Pointing, Neil Harvey, Keith Miller, Ian Botham, Adam Gilchrist, Jim Laker, Harold Larwood and Dennis Lillee. Its really difficult to drop players like Shane Warne, Waugh brothers, Greg Chappel, Michael Vaughan,Mathew Hayden and Alan Davidson...But i guess this team is the best and can beat even the All time World XI

Posted by Mahesh.R on (November 4, 2010, 17:51 GMT)

My XI didn't take in to account the Ashes performances. Rather, I just picked the best XI, in my judgement. It goes like:1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs (Openers) 3. The Don 4. Greg Chappall 5. Waltor Hammon 6. Keith Miller 7. Allan Knot 8. Shane Warne 9. Sydney Barnes 10. Dennnis Lille 11. Glen McGrath

Only, one English bowler i.e. Barnes. No Botham. Instead, it is Miller. Only one spinner - Warne. Barnes though a medium pacer had many weapons in the armory of a spinner.

Posted by cricketchopper on (November 4, 2010, 17:32 GMT)

My Ashes XI is not based on the Australian & English player on their performance against each other. I have selected joint team consisting of Australian and English players which will face REST OF THE WORLD XI in all conditions. My Xi is: Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Hammond, Gilchrist, Miller, Warne, Underwood, Lillee, Magrah, Barnes. REST OF THE WORLD XI: Gavaskar, B.Richards,Viv Richards,Lara,Sachin,Sangakara,Imran,Waseem,Marshal,Kumble,Murli

Posted by Engle on (November 4, 2010, 17:14 GMT)

First pick those players who are guaranteed a spot, then choose contenders. So, Hobbs gets in unopposed. Between Hutton and Sutcliffe, narrowly opted for Hutton by slimmest of margins. Bradman walks in. Now, I need a LH bat. Gower, being too airy-fairy for my liking, had to decide between Border and Harvey. Border gets in as his bowling and leadership break tie. For 5th spot, between G.Chappell and W.Hammond. Would have loved to have Wally for so many reasons, but opted for G.Chappell for superlative performances vs WIndies. AR spot between Miller and Botham. Went for Miller, better bowling figures. WK went to Knott over Gilly, better gloveman. Warne walks in unopposed. Pair of fasties went to Lillee and Trueman (Thommo should've been a choice). Last spot between Laker and Barnes. How could one reject the great Barnes.

Posted by cricketchopper on (November 4, 2010, 17:04 GMT)

My XI, Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Wally Hammond, Greg Chappel, Miller, Knot, Warne, Barnes, Magrah, Bill O Relly

Posted by eoinsmith001 on (November 4, 2010, 13:46 GMT)

Given that the candidates are taken from the national all-time XI selections, obviously one English wicketkeeper is missing here, as he was there. I'm not a fan or anything, but given the effusive praise laden on him, I'm completely stumped (sorry!) as to why he doesn't seem to be even mentioned in the pantheon of glovemen.

For example, from cricinfo's own profile : "Godfrey Evans was arguably the best wicket-keeper the game has ever seen", "technical excellence that has probably never been surpassed", and "making the difficult look absurdly easy". Also, according to no less than Bill O'Reilly, wicket-keeping was the only department where England matched Australia in 46-47. Mike Selvey said he'd never seen better keeping, after a sevens game Evans played with him in... at the age of 56!

Seems to have been a decent 'keeper; why then, is he so roundly ignored?

Posted by eoinsmith001 on (November 4, 2010, 11:35 GMT)

2-3-2-1-3 : Hutton & Trumper opening, Gower, Bradman & Hammond middle order, Miller & Botham twin allrounders, Knott for wk, Lillee, Trueman and Warne as pure bowlers.

Normally, it's a real toughie to choose these fantasy teams, but I had this down in a couple of minutes. In fact, I thought I had picked twelve, I seemed to have so many assets! Plus most of all, this would be a box-office team, just look at the personality mix; Trueman and Lillee for searing new-ball fire, Miller, Warne and Botham in the same team? Gower with license to play? Trumper and Hutton together? Knott keeping to Warne?

In fact... the only man here who might have to leave, purely on personality, would be the Don! However, since he guarantees a century each time, I think I'll spare him...

Posted by MartinAmber on (November 4, 2010, 10:03 GMT)

The XI I submitted was: Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Border, S Waugh, Botham, Gilchrist, Warne, Lillee, Trueman, McGrath. I would have preferred to choose either four middle order batsmen and one all-rounder, or three and two. Unforrunately, either of those team structures would mean Gilchrist batting at eight, which I wasn't prepared to countenance. The extra middle-order batsman would have been Hammond at four (though in my own era, Gower's Ashes record is superb), and the extra all-rounder would have been Miller (one place higher than Botham). I would have had to drop a bowler, almost certainly Trueman. All my combinations would have an Australian majority, which given the overall results since 1877 is appropriate.

Posted by   on (November 4, 2010, 9:38 GMT)

Amazes at the absence of Jeff Thomson, possibly the fastest and most destructive bowler of all-time when in his pomp. Mind, his absence left an opening for Keith Miller in my line-up.

Posted by alonsoe on (November 4, 2010, 2:24 GMT)

I realized from my last blog I choose 12 instead of 11 players. Anyway such is the greatness of these players. My final 11 is Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Hammond,Barrinton, Botham, Knot, Warne, Laker, Lillee and Barnes. The English predominance is not due to a deliberate country bias. I choose Sutcliffe over Hutton because I think he was a bit tougher under Ashes pressure. And although I am a West Indian I think the Hobbs/ Sutcliffe opening pair is the best of all times. Knot over Gilchrist. Gil the better bat, but Knot the better keeper and I do not think this team is going to starve for runs. Botham being a fast bowling allrounder frees me to have a spin pair of Warne and Laker. Warne picks himself, Laker's 1956 Ashes performance picks him. Barnes almost the Bradman equivalent for bowlers. Lillee over Trueman, little contest.The batting truly great might not be as exciting, but I think it still has enough big hitting firepower( do not forget Botham).

Posted by alonsoe on (November 4, 2010, 1:32 GMT)

I am not Aussi or English. And I was surprised that when I choose my 11 that it was predominantly English without me deliberately making a country bias. I included Jim laker largely on the basis of what he did in 56 against Australia. Since I included Botham as a fast bowling allrounder, that freed me up to add Warne to have a off spin/leg spin pair. My bowling attack is completed by Barnes, Lillee and Trueman. My favorite opening pair of all time is Hobbs/ Suthcliff, and am choosing not to break up that pair although Hutton might be more renowned that Suthcliff. The middle is made up of Bradman, Hammond and Barrington. I think Knot is the greatest wicket keeper of the lot, so I picked him over Gilchrist even though he is the better bat.

Posted by ZA77 on (November 3, 2010, 21:43 GMT)

Len Hutton, Jack Hobbs as an opener, for middle order Don Bradman, Greg Chappell, Ken Barrington, Alan Border, Alan Knott (Keeper), Shane Warne, SF Barnes, Lillee and McGrath.

Posted by Sydney66 on (November 3, 2010, 21:34 GMT)

1. Hobbs 2. Hutton 3. Bradman 4. Hammond 5. G. Chappell 6. Miller 7. Gilchrist 8. Warne 9. Lillee 10. Trueman 11. Barnes My only regret is leaving out Bill O'Reilly. It was a very close run thing between him and Barnes who was a very similar bowler. Miller shades Botham in both batting and bowling. And Trueman's strike rate is excellent, not to mention the sheer joy of watching him and Lillee try to out do eachother with the new ball.

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 19:22 GMT)

Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Gilchrist, Warne, Lillee in for sure (all in the world XI). Middle order possibles: May, Ponting, Hammond, Barrington. I'll take May and Ponting. All-rounder: Miller. Botham just not in the same class. Lots of competition for the final two bowling places: Laker, McGrath, Larwood, Davidson, Barnes, O'Reilly. I'll take Laker as the best offie and McGrath to complement Lillee with the new ball. Barnes and Davidson to share the drinks duties.

Posted by PrinceA on (November 3, 2010, 19:19 GMT)

1. Hutton 2. Hobbs 3. Ponting(c) 4. Bradmon 5. Haymond 6. Botham 7. Miller 8. Gilchrist 9. Warne 10. Lillee 11. Barnes

Posted by anikbrad on (November 3, 2010, 18:56 GMT)

what abouth spofforth and lohmann the best 2 bowlers of 19th century as no one seen them they are not picked : XI very hard but I tried: HOBBS/ HUTTON/ BRADMAN/ HAMMOND/GREG CHAPEL/ MILLER/ GILCHRIST/ WARNE/ SYD BARNES/ LARWOOD/ LILLE. 12 MAN- BOTHAM- CAN REPLACE ANY ONE IF REQUIRED AND MANAGER - TRAMPER/ COACH - WG.

Posted by AlpiBhalla on (November 3, 2010, 15:14 GMT)

My Ashes X1 goes like this -

1. Len Hutton 2. Victor Trumper 3. Don Bradman (C ) 4. Neil Harvey 5. Steve Waugh 6. Keith Miller 7. Ian Bothan 8. Allan Knott (WC) 9. Shane Warne 10. Glenn Mcgrawth 11. Sydnet Barnes

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 15:03 GMT)

Hard choice. Botham or Miller or Armstrong? Lillee or Larwood? In the end went with an entertaining team: Hutton, Ponsford, Bradman, Hammond, S Waugh (c), Gilchrist (wk), Botham, Warne, Laker, Lillee, Larwood. 12th; McGrath.

Just curious - why was Terry Alderman left off the list. His 40-odd wickets should be worth a mention.

Posted by Biggus on (November 3, 2010, 14:48 GMT)

So hard to do! Here's this Aussie's Ashes XI- Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Hammond, Barrington, Miller, Gilchrist, Davidson, Warne, Lillee, Barnes. I agonised over Gilchrist instead of Knott but figured the runs he makes would compensate for any occasional miss as keeper. Would have loved to pick G. Chappell, Border, Botham, Trueman, Ponting, McGrath, Laker and a whole lot more but there are only 11 places. Even now I look at this choice and I'm torn. There are a lot of older era players there but I think anyone who could bat on some of those uncovered pitches would be able to make the grade today. Not for a moment do I think this XI is the only good line-up. Barrington's an unfashionable choice but his record is good. He could be dropped I guess for one of the OZ batsman named above but so be it. McGrath for Lillee? Maybe. I still think it's a pretty strong side.

Posted by waspsting on (November 3, 2010, 14:22 GMT)

Hutton, Hobbs Bradman, Greg Chappell, Hammond Miller Gilchrist Davidson, Warne, O'Reilly, Lillee

BTW, Davidson belongs as an all-rounder, NOT a bowler.

Posted by TestOfTime on (November 3, 2010, 14:07 GMT)

I actually thought my team will be dominated by Australians, but when i finally got it out i was surprised. Here's my XI: Let me know what you guys think. Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Don Bradman, Mark Waugh, Allan Border, Ian Botham, Adam Gilchrist,Jim Laker, Shane Warne,Dennis Lillee, Glenn McGrath. I was contemplating Neil Harvey instead of Border, but Border has more experience playing on all surfaces.

Posted by pradoshprabha on (November 3, 2010, 13:47 GMT)

My all time ashes XI- Jack Hobbs,Victor Trumper,Donald Bradman,Wally Hammond, Ricky Ponting,Keith Miller,Adam Gilchrist,Harold Larwood,Bill O'Reilly,Fred Spofforth, Denis Lillee.

Posted by lsd123 on (November 3, 2010, 12:10 GMT)

My XI: Hobbs, Len Hutton, Bradman, Hammond, G. Chappell, Ian Botham, Gilchrist,Warne, Denis Lille, Mcgrath, Barnes. (hadly Missed out Ponting, Trueman and Miller)

Posted by 16kricketASN on (November 3, 2010, 11:59 GMT)

now u people start ashes 11 after some time asia 11 then africa 11

than subcontinent 11 and then ireland 11

there is no time for prepation of exam

Posted by KAIRAVA on (November 3, 2010, 11:58 GMT)

My FIRST Ashes XI: * Victor Trumper * Jack Hobbs * Donald Bradman * Wally Hammond * Steve Waugh * Keith Miller * Adam Gilchrist * Shane Warne * Dennis Lillee * Sydney Barnes * Glenn McGrath. ------------------------ My SECOND Ashes XI: * Herbert Sutcliffe * Len Hutton * Ricky Ponting * Ken Barrington * Allan Border * Ian Botham * Alan Knott * Bill O'Reilly * Ray Lindwall * Fred Trueman * Alan Davidson

Posted by 16kricketASN on (November 3, 2010, 11:57 GMT)

1.hayden 2.len huton 3.bradman 4.peitersen 5.ricky 6.steve waugh 7.botham 8.sir adam gilly 9.shane warne 10.lee 11.glenn mcgrath

Posted by KAIRAVA on (November 3, 2010, 11:34 GMT)

My All-time Ashes XI : * Victor Trumper * Jack Hobbs * Don Bradman * Wally Hammond * Steve Waugh * Keith Miller * Adam Gilchrist * Shane Warne * Dennis Lillee * Sydney Barnes * Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Allan Border

Posted by KBowser on (November 3, 2010, 10:49 GMT)

I would go for Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman(c), Hammond, Chappell, Miller, Gilchrist, Warne, Lillee, Trueman, Underwood. With Miller in the team there is no need for 3 pace bowlers down the order, so can pick two spinners. Although Botham saved his best for the Ashes, he was no Miller. Could just have easily picked Sutcliffe to open the batting, Healy or Knott to keep, McGrath or Barnes to bowl instead of Trueman, or O'Reilly instead of Underwood.

Posted by KingofRedLions on (November 3, 2010, 9:34 GMT)

The easiest way to decide the A/R spot is to choose both Miller and Botham.

Then just take your pick for the third fast bowler.

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 9:26 GMT)

@gmoturu1 - Flintoff brings zilch excitement. Take Botham or Miller for excitement factor as well as ability.

Posted by mike5181 on (November 3, 2010, 8:16 GMT)

1.Langer 2.Hayden 3.Bradmen 4.Ponting 5.Waugh 6.Flintoff 7.Gilchrist 8.Warne 9.Lee 10.Lillee 11.Mcgrath

Posted by gmoturu1 on (November 3, 2010, 7:37 GMT)

i included andrew flintoff just for the excitement he brings in. here's my team

Herbert Sutcliffe, Len Hutton Donald Bradman, Ken Barrington, Steve Waugh(c) Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff Adam Gilchrist Shane Warne, Jim Laker, Glenn McGrath

Sorry no Dennis Lillee, Ricky Ponting, Sidney Barnes, Jack Hobbs. And yes I have 6 englishman

Posted by pauld on (November 3, 2010, 7:08 GMT)

For my mind, I think the way to approach picking an Ashes XI is to pick the players who saved their best performances for the Ashes - who excelled under the pressure of a great Australia vs England confrontation. As opposed to how they went over the course of their whole career, against various different opponents. Therefore, I'd pick my XI as follows.

Hobbs & Hutton to open. As much as I'd like to see an Aussie at the top, we've never had an opener to rival this insurmountable pair. Plus they did both make the world XI. Bradman, Hammond at 3 and 4 pick themselves. Then Steve Waugh at 5 and Allan Border at 6. Steve Waugh's uncompromising style is exactly what you want in an Ashes match, and he was undoubtedly at his best against England. Botham at 7. 'Nuff said. Ian Healy at 8. Then Warne at 9, Larwood at 10, McGrath at 11.

Posted by pauld on (November 3, 2010, 7:01 GMT)

Wonder how long it will take for someone to throw a wobbler that Sachin is not included in the list of potential candidates...

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 6:32 GMT)

my XI, Jack Hobbs, Herbert Sutcliffe, Don Bradman, Len Hutton, Steve Waugh, Ian Botham, Adam Gilchrist, Sydney Barnes, Shane Warne, Dennis Lillee, Glenn McGrath

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 5:13 GMT)

Y do u guys always leave Thommo...at least give v readers a chance 2 pick him

Posted by ashishkumar36 on (November 3, 2010, 5:11 GMT)

In this Ashes All Time XI, I would not pick Len Hutton and Pace legend Lillee, Instead of them I will go with Trumper and McGrath. So the team is : Hobbs, Trumper, Bradman-c, Hammond-vc, G. Chappell, Miller, Gilchrist-wk, Warne, Laker, McGrath and Barnes. 12th man would be Ian Botham. ESPNCricinfo should start An Asia All Time XI. My team for Asia All Time would be, Gavaskar-vc, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Miandad, Sangakkara-wk, Imran-c, Akram, Qadir, Younis and Muralitharan. 12th man would be, Kapil Dev. If ESNCricinfo start with An ODI All Time XI, then my ODI All Time XI would be same as CricInfo picked two years before, Gilchrist-wk, Tendulkar, Richards-vc, Ponting, Lara, Symonds, Imran-c, Hadlee, Akram, Warne and Garner. 12th man would be Jonty Rhodes. For T-20.....I am not much interested in this format of cricket..I just hate this format. I like test matches most and then ODI Cricket. So forT-20, NO ALL TIME XI FROM MY SIDE.

Posted by   on (November 3, 2010, 4:15 GMT)

Hardest decision is choosing between Miller and Botham. And Lillee will not find a place in my side as Barnes, Trueman and McGrath fill up the spots for 3 fast bowlers. My XI:

Len Hutton, Jack Hobbs, Don Bradman, Wally Hammond, Greg Chappell, Keith Miller, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Fred Trueman, SF Barnes, Glenn McGrath.

FeedbackTop
Andrew MillerClose
Andrew Miller Andrew Miller was saved from a life of drudgery in the City when his car caught fire on the way to an interview. He took this as a sign and fled to Pakistan where he witnessed England's historic victory in the twilight at Karachi (or thought he did, at any rate - it was too dark to tell). He then joined Wisden Online in 2001, and soon graduated from put-upon photocopier to a writer with a penchant for comment and cricket on the subcontinent. In addition to Pakistan, he has covered England tours in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, as well as the World Cup in the Caribbean in 2007

The cricket tragic who bowled Bradman

Former Australian PM Bob Hawke loved cricket. And he once left the Don speechless with the force of his political convictions

'The worst thing about being a keeper is stinky hands'

Chris Read talks about how unprepared he was for Tests, and that slower ball from Chris Cairns

Everybody deserves a second chance?

Switch Hit: Mark Butcher joins our team to discuss the new England coaches, KP, and a potential England XI

England's Pietersen folly

Martin Crowe: Not getting rid of Kevin Pietersen after the texting saga in 2012 cost them greatly

A man with two first names

Paul Ford: New Zealand's selectors have taken a punt on 27-year-old offspinner Mark Craig, highlighting the anaemic state of spin bowling in the land

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

The former Indian openers haven't been shining lately, but the IPL presents an opportunity for them to show their class

England's Pietersen folly

They were making good progress in building a world-class side, but not getting rid of Kevin Pietersen after the texting saga in 2012 cost them greatly

The world record that nearly wasn't

Twenty years ago this week, Brian Lara became Test cricket's highest scorer, but he almost didn't make it

'Sri Lankan fans embrace the team, not just icon players'

Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara go over their World T20 win, and feel grateful to have fans whose support remains unwavering in victory and defeat

The captain's blunder

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab in Abu Dhabi