Zimbabwe news January 26, 2011

Ervine pulls out of World Cup squad

ESPNcricinfo staff
41

Sean Ervine has pulled out of Zimbabwe's squad for the World Cup, and will remain at Hampshire in 2011. Ervine, who had been named in both the preliminary and finalised squads for the tournament, had a change of heart shortly before the national team were due to depart for a training camp in Dubai.

"After having had time to reflect on all of the circumstances, I have realised that this is not the right time to leave Hampshire," said Ervine. "I have a great relationship with this club and its supporters and I feel like part of a family. I feel Hampshire is my home; so much so that I am planning to get married there next year. I do not, therefore, want to be away for long periods of time."

It had appeared certain that Ervine would part ways with Hampshire to reignite his international career, which he described as his "ultimate goal", but his decision not to play for Zimbabwe means he will not be considered an overseas player - a position filled by legspinner Imran Tahir at Hampshire - and will therefore be eligible to play for the county in all forms of the game in 2011. Ervine had proved a success in his six years with the club, helping the team to three trophies, scoring 3,956 first-class runs and taking 118 first class wickets in the process.

"We are very happy that Sean has come to this conclusion," said Hampshire manager Giles White. "He is an important and highly-valued cricketer who is popular with everyone associated with The Rose Bowl and central to our plans for the future."

Alistair Campbell, the head of Zimbabwe's selection panel and former national captain, expressed his disappointment at Ervine's withdrawal. "Zimbabwe Cricket was very excited about Sean coming back into the setup. However, he may not have realised that international cricket is a lot harder than he remembers," Campbell said in a ZC statement.

"He has lived a very comfortable life in county cricket for the last six years and obviously decided at the last minute he might not be up to the challenges of international cricket after all. A lot of people have gone to a lot of effort to make it happen for Sean. Although is very late in the day to change his mind, it is better than realising his mistake during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011."

ZC has approached the ICC Event Technical Committee to seek approval for batsman Tino Mawoyo to replace Ervine in the squad. An opening batsman, Mawoyo played two one-day internationals against Bangladesh in 2006 and is a regular in the Zimbabwe A line-up. He had been named as a non-travelling reserve for the World Cup before Ervine's last-minute departure. Craig Ervine, Sean's younger brother, remains part of Zimbabwe's squad.

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • dummy4fb on January 29, 2011, 17:32 GMT

    I think every cricketer dream is playing worldcup for his country.

    erivine should change his decision play in world cup for ZIM.

  • pom_basher on January 28, 2011, 11:00 GMT

    Pommies are just stealing cricketers from Africa.... not good...

  • dummy4fb on January 28, 2011, 7:53 GMT

    It's disappointing that Sean Ervine has made a last minute pull out of the World Cup

  • luvgee on January 28, 2011, 7:51 GMT

    money money money...one day u will wake up to regret that move and i do hope we have all opened our eyes...go bek we dont care but just u watch all the other lads will be rejoicing afta the world cup.go zim go

  • dummy4fb on January 27, 2011, 16:04 GMT

    A sad day 4 INTL cricket bt v hv 2 respect it.This shows that Zim nw have to rely on their young guns and black majority to be top 6 in cricket

    @YorkshirePudding..... u so easily suggest that he can play for ireland.Im a big supporter of associates esp.IRE and also ZIM.yes IRE needs to develop bt they shouldnt poach ZIM players just like ENG are poaching IRE players and county poaches many from NZ,IRE,NETH,SA,Zim and WIndies. Ervine shd have played this WC or he shouldnt have submitted his name and shouldnt have considered himself 4 selection.He is setting a bad precedent. Anywayz All d best 4 ervine and Zim Cricket. Zim are one of ma favorite teams and hope they win some big games with lesser known players and popularise CRICKET as No 1 sport in Zim.

  • kdcricket on January 27, 2011, 15:53 GMT

    Although he is free to decide his future, yet the moment he chose to let go of Zimbabwe is a questionable one. World Cup is not the time to unsettle a team. He could have made it clear right from the beginning....this leaves a very bad taste

  • Hunsy on January 27, 2011, 14:45 GMT

    It's been on the cards for a while that Ervine could walk back into the Zimbabwe team, so if in Ervine's own words "I feel Hampshire is my home" then shame the county didn't show the same loyalty and say to him to play for his country and they'd engaged him as their overseas player! Feel for Zimbabwe who need all the quality they can get, but really surprised they haven't called up Hammy Mas as replacement!

  • Robster1 on January 27, 2011, 13:06 GMT

    Taken the soft, unadventerous option eh Sean. And like Jacques Rudolph, you'll regret playing solely in dull and weak English county cricket. Money, money, money....

  • dummy4fb on January 27, 2011, 12:38 GMT

    @ Vr Mahesh , Sean ervine is quality cricketer?, Pathetic looser, i hate him now on..real idiot..poor old zim...

  • dummy4fb on January 27, 2011, 10:37 GMT

    it is very sad that he pulled out.he is a good quality cricketer.

  • No featured comments at the moment.