Bangladesh v England, 2nd Test, Dhaka, 5th day March 24, 2010

Bangladesh ran out of steam - Shakib

Shakib Al Hasan admitted that the experience of taking consecutive Test matches deep into the fifth day had left his team weary when it came to the sharp end of the contest, as he reflected on a series from which his players emerged with great credit, but once again, nothing tangible to show for their efforts.

For Shakib it was a match from which he took great personal pride, as he underlined his credentials as a world-class allrounder with scores of 49 and 96, as well as a marathon haul of 4 for 124 in 66 first-innings overs. But those three statistical near-misses encapsulated the frustrations that Bangladesh felt collectively, as a match that they had dominated for large parts of the first half of the game degenerated into a sapping nine-wicket defeat.

"We were bowling in the last session of the fifth day, and in the last Test we also played five days, so it was tiring for us," said Shakib. "Normally we don't play so much cricket, so it was a very tough job for us, and I think many of us lost our intensity. We need to see how physically fit we are, because maybe some of us thought we cannot do it anymore at this stage. When England got to 100 for 1, we were a bit loose, which should not have happened."

Inevitably, much of the blame for Bangladesh's collapse will be pinned on the umpiring on the third day, but Shakib denied that his side had still been dwelling on those missed opportunities when they shipped six match-changing wickets the following day. Instead he blamed misfortune, with Junaid Siddique being caught off Alastair Cook's boot, and Imrul Kayes bowled via an improbable deflection off the thigh-pad.

But at 172 for 6, with a lead of 94 going into the final day, there was still a slender opportunity to bat out for a draw, a result that would have counted as a very moral victory. Shakib's intent was plain upon the resumption, as he set about establishing a total that could be defended, but in the end he played one rash shot too many with a century beckoning and only the No. 11 Rubel Hossain for company.

"The situation was that we had to score either 40-odd runs or survive 10 more overs," said Shakib, whose stumping for 96 off James Tredwell left England needing 209 in a minimum of 55 overs. "I thought the second one was a difficult option, so I went for my shot. Maybe I could have defended it, but in that case, if Rubel was out in the next over, I would have regretted it.

Shakib Al Hasan bemoans his near-misses

"At first I thought to play a sweep over square leg," he said. "Then I thought his ball was not spinning at all. Everything was coming straight, so I wanted to play straight. But that did spin and I missed it. It was a very tricky situation because I had to think both attack and defence, and I've hardly ever faced a situation like this. It was a new experience for us, but hopefully we will learn from it.

"Personally, I tried to give whatever I could. If you consider my Test career, I would say I worked harder in this Test than anyone," he added. "I just wanted another 20-25 runs, so that we could have push them. If they had needed more than 110 runs in each session things would have been easier for us. But they needed only 100 and 100, and on the last day of the last game, it was difficult for us."

For Shakib, it was the third time in his Test career that he had been stuck on 96 at the end of an innings, although he did reach his maiden century against New Zealand in February. "Nowadays luck is not doing any favour to me," he said. "I've got 49, 96, four wickets ... the last one was not coming. Hopefully luck will smile on me again."

With a little more experience - and they are gaining more and more with each match - Bangladesh will be better placed in the future to capitalise on situations such as they faced in this contest. For all that England's approach to the match attracted few admirers, their greater awareness of the end-game paid off in the final stages, as Cook pointed out afterwards.

"I think we could have chased up to 250 in 50 overs on that wicket," said Cook. "We didn't mind Bangladesh playing a few shots, because we were happy to sacrifice a few runs for wickets, instead of having to prise them out. Once we'd got a good start, and kept our wickets in hand, towards the end we felt we could chase anything down.

"On that wicket, you needed a really big score in the first innings," he added. "Bangladesh needed a bigger score if they wanted to win the game, and they will learn from that experience that 400 wasn't good enough. But the fight that they showed here and at Chittagong has surprised us all and it bodes well for their future."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh.

• Jipster on March 28, 2010, 17:11 GMT

Quoted from the BD captain - "and I've hardly ever faced a situation like this. It was a new experience for us, but hopefully we will learn from it. ". I know there are mixed feelings amongst the BD supporters, but as an Englishman, the above quote does sum it up in my opinion. BD has some serious talent, but there are still problems. I think Siddo has done a great job with your team, but there is still a lot to do - I personally think BD IS improving, but the team needs, more than anything, to get it into their heads that Test cricket isn't 1 day cricket. Tamim WILL be a world name in the game - that man is very good, but the heart and sould of cricket is 5 day Test matches. BD went to 5 days in both tests, which IS a huge improvement from the last time ENG played them, but now Bangladesh needs to KEEP that in their heads, because 1 series is just 1 series. They have to do that in EVERY test, and in EVERY country. BD are Tigers, don't give up your faith in your team. Regards from ENG.

• Jipster on March 28, 2010, 14:32 GMT

• Zeeleon on March 27, 2010, 12:47 GMT

Killswithch, you are right I am among the losers cuz I am a Bangladeshi. I don't like being on losing side year after year for a decade! And for your information I didn't see only the scoreboard rather almost each ball for 5 days and so I mostly did for last 10 years. A good day in the field for Bangladesh makes my day. Praising the team just for the effort is not necessarily a positive criticism. see again the caption of this article "Bangladesh ran out of steam" ..not me its the captain who said it! and he is so right. In all most all the test matches they ran out of steam. See the 2nd innings stat of Bangladesh. What they need is to understand 'Test Match' and for that matter 'Cricket'. Captain getting out of a silly shot to get his hundred where trying to survive there and succeeding could have saved the match. They had seen Inzamam, Ponting and Vettori playing against them first hand and what they have learned? Nothing. For me if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

• killswitch on March 25, 2010, 18:52 GMT

@ zeeleon and robert brown we have got sum bunch of loosers commenting on results but hasnt gone thru scorecards or any articles .let me ask sumt sum questions first 1 - how cum a player scores half centuries in both the test innings against eng 2- how cum a player takes 4 wickets and yet scores 49 and 96 coz after all they are all ordinary players of a very ordinary team eng has been playin test for over 100 years and ban for 10 years but still eng had to play 5 days to win agains a ban who are a very ordinary team indeed and if u not gone thru the match articles den let me remind u , with dos 3 umpiring decision given on favor of ban . eng cud hav given a ordinary team lik ban a 100 run first inngs lead . I wonder wat u wer to tell on dis ??

• Zeeleon on March 25, 2010, 14:44 GMT

Bangladesh doesn't need experience it needs good players who can think about winning and winning only. If it was about experience alone then England and Australia would have been number 1 and 2. Despite having all the experiences West Indies team is no more a cricketing power simply because they don't have those good players anymore! Imagine West Indies media and fans waiting for their team to gain experience and asking for more international exposure to ICC and saying they are 'improving' and gaining 'experience after every match they lose!

• dummy4fb on March 25, 2010, 14:38 GMT

I can see that cricket people find some comments very racist and so one sided on this site that they do not like to make comments, and one is honest in his assessments of the Bangladesh cricket team, and i will always tell it as it is. now someone wrote on here today saying that England have not one a world cup, this was not the point i was writing about, i wrote how England one every game, and how commentators and Bangladesh were sore looser,s ,and also very close to being racist. .now as far as world cups go at least England have played in 2 finals something Bangladesh will never achieve.and just to let you know i am Australian. i live in Adelaide South Australia. why i stick up for England, is that they have come to your country and just treated like they were the ones who lost 5 matches ,and we all know that they were the victors of all 5 matches , now if you want respect from world cricket start being good sports and accept that you were beaten by a far better side .

• Zeeleon on March 25, 2010, 14:22 GMT

When shall we get it that international sports is all about winning and not just playing good. People are just showing you pity when they say that we are 'improving' C'mon guys we had been hearing about it ever since we got in international cricket. Remember the test matches in Pakistan and against Australia and Newzeland in Bangladesh and how close we were to winning those test matches! The funny thing is that if we cannot learn how to win matches then 10 years from now we will still be hearing that we are 'improving' and undoubtedly the media and the Bangladeshi cricket fans will try to announce it to the world. Knowing the limitations and being quiet about it wiser than making people laugh saying about 'if's and 'but's. Test match is a test of character, its about temperament, frame of mind and loads of patience. A test cricketer has to change his plying style according to situations. Above everything it needs a cricketing brain perhaps where our players are far behind from the rest

• dummy4fb on March 25, 2010, 14:15 GMT

again... a test series lost 2-0 ... i completely agree wid Sudhirhk .. They are an ordinary side.. and handling them the test status was the biggest flaw of ICC ever...again we are hearing the bangladeshi fans speaking of improving ... from the last decade We all are hearing about 'improvement' from dem... if these defeats are 'improvement'... then we dont want these improvements from dem... World cricket needs competitive sides not club sides like Bangladesh is becoming..

• satty_kolkata on March 25, 2010, 13:47 GMT

who won the test????? at the end did cricket really win??? i know it would be written that BANGLADESH lost but as far as supporting cricket is concerned its BANGLADESH who had won it.... every one knows why. these white people would always try to dominate.but very soon BANGLADESH would get it.

• Sayeed. on March 25, 2010, 9:42 GMT

Terrific Cricket by Tiger. I plea to Prime Ministry of Bangladesh to look over cricket. Plz Make cricket away from any ill person. Plz kick Lotus Kamal, BCCB President, out from Cricket. He is a ill guy for Bangladesh cricket. What we have seen in Dhaka test which was very very close to create a history but due to lack of Review system it did not happen. Lotus did many awful jobs after sitting on top of cricket like this.

We love cricket . We , who are living in abroad,feel proud to be introduce ourself as Bangladeshi because everybody knows us due to cricket.............

• No featured comments at the moment.