Bangladesh v England, 2nd Test, Dhaka, 5th day

Bangladesh ran out of steam - Shakib

Andrew Miller in Dhaka

March 24, 2010

Shakib al Hasan charged down the pitch to be stumped for 96, Bangladesh v England, 2nd Test, Dhaka, 5th day, March 24, 2010
Shakib Al Hasan was stumped for 96, missing another milestone in a notable personal Test © Getty Images
Players/Officials: Shakib Al Hasan
Series/Tournaments: England tour of Bangladesh

Shakib Al Hasan admitted that the experience of taking consecutive Test matches deep into the fifth day had left his team weary when it came to the sharp end of the contest, as he reflected on a series from which his players emerged with great credit, but once again, nothing tangible to show for their efforts.

For Shakib it was a match from which he took great personal pride, as he underlined his credentials as a world-class allrounder with scores of 49 and 96, as well as a marathon haul of 4 for 124 in 66 first-innings overs. But those three statistical near-misses encapsulated the frustrations that Bangladesh felt collectively, as a match that they had dominated for large parts of the first half of the game degenerated into a sapping nine-wicket defeat.

"We were bowling in the last session of the fifth day, and in the last Test we also played five days, so it was tiring for us," said Shakib. "Normally we don't play so much cricket, so it was a very tough job for us, and I think many of us lost our intensity. We need to see how physically fit we are, because maybe some of us thought we cannot do it anymore at this stage. When England got to 100 for 1, we were a bit loose, which should not have happened."

Inevitably, much of the blame for Bangladesh's collapse will be pinned on the umpiring on the third day, but Shakib denied that his side had still been dwelling on those missed opportunities when they shipped six match-changing wickets the following day. Instead he blamed misfortune, with Junaid Siddique being caught off Alastair Cook's boot, and Imrul Kayes bowled via an improbable deflection off the thigh-pad.

But at 172 for 6, with a lead of 94 going into the final day, there was still a slender opportunity to bat out for a draw, a result that would have counted as a very moral victory. Shakib's intent was plain upon the resumption, as he set about establishing a total that could be defended, but in the end he played one rash shot too many with a century beckoning and only the No. 11 Rubel Hossain for company.

"The situation was that we had to score either 40-odd runs or survive 10 more overs," said Shakib, whose stumping for 96 off James Tredwell left England needing 209 in a minimum of 55 overs. "I thought the second one was a difficult option, so I went for my shot. Maybe I could have defended it, but in that case, if Rubel was out in the next over, I would have regretted it.

I've got 49, 96, four wickets ... the last one was not coming. Hopefully luck will smile on me again Shakib Al Hasan bemoans his near-misses

"At first I thought to play a sweep over square leg," he said. "Then I thought his ball was not spinning at all. Everything was coming straight, so I wanted to play straight. But that did spin and I missed it. It was a very tricky situation because I had to think both attack and defence, and I've hardly ever faced a situation like this. It was a new experience for us, but hopefully we will learn from it.

"Personally, I tried to give whatever I could. If you consider my Test career, I would say I worked harder in this Test than anyone," he added. "I just wanted another 20-25 runs, so that we could have push them. If they had needed more than 110 runs in each session things would have been easier for us. But they needed only 100 and 100, and on the last day of the last game, it was difficult for us."

For Shakib, it was the third time in his Test career that he had been stuck on 96 at the end of an innings, although he did reach his maiden century against New Zealand in February. "Nowadays luck is not doing any favour to me," he said. "I've got 49, 96, four wickets ... the last one was not coming. Hopefully luck will smile on me again."

With a little more experience - and they are gaining more and more with each match - Bangladesh will be better placed in the future to capitalise on situations such as they faced in this contest. For all that England's approach to the match attracted few admirers, their greater awareness of the end-game paid off in the final stages, as Cook pointed out afterwards.

"I think we could have chased up to 250 in 50 overs on that wicket," said Cook. "We didn't mind Bangladesh playing a few shots, because we were happy to sacrifice a few runs for wickets, instead of having to prise them out. Once we'd got a good start, and kept our wickets in hand, towards the end we felt we could chase anything down.

"On that wicket, you needed a really big score in the first innings," he added. "Bangladesh needed a bigger score if they wanted to win the game, and they will learn from that experience that 400 wasn't good enough. But the fight that they showed here and at Chittagong has surprised us all and it bodes well for their future."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh.

RSS Feeds: Andrew Miller

Posted by Jipster on (March 28, 2010, 17:11 GMT)

Quoted from the BD captain - "and I've hardly ever faced a situation like this. It was a new experience for us, but hopefully we will learn from it. ". I know there are mixed feelings amongst the BD supporters, but as an Englishman, the above quote does sum it up in my opinion. BD has some serious talent, but there are still problems. I think Siddo has done a great job with your team, but there is still a lot to do - I personally think BD IS improving, but the team needs, more than anything, to get it into their heads that Test cricket isn't 1 day cricket. Tamim WILL be a world name in the game - that man is very good, but the heart and sould of cricket is 5 day Test matches. BD went to 5 days in both tests, which IS a huge improvement from the last time ENG played them, but now Bangladesh needs to KEEP that in their heads, because 1 series is just 1 series. They have to do that in EVERY test, and in EVERY country. BD are Tigers, don't give up your faith in your team. Regards from ENG.

Posted by Jipster on (March 28, 2010, 14:32 GMT)

Posted by Zeeleon on (March 27, 2010, 12:47 GMT)

Killswithch, you are right I am among the losers cuz I am a Bangladeshi. I don't like being on losing side year after year for a decade! And for your information I didn't see only the scoreboard rather almost each ball for 5 days and so I mostly did for last 10 years. A good day in the field for Bangladesh makes my day. Praising the team just for the effort is not necessarily a positive criticism. see again the caption of this article "Bangladesh ran out of steam" ..not me its the captain who said it! and he is so right. In all most all the test matches they ran out of steam. See the 2nd innings stat of Bangladesh. What they need is to understand 'Test Match' and for that matter 'Cricket'. Captain getting out of a silly shot to get his hundred where trying to survive there and succeeding could have saved the match. They had seen Inzamam, Ponting and Vettori playing against them first hand and what they have learned? Nothing. For me if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Posted by killswitch on (March 25, 2010, 18:52 GMT)

@ zeeleon and robert brown we have got sum bunch of loosers commenting on results but hasnt gone thru scorecards or any articles .let me ask sumt sum questions first 1 - how cum a player scores half centuries in both the test innings against eng 2- how cum a player takes 4 wickets and yet scores 49 and 96 coz after all they are all ordinary players of a very ordinary team eng has been playin test for over 100 years and ban for 10 years but still eng had to play 5 days to win agains a ban who are a very ordinary team indeed and if u not gone thru the match articles den let me remind u , with dos 3 umpiring decision given on favor of ban . eng cud hav given a ordinary team lik ban a 100 run first inngs lead . I wonder wat u wer to tell on dis ??

Posted by Zeeleon on (March 25, 2010, 14:44 GMT)

Bangladesh doesn't need experience it needs good players who can think about winning and winning only. If it was about experience alone then England and Australia would have been number 1 and 2. Despite having all the experiences West Indies team is no more a cricketing power simply because they don't have those good players anymore! Imagine West Indies media and fans waiting for their team to gain experience and asking for more international exposure to ICC and saying they are 'improving' and gaining 'experience after every match they lose!

Posted by   on (March 25, 2010, 14:38 GMT)

I can see that cricket people find some comments very racist and so one sided on this site that they do not like to make comments, and one is honest in his assessments of the Bangladesh cricket team, and i will always tell it as it is. now someone wrote on here today saying that England have not one a world cup, this was not the point i was writing about, i wrote how England one every game, and how commentators and Bangladesh were sore looser,s ,and also very close to being racist. .now as far as world cups go at least England have played in 2 finals something Bangladesh will never achieve.and just to let you know i am Australian. i live in Adelaide South Australia. why i stick up for England, is that they have come to your country and just treated like they were the ones who lost 5 matches ,and we all know that they were the victors of all 5 matches , now if you want respect from world cricket start being good sports and accept that you were beaten by a far better side .

Posted by Zeeleon on (March 25, 2010, 14:22 GMT)

When shall we get it that international sports is all about winning and not just playing good. People are just showing you pity when they say that we are 'improving' C'mon guys we had been hearing about it ever since we got in international cricket. Remember the test matches in Pakistan and against Australia and Newzeland in Bangladesh and how close we were to winning those test matches! The funny thing is that if we cannot learn how to win matches then 10 years from now we will still be hearing that we are 'improving' and undoubtedly the media and the Bangladeshi cricket fans will try to announce it to the world. Knowing the limitations and being quiet about it wiser than making people laugh saying about 'if's and 'but's. Test match is a test of character, its about temperament, frame of mind and loads of patience. A test cricketer has to change his plying style according to situations. Above everything it needs a cricketing brain perhaps where our players are far behind from the rest

Posted by   on (March 25, 2010, 14:15 GMT)

again... a test series lost 2-0 ... i completely agree wid Sudhirhk .. They are an ordinary side.. and handling them the test status was the biggest flaw of ICC ever...again we are hearing the bangladeshi fans speaking of improving ... from the last decade We all are hearing about 'improvement' from dem... if these defeats are 'improvement'... then we dont want these improvements from dem... World cricket needs competitive sides not club sides like Bangladesh is becoming..

Posted by satty_kolkata on (March 25, 2010, 13:47 GMT)

who won the test????? at the end did cricket really win??? i know it would be written that BANGLADESH lost but as far as supporting cricket is concerned its BANGLADESH who had won it.... every one knows why. these white people would always try to dominate.but very soon BANGLADESH would get it.

Posted by Sayeed. on (March 25, 2010, 9:42 GMT)

Terrific Cricket by Tiger. I plea to Prime Ministry of Bangladesh to look over cricket. Plz Make cricket away from any ill person. Plz kick Lotus Kamal, BCCB President, out from Cricket. He is a ill guy for Bangladesh cricket. What we have seen in Dhaka test which was very very close to create a history but due to lack of Review system it did not happen. Lotus did many awful jobs after sitting on top of cricket like this.

We love cricket . We , who are living in abroad,feel proud to be introduce ourself as Bangladeshi because everybody knows us due to cricket.............

Posted by Sudhirhk on (March 25, 2010, 9:39 GMT)

I keep hearing that Bangladesh is improving since a very long time. How long is long? If they keep improving all the time and getting white washed in every series, be it Test matches,ODIs and 20twenty, how does one know how much they have improved? I think the team is happy with just the tag of 'a team that is improving.' Come on, how many players are there with quite an experience under their belts in the team and they keep doing the same mistakes again and again, like a record gone bad. In this scenario, how can one say they they are improving? All I can say is they have stagnated with neither the ambition nor the resolve to move ahead. Yeah, once in a blue moon they defeat a strong team that is having a bad day and live with those laurels and go back to 'improving.'

Posted by   on (March 25, 2010, 9:11 GMT)

At least people will recognize 'Bangladesh Test Cricket"

Posted by Vasik on (March 25, 2010, 9:10 GMT)

I disagree with Cook saying "400 wasn't enough". Had there been UDRS, England would have handed Bangladesh a lead of over a hundred, and it wouldd have been a different story for England's potential future captain.

Posted by   on (March 25, 2010, 8:33 GMT)

Well done sakib and co... I hope Next tour of New Zeland we will get one more test victory.

Posted by   on (March 25, 2010, 7:19 GMT)

Actually guys I do agree with all your comments and feel proud that there are fans all around the world. Cricket is a mental game, the more you play the more you grow strong. About the fifth day Sakib was talking, I know how difficult it is to concentrate for five days. But recently the tigers have started to show their claws only and need change to scratch. The bigger teams should play with the tigers regularly to give them the chance to scratch. If the bigger doesn't play with the tigers how come they know whether they would be scratched or not. The tigers are playing tests for last ten years (exclude 2 years from this as they didn't play any test then) already they have started showing their claws. Take the example of Srilanka & Newzealand. How many years they have taken to win? The tigers would also be able to do so.

So my request to ICC allow the tigers more and more and you will see the development. Bangladesh will only develop if they play with top cricket palying nations.

Posted by Shafaet on (March 25, 2010, 5:22 GMT)

England team didnt beat Bangladesh in this test. its the umpires who did that. so man of the match goes to Tony Hill

Posted by jandle on (March 25, 2010, 3:00 GMT)

As a lover and supporter of the underdogs, it watch with interest Bangladesh's improvements in cricket, in all forms of the game. I think it's disappointing that the Tigers don't get chances more often against Australia. In time, i feel Bangladesh could be a very strong cricket side, built around some quality young cricketers such as Shakib al Hasan, and i don't think we've seen the best, or the last, of young Mohammed Ashraful. Personally, as a Australian, I'd love to see the Bangladesh side tour Australia again, sooner rather than later. Win lose or draw, the experience for these cricketers would be immense.

Posted by Woody111 on (March 25, 2010, 0:36 GMT)

I've keenly followed this series and have enjoyed the determination from Bangladesh. The talent will not dissipate and so it's more persistent pressure and focus that will get them wins. Key moments play a role in every session of every day and it's England's experience at identifying these and performing better at them that has won them each game on tour. Don't lose heart, Bangladesh, improvement is part of the road to success and patience is required to turn the passion and exuberance into results.

Posted by BRIBAN on (March 24, 2010, 23:21 GMT)

Shakib should have been more patient to get his century, He could have defended it and gone for a single and waited for the next over, Anyways Bangladesh are improving all the time and I think Shakib is the right man at the helm to take the team forward , Insah Allah .

Posted by   on (March 24, 2010, 22:50 GMT)

Although i would agree with most of things been said by shakib except where he tries to give 5 day tests,flat wicket, scorching heat, exhaustion as excuses. Sorry to say but A) this is what you do for a living, this is your freaking career man. If we want you guys to perform 5 days giving in 100 percent effort and concentration we arent really asking you much i dont think Shakib.B) home conditions, you cant really blame anyone else for a flat wicket, infact as i noticed, english spinners were getting more turn out of the pitch than bangladeshi spinners which was a surprise to me C) England should have more if not equal difficulty/suffering with the pitch and the condition compared to you guys.

again bangladesh have all the talent in the world and they can compete with any team but they just dont have the temperament and Naeem Islams wicket couldnt be a better example to this. Better luck next time Bangladesh.

Posted by   on (March 24, 2010, 20:18 GMT)

After reading a comment by Robert Brown, I couldn't stop myself from not giving an ironical smile. England is definity a better team, no one can snatch their records and victories made in the past. ((I am a huge fan of Mike, Lamb- Nasir Hossain, I think he is one of the best unbiased commentator around)) Anyways.. the science of this game is such that it has ephemeral success for both opponents and plays back and forth for day, days. Poor decesions, poor batting, etc. everything is mold together for a bad performance and the loss of a game. Plently of hard working is done to sustain it. After bursting sweats, poor decsions can create inverse reaction to the minds of the players.

A fair game is expected, a fair game is all they want. Chao !!

Posted by   on (March 24, 2010, 17:47 GMT)

well sakib i understand that u all were tired and u all dnt have that experience to handle this kind of position but sakib thinj this is the last day and required run rate is 4.that time if could stop the singles by bringing fielder inside circle and bringing more close fielder to creat pressure england must had to play over the top to get 4 runs per over.that time u had the more chances to get wickets and u could get those England had to went for draw.yes for this u could lose the game more earlier but u had more chances for draw or who khows for win.but for ur negative and defensive(u started ur first over from round the wicket) you had only optiom to lose.i knw you are only 23 but as a latenent cricket like you we dont expect that.but your couch and team managment,what they are doing?i was a cricket.if i can understand this why u dont?i knw this word will never go to you bt i request cric info please convey this writting to him.we love bangladesh and cricket.

Posted by OttawaCricketNut on (March 24, 2010, 17:44 GMT)

Another Test match of "what-could-have-been" for Bangladesh! As an expat-Bangladeshi, I was proud of how the team performed during this series and watching the game on Cricinfo late into the night here in the US was worth every minute of it. They deserved to win the 2nd ODI and to draw the 2nd Test but the failure to do so shows the road they still have to travel. Let's not indulge in any unproductive finger-pointing though. My plea to BCB is to keep Shakib as the captain -- he has a good cricketing mind and abundant abilities & confidence -- but bring Mashrafe back into the team for the England tour. They'll need the experience of Mashrafe, Shahadat, Ashraful, Alok Kapali & Shahriyar Nafis in England. Good luck, Tigers!

Posted by sawn on (March 24, 2010, 17:32 GMT)

well played tigers!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by   on (March 24, 2010, 16:57 GMT)

Bangladesh have shown that they can compete with the big boys. A little more consistency and a bit of luck could have had draw written all over the final results, which would have been a huge achievement for Bangladesh. Inch at a time Bangladesh continue to improve and they finally have a true world class cricketer and captain in Sakib. They are young and talented and future looks good. The young guns Tamim, Mushfiqur, Mahmadullah, Naeem, Junaid and Shafiul are a talented bunch who are capable of making Bangladesh into a top notch batting side.

Posted by wiiCricket on (March 24, 2010, 16:23 GMT)

400 wasn't good enough? Englandoor should be thankful to Umpires or they would have eaten dirt in Chittagong...luck was with Englandoor.

Posted by _NEUTRAL_Fan_ on (March 24, 2010, 16:03 GMT)

I think Sahkib's 96 was right up there with any 100 scored in the series. He is a good player and proves he is worth a county place (also bemuses me how he missed out on IPL2) It was a near perfect captain's nock. The umpire's were also in better form over the past 2 days (there were NO HOWLERS). I hope BCB PERSISTS with the same 15 players in the future, that is the only way forward for them. They MUST learn to draw matches 1st, Naeem Islam's dismissal really disappointed me but he should be given a few more chances. As for Eng, to me only Swann, Bell, Bresnan and to a lesser extent Finn can take much from this series. I was not impressed with their performance at all, they were very negative and seeing that at least 1/2 the squad is tipped for Ashes, I think Aus are in a much much better spot and will be itching to get at them.

Andrew MillerClose
Andrew Miller Andrew Miller was saved from a life of drudgery in the City when his car caught fire on the way to an interview. He took this as a sign and fled to Pakistan where he witnessed England's historic victory in the twilight at Karachi (or thought he did, at any rate - it was too dark to tell). He then joined Wisden Online in 2001, and soon graduated from put-upon photocopier to a writer with a penchant for comment and cricket on the subcontinent. In addition to Pakistan, he has covered England tours in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, as well as the World Cup in the Caribbean in 2007
Tour Results
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 20-24, 2010
England won by 9 wickets
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 12-16, 2010
England won by 181 runs
Bangladesh A v England XI at Chittagong - Mar 7-9, 2010
Match drawn
Bangladesh v England at Chittagong - Mar 5, 2010
England won by 45 runs
Bangladesh v England at Dhaka - Mar 2, 2010
England won by 2 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
More results »