Sri Lanka v West Indies, Final, World Twenty20, Colombo

'This is for the Caribbean people' - Sammy

Abhishek Purohit in Colombo

October 7, 2012

Darren Sammy takes good care of the World Twenty20 trophy, Sri Lanka v West Indies, final, World Twenty20, Colombo, October 7, 2012
Darren Sammy: "This is the moment here. Issues done and buried. Twenty20 World Cup, 2012, Sri Lanka - West Indies champion." © Getty/ICC

They had clapped in the Premadasa media room after Darren Sammy finished his pre-final press conference on Saturday. They clapped in the Premadasa press box on Sunday after West Indies took the last Sri Lankan wicket to win the World Twenty20 2012. They clapped in the Premadasa media room after Sammy finished his post-final press conference. So rare have such occasions been for West Indies cricket after their decline that Sammy called this victory "the best moment for me".

The West Indies captain sauntered into the media room draped in the maroon West Indies cricket flag. He kept the World Twenty20 trophy proudly in front of him on the table. "My trophy is so big I can't see you," he joked with the first questioner.

He spoke about treasuring the achievement for the rest of his life. He was asked whether his performance with both bat and ball in the final was an answer to the critics who had questioned his place in the side all along. He said when even Christ was crucified without fault, he himself was nothing. It was a much-criticised, large-hearted man speaking from his heart, and Sammy didn't hold back tonight.

"We will definitely cherish this moment. I will for sure," Sammy said. "We're going to relive it every day of our lives. This is the best moment for me in any cricket. This here (the trophy) is for the Caribbean people. West Indies fans all over the world have been craving success. I know they're partying from Jamaica down to Guyana. And we know how to party. I think they'll need a lot of bartenders."

Sammy said while the critics had a job to do, he had always believed in playing for the Caribbean people. "The commentators get paid to speak. The media get paid to write stories. I get paid to play cricket," Sammy said. "Critics will always be there. Someone might find something wrong I did today even though we won. That does not worry me. The most important thing is that the team did well.

"Anybody could have an opinion about me. I like it. My shoulders are broad enough. It's been like that from the time I started cricket. Once I wear this [West Indies] crest (pointing to his shirt), I wear it on my heart. That's what matters. If I turn up and don't have a good day, I suck, I'll come the next day and try and put in a better performance. I don't play for glory. I play for the Caribbean people."

Sammy was asked what had won the game for West Indies, after they had been 32 for 2 at the halfway stage of their innings. He spoke about belief, and he spoke about God. "We have a strong belief in God. He works in mysterious ways. He performs wonders," Sammy said. "Like I kept saying in every press conference, there's a belief we had in the team. Yes, we expected them (Sri Lanka) to give us a good fight and they did.

"Throughout the last year or so, we've been showing that never-say-die attitude, but we've not been winning games. In this tournament, we've won games. Every man believed that whoever was out there could do the job. Today, it was Marlon Samuels and (Dwayne) Bravo steadying the ship. In the end, every run counts. The bowling discipline was just brilliant, and the fielding. I said we needed our A-plus game, this here is proof of it."

After Marlon Samuels' 78 had carried them to 137, Sammy said West Indies believed they had a chance. "The coach was saying that if we get the score we got in Pallekele (129 for 5 against Sri Lanka) on this wicket, we'll win the match," Sammy said. "The momentum we had from our batting carried through to our bowling. It was Dwayne Bravo's birthday, so in the huddle, I gave him the chance to say the last words before we went on the field. He said, 'let's go out there and give it our all. If we do that and play how we can play, these runs are going to be a fighting total'. Ravi (Rampaul) started it off with his first ball, and we never looked back from there.

"We have some of the most experienced Twenty20 players. Once we play the way we can, we'll always be a force to reckon with. We didn't brag about it but we believed we could go out there and take it one game at a time. I said hurdle by hurdle, and today was the final one. The coach said we're climbing to the top of a mountain, and that's where the prize is. We've got to go and take it. Today, we did that. We had different persons coming up with performances in different matches. The team has gelled well in this tournament. Signs of progress have been there, but this is the icing on the cake."

There have been questions raised about the unity of the squad in the past, and the board and the players have had numerous disputes, but Sammy hoped this victory could be the start of something new for West Indies cricket. "This is the moment here," he said. "Issues done and buried. Twenty20 World Cup, 2012, Sri Lanka - West Indies champion."

And Sammy held the trophy up. And there was another round of applause.

Abhishek Purohit is an editorial assistant at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Abhishek Purohit

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 10:24 GMT)

Congratz WI !!!, but still my love with Sri Lanka. In 2007 WC final night LTTE air strike Colombo, team was attacked by terrorists in 2009 they were survived. team played without being penny paid for more than a year. i would quit but they wont they make to 4 consecutive world cup finals ; one friend said winning is all about courage, but it take more than courage get backup and fight again again... very few teams in this whole world can do it just like Sri Lanka Cricket Team.

Posted by cjscanada on (October 9, 2012, 20:28 GMT)

"My shoulders are broad enough". This guy has guts and a lot of heart. Two teams I was backing from the start were WI and KIWI, unfortunately NZ had bad luck. I have always admired Sammy for his bigheartedness. He has soldiered on trying to create a team along with Gibson and a lot of the WI fans were baying for his blood as all they could see was Gayle. It is good to have stars but team spirit is what is needed. What is relevant was they all came together in this world cup. I dare say the WI will loose out again if the team spirit is missing and they run after stars. It is not difficult to rewind and see how Samuel has kept up his positive image and what I liked about the guy is he took time to Congratulate Sri Lanka for the people and the team. He knows it best as he has more often been there. Here's wishing Sammy many more celebrations and hopefully whole hearted support especially from their fans.

Posted by Baber_Baloch on (October 9, 2012, 13:26 GMT)

good game by WI,,,congrats from Pakistan....Just one man came back in team and now they are T20 champion...SL good luck next time

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 12:39 GMT)

Posted by SuperSharky on (October 9, 2012, 11:58 GMT)

I know that some Texas-Caribbean-Pirate is smiling today for investing his Robin Hood-money into West Indies T20 cricket. And Congratulations West Indies for focusing on how 20-twenties should be played.

Posted by riverlime on (October 9, 2012, 11:20 GMT)

Sammy has always had the capabilities as a limited over player, but the fact of the matter is that in TESTS, he is more of a second eleven bowling all-rounder. Having said that, well done to him and all the WI players. Rally round the West Indies!!

Posted by ash_symby on (October 9, 2012, 10:02 GMT)

Actually proud to see the WI team doing its best and realizing its true potential. A team which is on a downward spiral since 1996 WC Mohali semifinal against Australia. A team consistently hurt with career threatening injuries of young potential star players, a team still struggling to find its lost glory in pace bowling and has hardly found a new star player (apart from Gayle) in the recent past. I wish WI team good luck for the future and hope to see that they find their lost glory.

Posted by harshthakor on (October 9, 2012, 9:13 GMT)

Heartiest congragulations to the Calypsos for registering this historic triumph in T-20 Cricket.They played in the true spirit of the game and relentlessly stuck to their task.Markly Samuel's effort and lust hitting by Sammy gave them a fighting total.With the ball they superbly penetrated through the Sri Lankan top order to after Jayewardene and Sangakaara were coasting along.In the semi-final and final it looked as though a new spirit was instilled into this West Indian team who simply blazed away to glory.Let us hope that this victory is a stepping stone to their recovery in International cricket.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 9:12 GMT)

Cricket needs a strong Windies! This may help inspire legions of youngsters to turn their attention to cricket rather than football or basketball (or xbox!) - let's hope so.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

Darren Sammy, with his limited cricketing skills, but with great man-management comes up trumps and silences his critics. All he had done is brought some discipline and never say die attitude very much like Sourav Ganguly did for India in this team and now has result to show. Great victory West Indies. We hope to see a more strong and determined West Indies team in future.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 8:13 GMT)

well done west indies but personally being a pakistani my all wishes towards sri lankan team better luck next time team sri lanka

Posted by cricinme on (October 9, 2012, 7:49 GMT)

Though I am an Indian I have been a lover of West Indian cricket. Darren Sammy really deserves this cup. He has taken up the reigns of the team when they were really in the dumps and given his best both bat and ball. He might not be the greatest captain but surely will be the most lovable nd adorable.

Posted by Buckers410 on (October 9, 2012, 6:39 GMT)

I just hope these guys can take this onto the test cricket field and play like this becaus ethey all have the talent.

Posted by vipravara on (October 9, 2012, 6:23 GMT)

@Ramakrishnan Subramaniam- The said match was played on 16-18 of Nov 1974. Link: http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1974-75/WI_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/WI_SOUTH_16-18NOV1974.html

Posted by sichu_emerald on (October 9, 2012, 5:54 GMT)

Mr. Lloyd, This cup is for you, you said "No more tears in my eyes were leftout to cry" I can undertsand that, having been a mighty cricketing nation in the past, you could've not digested the way the carribean cricket were in all these years...draught has ended and here is your man sammy who did it JUST FOR YOU...CHERISH THE MOMENTS...Although i wished SL to win this cup for their consistency and for their greatest captain (next to Arjuna), this cup means so much for your carribean people and your cricket, keep doing it again. All the best to you guys, a sincere wish from an INDIAN.

Posted by typos on (October 9, 2012, 5:48 GMT)

After being a Sammy basher, I took a decision not to berate the captain after the England series where the man tried hard. I am happy for him and happy that we won. Some of my fellow Caribbean brethren also criticised the picks of Rampaul who got wickets in his first over in 3 games including 2 against England and one with his first ball in the final; Badree who was our most economical bowler after Narine; Charles who top-scored against England (at least he is younger than Smith and Simmons and can be a good investment). Insularity is still rife among fans. I am not saying the selections are all perfect but at some point we need to support them, build a team around them and develop an infrastructure that will promote success. Conversely, when players are given fair chances and not performing, they need to make way and go back to 4 day cricket to improve...read Pollard. I will also say horses for courses, as in this tournament, is a viable option. Go Windies!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 5:20 GMT)

Well Done West Indies.... Really love the Oppa West Indian Style of Celebrating the BIG WIN !!! Please bring the back the performances of 1970s... Love you guys coming back strongly !!!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 5:13 GMT)

best of luck....hope so they do well in future...

Posted by Anil_Koshy on (October 9, 2012, 5:09 GMT)

Congratulations to West Indies, they will be a formidable side once again.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 5:08 GMT)

I predicted or not but am very happy they won this championship, most deserving am glad both my neighbors Sri Lanka and west indies made to finals. Hope they continue winning games in all formats am sure they have more Vivs, Laras, Garners, Marshals, Andys to entertain us. Thanks for the show guys.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 4:38 GMT)

Wonderful team effort, great batting and bowling unit.. Congrats windies!!!

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 4:33 GMT)

We Sri Lankans are terribly disappointed. But reading what Sammy said (and I heard him speak the words, too), we find consolation in losing to such nice guys!

We remember the wonderful run that the West Indies had from about 1960 onwards. Even before that, there was the period of the three Ws. Around 1980 they were quite invincible. So well done! Congratulations!!

I cannot congratulate Sri Lanka; how sad! But I say,"Well done! You played well!!"

Posted by ChathuSL on (October 9, 2012, 4:04 GMT)

Congratulations for west indies for your win...... I didn't expect WI to depend that 137 in our soil against us. but they have done it. wonderful teem effort.. I think game changing moment was Dilshan's wicket by that unplayable dilivery from Rampaul. Then we had to go in slow geer. We couldn't change that. WI balled realy well. Once again I congratulate WI players who took a WC for their people after 33...... from a Sri lankan fan.

Posted by solankibhavesh on (October 9, 2012, 3:42 GMT)

Congratulation to the west indies team for won the T20 CWC and Best of luck for future. this the game from windies team played and every one waiting for this game they played like champion and noe they are and this is huge celebration time for caribbean people. And this the best way to give answer to critics by summy

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 3:00 GMT)

Where are all the bloggers who predicted a SL win...blowing out the Windies?

Posted by Lamsalsandesh on (October 9, 2012, 2:38 GMT)

I must say "BRAVOoooooooooooooo" for W.Indies.

I was looking such win since many years. Now i can keep my head up proudly to forget those days when any win is a big ask.

I hope the team will perform like a champion in all format of the game and make all their favourite people champion.

I still feel w.Indies team need one good opener bats man and Keeper for perfect team.

Posted by kunderanengineer on (October 9, 2012, 2:06 GMT)

After all the unfair criticisms in the past meted out to Sammy and Samuels by fans on these very pages I'm so glad to see them finally vindicated. Sammy has shown that he is the great unifier who stresses the team concept ahead of individual achievements and Samuels' cool demeanor on the playing field which has wrongfully been mistaken by some for indifference and lack of passion couldn't be further from the truth and boy did he prove that! The monkey is off your backs now guys; work on the other 2 formats of the game and this team has the potential to go very very far.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 0:59 GMT)

AUS-WI semifinal , Me to my brother :If Windies go crazy anything is possible. brother: Wao this was soooo unexpected :D SL-WI final , Me to my brother : Waite and see trophy is there's o_O OMG OOMMGGG !!!!! windies are the world champions :D

congratulations West Indies and best of luck for the future, regards from Pakistan.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 0:29 GMT)

Congrats to the Windies Team for a stunning Championship!!!

Posted by johnathonjosephs on (October 9, 2012, 0:08 GMT)

Unlike the many jokers here that say that they "predicted West Indies would win", I actually toted the West Indies are favorites along with Sri Lanka, Australia, and South Africa on a cricinfo article. 3 of those 4 teams actually made it to the semi finals

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 23:46 GMT)

Congrats to Windies on such a fine performance and of course for their win! Proud to be West Indian and even prouder to be Lucian! Great job Sammy!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 23:10 GMT)

Let's hope the WICB rise to the team they have now. Brilliant win.

Posted by FOTO on (October 8, 2012, 22:24 GMT)

The fallen champions are now back up! West Indies will be dominant in the future... Australia will falter... Bangladesh will rise... Virat Kholi may pass Tendulker's 100 100 if he is in consistent form...

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 21:53 GMT)

congratulation to the west indies for taking this one to the top thats where u guys belong anyways

Posted by NkSad on (October 8, 2012, 20:39 GMT)

Congrats to the Windies boy, never stop believe. Lol see how many people jump onto the West Indies bandwagon.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 20:39 GMT)

SL fell in their own whole, They tried to trap W.indies just like the way they did to Pakistan, but hatts off to Sammi XI.... dont know why,, but all the world (Except SL people) happy about W.indies winning.. congrates windies on the superb win...

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 20:25 GMT)

Well done WestIndies! We had just few teams dominating the world cricket in last decade and cricket itself needed a a new champion for its sustenance. Hope this World cup is one of the many cups you will take home in coming years.

Posted by AKHLAQ11 on (October 8, 2012, 20:11 GMT)

i always support west indies , when australia toured west indies in may, june , west indies came close to win 1st test match, same thing happen when they drawn test match in mumbai ,,,, CONGRATULATION WEST INDIES , I WILLL ALWAYS SUPPORT WEST INDIES AND DARREN SAMMY

Posted by DaGameChanger on (October 8, 2012, 19:52 GMT)

Sourav Ganguly was the first to predict that WI are favorites. Now thats some understanding of the game. India loves WI..it feels as quite good when your second favorite team wins.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

great team effort :):)) combination of good players. :) and a very dangerous team.. SO we can say that west indies are back.. just like west indies in past :)

Posted by positiveg on (October 8, 2012, 19:41 GMT)

Congratulations to my team, the World Champions West Indies. Sooo proud of you guys. Did something many people doubted, but you guys believed and with that belief conquered all around you to win. Congrats team.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 19:33 GMT)

West Indies..Yeah..Its a dream team....

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 19:17 GMT)

I swear, I told everyone before the World cup that these guys will lift the trophey at the end, but everyone laught at me...

And today, it's time to give all those guys a big slap on their face...

West Indies always had a place in my heart, doesnt matter how its going on the field.

I always had a special feeling for these guys, I dont know maybe its because of people like darren sammy with a wonderful personality, and their belief in god and destiny.

What a great and emotional press conference it was, the best ever!! even I've seen the press conference , I enjoyed this article like it was the last article I'm reading.

I'm not frm West Indies, but you would think I have more emotions for Pakistani team and I support the Pakistani team more. But it will be strange for you guys to know that I have the same feelings and emotions for West Indies cricket like I have for Pakistani side Long Live West Indies!

A Pakistani die hard fan!

Posted by GayleFORCEwinds on (October 8, 2012, 19:16 GMT)

Wi need to make use of this team in test along with other players like chander youg bravo roach and other guys Gayle bravo samuels bravo pollard chanderpual russell k edwards sammy ramdin roach narine badrie rampaul edwards

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 19:04 GMT)

congrats for the windies!!! we heard enough of the lankans reahing finals several times. other teams also have done that. aussies reached in the finals 5 times, and won 4 of them. India too reached the finals 4 times!, 1983,2003,2007,2011, and won 3!!

Posted by SoulTaker on (October 8, 2012, 18:56 GMT)

I think the main reason some players are playing in the WI team are due the exposure they got in IPL....Gayle was all over the news and the WI board couldnt resist him...Now look at them...it made them wonders since they included him in the team...am not taking any credit from them, they played exceptionally well...for those who are question IPL...this is why people love IPL it gives so much exposure to players that even the local clubs could not do it....another example is Brad hogg from Australia...IPL is an excellent opportunity for the players around the world to showcase the talent....Now all the Ind team haters out there dont start an hate comment for this post...am just posting what i feel.....

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 18:46 GMT)

dreams comes true for me.

Posted by PakEditor on (October 8, 2012, 18:08 GMT)

Just for the celebrations alone I'd like them to win more. Now if West Indies can drag Usain Bolt into their Cricket team.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 18:08 GMT)

Congratultions..After all indians from different land prevailed... kudos West Indies

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 18:06 GMT)

Well done Sri Lanka and West Indies for a fantastic final. Phenomenal the way the game changed and changed. Definitely the sides who deserved to be in the final. Pity my team (SA) was poor, but these things happen. I'm not normally the biggest T20 fan, but it was a great game. And I really enjoyed the cool island anthems, both countries I have always wanted to visit.

Posted by TrueFactors on (October 8, 2012, 17:58 GMT)

Only deserving team for this WC... In fact, WI was only team who deserved this trophy because they played clean cricket. All other teams had no cricket spirit. They were very mean and playing dirty tricks to keep their challenging teams out and make their race easy. This WI winning was close to India 2011 wc win, who beat all big teams during winning streak. During this WC, India was weak against pace and their batsmen are out of form since 2011 WC win. Pak was inconsistent and SA was weak in handling pressure. SA lost it due to De'villiers failure. Aus had some success thanks to IPL experience. NZ is a weak team. Eng was the weakest. They don't know how to play in sub-continent. They could win if players were allowed to play in IPL. Stupid ECB. WI success is due to their IPL experience who know how to play here. Few other individual success like - Watson, Warner, Franklin and hussey owe the same to IPL. Afghan is good team who need guidance and opportunities to grow.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 17:50 GMT)

Rally round the West indies!! Impressed with the overall team effort! Well done guys.!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 17:50 GMT)

Congratulations, WI, on your World Cup victory. Hope this brings a new era reminiscent of the glory days of Viv Richards and Michael Holding, et. al.. Good luck from an SL fan.

Posted by gibbs.175 on (October 8, 2012, 17:43 GMT)

PRIDE........FOR whole CARIBBEAN NATION ......congratulations.............carry on ..GUYS..........!!!!! South AFRICA learn from them .....how to win or play........?

Posted by ibbani on (October 8, 2012, 17:22 GMT)

Wonderful win to my favorite team just after INDIA, I supported your team to the core, celebbrated fo every Lankan wicket that fell and cheered for every run the WI scored. Felt 138 was 10-20 less, but in the end it was more than enough. Good innings by Marlon Samuels. Narine,Ravi,Sammy all came good. team effort did all for WI. keep going and get up the ladder in ICC rankings now.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 17:19 GMT)

This match was in 1973 and not 1974. I remember this match to this day as I bunked school that day and was thrashed the next by my principal. Every fielder from South Zone was posted on the boundary line and Greenidge could clear the same very easily. Abid Ali who was a leading South Zone bowler was taken to the cleaners.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 16:33 GMT)

congratulations to the West Indies - played superbly and the final was a great match

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 16:29 GMT)

Great win for West Indies cricket, keep fighting and one day we will be on top again.

Posted by rayinto on (October 8, 2012, 16:19 GMT)

Pretty soon the runs are going to flow like water Bringing so much joy to every son and daughter Say we're going to rise again like a raging fire As the sun shines you know we gonna take it higher Rally, rally round the West Indies Now and forever Rally, rally round the West Indies

Posted by Ray24 on (October 8, 2012, 16:10 GMT)

Although as a Pak fan I wanted Sri Lanka to win, but it was really heartening to see WI win this tournament. May this be the revival of their cricket and may they rise to be amongst the best teams as they were in the past. This comes from a Pakistani cricket fan - tough luck my Sri Lanka brothers, this wasn't meant to be. But you will get there, all the best to you as well.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 16:07 GMT)

Windies cricket looking good...congrats to Sammy & co..but don't get too cocky..remain humble as make our way back up de mountain..it aint gonna be easy.."starting all over again, is gonna rough,but we gonna make it." We must make a few changes in administration to continue our climb to de top.With JAH as our guide,any thing is possible.Bonne chance Windies!!!

Posted by dalok on (October 8, 2012, 15:29 GMT)

Congratulations WI!!! I am an India fan and I like both SL and WI. Was rooting for WI yesterday and glad to see that they delivered. Sangakkara's departure I thought was key turning moment of the game.

Posted by hareesh4619 on (October 8, 2012, 15:27 GMT)

Congrats WI Team, nice team show. Truely deserve the win.

Posted by Harry1218 on (October 8, 2012, 15:21 GMT)

The CRAZY Caribbean deserves this.......

Posted by creekeetman on (October 8, 2012, 15:18 GMT)

@ Satyanarayana Ramachandran, just a few years later the WI did something very similar to India in a test match, if i remember correctly it was at kingston, India went in to tea on the last day with 4 wkts remaining in their second innings, and a lead of over 160 runs. after tea, Roberts ran through the innings and WI had to score over 170 runs in about 25 overs, in those days at test level no one thought it was possible, but Richards blasted a half century and they won, i think with a couple overs to spare.

Posted by Vindaliew on (October 8, 2012, 15:17 GMT)

It says a lot about how much Sammy has gone through and had to endure, that after reading this article I actually had tears in my eyes. This could not have happened to a more deserving captain!

Posted by hnlns on (October 8, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

This was probably one of the most entertaining T20 WC finals and probably produced the worthy champions in WI. For the sake of more balance in terms of team strengths among the big 8 in cricket world, I wish WI should play with this same fighting spirit as a team together more often in future so we will have better quality cricket overall rather than one team dominating for too long and other teams way too behind to catch up with the number 1 team.

Posted by Real_Champs on (October 8, 2012, 14:37 GMT)

The attitude of WestIndies is simply <3 <3 ,<3 But I feel sad about Sri Lankans too from 2007 to 2012 4 finals and not a single reward I still remember when in 2009 we were in T20's fianl against Sri Lanka I said to my self last Time we lost This will be ours and Thanks to Allah we won that ... But i have a sad feeling about Sri Lanka... Last But not the Least WESTINDIES you deserve it

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 14:25 GMT)

Congratulations Windies... So good to see this legendary (cricketing) nation reach the top on more time... It was also provided us the opportunity to know Sammy the man... Claiming to be modest is very easy but once one is on top, one's words speak a great deal about him... There is so much to learn from this team, that is no longer one man show and they proved it last night....

Posted by Rohanbandekar on (October 8, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

Congrats westindies and well done srilanka

Posted by SaraPavan on (October 8, 2012, 13:46 GMT)

CONGRATULATIONS on your victory at the World ICC T20 2012.

Posted by Romenevans on (October 8, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

The entire India and the world loves this WI team...no matter if they win or lose, but the passion and entertainment they bring to the table is amazing. Long live WI cricket...Fans from India are always with you. Marlon you beauty!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

West Indies, you were the most deserving team in the tournament. And, you did it. Hearty congratulations.

Posted by pravin10 on (October 8, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

I'm very happy for the west indies team as this success would revive their cricket and don't be surprised to see an attacking WI' team from now on as we have seen them in 70's and 80's. As an indian fan I wanted WI to win the tournament and take home the World Cup and that came true. Happy the way it goes. Finally better luck for Sl, You deserved to be in final, but unfortunately you didn't play a better cricket on the final day. Had mahela been there till the end, the story would have been different.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

Malinga in SriLankan bowling; and Sachin in Indian batting... Pl check the date of expiry! (Anyway, they could continue to be soul brothers for Mumbai Indians. Of course, Bhajji will also give the two good company, there)

Posted by mixlocks on (October 8, 2012, 13:30 GMT)

As a life long fan of Caribbean cricket I'm calling on the wicb to please bring back r sarwan & j taylor

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

"The commentators get paid to speak. The media get paid to write stories. I get paid to play cricket," Sammy said. VERY WELL SAID, SAMMY! Quotable quote. Superb!

Posted by spinkingKK on (October 8, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

Congratulations to a fantastic team. I am very much happy to see West Indies win this. It is exactly as I predicted before the tournament began. They were the best team in the tournament by a fair distance. India was the distant second. However, they were badly done by the Australians when they decided to give a huge win to the Pakisthan just to be certain that they will make to the semis. In any case, India would have ben no match for the West Indies in the final. Gayle, Narine, Samuels and Pollard are the heroes. Narine should have been the combined man of the match in the final.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:04 GMT)

Congratulations West Indies team for wining a tournament after 1979.

Posted by Technical-1 on (October 8, 2012, 13:03 GMT)

Great Win! Thanks to the PDS! The Semi is what makes the win possible.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 13:01 GMT)

Well hard luck Lions, but the world should remember this was the fourth time that Sri Lanka qualified for a ICC World Cup final, they lost to Australia, Pakistan, India and West Indies but they consistently reached the finals, i think that is something to be happy about, they just lost four games on four bad days!

Congratulations to Windies as well for their achievement, they were the best team on that day. Hard Luck for Lions and i guess they have to wait for another few years to win a ICC WC. But Sanga and Mahela deserves a World Cup.

Posted by lgnandan on (October 8, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

They deserve the title. I hope it would bring confidence to West Indies cricket to bring back its glory of past

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 12:53 GMT)

In the heat of our celebrations we almost forgot Simon Teufnel's two shocking LBW decisions(Bravo & Russel) agst WI. N-the-less he was one of the best, with Dharma(SL) closely following. All the best to Simon in his future endeavours.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 12:45 GMT)

GENTLMEN YOU ALL MADE MY DAY.iiT WAs MAGNIFICENT. CONTINUED SUCCESS AND CONTINUE TO STAY FOCUS!

Posted by HumungousFungus on (October 8, 2012, 12:18 GMT)

For me, the West Indies are the heart and soul of cricket, and it has been very disappointing to watch them languishing amongst the also-rans for much of the last 20 years. I hope that this deserved victory is a precursor to continued improvement in all forms of the game. World cricket would be all the better for having a strong West Indies team again...

Posted by wnwn on (October 8, 2012, 12:17 GMT)

West Indies now have the players to dominate limited overs cricket and also compete in test cricket. It's a shame that they don't want to play test cricket.

Posted by shinewindies on (October 8, 2012, 12:14 GMT)

AT last the wait is over and our team has played to its potential and snubbed away all the critics calling it a paper team, still would want a better wicketkeeper batsmen in the team so that we can compete in all formats, anyways one of the best days of my life. GOD bless Westindies and many more to come.

Posted by maddyjagadish on (October 8, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

I'am very happy for windies. windies win is good for the game of cricket, hope they continue the same in the future as well......

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 11:54 GMT)

Well done ...West Indians........ Your efforts and hard work paid off.....

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (October 8, 2012, 11:47 GMT)

Well,a great win nonetheless ,it can't be all good news - just see the fate of so called world cup winners India and England after their victory and you feel Windies are in for a real slump.Sad,because they had been showing some improvement in the past year or so.So get ready for a series of thumping losses in all forms in the coming year or so and that is not saying much as WI were not exactly winning a lot in any case.That is the prob with teams with (big) fluke wins ,so just enjoy while it lasts-not for too long! In any case WI are after all a one man team but for Gayle and a li'l bit S Narine,the rest being pretty ordinary.Lucky that Gayle clicked vs Australia and Watson and co had an off day.Also lucky that they got Watson early or even Gayle wouldn't save them.Any congrats to undeserving winners WI (and lucky).You know the only deserving 'winners' should be Aus that just missed out or yesterday the Aussies would've had yet another trophy in the bag back home.....

Posted by gulam8988 on (October 8, 2012, 11:45 GMT)

well played windies,u truly deserved this glory...

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 11:43 GMT)

congrats!!!!!!!!! well done sammy!!! after all these years u have proved ur self regards a Pakistani.

Posted by randikaayya on (October 8, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

COngrats to the Windies on winning the tournament, a team that needed this win more than any other and it showed in their body language. Well done lads. And congratilations Sri Lanka, SLC and the Sri Lankan people on pulling off the perfect tournament. This should be the blueprint of future ICC events. Relatively short and beaufitully organized with less paraphernalia but full of energy and viewing pleasure

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 10:55 GMT)

Here is a man who is humble, hungry and honored as he has brought glory to WI cricket; nay to the world cricket. He spoke his heart out. He believes in himself and his team. WELL DONE DARREN AND THE WI TEAM. CONGRATS. World cricket looks so much beautiful and worth watching once you guys are in your element. Wish your team many more glorious days ahead. From Pakistan

Posted by dbk86 on (October 8, 2012, 10:54 GMT)

Congratulations to West Indies team from BANGLADESH! :D

Posted by Gamika on (October 8, 2012, 10:43 GMT)

It has all been enormous fun and great fight between two best teams in the world. Though SL sits as runners up for the fourth time in a world event, I salute whole team and Mahela for their effort. SL been a small Island archived a lot all these years after winning the world cup of 1996. Some egomaniacs has criticize the performance of Individual players and questioned the decisions which made by Mahela during the final. But remember WI was 34 runs after 10th over. They couldn't score a run from the bat till 17th Ball. That's the power SL has with their baling department. Unless WI would've smashed SL like Aussies.. Darren Sammy led them to a first world title since 1979… this is a great achievement after 33 years! Congratulations WI !!.....

Posted by gemind on (October 8, 2012, 10:30 GMT)

Australia defeated them in Group Stage, they took a massive revenge in Semi's. Sri Lanka defeated them in Super Eight Stage, they took an impressive revenge in Finals .... This Caribbean Side is Solid and Lethal, they really WON this Championship and They have WON not only the Caribbean Hearts, but of Millions of Cricket Fans all over the world .... Congratulations from PAKISTAN

Posted by thebeardedblunder on (October 8, 2012, 10:26 GMT)

I'm not normally an emotional man, you know being a proud Englishman, the stiff upper lip and all that. But listening to Darren Sammy (so humble) and watching the West Indies win caused me TO WEEP WITH UNASHAMED JOY!!!!!!!!! Not only are W.I. champions but CRICKET IS THE WINNER! Children of the Caribbean drop that basketball, lay down your baseball bat and run out into the street to play the wonderful game we call cricket! And Darren Sammy, you're a legend.......TAKE A BOW SIR!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SuperSharky on (October 8, 2012, 10:03 GMT)

Congratulations West Indies, you deserve to be T20 World Champions. But I must ad that this result comes as no surprise to me, for I have predicted 2 moths ago that they stand the best chance to win the tournament. They just have too many T20 stars. I still reckon that Malinga is the best T20 bowler in the world and I will never forget his 4 wickets in a row against S.A. in a 1 day. It's just that Marlon Sammuels had a freakish superhero innings. I don't think any other batsmen was so much on song to hit Malinga like that. It won't be easy to repeat that performance against Malinga's yorkers. And congratulations Shane Watson for 4 Man Of The Match performances in a row and for being the best player of the tournament. To take a team, that was not so long ago rated 10th in the world, to a semi-final is outstanding.

Posted by Ramansilva on (October 8, 2012, 9:52 GMT)

As a Sri Lankan fan I am gutted that we lost but at the same time happy for Windies. They deserved it more than us after a long wait. Congratulations!!! to Windies team for entertaining us. You were the most admired side for us and we fans wanted to meet you in the finals. That we got. Rampaul's ball to Dilshan was an absolute ripper. I think that changed the game in favor of Windies more than the batting of Samuels. Keep it up guys. Bring back your former glory and power to world cricket.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 9:37 GMT)

Congratulations Darren Sammy and to the West Indians.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 9:23 GMT)

Congrats WIndies, and the win was truly well deserved by you guys. Probably, one of the rare moments where even all the opponent are praising you guys, and no one against you even after getting defeated. Good going and keep up the tempo in further cricket endeavours. Cheers,

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 9:20 GMT)

West Indies are the best people who really love cricket while it played, they deserved this win for their unity and the captaincy of sammy. from the day Sammy took the leadership, till today he makes a difference to ppl about looking @ WI. He lead the team like a legend and teammates giving best out of em. I really admired by the Speech of sammy and the Quote is what all say bout them, "Never say Die"...

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 9:08 GMT)

South Zone v West Indians Hyderabad 16,17,18 November 1974

Result: West Indians won by 9 wickets

I very well remember the day when south Zone captain venkata raghavan declared the innings after tea on the last day leaving a huge 162 runs to be scored in 20 mandatory overs. and there born the T20 format... see the score board below. Remember it was in 1974-when even one day format was not known. That is WEST-INDIES..

West Indians 2nd innings (target: 163 runs) CG Greenidge c Jayantilal b Vijayakumar 32 *CH Lloyd not out 79 AI Kallicharran not out 44 Extras (b 1, lb 7) 8 Total (1 wicket, 18.2 overs) 163

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 8:55 GMT)

I THINK SRILANKAN UNDER ESTIMATED THE WEST INDIES FOR THEIR FOR 39 IN 10 OVERS THEY SHOULD HAVE RESTRICTED THEM LESS THAN 100 BUT AS ALL WAYS MALINGA COMES GIVES 4 OVERS FOR 56 RUNS THATS NOT T20'S BEST BOWLER. THAT WAS THE TURNING POINT OF THE MATCH HARD LUCK SRILANKA CONGRATS WEST INDIES FROM AN INDIAN FAN

Posted by 12bil on (October 8, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

many congrats to windies they deserve that victory they truley played fantastic cricket in whole tournament samules and gayle are the champ.chris gayle dancing was really good in the tournament i was also expecting that in the final but mendis stops him doing that chicken dance gayle style...........

Posted by vish57 on (October 8, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

Many congratulations to Windes for playing such a good game of cricket; as a team you deserve to win having beaten Austraila and Sri Lanka convincingly, above alll the last ball run out on New Zealand and the subsequent super over victory. We enjoy west Indian game of cricket though I feel for Jayawardene and Sankagara, two gentlemen of Srilankan cricket being in team, yet without winning the world cup for the forth time. Srilankan middle order was never tested & early loss of top 3 batsmen proved a disaster for them,middle order indeed weak. Good luck next time for Lankans.

Posted by kums1985 on (October 8, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

YES YES YES AS I TOLD BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT THE WINDIES R THE CHAMPS FOR GOOD NOW THE NEXT TARGET IS SERIES IN AUSTRALIA IN JANUARY 2013 AND THE LAST EDITION OF THE CHAMPIONS TROPHY IN ENGLAND 2013 THEY WILL WIN THE TOURNAMENT BY BEATING INDIA IN THE FINALAS MIND IT CAN U DIH THAT -------------- GANGNAM STYLE ROCKS?????????????

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 8:32 GMT)

Congrats Buddies..!! even USSAIN BOLT also so happy. You gave the proper treat to Aussies.. so from that time..You deserve this Trophy.. Real Champions..BRAVO !! an Indian

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 8:20 GMT)

After reading this article I must say he(sammy) deserves to be a captain of his team.....congrats n Good luck team indies

Posted by TheTraveller on (October 8, 2012, 8:16 GMT)

Congratulations Windies. They deserve this victory. It will bring a new life to west indies cricket.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 8:14 GMT)

waoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by DMcric on (October 8, 2012, 8:04 GMT)

Congratulations to West Indies team! I hope and pray for much more success in the future. Best wishes from India.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

Well deserved Champions.. It's not about Gayless..,Bravoss,Pollardss,Sammyss,Narainss.. etc. It's all about the team work and You guys proved Last nite only 1 team deserves n needed to hold the Champions World Cup i.e. West Indies.. Love you..

Posted by Theredbaron on (October 8, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

This is so good and healthy for world cricket, the Windies are back!! Please do not belittle the fact that it is a T20 tournament, they played high quality cricket and I do believe they will be a force for the future. This will also get the Caribbean kids playing cricket on the beach again, and its a matter of time before the opposition teams will be facing a pace battery and calypso batsmen. Yea maaan

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 7:59 GMT)

Congratulations to WI team ! Samuels batted like a champion he smashed Mallinga all over the ground (39 runs in 11 balls), Sunil was bowled brilliantly 'n' Rampal bowled the ball of the tournament.

Posted by ambujkumar on (October 8, 2012, 7:59 GMT)

my heartiest congrtulations to West Indies for winning this T20 world cup and i hope this would lift the standard of world cup and increase the number of cricket fans in around caribbean islands. well played Windies...:-)

Posted by Shumbu on (October 8, 2012, 7:37 GMT)

@WickyRoy.paklover What's wrong if Indians support Windies? India didn't qualify for semis but we love cricket and we wanted to support another team till the end of this tournament. At least there is 'India' in 'West Indies' and it is natural to support them as our second team. Also, we were really happy to see the way Windies thrashed Ausis in the semis!! Special thanks for Mr. Gayle on that!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 7:36 GMT)

when carbian celebrations starts , every body enjoy the movement, congrats sammy team,

Posted by yorkslanka on (October 8, 2012, 7:33 GMT)

I must say when Sammy was made captain of this team,i wondered why..It is now clearly evident that he is born leader and must be a true diplomat to ensure that people from all the different Islands stick together..Inspirational leadership and a great team performance led to the West Indies winning (absolutely deservedly) yesterday and although I am sad our team lost, there are no excuses from me. We were beaten by the better team on the day and I hope there are more wins to come for Sammy and his team as they deserve it..well done and all the best for the future..

Posted by 5udh33r on (October 8, 2012, 7:27 GMT)

Congratulations and Celebrations for WEST INDIES.

Posted by pvwadekar on (October 8, 2012, 7:22 GMT)

Congratulations to the West Indies Team. Sammy has really been a leader and no one should question his position in this team. His players believe in him and will follow him. After a very long time West Indies have a fantastic team that is a mixture of seniors and talented young bastsmen, a batter of young fast bowers and very good spinners. They are all gelling together. The WICB and WIPA must recognize this and try and work together to make sure that there is harmony in the dressing room and minimize any conflicts. there is enough talent here to make sure that West Indies can be one of the top 3 to 4 teams in Tests, ODI and T20. This should be the long term goal and improving basic infrastructure to provide that youngsters are encouraged to take cricket.

Posted by gmsjgmsj on (October 8, 2012, 7:17 GMT)

Congrats to Darren Sammy and his vibrant team for winning the T20 Cup! While commentators wax eloquent on the great leadership skills of Mahela, Smith and Dhoni (in other formats), no one praised Sammy for being a warm, down-to-earth and humble person on and off the field. In fact, this very quality of humility was responsible for dealing with the pressure of a final. Like a good Christian, he was ready to do his all and wait for God to bestow. Sammy has dealt with finesse in bringing some of his superstar players and upcoming talents and has synergised their talents with a non nonsense approach.. Much like how Lloyd did it in late 70s. Today no true cricket fan will ever grudge Windies for this win. We all want Windies to rule cricket again with their skill, grace and enjoyment of the game!

Posted by Hammond on (October 8, 2012, 7:14 GMT)

Congrats to the west indies. I don't care a whit that T20 to me is a debarcle, the windies really needed a shot in the arm and Sammy & Co have delivered. Let's hope that this kicks on their test cricket and Australia v West Indies is once again one of the most cherished contests here in Australia, with the big fast bowlers once again roaring in. All hail Calypso Cricket!

Posted by peteaz on (October 8, 2012, 7:12 GMT)

As a Sri Lankan I am sad we lost, But i was delighted to hear what sammy said at the awards ceremony,How he believed in GOD and how Jesus died for him.

This was one of the best moments in life that you come a cross, cos its from deep down fm his heart not as a ritual or command which u some times, see happening

Well, we were complacent today, once GALYE was out after using 2.5 overs for 2 runs n with the best blower in the world not even bowl g a single ball, we thought a we had won the battle 50%,but not to be, even when they got 138 was a piece of cake , as they didn't have any star class bowlers, the conditions and spectators was all for us,yet when Sammy believed, in GOD he was able to move mountains , Well, done WestIndians you were rightful winners you deserve it,

There will be comparisons that we lost the 2nd final,but every one knows what happen to the 50 overs WC final, its was a gift to India. Mahala n Boys we proud of you'll well done we only hv 19 m ppl its ok

Posted by cric2fan2 on (October 8, 2012, 7:08 GMT)

Good Job West Indies great day for cricket indeed. I hope they become another great competitive team and win more often.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 7:07 GMT)

Well done WEST WINDIES! and Sammy! I hope this victory will bring back West Windies Era!..... best wisher from Bangladesh

Posted by lakers51982 on (October 8, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

Nice and too see so many sri lankans fans are crying and congratulating the West Indian side. Sri Lankans are over confident but West Indians are self confident. Well done West Indies for your great treat. Hope all Sri Lankans may keep quit from now commenting others.

Posted by WickyRoy.paklover on (October 8, 2012, 7:01 GMT)

Gd win 4 windies cnsidrng they weren't ovr.relient on "gayle magic".PITCHS 4 IST SEMI N DIS FINAL WERE AWFUL,IT WAS LIKE BAT FIRST,U WOULD WIN D MATCH,FEEL SORY 4 MY PAK TEAM NOW.ICC MUST DO SOMETHING.

Posted by RanjithShettyJordan on (October 8, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Congarts to my dear Spartans. You are the present day spartans and i can see u. Huge men with soft smile and great heart. I LOVE U GUYS AND ENJOY THE PARTY.

Posted by Newlandsfaithful on (October 8, 2012, 6:58 GMT)

Belief is massive in Cricket. I think having the big man Gayle there has helped WI massively - not only in terms of his contributions, but the self-belief he has given the team. Glad for WI and Gayle that they could resolve their differences. WI was the team, the people that needed this win the most. Hey, maybe God knew that.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 6:51 GMT)

Congratulations to the West Indies Cricket Team, Board and all the nations in the Carribean.

Posted by Gladkick on (October 8, 2012, 6:47 GMT)

Congrats for my Windies team and the fand. I'm an Indian fan. But, I really need to congradulate you guys for the way you played the game. I have never seen an amazing captain and such a fearful Windies cricket team in my life. They were the champions 33 years before and I always wanted to know they way their greats played. Now after 33 years, I got to see how the champions play. This is a well deserved win and trophy for them. They really deserve it. No doubt. They played great cricket with great enthusiasm and energy and a lot of joy. I always thought Sammy was a great captain material with great brain, and he proved it to the world. They played as a team, they played like a champion. I just wish and pray that from now on, they play to their potential and keep playing the same way which will be a great entertainment for cricket. Be proud to be a Windies fan guys! Windies Rock!!! Good luck and all the best!

Posted by Donga-The-Bonga on (October 8, 2012, 6:40 GMT)

Cocky Lanka nose dive Kamikazi style in to the Abyss! CONGRATS West Indies.

Posted by WickyRoy.paklover on (October 8, 2012, 6:39 GMT)

The way some indian fans r comentng throughout dis week,I THOUGHT MR.SAMMY WOULD B SAYING,"THS Z 4 THE PEOPLE OF INDIA",LOLZ

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (October 8, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

Congrats WI. Nice to see the gallery was silent unlike the 121th run of Ind Vs SA match.

Posted by koundinya on (October 8, 2012, 6:24 GMT)

BROVO- WONDERFULLY PLAYED . WHAT A MATCH. FROM NOWHERE FROM A STATE OF PROBLEM( half way the score was 39/3 -@10 overs. MARLON SAMULES SHOWN THE WAY WITH DETERMINATION TO SCORE. OHHH / THE BEST FAST BOWLER IN THIS SORT OF GAMES WAS TRASHED ALL OVER THE PARK.

THEN BOWLED WONDERFULLY WELL. THEY DESERVE TO WIN--- BAD LUCK LANKA. WESTINDIES PLEASE KEEP UP THE SPIRITS FOR FUTURE ALSO KESAV KOUNDINYA

Posted by challagalla on (October 8, 2012, 6:15 GMT)

gutted when Sri Lanka lost. I badly wanted them to win after being so consistent . One part of me says atleast Windies won. They deserve it and lets hope for the resurgence of cricket in those beautiful islands. I love Sri Lanka for the same reasons. I love the easy going, never say die spirit of these people and always look for the slightest reason to visit Sri Lanka and boy do they know how to party. The team spirit and unity of purpose was transparent and clear for every one to see about the windies. Sammy is good. Rampal truly bowled the ball of the tournament. I wish I had seen the same unity in my team , the men ib blues.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 6:12 GMT)

Both Sri Lanka and the West Indies were brilliant. Both played with honor and gave us a huge amount of entertainment throughout the tournament. I was supporting both teams in the final - if Sri Lanka had won I would have been just as happy. Unfortunately someone had to lose, but Sri Lankans should be proud of their team. They gave their all. And the West Indies fans are probably still celebrating. Congratulations to both teams!

Posted by NP_NY on (October 8, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

In the last couple of years, I haven't seen another captain criticized som much as Sammy has been. I always wondered why because he has been leading the team well, bowling decently (cleverly is a better word) and contributing with the bat now and then. It is really good to see this man get the much deserved result finally. Go West Indies. Wishes from India !!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 5:59 GMT)

And thats one of the down to the earth speech by Sammy. He has really worked hard to bring his players together and win this T20 WORLD CUP. Congratulations once again and hats off to the West Indies Team........

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 5:48 GMT)

so happy to see my second team win! Congrats WI captain, people and team. Cherish the moments. Best wishes from Pakistan.

Posted by Cric_Wiz on (October 8, 2012, 5:43 GMT)

Sammy was one of the most underrated player. It was well said "Christ came to this earth, did nothing wrong and yet was crucified. I'm nowhere close to that man". Cheers Sammy

Posted by LionCulture on (October 8, 2012, 5:42 GMT)

your faith in God made you champions! Well done WI! from a Sri Lankan fan

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (October 8, 2012, 5:42 GMT)

Well done WI. Nice the see lot of support for WI from India.

Posted by guptahitesh4u on (October 8, 2012, 5:38 GMT)

Congratulations to WI!! You deserved this

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 5:37 GMT)

Well done WINDIES, It's a wonderful victory and nice to hear that you play for the country rather than Glory. It's nice you testified that you believed in Christ and i think u are a man fully matured enough and please don't let this momentum to fade, bring it in Test and ODI's am sure that you can be No.1. You made Windies like me and my family very happy and proud after winning this World Cup. Common Guys, its a wonderful team effort. Especially, Sammy you silenced every critics. Continue to win games.

Posted by typos on (October 8, 2012, 5:29 GMT)

I used to berate Sammy at every opportunity, but after watching the team in England and the effort he put in, I made a conscious effort to shut my mouth and support no matter what as I used to. Sammy, I salute you more than the rest because you deserve this for your belief, hard work and personal commitment. I am also glad that the talented players are coming back in and performing for the team and 'country' we know they too love. My hopes and prayers are now for the Board to mend more fences, develop good infrastructure and be lion hearted themselves like Sammy is. There is always room for improvement as with all aspects of life, but enjoy the moment Sammy, you deserve it!!!!

Posted by BPShah on (October 8, 2012, 5:21 GMT)

So happy for the west Indies team; this team bring Colour and Joy on the field and off it and it is a sheer pleasure to watch them. At the same time heart goes out to Sri Lankan team. They are also a great team. Mahela played wonderfully well all through the tournament but Dilshan (though he was absolutely brilliant in the field) & Sanga did not click in patches. But they have some very good young players & they will bounce back.

Posted by Ghinva on (October 8, 2012, 5:15 GMT)

Respect for Sirilankaaa as alwayss...nn ADORATION & ADMIRATION FOR WESTINDIES...the spirit the momentomm the patriotismm is what truly Shone in the Windiess..truly deserved victoryy..& shall be cherished for all Cricket Lovers..Love u Chriss Gaylee :) Pakis Fan

Posted by Nanda_Mcgrath on (October 8, 2012, 5:15 GMT)

Windies U beauty.................... Showed the world u r second to none. And poor Srilanka 4th time unlucky. Innings from Samuel's was the best that I have witnessed, because scoring runs when the team was almost down at the half way mark. But his innings saved the day for Windies................................

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 5:01 GMT)

well said Darren......respect your comments very much as a Sri Lankan and congratulations on your big win........(y)

Posted by nkoch on (October 8, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

Well done WI. Well done Darren Sammy. Great work by the Captain with limited cricket abilities but extraordinary personality. Always humble in win or defeat, holding team together in crises, managing mountainous egos of WI superstars but always smiling and making his unnoticed contribution. His quickfire 26 to finish WI innings and 2-6 in 2 overs may not have won a MoM award, but sure had considerable impact on the game.

Kudos to Darren!!

Posted by shahbazhussain on (October 8, 2012, 4:52 GMT)

Thats so brilliant performance from a team more deserving than any other... Imagine how would it earn pride for them lifting a world-cup after 33 years? Thirty THREE years? that is amazing guys... i know when a glory comes after such a long wait everybody forgets the differences and starts to give highfive and unite once again to do more better and forget the past... 33 years are now history.... the new is 2012. And yet another big attachments from the 70s mighty tornados! Cheers. Whole Pakistan is proud of our West Indian friends. And we share our joys that they have lift the trophy this time. Hats off!

Posted by Surajdon9 on (October 8, 2012, 4:49 GMT)

And Sammy held the trophy up. And there was another round of applause.

Posted by bilalifyful on (October 8, 2012, 4:46 GMT)

Kudos to the way West Indies fought. This is the team with a lot of x-factor. they literally rose back from the dead to win this, being 19 for 2 in the 8th or 9th over. Magical stuff. I wish West Indian fans more success in other formats as well. A fan from Pakistan

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 4:42 GMT)

WI you guys deserve it.... congradulations.....very much dissapointed though as a sri lankan..but we still love our guys.... sanga and mahela you guys are the best......and again congradulations WI :) happy for u guys ....

Posted by Sinhaya on (October 8, 2012, 4:37 GMT)

To my favorite cricketer Darren Sammy, please target test cricket success. I know your next major tour is to Australia for ODIs and a T20 in early 2013 and good luck for that. But ensure you all strive to succeed in test matches. But I may be asking for too much. From a devout Lankan fan.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 4:29 GMT)

Take a bow Sammy and the West Indies team. You deserve every bit of praise!! WE salute!

Posted by satanswish on (October 8, 2012, 4:26 GMT)

Been following WI cricket on television since 80s. Saw some lows in late 90s & few years thereafter. WI won Champions Trophy in 2004 but still that was considered to be one of the surprises. But WI came to this WC as one of the favorites with a bunch of heavyweights in this team. Semifinal against Australia saw great team effort which we all fans were dying to see for a long time. Well Done WI, you are the champions. Enjoy the moment folks!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 4:25 GMT)

Congrats to West Indies team. They deserved this win on Srilanka ground.Srilankan spectators celebrated cheered Australia win over India. Srilankan spectators lacked sportsmen spirit. We all enjoyed West Indies win on Srilanka ground.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 4:22 GMT)

his speech was inspiring! Well done big boy!!

Posted by urprashant on (October 8, 2012, 4:07 GMT)

Welcome Back King 'West Indies'! You truly deserved it.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:57 GMT)

This man is brilliant. Such a great speaker.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:52 GMT)

They played the West Indian brand of cricket of yesteryear, Gayle, Samuel, Pollard and to top it, they have some tailor-made bowlers to suit the pitches in SL. Well done, much deserved. Again they should not wither away after a T20 win as had happened to them before.

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:45 GMT)

I hoped from the start of the tournament that the Windies would win. Maybe there is a god.

Posted by TheIndiaRockers on (October 8, 2012, 3:35 GMT)

Well deserved win for west indies. You are the world champs great to see west indies back as a champians.....Gayle you are the blossem especially your carrebian dance & your real terminator in any format against all the teams ....... Sammy you are the main reason to win this T20 WC, you are created the unity fought against tough times.. Last but not least WEST INDIANS ARE THE 2012 CHAMPIANS....

Posted by silent.warrior on (October 8, 2012, 3:31 GMT)

congratulations to West indies...specially tu my friend in Kingston....best wishes from Pak

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:30 GMT)

Congratulations! We were expecting you West Indies!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:27 GMT)

well said sammy and we all know you have a huge heart... i saw it all through the pains and defeats of the last years just how courageous you are, never mind the critics you are a treasure just like clive lloyd.. i put you in the category of lloyd cause like him, you play for the people not glory.

Posted by Just_love_it on (October 8, 2012, 3:13 GMT)

So the saga of home /host team never winning world cups infront of home crowd continue ! Except Only Dhoni's India won it at home infront of home crowd out of 14 world cups (10 + 4) .......No Srilanka didn't play semifinal and final infront of home crowd they played semi in India and final in Pakistan in 96 ! So only Dhoni's India did it under super pressure to perform infront of home crowd and that too chasing 274 !!!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 3:12 GMT)

Congratulations to the West Indies cricket team. They really deserve to be the champion.

Posted by CricketFanIndUS on (October 8, 2012, 3:10 GMT)

With the style of batting West Indies have, there are always in contention in any T20 match. Congratulations again!!!

Posted by PadMarley on (October 8, 2012, 2:59 GMT)

I am a hardcore Sri Lankan fan.... heart broken :-( ... But well played West Indies.. Hope this victory will revive cricket in your countries like it did for us in 1996. One thing for sure, we boh islanders know how to celebrate... so, party hard!

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 2:58 GMT)

well done windies.....sammy is not upto the mark in this tournament,but he proved in the final as a leader.congrats to sammy and his gangnam boyz.....

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 2:43 GMT)

Sammy I belived you as Great ambassdor for carbieean cricket always... You proved so now and this brings joyous for me too as Indian cricket die hard fan I liked your team jelled as a single unit and has done this wonderful wonder and take your team to next level high.. COME ON WINDIES DO IT IN CHAMPIONS TROPHY AGAIN....

Posted by Sakthiivel on (October 8, 2012, 2:36 GMT)

We love west indies cricket. Billion fans for you in India

Posted by DWO1 on (October 8, 2012, 2:25 GMT)

"And I always say I live my life one way. Christ came to this earth, did nothing wrong and yet was crucified. I'm nowhere close to that man." Darren Sammy and team West Indies & management CONGRATULATIONS on your victory at the World ICC T20 2K12. My only hope is that as an avid and devoted Windies cricket fan this momentum is transcended to the other formats of the game ...

Posted by carjunan on (October 8, 2012, 2:12 GMT)

To start a new era like they did in 1975-1996, they only need ambrose, walsh kind of bowlers, if they find them then they have the batting power to do anything, CONGRATS WEST INDIANS< WISHES FROM SRILANKA

Posted by   on (October 8, 2012, 1:44 GMT)

Most Underrated Cricketer has once again proved his Critics wrong...This should Silence people for all the talk about his role in the team and his leadership abilities.....way to go Sammy and you are one of most of hardworking cricketer and who give everything on the park and hope we see the golden days of Caribbean Cricket reviewed back to its full glory

Posted by Meety on (October 8, 2012, 1:26 GMT)

I really feel happy for the bloke. Arguably the most maligned player in cricket. Most of it unwarranted. He is a player who truely is greater than the some of his parts. He is a useful bowler, handy lower order batsmen, good fielder, very good leader. Really hope this is the proof that the WIndies are on the way up! World cricket needs a strong WIndies (not too strong though!)

Abhishek PurohitClose