Essays, reflections and more

India or Sri Lanka: whom to support?

Which team does a second-generation British Asian fan cheer for? It's not all that straightforward

Sahil Dutta

April 2, 2011

Indian supporters out in full force, England v India, ICC World Twenty20 Super Eights, Lord's, June 14, 2009
For most British Asian fans, the shadow of the past is what determines their allegiance © Getty Images
Series/Tournaments: ICC Cricket World Cup
Teams: England | India | Sri Lanka

Most British Asian cricket fans thrive on their identity. But if I'm honest, I have struggled with mine. As England will find this summer when they meet both World Cup finalists, Sri Lanka and India, Asians in Britain are among cricket's most fervent supporters. Today, as passions brink on overspill in the restaurants and homes hosting World Cup get-togethers, I'll be thinking of all the old friends from school who branded me the ultimate "coconut". Raised in an Indian household, I am an unashamed England supporter.

Allegiance is central to sport - it gives a veneer of meaning to an otherwise trite pastime - but as I found, just what drives someone to support one team over another is no straightforward thing.

It was easier when I was younger. I supported England because they were the team I knew. Introduced to the game in time for the 1993 Ashes, there was no question of backing Australia, so England were my team. As each of the players and their conundrums became more familiar - Will Hick ever make another Test hundred? Has Fraser lost his "nip"? Should Stewart open? - the tie grew stronger. It was a whole six Test series before the ultimate question of allegiance was thrust upon me, and by then it was too late.

England v India in the summer of 1996? Of course I supported England, they were my boys. Childish rebellion drove me to scream my colours ever louder. Wedding receptions became my own, nonsensical underdog struggle as I raged against the family establishment that was instructing me to support India. I proudly passed the Tebbit Test, having no clue of the sentiment that underpinned it.

Familiarity and defiance may have once been the root of my support for England but at secondary school I learned just why it was so sacrilegious. Colonial history and the experience of Indian migrants in England gave an altogether weightier feeling to the question of allegiance. For my parents' generation, supporting India was about maintaining a connection to the old homeland. It was about sticking one in the eye of the coloniser. It was about expressing an identity that was mangled in the process of adapting to a new country.

My childish resistance quickly gave way to a more sombre assessment. Though I still supported England, I insisted that was the fault solely of coincidence. If the first series I watched had involved India, there would have been no question about following the family line. As it was, I glibly accepted my schoolmates' decree that I was brown on the outside and white on the inside. Visiting India as a young teenager I apologised for supporting the old enemy and swore earnestly that against anyone else, India was my team.

Fast-forward 15 years and the context has changed. Indian cricket can exert an influence even greater than the Anglo-Saxon colonisers could ever manage. The mammoth TV-viewing public offers advertisers a market they are prepared to spend vast swathes of cash reaching. The IPL is a chest-thumping celebration of a modern India that the world's best players are longing to play in, and the BCCI can dictate terms to the rest of the game. The on-field ascent to supremacy has followed, and MS Dhoni's side stand within one match of crowning the transition by claiming cricket's biggest global prize. Fair to say the new India offers little by way of romantic struggle.

For most British Indians, like my friend Shamik, the shadow of the past is still what matters. "Basically it's history," he said. "Even though financially the power rests with India now, the context of colonialism and family makes India the team I support." But for me it's different. I cheered when India floored the boorish Australian side in epic series through the 2000s, yet now find myself begging for someone to challenge the new top dogs.

So coming to the all-Asian final, I'm left with another tricky question of alliance. I'm proud the best two teams in the tournament are Asian and compelled by the backdrop of two subcontinental giants playing their final World Cup match. Cricket-wise there is little to pick between the two sides. My roots tie me to India but the draw of a small island-nation scrapping against the game's powerhouse is almost irresistible. With a day to go I can't quite decide, but come the toss a jolt in my gut will reveal the answer.

Sahil Dutta is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sahil Dutta

Posted by Quaser on (April 4, 2011, 9:17 GMT)

Hmmm, deep points being made, worthy of a seminar topic in Sociology courses at University. Someone said that cricket is not a game, it is a narrative about life. I am glad that we do have articles such as this to get to the guts of our passion. I do not know how old you are but reflect, what would third generation "outsiders" believe. I hope with globalisation, especially in cricket, the new youngsters will support the country they have to live the rest of their lives in.

Posted by Capitalist_Cricketer on (April 3, 2011, 18:06 GMT)

Interesting Article. Im an Indian living in UK for last 11 years and am always amazed about the support most subcontinent teams enjoy with the British Asian population here. Its easy for us people who are actually born in the subcontinent to question their loyalty when they dare actually support England over their own country, But lets spare a thought on what they have to go through emotionally when they dont support England in only one thing. Respect too all fans out there no matter whom u support. Wonder if I shall ever get to see in my lifetime India playing in a football world cup , Now wont that be something for the new century ?

Posted by   on (April 3, 2011, 3:41 GMT)

I'm and British Asian, now living in Australia. I have supported the England cricket team since the 1990's. I have played a majority of my cricket thus far in my life in the UK (Scotland and England). Have played a bit in Australia. If I was a pro, I would be playing for England. India v Sri Lanka, is like watching Brazil v Argentina in the FIFA world cup. Enjoyed the game, the passion and a great show case for the sport. As for my personal intrest, that finished in the Quarter finals. Looking forward to 2015. India still need to perform in a world cup outside the sub continent, just putting it out there....

Posted by   on (April 3, 2011, 2:13 GMT)

Well written column. I agree. Allegiance should be to the country he was born,raised regardless of what his roots are. If England is playing against an asian country I would say 2nd gen British Asians should be supporting England.

Posted by bargainHunter on (April 3, 2011, 0:03 GMT)

Interesting article !. Being an Indian living in US..I can somewhat understand your predicament. I lived the first 27 years of my life in India..so there is no doubt about whom I support..but what abt my nephews and nieces who are born here ?..this is a sad byproduct of being an immigrant I guess..

Posted by indoamerican on (April 2, 2011, 21:54 GMT)

The note written by FabulousMrF is really intersting and poetic. Good one. He compares his neighbors and their attitude with the attitude of the neigbors of his country Bangladesh.

Posted by Vilander on (April 2, 2011, 21:07 GMT)

Sahil, this is country vs country not club vs club. You will never know the euphoria of your country winning unfortunately; if you plan your allegiances. i advise you to be firmly behind England and yet enjoy good performances from other teams. BTW you are either indian or british what is british asian ? you have mixed national roots?? or would not want to be called indian.

Posted by InsideHedge on (April 2, 2011, 20:15 GMT)

With all due respect, Sahil, I don't think you have the slightest clue on the meaning of "support". You simply don't change allegiance when it comes to countries. You are who you are. If you feel English, then England it is.

As far as 2day's game went, your stance should be neutral with the old cliche "May the best team win".

And it did: INDIA.

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 19:14 GMT)

2-04-2011:: I m overwhelmed tonight. Ws tht just another final or a final of an Indian's Dream..ws tht joy fr just another victory in the finals or ws it about smthng i hd never experienced in my life..Just pinched myself to realize tht i wsnt dreaming..n wen i saw Sachin running into the field wid a grand smile ''grandest of dem all'' on his shimmering face..hands raised..wen i saw yuvraj's tears mixd wid the most precious of sweat he hs ever shed ..harbhajan crying like a baby n saw one of a kind victory lap wid the GOD Sachin sitting sky high..i realized tht this ws a Dream actually,which came true .A dream cherished by the secnd largest population in the world . It cme late but nevr it wd hve come so gud as it did tonight..Love u team India ..Love u Sachin :*..Thank u vry much :')

Posted by maddy20 on (April 2, 2011, 18:49 GMT)

Huh! Alex and South Indian Rule 1:never under-estimate India! 2)If you think it is wrong think again and see rule No 1 again!

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 14:29 GMT)

i am a west indian of indian descent and i make no joke about it i am a die hard sri lankan fan so i know for a fact sri lanka will win

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 11:10 GMT)

Very interesting article. I was born and brought up in Northern Ireland with English parents and it never occurred to me to support anyone but England in terms of football (and cricket obviously!). The reasons for this are hard to know for sure - it could be a reaction to being the only kid at school with an English accent or feeling more 'English' deep down. But it could just be that, as a Spurs fan, it was inevitable I'd support the team with Lineker and Gascoigne in it - and Northern Ireland were crap!

Ultimately, whether it's club or country, you tend to make these decisions (for whatever reasons) when you're very young, and if you genuinely care about the sport then it's very hard to ever really support anyone else. So I wish Norn Iron and the Republic all the best but don't feel completely gutted when they lose - not a bad deal!

As for today - I don't mind who wins. But it won't just be because of a confusing toss in any case...

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 8:30 GMT)

Which ever team 11 will perform there best for today's WC final watch will win. I wish both the team all the best but I heart-fully support and pray for team INDIA to repeat the history of 1983 where we win the WC. I love to see Sachin's 100th International century too. ALL THE BEST TEAM INDIA :)

Posted by South_Indian on (April 2, 2011, 8:08 GMT)

The article is very much about me !!!! I am an Indian, yet a hardcore Sri Lankan fan :) there is no confusion on my part as to whom I should support... today I want Sri Lanka to beat India... GO LANKA GO!!!! my philosophy.... you dont have to cheer a country just because you were born there, do what your brain tells you. Full stop.

Posted by FabulousMrF on (April 2, 2011, 8:04 GMT)

A tale of three neighbors: neighbor "A" used to live in my upstairs flat for 25 years (despite having his own bigger home not too far away); he refused to pay rent and would extort half my salary.. when i asked him to leave, he destroyed my home but i got him out.. this was 40 years ago but he's never apologized since..

neighbor "B" uses his BB gun to fire pellets in my window for no good reason from time to time.. he's also constructed a big ugly fence so i stay away from him yet hes constantly breathing down my neck to keep an eye on what i do and who i welcome to my home..

- neighbor "C" lives all the way in the other end of the neighborhood so we rarely meet.. ive heard he's got a violent temper and is quite brutal with his brother-in-law who lives in a tiny room upstairs from him..he leaves me alone though

moral of the story: when India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka play against one another, who can you support as a Bangladeshi?

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 7:59 GMT)

If Ashwin plays for India -India should win

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 7:55 GMT)

Your loyalty is too fluid...So I don't think it matters who you support to anyway...

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 7:44 GMT)

India will win, cup s ours

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 7:09 GMT)

Sahil, agreed that you are in a dilemma. Perhaps the way to resolve it is the way the Parsis did it when they first came to India - make your adopted country your own. Then you don't need to support any team but your own country's and if other countries are playing matches one can sit back and enjoy!

Posted by Vaibhav-Gupta on (April 2, 2011, 7:08 GMT)

As a teenager, you

'swore earnestly that against anyone else, India was my team'

I hope you find your answer in your own article :P

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 7:04 GMT)

Being an Indian and true lover of Cricket, I support India to win

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:58 GMT)

Sri lanaka.......................................

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:41 GMT)

Should support Sri lank cuz they play the gentlmans game to the closest possible standard

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:37 GMT)

SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............SRILANKA...............

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:35 GMT)

Confused? Seem to be looking to justify a reason not to support India?

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:28 GMT)

indiaaaaaaaaaaaaa will win inshaallah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no body can stop ussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 6:18 GMT)

Of course it is the best team who will win. The battle begins about two hours. Keep your fingers crossed.Best of luck to both teams.

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 5:55 GMT)

Well written Sahil.But still dont get it ....support India yaar...:-)

Posted by sifter132 on (April 2, 2011, 5:17 GMT)

To me Sri Lanka have less attitude/anger and have more fun on the field - which makes them much more supportable to me.

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 5:02 GMT)

INDIA............... INDIA.................... INDIA

Posted by SixFourOut on (April 2, 2011, 4:52 GMT)

I'm an OZealander and really like both these teams. Whoever wins I'm happy.

Posted by 9ST9 on (April 2, 2011, 4:48 GMT)

may the best team win - proud of sri lanka - both the players and the public. proud of the attitude and the good humor in which we take both victories and defeats.

Posted by Bluelite on (April 2, 2011, 4:46 GMT)

Awesome article! Almost got a bump in my throat while reading it!

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 4:41 GMT)

lol i guess i'll support Sri Lanka, i wish some day we'll actually be supporting our own team in a world cup final.

Posted by courierpost on (April 2, 2011, 4:07 GMT)

bang on i feel the same looking from a distance a kiwi fan

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 4:04 GMT)

LOL at the urbane dictionary reference... haha

Posted by dilshara on (April 2, 2011, 3:50 GMT)

This is a strange sort of article. It's quite nice but the headline says "India or Sri Lanka: Whom to support?" and then the entire article doesn't mention Sri Lanka once. Hmm strange. Nice but strange.

Posted by rp.neuli on (April 2, 2011, 3:46 GMT)

India should surprise SL by taking both powerplays early in the game, when they have all/8 wickets in hand. later on they can try keeping 5-6/over.

Posted by   on (April 2, 2011, 3:33 GMT)

well written mate... let the best team will

FeedbackTop
Sahil DuttaClose
Sahil Dutta Assistant editor Sahil Dutta grew up supporting England during the 90s. Despite this, he still enjoys the game. His unrequited passions for Graeme Hick and, in latter years, Vikram Solanki gave him a stoicism that guided him through an Economics degree and a stint working at the European Parliament. He maintains the purest love for Tests and the whims of legspin bowling and still harbours hope that he could be the answer to England's long search for a mystery spinner. As it is, his most exciting cricketing experience was planning a trip to Australia for the 2006-07 Ashes with two utterly indifferent friends. Unfortunately his lung collapsed shortly before his planned departure and the pair were left to wander around from Test to Test, unprepared and clueless. Any comparisons with England are far too obvious to make. That cancelled holiday inspired an Ashes blog which led, via some tea-making at the Wisden Cricketer, to the ESPNcricinfo towers.

Gower savours life at the last chance saloon

Rewind: David Gower was on the verge of being dropped for good in 1990 when he made a charismatic century against India

The diggers' doctor

Ashley Mallett: One of few non-cricketers to share a bond with Sr Don Bradman was a South Australian doctor, Donald Beard

For the love of cricket grounds

Review: A diligent examination of grounds in Britain that no longer host first-class cricket

'He's got no real weaknesses'

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss Jacques Kallis' terrific record in all conditions

Whose top five is that? Not New Zealand's?

The Beige Brigade boys roll out an old hit about Monty P and his black patka, and discuss Pakistan v NZ

India look for their Indian summer

Billboards are calling the series England's Indian Summer, but it is India who are looking for that period of warmth, redemption after the last whitewash, for they have seen how bleak the winter that can follow is

South Africa face the Kallis question

Accommodation for a great player like Jacques Kallis should be made with careful consideration and South Africa cannot get carried away with sentiment

India's bowling leader conundrum

The present Indian bowling line-up will tackle its first five-Test series without the proven guidance of Zaheer Khan, their bowling captain. India had unravelled without him in 2011. Will they do better this time around?

Five key head-to-heads

From two embattled captains to the challenge for India's openers against the new ball, ESPNcricinfo picks five contests that could determine the series

Bevan's best, and a combined Indo-Pak team

A look back at five high-profile exhibition matches

India look for their Indian summer (87)

South Africa face the Kallis question (55)

India's bowling leader conundrum (44)

Five key head-to-heads (33)

Shakib puts on brave face after suspension (31)

Shakib Al Hasan trained with his team-mates as the BCB directors held their meeting in Mirpur, unaware of the massive punishment he was about to be hit with