October 26, 2001

ECB statement on Indian tour

The England and Wales Cricket Board today announced that the following 11 players have confirmed their availability for the Test Match tour to India next month subject to the proviso that the Team and the Professional Cricketers' Association are satisfied that appropriate security arrangements will be in place for the tour:-

  • Nasser Hussain
  • Usman Afzaal
  • Mark Butcher
  • Richard Dawson
  • James Foster
  • Warren Hegg
  • Matthew Hoggard
  • James Ormond
  • Mark Ramprakash
  • Graham Thorpe
  • Michael Vaughan

    In addition, all members of the management and support team have confirmed their availability to tour.

    To finalise the security measures, John Carr, ECB Director of Cricket Operations, and a senior representative of the Professional Cricketers' Association will travel to India prior to the tour to meet with representatives of all the relevant Indian government and cricketing authorities, together with the British High Commissioner, Sir Rob Young, and the High Commission's security consultants. John Carr will have the authority to appoint a Security Manager, if deemed necessary, who will oversee security arrangements throughout the tour and travel with the team.

    Robert Croft, Marcus Trescothick and Andrew Caddick, as well as Ashley Giles and Craig White, both of whom are scheduled to have fitness tests on Wednesday 7 November, have requested more time to reach a decision. The ECB has accepted their request for extra time and the selectors will be having further discussions with these players over the course of this weekend.

    Tim Lamb, ECB Chief Executive, said, "I am glad that no-one has so far made themselves unavailable to go on the tour. We fully understand that this has been a difficult decision to make, and we accept that some players need a little more time to consider their positions. But we do need to have definite decisions after this weekend in order to finalise the selection of the team and all the detailed arrangements for the tour.

    "The advice from the Foreign Office, that it is safe to tour, still stands. We hope that this won't change, but if it does then we will act appropriately. We will, however, be monitoring the security situation on a daily basis from now until the tour ends just before Christmas."

    Robert Croft said, "I have a young family who are, without doubt, my first priority. In the current volatile world situation I do not want to leave them to worry about my welfare, so I have requested more time to consider my decision."

    Marcus Trescothick said, "As safety cannot be 100% guaranteed, I feel that I require more time to consider my position and ensure that I am totally happy and in the right frame of mind."

    Andrew Caddick said, "There are always risks in life, and I feel I need more time to consider. This is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make and I need to feel 100% confident before myself and my family can make a decision."

  • Comments