Departure 'not a fait accompli' (27 August 1999)
Cricket has not taken its bat and ball from Jade Stadium and gone home just yet
27-Aug-1999
27 August 1999
Departure 'not a fait accompli'
Mike Bruce
Cricket has not taken its bat and ball from Jade Stadium and gone
home just yet.
Christchurch City councillor and Jade Stadium Ltd board member Paddy
Austin said at a council meeting last night that the media had
falsely presented cricket's departure from Jade Stadium as a done
deal.
"We are taking their (cricket's) problems seriously, but there have
been no predeterminations made," Cr Austin said. "It is not a fait
accompli."
Her comments seemed to contradict the outcome of a meeting held on
Sunday night between JSL chairman Bruce Irvine, Mayor Garry Moore,
and rugby and cricket representatives.
Mr Irvine said after Sunday's meeting "there were no dissenters",
with rugby and cricket united on plans to develop Jade Stadium into a
football-style stadium, and QE II Park's Village Green as a cricket
venue.
The meeting was called after problems with the conflicting demand for
stadium bookings for rugby and cricket.
However, New Zealand Cricket chief executive Chris Doig confirmed
that the door was still open for cricket at Jade Stadium.
"If an alternative (venue) can be found for test matches and one-day
cricket that would be helpful," Mr Doig said. "If acceptable
alternative options cannot be found, then Jade Stadium is the only
alternative we have. We would certainly like to stay there, provided
we can get some guarantee on availability."
When asked whether remaining a tenant of Jade Stadium would mean the
end of test cricket in Christchurch, Mr Doig said "not if I have
anything to do with it".
Meanwhile, it was revealed at last night's meeting that the council
had already paid $1.5 million of its $4 million contribution to the
stadium's $40 million redevelopment. Payment of the $4m was to be
conditional on the venue confirming 17 revenue conditions, one of
which was for $1m a year in income from rugby and cricket.
Council finance director Bob Lineham said the stadium had used $1m of
the money to repay debt, which had freed up cashflow. The remainder
had gone on preparation of concept and business plans.
"It was always intended that the first instalment would be used for
that purpose," he said.
The council recommended that any further money to JSL would be
limited to what was needed to prepare building and business plans. It
also agreed to JSL preparing an alternative business plan for a
dedicated football-style stadium and consulting the public on the
plan. Council staff and JSL were also asked to identify alternative
first class cricket venues and prepare business plans detailing
capital and running costs.
Cr Charles Manning felt the public may not tolerate a redevelopment
of separate stadiums for rugby and cricket.
"During last year's election campaign people told me they were
willing to wear this much but they wouldn't wear much more. The basis
on which the council supported this was on two codes at the park," Cr
Manning said.
He called for "equitable" council support for cricket if the sport
was to have to find alternative facilities. Christchurch would be a
much poorer place if it lost test cricket from Jade Stadium.
"If money is to be derived from TV rights, then remember that there
is far more of the world following cricket than rugby."
Source :: The Christchurch Press (https://www.press.co.nz/)