In the news
- So far this season Shivam Dube has scored 279 runs in nine innings, at an average of 34.87 and a strike rate of 160.34. But Mumbai could bring on Bumrah against him. Bumrah has got Dube out twice in 17 balls while giving away only ten runs.
- Super Kings have three left-handers in their top six. Mumbai can counter that by bringing in offspinner Hrithik Shokeen for legspinner M Ashwin.
- Pollard has had an underwhelming season with the bat but against Super Kings, he could be handy with the ball. He has dismissed Conway three times in 17 balls for just 17 runs. He has been successful against Robin Uthappa too, with three dismissals in 32 balls for 42 runs. Against Moeen Ali, it's two dismissals in 25 balls for 25 runs. So Mumbai may use his bowling skills more than they usually do.
Stats that matter
- In IPL 2022, Pollard has scored only 144 runs in 11 innings at an average of 14.40 and a strike rate of 107.46. Among those who have faced a minimum of 100 balls, only Kane Williamson (96.13) and Ajinkya Rahane (100.96) have a lower strike rate. His numbers against spin are even worse: five dismissals at an average of 6.80 and a strike rate of 82.92.
- Rohit, too, has struggled against spin this season, scoring only 33 runs off 32 balls while being dismissed four times.
- Bumrah has contrasting numbers against Gaikwad and Dhoni. Gaikwad has taken him for 21 runs off ten balls without getting out, while Dhoni has scored only 60 runs off 60 balls against him with three dismissals.
Hemant Brar is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo