Griquas pile it on in Potchefstroom

Potted reports for the UCB Provincial Cup, Pool A and B, Day One

Keith Lane
Pool A: Free State 5 for 1 trail Border 278 for 8 dec (Matika 115, Botha 66, Tshabalala 5-72) by 273 runs
In Bloemfontein, early morning rain left the outfield slightly wet but only 30 miuntes of play were lost as with Free State sent Border in to bat. At 24 for 3, Border looked in trouble, but a 155-run partnership between Michael Matika and Johan Botha restored the innings to 179 before Botha was bowled for 66. Matika went to his maiden first-class hundred, which included nine boundaries. If Matika was the star for Border, then Thandi Tshabalala was the star for Free State. Coming on as fourth change, he produced by far his best bowling as he took the last five wickets with his off-breaks. He had 5 for 72 when the declaration came at 278 for 8. With light failing quickly, Free State managed to see off six overs, but they lost one wicket.
Pool B: Western Province 65 for 2 trail Eastern Province 178 (Munnik 3-23) by 123 runs
Port Elizabeth missed all the rain as Eastern Province, after winning the toss, were bowled out by Western Province. Renier Munnik was the man with the golden arm, taking 3 for 23, as Eastern Province struggled to put partnerships together. Thanks to the tailenders they managed to recover from 71 for 6 and were eventually dismissed for 178. Western Province fared far better than the opposition: their score was 65 for 2 when bad light brought play to an early end.
Pool B: Griqualand West 369 for 4 (Brooker 115, McLaren 69, Bossenger 64*) v North West
Sedgars Park in Potchefstroom missed the morning rain, but a thunderstorm after tea had the players running for cover. Earlier, Griqualand West won the toss and batted with Jason Brooker making the North West bowlers sweat as he raced to a career-best 115 off 128 balls, with 15 sparkling fours and three sixes. Adrian McLaren was no slouch either as he struck 69, which included four towering sixes. Wendell Bossenger took over from where the other two had left off, moving quickly to 55 which made the total 352 for 4 after 74.5 overs when rain interrupted play. On the resumption, and with the light getting worse, they took the score to 369 in the four further overs they squeezed in.