Australia will reconsider their plans for the build-up to the Test series with the potential for more of the squad to play in the pink-ball warm-up game against the Indians at the SCG in the wake of injuries and absences.

The initial plan had been for the majority of the Test squad to link up in Adelaide shortly after the conclusion of the T20 series but more of them are now set to stay back in Sydney.

David Warner is unlikely to be fit for the opening Test after suffering a groin injury in the one-day series while Mitchell Starc has been given compassionate leave due to a family illness. Josh Hazlewood was left out of the second T20I with back soreness.

"With injuries, we weren't expecting Davey for example to get injured like he did, so we are having a close look at that," head coach Justin Langer said. "The best practice, I've said for years, is centre-wicket and the chance to play a pink-ball game against India under lights is certainly a very tempting preparation for a few of our players. We are looking at that.

"I actually addressed the CA board the other day, one of the challenges we've got with such tight schedules ... we've got six injuries now, which is really unusual. We'll obviously review it. That's one of the challenges moving forward, when guys are playing all the tours [and have] different sorts of preparations."

That could mean an extra hit out for Joe Burns and Will Pucovski, who are expected to the opening pair in Adelaide but fell cheaply in the first innings at Drummoyne Oval on Monday, while the support bowlers including Sean Abbott, Michael Neser and James Pattinson could get a run.

Travis Head and Tim Paine are part of the Australia A side for the first match against the Indians.

The last few days have tested Australia's white-ball depth with the T20I side put out on Sunday missing at least six first-choice players. Reinforcements have been brought in with D'Arcy Short, Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Swepson all added to the squad over the last week but they had already been inside the team bubble in Sydney.

Pat Cummins has been rested since the second ODI with an eye on the Test series with Langer quick to defend that decision and adding there was never a thought given to recalling him early due to the biosecurity measures around the squad.

"Some of the simplicity of our past lives isn't quite there," he said. "There has to be isolation and we can't do that. We are always considering the big picture here, we know that we've got a big Test series coming up - there's been a lot of talk about Pat not playing but we've known we've had to manage this throughout.

"If he hadn't spent a few days at home in this little period he might not have gone home until June next year, so for any of the critics out there imagine not going home for that period of time. One we couldn't bring him and back two we didn't consider if because we've got to manage him to make sure we are ready for the Test series."