March 7, 2012

India in Australia 2011-12

Ian v Greg at the Chappell backyard

Sidharth Monga

The Chappell brothers' has to be the ideal childhood, one every lover of cricket would commit heinous crimes to enjoy. They grew up in Adelaide where, Greg Chappell says, the weather was so good, they could play outdoors from daybreak until dark. Their father, Martin, turned their backyard into a cricket pitch, gave them proper cricket balls and bats, and they played proper simulated Test matches. Chappell says he learned reacting to various situations in actual Test cricket because of the fiercely competitive Test matches he played with elder brother Ian in the backyard, "more battleground than playground". He got his trademark flick off the hip from backyard cricket.

Ian is four-and-a-half years older. Greg says Ian began to acknowledge his existence only when he turned nine. Until then, Ian wanted to play with mates his own age, and when he finally began playing with Greg there was no allowance for the age gap. Test matches, like many of us did as kids, were elaborately played. Being younger, Greg always represented England, and Ian Australia. Each brother batted 10 times, and at the fall of every wicket had to walk into the laundry, write the score, and come back as a new batsman. The only way it probably differed from other kids' childhood Tests was that other kids also tried to simulate the style of the batsman they represented. The kind of batsman Greg turned out to be bears no resemblance to the style of the Englishmen he represented.

Ian was good at hitting a ridge on the pitch, and bouncing Greg. Greg says the days and days spent playing such cricket helped him with actual Test cricket significantly. He says the atmosphere was not protective, as it is in today's coaching world. If he couldn't play the cut, he says, he didn't shelve it, he tried to get better at it. He hated getting out, but it was not "terminal" as it is in nets and games kids play nowadays.

The most endearing story about Greg's childhood has to be the genesis of the flick off the hip, and also the on drive. He realised only when Mike Brearley once asked him about the shot, and how Brearley thought it was a unique shot. Greg then thought about it, and realised he acquired it in the backyard. Martin Chappell had been careful to protect the windows of the house, and those of the neighbours. He was also an amateur gardener, and loved his fruit trees. There were fences around those areas too.

All that really didn't leave him many scoring areas in the on side. If he had to score runs on the on side, Greg would have to score wide of a tree at mid-on, or between two behind square, "between the apricot tree and the almond tree".

Apart from their father, grandpa Vic Richardson is a part of the story of the Chappell boys. When they played for their school, they could see Richardson's car outside but never see him. Only once in a while the head of the grandfather would bob out from behind a tree. This is reminiscent of how Mohammad Azharuddin's grandfather used to watch him play without letting him know he did. On days that they played well, Richardson would then call his daughter, ask the phone be handed over to them, and say, "Well played, and hang up."

Chappell related these anecdotes at Adelaide Writers' Week, where he was promoting his new book, Fierce Focus, which has many more insights into his life as a cricketer, coach and selector.

RELATED LINKS

Sidharth Monga is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Keywords: Legends, Technique, Tributes

Posted by Abdullah Tayyab on (March 22, 2012, 6:45 GMT)

I guess this article reminds all of us how we were "the next big thing" if only the selectors could see us play. I remember spending days and evenings playing with my brother in Libya of all places; getting ready for matches with the seniors on weekends. One instance I remember getting runout for 3 successive matches and then spending the whole week practicing "running" - no, not wrt fields but just "running". Good times.

Posted by Talha khan on (March 11, 2012, 9:12 GMT)

Nice article. Reminded me of How i perfectioned my on drive and flicking the ball well wide of the off stump. The short pitch of mere 6 7 metres and my younger brother bowling with Steyn's action made me very secure outside off stump and made my timing immaculate and when i batted on actual pitch, ball was looking like a football.

Posted by Talha Khokhar on (March 11, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

Excellent article... reminds me of my childhood... used to play anywhere anytime... never minded the hot weather... when bowling I used to be Imran Khan and when batting always pretended to be Richards... pretended like Abdul Qadir too for a while... there was an innocence in cricket which is not there anymore... now its all about the money and no one really cares about the game and having fun...

Posted by akpy on (March 10, 2012, 8:40 GMT)

nice article and would remind many of us about our growing up days....one thing to note though that the chappels have not grown up unfortunately in their wisdom and their cricketing comments are still churlish..

Posted by Keshavaram on (March 10, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

Ian is a GREAT commentator & good analyser of the game. Greg spotted out Suresh Raina

Posted by Observer on (March 9, 2012, 20:22 GMT)

I believe Greg spent most of his time playing cricket and didnt learn much about anything else. He was probably a good cricketer but not a good coach or sportsman. His views seem so rigid and sometimes so absurd that he becomes his own worst enemy.

Posted by Janaka on (March 9, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

Any one want to be a styilish crickerter then follow tha beutiful foot works of ian chappell.

Posted by Sridhar on (March 9, 2012, 17:23 GMT)

Greg and Ian I am sorry to say this but you guys have really bought tears in my eyes when I see your dedication to the game.

I like Ian talking even today, and I am not very fortunate to have watched Greg bat live but I have see very little from the ESPN cricket legends tapes.

You have both made Australia very proud in my eyes, but I must say that I hope the English will do more justice to Greg by granting him a proper place as a coach or a selector. Greg you are my hero though I have seen very less of your play.

Posted by Clyde on (March 9, 2012, 14:26 GMT)

I played in a triangular series with my younger brother and father in a shearing shed, for years. There was only one slip, a wool pack. A drive straight to the end of the shed brought six., a drive to a wall at cover four, hitting to leg only one. Hence, I learnt the on drive only late. Hitting into a wool bin was out. The bins were at point and extra cover, with their mouths about waist height. The ball was a tennis ball with a hole cut in it with a penknife to reduce the bounce. The pitch was of wood and cutters were bowled a lot, by pulling the fingers down the side of the ball. My father liked to bowl leg cutters and got a lot caught in the wool pack. There was room for one fielder, at cover. The wicket was two oil drums. Occasionally there was a spectator. The shed was eight shearers' stands long, which allowed a reasonable run-up but demanded quick reflexes of the batsman. I became an opening batsman and got to tour India and Africa as a schoolboy, in 1964-65.

Posted by kokupanuwa on (March 9, 2012, 12:48 GMT)

There is nothing extra-ordinary about this story ,in fact it could be the story of every oldest child who had a sibling to play cricket with.Ian and Greg in my opinion were highly over-rated cricketers hyped up by the media for Aussie consumption in their desperate search for cricketing heroes in a period where the Englishman and the West Indians dominated the game.

Posted by udi on (March 9, 2012, 8:56 GMT)

this is awesome..brings back memories, as i also used to do the same with my big bro (in Sri Lanka)..Australia was my favorite cricket team back then (early 80's). I would make my bro represent the aussie team and would intentionally allow him to win the match by bowling poorly!

Posted by Randy Bridgeman on (March 9, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

Without wishing to come across as boastful, I'm convinced that Bajan (Barbadian) lads of yesteryear were the most creative when it came improvising cricket gear. We didn't have the luxury of playing with the manufactured, store-bought items such as bats, balls, stumps etc. They were all home made. Our wicket was usually a narrow street a/k/a a gap. Everytime a vehicle passed, we had to do the clearance drill. We learned to keep the ball down while batting as to strike a house was an out. Due to the confined space in which we played, we learned early how to play shots along the ground and in spaces. Age didn't matter. I recall as an 14 year-old batting without pads, a box, mittens (headgear wasn't yet in vogue) against grown men and holding my own. The bowlers would not let up because you were a junior. Rather, they would bowl flat out. Helped us not to flinch and to develop courage, technique etc. before reaching adulthood. Our greats like the 3 Ws, Sobers, Hunte, Nurse, Hall, came up

Posted by Shiv Shankar Dayal on (March 8, 2012, 16:29 GMT)

Well I remember playing with bat as heavy as 4 kg. Made entirely of one piece of wood of cot used in villages of India. I could out-swing a 200gm or more probably (cork ball we never had money to buy cricket ball) by several inches before landing. Never managed in-swing though. Had fun bowling batsmen round the legs with outswinging full toss round the legs.

Wierd as it sounds. Our bat used to be 3 in wide. One decent hit and ball will go more than 100 mts because of its weight.

Posted by Dane Sparks on (March 8, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

Got that book as a Christmas present and it's a very very good read. Great to learn about the three Chappell brothers and their transition from aspiring sportsmen in childhood to top class Australian cricketers! Highly recommended.

Posted by adrian on (March 8, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

I saw a book a few months back that listed a bunch of former Aussie test cricketers and focused on their childhood backyard cricket stories. It included names such as Bradman, Benaud, Chappells etc. I regret to say I neither bought it or remember the name & author. Would've made an interesting read!

Posted by KP on (March 8, 2012, 5:20 GMT)

Makes for a very heart-warming read!

Posted by Amit on (March 8, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

I can recall doing exactly the same with my bro...taking turns to represent all test nations bar NZ at that time. We too tried to imitate the batting styles of the batsman and batted lefty forb bowlers coming into bat. Funny how the Richards, Gavaskars, G Chappells etc ended up with the best averages in our back of the garden cricket variety... those were the days huh when this great game of ours was still in our part of our cultural fabric. Sadly no more with todays generation as everything seems to have been squashed by the great jaggurnaut that is the premier league football.

Posted by Ian Stokes on (March 8, 2012, 4:27 GMT)

Sensational article - which takes me all the way back to my own childhood. Can you believe we chiselled / gouged a hole in the back of a hunk of wood - our bat - and painted it orange so we could have our own Gray Nicholls "Super Scoop"?

Posted by Boiragi on (March 7, 2012, 23:06 GMT)

Sunny Gavaskar learnt his immaculate straight drive by playing cricket in the lanes in Mumbai, that is the only great scoring option to hit pass the bowler.

Posted by ivor de Silva on (March 7, 2012, 21:48 GMT)

I like the style of both,Ian and Greg.Greg was extremely elgant and had style.Ian had raw talent,was stylish and power in his batting.Beleiveme I miss both of them

Cheers

ivor

Posted by Raj on (March 7, 2012, 19:17 GMT)

This article has a nice touch to it. Now tell us how Mike and David Hussey played against each other yin heir backyrad.