England news July 13, 2012

Pietersen reveals England u-turn

130

Kevin Pietersen has sensationally opened the door for an England comeback in limited-overs international cricket, admitting he would "love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket."

It is understood that Pietersen's representative privately met ECB officials to discuss a return on Thursday night. Pietersen is also thought to have met Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, earlier in the week.

Asked whether negotiations into his England return in all three forms of the game were ongoing, Pietersen replied: "I think so."

Pietersen did not disguise his discontent with the way he has been managed by England, matters that would surely have to be resolved if he was to make a smooth return into the England side.

He complained that he had "never been looked after" by the England management and insisted that his schedule would have to be eased before he consented to a return.

Pietersen, speaking moments after he finished the third day of Surrey's Championship match at Guildford unbeaten on 234, reiterated his desire to be included in England's World Twenty20 squad in Sri Lanka in September.

The selectors meet this weekend to pick a 30-man preliminary squad for the tournament and must submit it to the ICC on July 18. England enter the tournament as defending champions.

Pietersen retired from limited-overs international cricket at the end of May. While he wanted only to retire from the 50-over game and to continue to play T20 cricket, the terms of England central contracts state that for a player to be considered for either format of limited-overs cricket, they must be available for both.

"I've always said I want to play in the T20," Pietersen said. "But I needed to get away from the schedule. I cannot keep playing every single day's cricket. I've never been looked after. I cannot keep playing every warm-up game, I cannot keep practising every single day. There comes a time when I know what I need to do to be successful. I've got a young family and I cannot be on the treadmill all day every day.

"I've said before that, if the schedule was right, if they could sort my schedule out, I would love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket. But the schedule at the moment is a nightmare."

Morris was an influential figure when Pietersen lost his job as England captain more than three years ago after a breakdown in his relationship with England's coach at the time, Peter Moores, broke down. Moores was also sacked.

England's unease will be all the greater because Andy Flower, England's director of cricket, has referred to similar tensions in balancing his professional and personal life because of the proliferation of international cricket.

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

• CSKPON on July 16, 2012, 15:58 GMT

Dai... K.P .. You are nothing when it comes to national reputation. Just do what ever you can do. Do not dictate your own terms to the nation and to the cricketing world... Follow the rules to survive....

• JG2704 on July 16, 2012, 10:54 GMT

@AnkurTheWizard on (July 16 2012, 08:44 AM GMT) re "Its your country you are serving.." - I'm sure there will be a few comms to follow there. Seriously , I do sometimes think KP is trying to make out that he's doing Eng a huge favour. I say either stay retired or come back as though you really want to play

• JG2704 on July 16, 2012, 10:51 GMT

@ kallis57 on (July 15 2012, 20:17 PM GMT) In terms of talent alone , he'd breeze into our T20 side , but I still don't like the reluctant attitude he is showing. I think we must trust Flower on this and if KP is showing the right attitude again then Flower will pick him

• AnkurTheWizard on July 16, 2012, 8:44 GMT

KP is a great batsman and a cricketer, No second thoughts about it !! But you just cant announce Retirement and then expect that people will come and beg in front of you to come back . Its your country you are serving...you have to be a little responsible !! Talk to your board and then take a step, Its such an embarrasing gesture to pass on to your Fans...You could do better KP !! I am a Fan and I am disappointed !!

• JG2704 on July 15, 2012, 21:24 GMT

@YorkshirePudding on (July 15 2012, 08:50 AM GMT) I reckon most people on here think along the lines that KP misses being a part of a winning team and had Eng failed (as expected) with Oz , KP would still be retired. I agree with you and KP's timing of the retirement was appaling (with the T20WC so close) and TBH his comeback timing is also bad IMO and would have been better if he came back after the WC with the ODWC 3 years away , so there would have been no rush to make any hasty decisions. What I don't want is it all blowing up and affecting his test form/attitude , which it could do if he is showing the right attitude. All I know is that it feels morally wrong to bring KP straight back in but if we're all honest and we could transplant someone like Trott, Cook etcs values into KP (or if we could erase the last few months and go back to before he announced his retirement) KP would probably be(most people's) 1st or 2nd pick as a batsman in shorter formats

• madras_boy on July 15, 2012, 21:18 GMT

England won this season against Oz because Oz is weaker at the moment. I don't think they can win against SA this season without KP (ofcourse most of the matches gonna be washed out due to dad summer in England) ... Lets see...

• JG2704 on July 15, 2012, 21:04 GMT

@AKS286 on (July 15 2012, 17:20 PM GMT) - Sure , I agree with all you say re KP. I think he has probably listening to people like Gayle who has told him that he should negotiate his own terms on the T20/ODI situation and I'm with you that KP thought Oz would thrash us and the ECB would be the ones coming back to KP with their tails between their legs. My thoughts are to put him on a probation period and if he shows the right attitude etc in that time bring him back . As I posted elsewhere I'd try and squeeze him back in but I don't feel comfortable about it. If it was any other top 4 batsman I'd say sod it. I also wonder how KPs attitude towards tests will be if he is completely isolated. I do believe in second chances in such cases

• kallis57 on July 15, 2012, 20:17 GMT

If KP is available for the T20 world cup you pick him every day of the week. Firstly he is head and shoulders the best international T20 player. Secondly England have hardly played a T20 game since he 'retired' so who would be missing out? KP basically won England the T20 World Cup on the back of his batting. I believe he was player of the tournament in a landslide vote. The only people who would consider it sensible for us to leave him out would be our opponents. If I am an Indian Sri Lankan or South African bowler who do I want to see walking down the steps for England? KP or any other batsman? If you answer that question honestly then there could be no excuse for not picking the big man for T20 world cup. If you think England have moved on in the 50 over game, don't pick him. I don't think he will cry about that. However to deprive England of the worlds best player at the world cup would a gross dereliction of duty by the selectors. Just pick him.

• AKS286 on July 15, 2012, 17:20 GMT

@JG2704 on (July 14 2012, 21:20 PM GMT) KP has the delusion about himself. he intensionally took the retirement just before Oz series & wct20. he thought oz will thrash out the ENG team but the result is reverse that he expected. he also thought ECB try their best to find the substitute of KP but all youngster will flop infront of Oz. IF KP is selected for ODI and t20 then it is really unfair to the bopara,morgan. some people talk about replacing trott but this is not ethical. if he replace any batsmen then this will bring a dispute amongst the players.

• Noball_Specialist on July 15, 2012, 15:05 GMT

Doors closed now and the airplane is about to take off sorry.

• CSKPON on July 16, 2012, 15:58 GMT

• JG2704 on July 16, 2012, 10:54 GMT

• JG2704 on July 16, 2012, 10:51 GMT

• AnkurTheWizard on July 16, 2012, 8:44 GMT

• JG2704 on July 15, 2012, 21:24 GMT

• madras_boy on July 15, 2012, 21:18 GMT

• JG2704 on July 15, 2012, 21:04 GMT

• kallis57 on July 15, 2012, 20:17 GMT

• AKS286 on July 15, 2012, 17:20 GMT

• Noball_Specialist on July 15, 2012, 15:05 GMT

Doors closed now and the airplane is about to take off sorry.

• KarachiKid on July 15, 2012, 13:44 GMT

He is doing an Afridi here I guess. We Pakistanis are all too used to it.

• Meety on July 15, 2012, 11:14 GMT

@YorkshirePudding "...I just dont see England needing KP at the moment. If anything KP needs England more." - YES! I agree 100%, but that is AT THE MOMENT!

• SPunnoose on July 15, 2012, 9:47 GMT

Sorry mate your time is up. I reckon you will be out of the test team in the next 12 months and then you can imigrate to India to play IPL till you retire!!!

• YorkshirePudding on July 15, 2012, 8:50 GMT

@JG2704, as you say arguments both ways, and both are very reasonable in thier logic, I just dont see England needing KP at the moment. If anything KP needs England more.

• JG2704 on July 15, 2012, 8:07 GMT

@YorkshirePudding on (July 15 2012, 05:02 AM GMT) As I put , there are arguments either way. I think Eng will do what you suggest

• VillageBlacksmith on July 15, 2012, 6:56 GMT

@land147... you would drop Trott instead of bell?? i would be dropping bell long before Trotty mate... delboy is leagues ahead of IRB.. his ave is 50 vs bell's 35.... quite a difference i think.. in fact bell (ave 35) has the LOWEST AVE of the whole top order except bopara (32) by quite some distance... and the LOWEST STRIKE RATE of all of them..!!! pls feel free to check the stats.... kp back instead of bell would be my only change...

• Haleos on July 15, 2012, 6:37 GMT

welcome a brand new Afridi. A much moe efficient one of course.

• fijiguy on July 15, 2012, 5:44 GMT

ya just because Englands winning KP wants to come and share the limelight...and England has a chance to hold No.1 position in all 3 formats and createhistory as no other team has done and so KP wants his name to be part of it...what a selfish player...England shouldn't allow him to come back.

• YorkshirePudding on July 15, 2012, 5:02 GMT

@JG2704, I take a hard line view in regards to KP, he made a decision to retire, hoping that England would fail against the WI's and Australia, causing the ECB to backdown, but that hasnt happened and so hes trying to up the pressure on them. However in the current England set up to do what KP did when he "retired" is dangerous as there are players queuing up for selection, Hales has stepped up at T20 level, almost becoming the first English Player to make a T20 International ton, and Bell is doing a sterling job in KP's former position in the ODI's. So KP will just after go to the back of the queue, and wait until theres an opening.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 21:25 GMT

@landl47 on (July 14 2012, 20:39 PM GMT) They were my thoughts and for the same reasons although Trott is actually still our top ranked ODI batsman and I actually feel really guilty for thinking this way as Trott has always been such a committed player and KP - Well you never know how committed he would be if he thought the grass was greener elsewhere.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 21:20 GMT

@AKS286 on (July 14 2012, 19:46 PM GMT) I have mixed feelings. Kp is a huge player in the shorter formats but I also agree with you that KP has acted poorly. I mean we shouldn't forget that he was perfectly happy about dropping the retirement bombshell so close to the T20WC with no consideration for the team.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 21:14 GMT

@CricketingStargazer on (July 14 2012, 08:16 AM GMT) You missed out Bell's form. Jackiethepen will never forgive you for forgetting Bell.

• landl47 on July 14, 2012, 20:39 GMT

On the question of whom to leave out of the ODI side, I'd say Trott. Although he's reliable, I don't think he has the potential to alter the tempo of the game in the way Pietersen has. I really don't think it matters whether Bell or KP opens the batting, so let them decide between them. Bopara has to be the #6 bowler, not the #5, so none of the bowlers can be dropped. So my side is Cook, Bell, KP, Bopara, Morgan, Kies, Bres, Broad, Swann, Finn and Anderson. I might play Patel instead of one of the seamers in the subcontinent, depending on the conditions.

• AKS286 on July 14, 2012, 20:38 GMT

i think its a world record by KP "shortest returning after retirement"

• jackthelad on July 14, 2012, 20:33 GMT

I think, seriously, it would be a positive step for England to forget this self-obsessed individual. Has the team suffered without him? I don't think so. Is he irreplaeable? - events have given a resounding 'no' to that. He's good when he wants something for himself, otherwise, he'll just coast.And personally I would never pick a player, however great, who has nothing on his horizon but his own earning capacity, for any team of mine.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 19:48 GMT

@chrisalis11 on (July 14 2012, 15:30 PM GMT) It's a real tough one isn't it? I've already said I'd make room for KP because I think in these fmts he is a huge player but at the same time I'd feel uncomfortable about it. It seems to be giving the selectors a real headache because how can you leave a player of KPs class out but at the same time how can you drop any of these guys? I wouldn't be at all surprised if KP was made to wait his turn in both formats and could even miss out in the T20 WC. That would kill him but he'd only have himself to blame. I saw a Sky doc and bumble was on it talking about Lancs and he said "You're a long time retired". I wonder if someone has made KP realise this?

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 19:48 GMT

@Dravid_Gravitas on (July 14 2012, 14:02 PM GMT) Mate , it works both ways. England have also stuck by KP when he's been in bad form. I don't like the word jealousy so I'm going to use the word envious to describe KP's feelings when watching Eng succeed without him and he wants to be part of it. I honestly think he thought Eng would fail without him and there'd be a clamour for him to come back and he could pretty much negotiate his own contract. I think Eng should watch out be careful with the players who are likely to play all 3 formats and I'd be interested to see how it affects other guys if IPL show an interest in them. But Flower did say he was giving KP the whole of the WI ODI series off so I wonder if KP is milking it somewhat. It's quite ironic when our bowlers whose workloads are so much higher seem to want to play every match and are rested against their wishes

• AKS286 on July 14, 2012, 19:46 GMT

Posted by JG2704 on (July 14 2012, 14:19 PM GMT) its good for Eng's pride and honour and for the game cricket that don't allow him to play in T20 and odi. retirement and blaming others is not a joke. it doesn't matter who you are but ECB pride is more imp. ECB is not a joke. rest ECB decision but IMO play only test forget rest KP.

• jackthelad on July 14, 2012, 19:32 GMT

'I want to play Test cricket because it increases my value in the IPL' - Mr. Pietersen, a couple of months ago, interviewed on this site. He's entitled to his own prerogatives, of course, but we don't have to accept them. A great batsman (potentially) but fatally flawed in that he never really performs until he wants something for himself. Good luck to you, but, honestly, England don't need you.

• hhillbumper on July 14, 2012, 19:01 GMT

Do we need him in the team.He is a good batsman but hardly world class.Time to move on and bring in the next generation.Maybe he should go home when the Saffers do?

• TheBengalTiger on July 14, 2012, 17:21 GMT

I think the KP case is interesting. Even if he does want to come back, who wil he replace? Bopara and Bell have pretty much cemented their place in the odi side after the last performance. Trott maybe? it seems unlikely that England will want to disrupt a winning side to accomodatw Pietersen, no matter how great a player he is. Alhough from a fans point of view, I love watching him bat.

• chrisalis11 on July 14, 2012, 15:30 GMT

It would be interesting to find out who Pietersen thinks should be dropped to make room for him. Bell? Trott? Bopara? Perhaps Alistair Cook then he could captain England again. It would do the dressing room harmony no end of damage were Pietersen to be treated as a special case, playing when he felt like it. His arrogance is staggering!!!

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 14:32 GMT

@Narbavi on (July 14 2012, 03:10 AM GMT) For the ODI series Eng's 1st choice formation was 5 batsmen , Craig and 5 bowlers. Difference in ODIs and T20s is that Eng HAVE TO use 5 bowlers and while Ravi has done well in the last set of ODIs I wouldn't want to rely on him bowling 10 overs in an ODI.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 14:31 GMT

@Tigg on (July 13 2012, 21:37 PM GMT) Kieswetter had a good series behind the stumps and in his 1 inns was ok. I personally think KP will stay out of the OD side unless there's an injury or a downhill turn. Maybe that would suit both parties in the long run. Eng continue with their winning side and KP doesn't have to play ODIs and KP plays T20 Personally I'd have KP and Morgan in any shorter format side .

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 14:19 GMT

@AKS286 on (July 14 2012, 11:04 AM GMT) Was it not Gayle who said the test cricket comment? Also the jealous of IPL comment was aimed at the media , certainly not aimed at the fellow Eng players. Remember a few Eng players - Swann,Bell,Bopara and perhaps Anderson put their names forward but no one was interested.

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 14:19 GMT

@Snick_To_Backward_Point on (July 14 2012, 09:54 AM GMT) Guess you're seeing him as the Tevez of cricket then?

• JG2704 on July 14, 2012, 14:19 GMT

@DerekBrown on (July 14 2012, 13:23 PM GMT) You seriously expect us to believe that these players are hard done by?

• Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas on July 14, 2012, 14:02 GMT

Welcome back KP. Please come back. ECB, please take care of him. Fans across the globe love KP. He is once in a generations cricketer. Hope ECB cuts his workload and embraces him.

• rahulcricket007 on July 14, 2012, 13:24 GMT

KP GOING THE SHAHID AFRIDI WAY .

• DerekBrown on July 14, 2012, 13:23 GMT

KP did not quit on his own volition; England forced it on him. He is suffering the same abuse Chris Gayle, Lasith Malinga, and other good cricketeers are getting from their respective cricket boards for reasons of purity in cricket. (KP may not be useful in England but when England starts losing 0-5 overseas, ECB will start loving his centuries. Modern cricket is still in its infancy. I hope the rules will change, one format, help players stay healthy with extra fielding help and so on and on.)

• landl47 on July 14, 2012, 12:59 GMT

By "never been looked after", I take it that Pietersen means that he wasn't allowed to play a full season of IPL and then skip international matches on his return. Let's hope England doesn't cave to that kind of demand, or in a year or so England will be in the same kind of mess the West Indies are in now.

• depp17 on July 14, 2012, 12:40 GMT

KP I am glad you are thinking of playing for English Team, you on the team or on screen is a real threat to any team . The decision of you moving out of limited over cricket was really weird, but then we never know what you have been going through and all the folks who are against you would keep their silence once you keep winning matches for the team, you have always done that and you would do .KP rocks

• vak1997 on July 14, 2012, 12:36 GMT

does KP thinks retirement is a joke? he should have thought it before he announced his retirement from the limited overs. it has happened with shahid afridi as well. hope this doesn't happen. there wasn't any need for KP to retire though..

• MartinC on July 14, 2012, 12:36 GMT

Interesting timing. England beat Oz 4-0 without him, Ian Bell scores heavily in the position he held and suddenly he is 'open to a return if the schedule suits him'?

No question he worthy of a place in all 3 England teams if he is committed to playing his full part. To get back in the ODI side though he will need to show that he is truly committed to the full schedule for 2013 with no qualification. Any rest or rotation must be purely a matter for the England management not a matter of negotiation with his 'people'.

If that's not acceptable to Pietersen we will just have to struggle on without him .....

• Raj1969 on July 14, 2012, 12:29 GMT

Beware a dangerous team has one more dangerous batsman coming back :::::::::::alert 4others;;;;;;

• getsetgopk on July 14, 2012, 12:13 GMT

The man tried to ditch England for IPL, he should be shown the door, period.

• 777aditya on July 14, 2012, 11:46 GMT

for God's sakes Kevin, make up your mind! - you sound fickler than my nagging mom-in-law!!!

• Anwar-Lara on July 14, 2012, 11:32 GMT

The world doesn't revolve around you KP..

• AKS286 on July 14, 2012, 11:04 GMT

some of the KP comments- when he came to eng he questioned about SA selection and told whole world that SA cricket board is useless, when he start playing for eng he says "i don't care if test cricket dies", another comment eng is jealous to ipl and eng players jealous to me as i play in ipl, "i'm retired to cricket is due to eng internal politics " now very recent comment "ipl & t20 is the future of cricket." i don't want to see players like gayle & KP who always put HIMSELF, IPL ahead of their country, board, team & cricket. publish it cricinfo.

• richardror on July 14, 2012, 11:00 GMT

Please Kevin, England doesn't want and certainly doesn't need you anymore. There is no space left for you in the t20 side, Alex Hales has made sure of that and Ian Bell has proved to be a far worthier man for the opening spot in the ODI side. Work on your test batting and you will have more time for big innings.

• Meety on July 14, 2012, 10:51 GMT

KP, where do I start? I wonder if the missus has him changing nappies or cooking breakfast too much & he has had enuff? LOL - just kidding. Didn't hear boo out of him when he got 15 runs in 4 T20 innings, scores well & suddenly he is talking, (coincidently whilst the National side is humming along nicely without him). If it weren't for the fact he is such a good/great batsmen, the selectors shouldn't select him in any format as he must be destabilising & it is hard to picture him as being a part of the obvious unity in the ret of the team. Anyways, the fact is, he is a damm fine batsmen & it is not hard to see why Team England work with his eccentricities.

• Oldpunk on July 14, 2012, 10:38 GMT

We don't need him. In 2005 KP was the first name down on the team sheet. But England has moved on. We can now field a team of real English players and be competitive in all three formats. He is irrelevant background noise that detracts from the team ethic. I hope Flower stands his ground and leaves KP to enjoy the county circuit.

• R_U_4_REAL_NICK on July 14, 2012, 10:36 GMT

No thanks, don't need you anymore KP. Thanks for your help... enjoy your 'retirement'. Unbelievable... England management insist on rotations, and this guy says he "wasn't looked after"; goes out and abandons the England team, and then ONE double hundred in county cricket and he thinks he's Bonnie Prince Charlie. Go write a book KP! KP plays for KP, not the team his shirt says on the logo.

• YorkshirePudding on July 14, 2012, 10:21 GMT

Kp's basically seen that hes no long in the spotlight and has been forgotten and has realised the ECB wont bend over for him or any other player. On the reverse the ECB cant back down as that will lead to chaos as other players start to make such demands. In the end KP shot himself in the foot and now regrets it, hes probably seen that he'll loose a 40-50% of his ECB contract value at the renewal. Personally england have been doing ok with out him in both forms of the game, and thats really got to hurt his oh, so fragile ego. In the end the England cricket team is about more than a single player. Good ridence to him in the shorter formats.

• henchart on July 14, 2012, 10:16 GMT

KP has emulated Pakistani cricketers who are in the habit of quitting only to be available for the next series!Poms are going to be slaughtered in India later in the year.KP can well be a part of that debacle.it speaks a lot on firm Admin. ,unlike in India where one gentleman picks and chooses series .

• ronnie22 on July 14, 2012, 10:16 GMT

Oh please no. There's a great team without him and no need for him to displace any of those now doing such a great job. and it's quite right that he shouldn't be allowed to get away with the "yes, I feel like playing, no I don't feel like playing" attitude. It seriously diiminishes the honour of representing one's country. He's made his bed and he needs to lie on it.

• oze13 on July 14, 2012, 10:10 GMT

Great stuff. Welcome back!

• ebbie-qld on July 14, 2012, 10:02 GMT

Maybe if he stopped flip flopping on every thing from the captainicy to his retirement and his lack of respect for any one except himself, he would earn some respect from most people and not just some compliments from some people for comments that don't suit the heirachy. until he settles down he will be known as a little spoilt brat and not as a very good cricketer.

• Snick_To_Backward_Point on July 14, 2012, 9:54 GMT

Why oh why does it always seem to be about Kevin Pietersen? Does the man's ego know no bounds? Eng seem to do just as well, if not better, without him! We never hear of other players moaning about how they're "not treated right", they just knuckle down and get on with it. Imagine if KP was playing for Man U - do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would put up with someone like that? No! He'd give the ego in question a soothing talk about how an individual is not bigger than the team or club and then say "on your bike son". I love KP's swashbuckling abilities - the guy is a genius - but he is so utterly selfish why not let him go off and do his own thing - it will be better for Eng in the long run.

• ali_78694 on July 14, 2012, 9:35 GMT

Glad to see KP back. He still has good 3-4 years of Cricket left in him. England has great chances to win the WC 2015 and Kp's contribution will be crucial. Looking forward to see him in Color Shirt

• SCC08 on July 14, 2012, 9:14 GMT

Firstly, I'm a proud South African.. I think this guy makes a mockery of the prestige and honour of playing for your " county ". He is obviously missing the limelight and i souldnt be surprised if he is jealous of the success that England have had without him. Great player yes, team player, NO. Personally, I'd make him honour a time period contact for the ODI / T20 ENgland team, it's obvious he wil retire after the T20 WC.... Respect to the ECB for sticking to their guns and not caving in.

• baz72notout on July 14, 2012, 9:07 GMT

@jackie the pen: agree with a lot of what you say. However does Pietersen have to open in either t20 or ODI games and face the new ball? Surely the Bell / Cook opening partnership has been a success story of the summer; having Pietersen ready to come in and hammer an attack from the number 4 slot maybe just what England needs. Tough on Bopara and/or Morgan though.

• Munkeymomo on July 14, 2012, 9:02 GMT

Great news. Put all this business behind us and forget about it. The important thing is one of the games great entertainers is back.

• Charlie101 on July 14, 2012, 8:07 GMT

Great news for England . Now we have a chance of winning the T20 world cup in September. Pieterson has the IPL experience to play spin on the pitches in Asia. I still think an Asian side will win but we have more than a squeak now.

• jackiethepen on July 14, 2012, 7:39 GMT

KP has his eye on selection for the t20 world cup. But this stand off could be a catastrophe for England just before the Test Series. Flower and the ECB should have seen this coming and avoided a power struggle. How can it possibly make sense to disrupt the ODI side to fit in a player who will only play occasionally just so he can play t20? Once KP plays in the t20 world cup his motivation will be nil to play in ODIs. KP played poorly in ODIs for three years with an average of 25 until his two tons against Pakistan. When he played in India in 2011 he got one 50. He has never liked playing the new ball. Now he will have two to play against if he opens - occasionally. No sense of disruption folks? I bet Strauss is none too pleased. The Test dressing room has been tight knit. Cook and Bell need to build their partnership long term. If KP was really keen to play ODIs it would be another matter. But lacklustre interest can only harm the side.

• Iamnotboredofcricket on July 14, 2012, 7:17 GMT

He will play the T20 World Cup and then "retire" from all limited overs again.

• i_witnessed_2011 on July 14, 2012, 7:14 GMT

Wow! New friends for Shahid Afridi in International cricket. Anyway KP we all love to see you back.

• krishna_spider on July 14, 2012, 7:06 GMT

Heartfully welcomes to u(K.P) ................It is a good decession to be back

• praveen4honestremark on July 14, 2012, 5:52 GMT

Don't take it serious England fans when people say you defeated mediocre teams or what not. And also it is just not talked liked that every where what you are thinking.So leave it. You earned a lot of respect.You have been doing great splendid job from some months to come to a position where you are nearing to number 1 all formats. We congratulate for all your wins and it was your credit you won so many games - India.

• ashutoshsc on July 14, 2012, 5:46 GMT

i dont think cricketing boards should entertain such decisions from their premier cricketers.... such players take their place for granted and ultimately harming the confidence of the youngsters... i remember few other players doing the same in the past... once they announce retirement, they shouldn't be allowed to play again for the national team... bopara played beautifully in the recent series but now, if KP returns, his place would be in danger...

• veerakannadiga on July 14, 2012, 5:20 GMT

bring back KP. We the lovers of this fantastic game would love to watch this super star performing in all the three formats.England should remember one thing.....once out of their comfort zone (English conditions) they need KP.

• jmcilhinney on July 14, 2012, 4:59 GMT

This does create a conundrum. I'm quite sure that KP always wanted to play the WT20. Maybe he thought that he'd get over it or maybe he thought that the ECB would cave in but, either way, if he's available then it would be crazy not to include him in that 30-man squad. As for ODIs, KP's main issue was that he felt he was playing too much but, now that England have performed without him, maybe the ECB will feel more comfortable about giving him some more time off. It would be good if an arrangement could be made that would appease both sides without anyone having to feel that they've been forced into it. Trott's average has been important to England while they've been struggling but, if they are getting more from their other batsman, his strike rate becomes more of an issue. Having Bell or KP open with Cook and the other at #3 could be a winning combination. Continuity is good but also having an able squad is important.

• kitten on July 14, 2012, 4:28 GMT

KP needs to be taken back, because England have performed admirably against all opposition, but mainly in their backyard, with pitches suited to their bowling. They have never been very good on the sub-continent, with the exception of KP, who is brilliant against one and all. And considering that the WC is being held in the sub-continent, the sooner he is reinstalled in the team, the better. Go KP go.

• maximus1982 on July 14, 2012, 4:18 GMT

here comes the trouble.......... i think he who like vivian richards and aravinda desilva who can threaten any attack in to pieces

• Narbavi on July 14, 2012, 3:10 GMT

@Tigg: Think that's funny?? A guy like kevin automatically walks in to any side, since england play with 6batsmen, i say make KP bat at no.4 in the middle order, that will really bolster the line up and also the top 3 can bat with some even more assurance!!

• m0se on July 14, 2012, 3:08 GMT

I knew KP would un-retire at the last moment before the World T20 tournament squad was to be submitted. I don't know why he just didn't make himself unavailable for this ODI series.

• deepak_sholapurkar on July 14, 2012, 2:57 GMT

Keep it up, Making of new Shahid Afridi

• cloudmess on July 14, 2012, 2:37 GMT

Why does a side always become "poor" when England beat them? We say that India were a very weak side in 2011, but they were ranked number one at the time. Ditto Australia's one day side in 2012. It's fairer to say the hallmark of a very good side is one which stops another good side from playing their natural game.

• praveen4honestremark on July 14, 2012, 1:25 GMT

This dilemma in which modern day cricketers are in quite evident by this incident. Which board is good to take care of it's players when thinking of scheduling? Very hectic schedule this. The game of cricket is so much played these days that with out any sense. Starting from useless tours;matches u play 2 test matches, 7 ODI's , 1 T20 What for?. Revenues will be the answers. If you feel you can bring many & many more to watch this matches. But that's temporary. Because if you go on doing this people will start hate watching. Cricket series should be meaningful and players are not machines and viewers also don't need to watch 12 months continuous cricket in an year. You will get the same revenues if you even play 8 months of cricket too. When players are given enough rest they will be happy because they will be very fit and need not play half fit and hurting themselves and game and when played limited and sensible cricket they can give their best. Players are not robots, are they??

• Princely1 on July 14, 2012, 1:24 GMT

Why is that whenever we (Eng) beat someone, the other team is rubbish and anyone would have beaten them but before every series, we will struggle to win. Before the West Indies one day series, all the talk was about their power hitters, Gayle, Pollard, Bravo, Samuels, etc who England would struggle to contain and would not be able to match them. After the Series, talk had changed to how "weak" WI are. Before the Aus series, all the talk was about their batting depth and strong bowling stocks and after Aus were dismantled, the talk changed to how weak the Aussie side is. Give credit where credit's due and accept that England are a very well drilled unit and they can make even the good teams look average! Don't detract from England's strong performances and make them seem less than what they are! GO ENGLAND!

• Masking_Tape on July 14, 2012, 0:59 GMT

stop trying to steal Lee's thunder.

• funkyandy on July 14, 2012, 0:54 GMT

Fantastic player, but is his ego worth the runs?

• subbass on July 13, 2012, 23:38 GMT

KP is a must for any England side. Just because we beat Australia easily without him means nothing. Australia were terrible our Lions team would have beat them.

Get him back in the side ASAP !

• maddy20 on July 13, 2012, 23:16 GMT

Its not hard to find someone to replace and accommodate Pietersen. He is the best player of spin and his skills will come in handy during the WT20. Not that England are gonna win it, but with him atleast they have a better chance!

• Nutcutlet on July 13, 2012, 21:40 GMT

Not the easiest man to love, it is ironically when KP does feel loved, nay adored, that he loses his hard I-take-no-prisoners mask. Then his heart shows through. Today at Guildford he felt much loved (alright, deeply appreciated) & adored by his Surrey team mates & the Surrey supporters too, & then this U turn comes to his lips. The innings (I was not there, but listened tranfixed to the BBC comm) he played was utterly breathtaking, worthy of the great Sir Viv, indeed. His bonding with his mere mortal Surrey team mates & this famous innings have given him, ensured for him, a true county home, at long, long last. So, I do not think this was a deeply, carefully thought out strategy; that is not, I think, the way KP lives his life - he goes with his gut instinct and he'll step into & out of hot water because his heart rules his head; in other words KP cuts his own path and it's pointless for anyone to try to follow it, let alone ascribe some sort of rationale to it. That's KP - a one off

• Tigg on July 13, 2012, 21:37 GMT

Who do you drop? Bell, Cook and Trott have been fantastic (and the two new balls favours 'proper' batsmen).

Bopara has been in great form. Morgan is one of the best finishers in the world.

Maybe he could learn to keep and we could play him instead of kieswetter?

• xylo on July 13, 2012, 21:24 GMT

While KP might not find a place in the Eng side, he could find an opportunity if he were to move to Australia now. They could definitely do with a good batsman.

• Hit1968 on July 13, 2012, 21:21 GMT

KP right after when Breet Lee retire from International Cricket?

• Optic on July 13, 2012, 21:05 GMT

Some people have really got ahead of themselves after beating Aus and the WI, yes we played well but they were both pretty weak sides. If people don't think we need a world class game changing batsman like KP they have a agenda. Wait till we go to India again or Aus for that matter when we need 300+ to win or we need to chase at 9rpo, can't see Bell, Cook, Trott & Bopara scoring quick enough can you, KP averages 48 abroad and scores quicker than other player. Do you think the opposition want him back in the side, do they heck, he can be a nightmare to bowl at. First and foremost is the world T20 in SL, to have any chance of winning it again we need him more then anyone. He's one of the best in the world and if he's there playing it would be a massive boast. Personally I want him back because he's absolute box office, I've just spent the whole afternoon listening to his innings for Surrey on the radio and I hardly ever do that and what more it was exciting even on the radio.

• jackiethepen on July 13, 2012, 20:54 GMT

All this talk about how well KP will do in India. He had a chance to do well in India in 2011. He got one 50. Did he do well in the World Cup? Well, no. He went home with a niggle but not before he was tried as an opener. He didn't last that long. I find it incredible that KP's reputation for ODIs rests entirely on how he played in his early career and how he played in his last two games. There were 3 YEARS between the two - and he struggled to get an average of 25 in 36 matches in those years.

• Trickstar on July 13, 2012, 20:54 GMT

Got to laugh at people saying he's not needed for 50 over cricket, what because we beat a poor Aus and WI side, what about when we leave this Country and are chasing 320, where he's got more experience playing than anyone else. You think Bell. Bopaara and Trott are going to do that, no neither do i. Some people have really lost sight of how brilliant a player he is, simply because they may not like him. He also averages far more abroad in one day cricket than he does at home which is key. He always said he wanted to carry on playing T20 and if he comes back that's a massive boast for us retaining the title. We saw in the test match in SL what he can do in those conditions, England need him simple as that. This patting ourselves on the back because of a few one days wins is so very premature, especially when we think we don't need all the World Class players we can get our hands on. People seem to forget he was a major part of that start of this winning run, scoring back to back tons

• viqas on July 13, 2012, 20:45 GMT

LOL...what a joke! Clearly it has gotten to him that ENG is succeeding without him. While I do enjoy watching him bat, IMHO, ENG mgmt should leave him out so as not to disturb the balance of the side. I thought Afridi was a kid ... you know the way he retires and comes back. I guess we have a new afridi amongst us now :)

• Sehwag_Is_Ordinary on July 13, 2012, 20:41 GMT

oh please ENgland in ODIs has finally settled for a good team, why break team combination

• AdrianVanDenStael on July 13, 2012, 20:33 GMT

Reading some of the comments here, I think some people have been misled by a deceptive headline. I'm no great admirer of KP, but I don't think what he's done is really a" U-turn"; it seems instead to be "negotiating tactic"

• Baundele on July 13, 2012, 20:29 GMT

The irony of the ICC FTP is that players of some countries complain over playing too much cricket, while some other countries do not get enough matches. They call Bangladesh and Zimbabwe as test sides and expect that they will improve in their dreams, while they are denied to play test cricket months after months. Full support to KP's concerns.

• PACERONE on July 13, 2012, 20:26 GMT

No need to worry.The wickets will be conducive to spin.The spinners on show will be good ones including left arm spinners.W.I is the only team that will not pick a left arm spinner.Their teams are always unbalanced.Benn would be a big difference for them,he is tall and accurate.Even W.I fast bowlers are too short.K.P or no K.P England will struggle.

• Akshita29 on July 13, 2012, 20:21 GMT

England"s recent ODI success without Kp have been on home grounds and in almost all the recent matches so far in swing bowling favoring conditions and they have not been put under pressure of scoring run a ball or more . Likes of bell ,trott. cook can play the waiting game looking for poor deliveries from opposition . But they can not take the game to the opposition like Kp can. And in batting friendly conditions where even the likes of jimmy would be belted all round the park , likes of trott , bell nd cook would struggle even to score run a ball especially against spinners . So i would welcome Kp's return . And I just would enjoy watching English cricket again though I am an Indian fan . Welcome back to a giant batsman who likes to hit good balls for sixes unlike so many English batsmen who would shoulder arm even to a harmless delivery.

• dr.thirsty on July 13, 2012, 20:09 GMT

I reckon that if an accommodation can be made, then this would be the best of all possible outcomes. KP tried to face down the ECB with a 'my way or the highway' ultimatum and the ECB, to their great credit, didn't blink. Whether you like the rules or not, they must be applied equally & universally. Changing them for 1 player not only sets an unhealthy precedent but has the potential to erode team morale. With KP now 'changing' his mind and making the 1st move, the ECB has kept face & can arrange some compromise over schedules, not only for KP but for all players/coaches. Whilst I agree to an extent with those who say he won't be missed in ODI's (for now at least), I'd sure want him in my T20 team. TBH, I think KP misread the entire situation re his ultimatum, & his ego forced him to walk. Time for ECB to make a grand gesture & for KP to eat some humble pie. Hope he doesn't retire again after the T20 world cup!

• teo. on July 13, 2012, 20:07 GMT

hahaha.. loving the comments comparing him to Afridi, being an attention seeker, not needed... etc etc!!! All true indeed.... however I still think the Eng team is a better one with him in it.... #SAfan

• jackthelad on July 13, 2012, 20:00 GMT

And - if I were Pietersen, I'd be a bit worried about my Test place. Who does he think he is?

• viqas on July 13, 2012, 19:58 GMT

• Lmaotsetung on July 13, 2012, 19:49 GMT

So who do you drop now? Bell has been in fine form and Bopara is starting to get used to batting at #4. This is bad for the team IMO.....very bad!

• JG2704 on July 13, 2012, 19:45 GMT

Wow this really has put the cat amongst the pigeons. I said back along that the only way I thought KP would return was if he saw England succeeding without him and felt he was missing out but didn't see him Uturning as fast as this. I also would just as likely have seen it go the other way and KP retire from England full stop.I always said I'd try to fit KP into the OD/T20 sides even if it's morally wrong. A big call - esp as he is our number 1 bat in this fmt - but I'd probably have Trott make way even though it sickens me to treat such a comitted player that way.Before this series I'd have had Bell or Bopara making way but both have done well esp Bopara with ball as well as bat.If they want to fit KP back into the side as opener the Bell would have to go but this would seem harsh as Bell has done well - certainly much better than I expected. I can actually see Eng digging in and not picking KP in either format even to the detriment of the side. I'm intrigued as to what happens next

• Damo_s on July 13, 2012, 19:45 GMT

I hope bell and cook stay as the openers in the ODI team. They seem to be doing really well. It also seems unfair on bell to move iom yet again when he seems pretty happy where he is at. In fact the whole team is doing very well without him. None of them should be dropped for KP.

• kirankerai on July 13, 2012, 19:44 GMT

peitersen need to stop doing this as he need to let go of the fact he is not the biggest talent out there. how time does he need to mess with the ecb until he is happy.

• Yevghenny on July 13, 2012, 19:42 GMT

the game is better for it

• chrisu on July 13, 2012, 19:42 GMT

I think the test series could be interesting, especially after the innings K.P. has had today. Dale Steyn has said that K.P. is not good enough to play for South Africa and the England O.D.I. team have proven that they can flourish without him. K.P. has said he wants to concentrate on being a test player; well now is his chance to show us all what we could be missing.He is at his most dangerous when he has a point to prove. I almost feel sorry for the South Africans.

• yorkshire-86 on July 13, 2012, 19:39 GMT

We may be doing good now, in English conditions. But wait till we go to Australia or the subcontinent where 300 is a minimum score and cook/bell/trott will get found out with their inability to hit the 8+ per over needed in the power play overs in them countries. And LOLpara will just get destroyed...

• mkazmi on July 13, 2012, 19:37 GMT

KP pulls an Afridi or a Yousuf...

• MrBrightside92 on July 13, 2012, 19:36 GMT

He may not been needed for ODI's in England but he will definitely be needed in India and for the T20 in SL. It may come to pass that there are different squads for different conditions as well as formats, not only for bowler (an extra spinner in the sub continent) but even extra batsmen. The current top 4 will have limited impact when chasing or having to set 300...

• Nadeem1976 on July 13, 2012, 19:32 GMT

and we always blame boom afridi to quit/retire and come back. here you go another player who is returning home. Don't blame afridi every time. it's the schedule which is not good in cricket these days.

• Yoker111 on July 13, 2012, 19:27 GMT

I think this guy is one major attention seeker. Now that the spot light is on boucher and Lee retireing, he justs wants some attention, so he decides to walk back in..KP needs to reduce his attention appeal and stay low and play the sport .. After all the biggest man ever born was also once a baby!

• azaro on July 13, 2012, 19:12 GMT

They playing much better cricket without him, the team is more balanced and it shows in the results! Cricket is about winning games not who hits the ball the longest distance...let him be...

• Hoady on July 13, 2012, 19:10 GMT

England seem to be doing OK without him, and the character of the team has improved. The Game is bigger than KP.

• cool2cool on July 13, 2012, 19:05 GMT

Thought this happens only in one country...

• glance_to_leg on July 13, 2012, 19:05 GMT

While I should be delighted to see KP's continued lighting up of the one-day game, I struggle to work out whether he is playing an extremely shrewd game in order to get exactly what he wants (ie picking and choosing when he plays), or whether he is just blundering around and changing his mind. If the former, it might create a dangerous precedent in which all the bigger names start to dictate their own terms. However, what this surely argues for is the periodic resting of key players, which so many people have recently criticised (denying players chances to take wickets or make runs, denying the paying spectator the chance to see stars, &c, &c). Cricketers, often with young families, forced to play a sport that is increasingly demanding physically need time off. Successful rugby teams are generally based on large squads of high quality; now cricket teams must be too. The ECB needs to recognise this, but the players then need to play when they are told to do so, not shape their own rules

• mumbaiguy79 on July 13, 2012, 19:01 GMT

OK, so what is "mfl" on the last line of this article?

• whatawicket on July 13, 2012, 19:01 GMT

iv said it in all forums where this has been talked about. i can say i told you so. i new this would happen mind i thought it would be nearer the T20 WC.he has had series off and not sure what warm up games hes on about. but he wants to come back i guess its on the ecb terms other guys play all formats and as a batter he has it easier than a bowler, but hes brainless and good on the ecb who stuck to their guns for him to play all formats. shows other boards up.

• Bramblefly on July 13, 2012, 19:00 GMT

If KP and the ECB have come to a workable compromise about not over-using KP then that's good news. It'll be interesting to see who he replaces in the 50 over format though because the existing top 5 all look very good right now. Maybe that's what has made an agreement possible. Look for a solomn ECB quote suggesting that he'll have to "fight" for his 50 over place. A fight he'll never quite win, perhaps?

• Stark62 on July 13, 2012, 18:59 GMT

Smart guy!!

He did what Afridi did but for different reasons.

He just wanted a rest during the meaningless ODI's against Aus but wasn't getting it, hence he "retired" but in his mind it was a conditional retirement, plus the fact that Eng didn't miss him much either was playing on his ego.

• johnathonjosephs on July 13, 2012, 18:59 GMT

Pietersen is maturing and finding out that you don't need to quit from formats of the game to have a break. You could just skip out on one or two tours and that is good enough for your break. Its what Tendulkar has been doing with certain series: just taking a break. He hasn't retired yet

• Cpt.Meanster on July 13, 2012, 18:58 GMT

I am not surprised one bit at this sudden change of heart. I always felt Kevin shouldn't have tried to retire from ODIs in the first place. He's still got many years of one day cricket in him. But to be honest, he has lost some respect from me with such premature decisions. Anyway, welcome back again I guess KP !

• EnglishCricket on July 13, 2012, 18:55 GMT

We don't need him anymore. No man is bigger than the Sport and England 4-0 rubbing of Mighty Australia without KP was proof enough sorry KP :)

• AdrianVanDenStael on July 13, 2012, 18:50 GMT

The saga continues ... I think KP's right about one thing, which is that he hasn't been particularly well-managed. However, I'd say the salient example of bad management of KP was that ill-advised episode of making him England captain too early in his career.

• on July 13, 2012, 18:50 GMT

Pietersen is just not needed in any format by England - no player is indispensable. He gave up his place, now he needs to put in the performances for earning it back - he certainly should not be allowed to stroll into the World T20 Cup having opted out of this summer's ODIs.

• on July 13, 2012, 18:49 GMT

Reading between the lines, Pietersen will play for England in Tests and 20-20 matches, while developing niggling injuries that keep him out of 50-over matches bar the World Cup. Having his cake and eating it, as it were.

• on July 13, 2012, 18:48 GMT

Oh KP, brilliant as you are, one day you will be playing cricket by yourself.

• wibblewibble on July 13, 2012, 18:47 GMT

The boy has seen sense - hallelujah!

• on July 13, 2012, 18:42 GMT

Who would England drop? Bopara after the series he had?!

• SagirParkar on July 13, 2012, 18:40 GMT

is KP doing an Afridi here ?

• No featured comments at the moment.

• SagirParkar on July 13, 2012, 18:40 GMT

is KP doing an Afridi here ?

• on July 13, 2012, 18:42 GMT

Who would England drop? Bopara after the series he had?!

• wibblewibble on July 13, 2012, 18:47 GMT

The boy has seen sense - hallelujah!

• on July 13, 2012, 18:48 GMT

Oh KP, brilliant as you are, one day you will be playing cricket by yourself.

• on July 13, 2012, 18:49 GMT