Division One

Darren Gough suffered a broken hand - and will be out for a month - after turning back the clock and taking his best figures for seven years as Yorkshire made Kent follow-on at Tunbridge Wells. Geraint Jones (62) and Andrew Hall (77) added 126 to give Kent hope of staging a fight back, but Gough ran through the lower-order having earlier claimed Neil Dexter. However, trying to stop a straight drive from Ryan McLaren, Gough suffered his injury although still managed to remove McLaren after the blow. But two balls into his 17th over was forced off as his hand began to swell. Trailing by 259, Joe Denly fell went for 9 before Robert Key and Martin van Jaarsveld responded with an unbroken stand of 135. Key, who reached 62 in the first innings, batted for another three hours but needs to continue his rearguard on the final day. "It is a sickening blow," said Gough following the x-ray which proved a broken metacarpal, "and the only consolation is that we have just one Championship match against Sussex at Headingley next week before the start of the Twenty20 Cup. I think I should be fit to return once these games have ended."

Chris Adams' blistering 103 set Hampshire an unlikely 500 to beat Sussex on the third day at Arundel. Murray Goodwin fell for 99, but Adams motored onwards cracking 11 fours and three sixes in his 95-ball 103 as Sussex declared on 360 for 5. The two Hampshire openers, Michael Brown and Jimmy Adams, both fell cheaply leaving Hampshire struggling on 133 for 2, with Michael Lumb unbeaten on 62, still requiring a further 367 to win.

Lancashire set up the platform to have a final-day push for victory after building on a lead of 55 with a positive second innings, extending their advantage to 365, against Durham at Chester-le-Street. Another five-wicket haul for Muttiah Muralitharan secured Lancashire the useful lead then Paul Horton (56) and Mark Chilton opened with a stand of 92. The healthy progress was maintain by Stuart Law's 69-ball 61. Durham, though, continued to chip away and at 215 for 6 there was a chance to keep the target down to something manageable. But Luke Sutton (41) and Dominic Cork (48) added 90 and the home side face a day of trying to repel the mastery of Muralitharan.

Surrey's middle-order collapsed on the third day against Worcestershire at New Road, slipping to 370 all out. Surrey were going nicely with Jon Batty notching 114 and Mark Ramprakash 84, putting on 165 for the second wicket. However, both fell in quick succession as Surrey slipped from 271 for 2 to 370 all out - still trailing Worcestershire's mammoth 701 by 331 runs. Kyle Hogg, on loan from Lancashire, and Gareth Batty each took three wickets. Following on, Surrey lost Jon Batty for 13, going to stumps at 59 for 1 with one day remaining in which to salvage a draw.

Division Two

4th day

Dean Cosker took 5 for 69 as Glamorgan registered their first Championship win of the season, over Nottinghamshire, who they beat by 55 runs on the final day at Swansea. After bowling out Glamorgan for 263, Nottinghamshire were set 263 from 72 overs but collapsed to 207 all out. Jason Gallian and Bilal Shafayat fell cheaply before Mark Wagh (50) and David Hussey (63) gave hope of Nottinghamshire chasing down their target. However, from 115 for 4 they slumped dramatically, Wagh falling to Cosker and Robert Croft picking up David Hussey. Graeme Swann struck a fighting 37 before Alex Wharf wrapped up the innings with two quick wickets.

Gloucestershire's match against Derbyshire ended in a draw at Derby, after the visitors racked up an imposing 441 to deny Derbyshire's push for victory. Hamish Marshall fell without adding to his overnight 120, and Alex Gidman couldn't add another century, falling four short. But Mark Hardinges held up Derbyshire's march and, finding useful allies in David Brown (43) and Carl Greenidge, posted his fourth first-class hundred. This left Derbyshire 200 to win from 28 overs, and they finishing on 40 for 1 from 15 overs.

3rd day

Somerset wrapped up the most comprehensive of wins over Leicestershire at Taunton with Charl Willoughby picking up the final two wickets. Stuart Broad and David Masters (31*) delayed the inevitable, extending their ninth-wicket stand to 48, but Willoughby yorked Broad for 35 to signal the end. Nick Walker, the No. 11, lasted eight balls, to hand Somerset an innings-and-259-run win.

Essex continued to boss proceedings at Chelmsford and have teed up a winning position for the fourth day. Although rain washed out most of the morning, there was still time to bowl out Northamptonshire for 241 - James Middlebrook leading the way with 4 for 53 - and then take two more scalps as the visitors followed on. Northants face an uphill battle to save the match, still trailing by 297 runs with eight wickets remaining, and hopes will rest largely on Stephen Peters, who is unbeaten 51, and the in-form Lance Klusener, who was left stranded on 70 in the first innings.