- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc †Richardson b Donald1626382061.53c Kirsten b Donald11527035214042.59lbw b Pollock29921144031.52b Symcox1134511032.35c †Richardson b Schultz822281036.36c Bacher b Symcox1156752019.64lbw b Donald1234600035.29not out12826735011147.94lbw b Pollock0513000.00lbw b Pollock45811065255.55b Cronje591061834455.66Extras22 (b 2, lb 7, nb 13)TOTAL456 all out (162.5 Overs, RR: 2.8)Fall of wickets: 1-45 (Saeed Anwar), 2-114 (Mohammad Ramzan), 3-135 (Ijaz Ahmed), 4-152 (Inzamam-ul-Haq), 5-196 (Mohammad Wasim), 6-206 (Ali Naqvi), 7-230 (Moin Khan), 8-231 (Saqlain Mushtaq), 9-305 (Waqar Younis), 10-456 (Mushtaq Ahmed)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Ijaz Ahmed b Saqlain Mushtaq983444257028.48c Mohammad Ramzan b Saqlain Mushtaq501421993035.21lbw b Saqlain Mushtaq611572136038.85lbw b Saqlain Mushtaq1645593035.55c Ijaz Ahmed b Azhar Mahmood2459913040.67c Ijaz Ahmed b Saqlain Mushtaq727491025.92c †Mohammad Wasim b Azhar Mahmood48991364148.48not out451241685036.29st †Mohammad Wasim b Mushtaq Ahmed5651083.33c Saeed Anwar b Mushtaq Ahmed01721000.00lbw b Mushtaq Ahmed1790014.28Extras48 (b 20, lb 9, nb 15, w 4)TOTAL403 all out (167.5 Overs, RR: 2.4)Fall of wickets: 1-107 (Adam Bacher), 2-221 (Jacques Kallis), 3-228 (Gary Kirsten), 4-249 (Daryll Cullinan), 5-278 (Hansie Cronje), 6-282 (Brian McMillan), 7-388 (Shaun Pollock), 8-393 (Pat Symcox), 9-399 (Allan Donald), 10-403 (Brett Schultz)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc sub (JN Rhodes) b Donald412121033.33c †Richardson b Kallis1927573070.37c Cronje b Kallis749710014.28b Symcox1638502042.10c Symcox b Cronje568213110068.29c Pollock b Symcox1020261050.00not out50961378152.08not out633560018.18Extras14 (b 2, lb 2, nb 10)TOTAL182/6 (57.4 Overs, RR: 3.15)Fall of wickets: 1-5 (Saeed Anwar), 2-33 (Ali Naqvi), 3-42 (Mohammad Ramzan), 4-66 (Ijaz Ahmed), 5-80 (Mohammad Wasim), 6-148 (Inzamam-ul-Haq)
Pakistan , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
3-match series level 0-0
6,7,8,9,10 October 1997 (5-day match)
- Mon, 06 Oct - day 1 - Pakistan 1st innings 216/6 (Moin Khan 8*, Azhar Mahmood 4*)
- Tue, 07 Oct - day 2 - Pakistan 1st innings 345/9 (Azhar Mahmood 72*, Mushtaq Ahmed 6*)
- Wed, 08 Oct - day 3 - South Africa 1st innings 139/1 (G Kirsten 62*, JH Kallis 20*)
- Thu, 09 Oct - day 4 - South Africa 1st innings 359/6 (SM Pollock 35*, DJ Richardson 30*)
- Fri, 10 Oct - day 5 - Pakistan 2nd innings 182/6 (57.4 ov) - end of match
- The 10th wicket partnership of 151 between Azhar Mahmood and Mushtaq Ahmed equalled the Test record for this wicket (Hastings and Collinge for New Zealand v Pakistan, Auckland, 1972-73), and beat the previous Pakistan record of 133 (Wasim Raja and Wasim Bari, v West Indies, Bridgetown, 1976-77)
- Azhar Mahmood is the 6th Pakistani batsman to score a century on debut.
- First occasion of two players making century on debut (Ali Naqvi and Azhar Mahmood) in the same Test innings.
- Highest Test scores for Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed.
- 3 hours of play lost due to overnight rain and wet outfield.
- Brett Schultz has injured his shoulder and may not bowl further in the match.
- Pakistan 1st innings: 3x7-ball overs (by umpire Javed Akhtar - overs 21, 83 and 105)
- Pakistan 1st innings: 1x5-ball over (by umpire Javed Akhtar - over 35)
- Ali Naqvi is the 5th Pakistani batsman to score a century on debut.
- New ball taken after 82 overs.
- At the end of 82nd over, Schultz left the field. Rhodes came on as the substitute.
- Moin Khan had an all run 4.
- The light was offered to the batsmen after 86.2 overs, ending play on the first day.