The IPL auction 2011

'Its been a funny afternoon'

The IPL auction brought life-changing amounts of money to some, and snubbed others who were expecting to hit the jackpot

ESPNcricinfo staff

January 12, 2011

Daniel Christian sends one down, Royal Challengers Bangalore v South Australia, Champions League Twenty20, Durban, September 17, 2010
Dan Christian's price tag was perhaps the biggest surprise of the auction © AFP

The dust having settled, it's time to look back on two crazy days through the words of those most closely involved

"It'd be nice to earn those kind of figures in a full career. Its been a funny afternoon, to say the least."
Australian allrounder Dan Christian has his feet on the ground despite his $900,000 price tag

"I'm sure all those IPL franchises, everyone will know what I'm capable of. I didn't have anything to prove. Its unfortunate things didn't come off in the IPL, disappointed but at the same time you've got to live life and still got to move on."
Chris Gayle reacts to being passed over at the auction

"Dada is like a younger brother to me and I want to win more games together."
Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shahrukh Khan extends the olive branch to Sourav Ganguly, an icon of the city who was not picked up at the auction

"I am surprised because I never expected that I would be bought for an exorbitant amount of $1.6 million. I would be lying if I say money is not important, but my dream is to play for India."
Royal Challengers Bangalore splurged on 21-year-old Saurabh Tiwary, who has played all of three matches for India so far

"I played with them for three years and have several happy memories with the team. My wife is also from Chennai and she is upset with this change but it happens in the game. I will miss Chennai, my teammates and miraculous captain Dhoni."
Kochi has provided Muttiah Muralitharan 1.1 million reasons with which to placate his wife

"Definitely not 2.1, considering my performance in the previous IPL, I thought, if I was lucky, I'd go for 1.3, 1.5 or so. God's been very kind to me."
Robin Uthappa tells CNN-IBN he felt a lot of comfort and peace at the massive money spent on him as he was questioning his ability after years out of the national team

"It is a very good start to 2011. People think I am an important player. I am very pleased."
Irfan Pathan hasn't played for India in 19 months but still warranted a $1.9m salary

"I am happy to play for Mumbai Indians. I have played for Mumbai (the domestic side) for five years now. Now I am a complete Mumbaikar!"
Rohit Sharma's homecoming was sweetened by a $2m deal

"Pressure on him with huge price tag? I don't think so. Maybe in a T20 game. Dan's thrilled. He was probably as surprised as a lot of people with his bid. Talking to him before he was pretty happy to get his base price of 50k. We were sitting there watching it, he couldn't stop laughing for two hours."
Tim Paine thinks little-known Dan Christian won't be weighed down by the enormous investment on him

"A lot of good players passed by so thought I might be one of them. Repeat for CSK? Will miss all the great fans of the Chargers but I'm excited to be heading to Chennai. Better change my ring tone on phone, it's playing the chargers theme song!!!"
Scott Styris tweets after moving to Chennai Super Kings from the Deccan Chargers

"I got Rs 8 lakh (about $17,700) for representing the KKR last year. I had a feeling that domestic fast bowlers would be in demand. I was expecting a good price, but this ($250,000) was unexpected."
Indian fast bowler Jaidev Unadkat, the second youngest player to be bought, on getting a 14-fold pay hike

"If the opportunity arose then brilliant but I have plenty of others things to focus my mind. I didn't lose much sleep over it."
England spinner Michael Yardy shrugs his shoulders at missing out on a lucrative payday

"Somerset have been really good to me. My wife is English and I was very keen to move to England. Somerset gave me that opportunity, so it's not going to be a case of 'thanks very much for three years, but I'm out of here'."
The IPL isn't going to tempt South Africa-born fast bowler Alfonso Thomas into abandoning his county

"I've never met him but it will be awesome. The whole world looks at this guy. When I was a boy, he was playing Test cricket and he is still going."
South African batsman Davy Jacobs is excited at the possibility of opening the batting with Sachin Tendulkar for the Mumbai Indians

"The main reason we picked him was because he is the captain. Even if he is not at the peak of his career, I still feel as a leader he has a lot to offer."
Kings XI Punjab coach Michael Bevan explains the rationale behind paying big bucks for 39-year-old Adam Gilchrist

Posted by   on (January 15, 2011, 22:21 GMT)

I reckon Pune could be a dark horse. Uthappa and Yuvraj are do or die players, and they've secured some interesting uncapped players. Could be interesting.

Posted by praks3705 on (January 15, 2011, 7:04 GMT)

@sautrik n dada fans...i do agree with sourav's stats in last ipl n his capabilities as a player but laxman n dravid r preferred over him b'coz they r better team men then dada. they do not demand too much of importance for themselves n go with the team unlike dada who in an attempt to prove his worth, sacrifices team interests.i m sure, every1 had seen this coming n knew that if any team that can carry this burden named dada it wud be only kkr b'coz of home support...but even kkr has been smart n logical in ignoring him. dada, we appreciate ur columns in TOI, keep doing tht n forget everything else.

Posted by mitgop11 on (January 14, 2011, 19:07 GMT)

murali will be missed by CSK fans!!!

Posted by Sautrik on (January 13, 2011, 20:41 GMT)

im not denying that laxman and dravid are great players, but I would have Sourav Ganguly in my team rather than them two because i feel hes more of a ODI and T20 player. His IPL stats, especially last season(third highsst run scorer)prove it. Surpised to see him go unsold.

Posted by TheOnlyEmperor on (January 13, 2011, 7:10 GMT)

The faster a franchise realises that their brand shouldn't rest on the brand image of a big-name player, the better will they perform in the long-term. That said, in the initial phases, it's important to splurge big money on the big names to let the fan base as well as the players themselves take pride in associating with the franchise. However, if the team as a unit doesn't perform and do well to reach the semis, then all the big names in the team will not help the franchise make a big brand of themselves. Performance always counts and success begets success.

Posted by   on (January 12, 2011, 12:44 GMT)

Big reality check and brilliant management. Build the franchise with big names, then use your popularity to make your own big names and build your brand. Everyone should have seen this coming.

FeedbackTop

'A test of Kohli's mental strength'

Bowl at Boycs: Geoffrey Boycott on Kohli's recent form, and Cook's captaincy

Kallis: a standard-bearer for a nation

Mark Nicholas: He made South Africans proud and he made the rest of the world stand up and take notice

'Like a ballet dancer'

My XI: Martin Crowe on Mark Waugh's lazy elegance and batsmanship that was easy on eye

Sea, sun, scandal

Diary: Our correspondent takes in the sights and sounds of Galle and Colombo, and reports on a tampering controversy

Remembering Ashok Mankad

V Ramnarayan: The late 'Kaka' was a terrific batsman, a shrewd captain, and a wonderful raconteur. But most of all he was a genuine friend

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Only 15 times in Test history has a player achieved the double of 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Going on current form, Bhuvneshwar could well be the 16th

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

Ugly runs but still they swoon

Alastair Cook did not bat like a leading man but the crowd applauded him for simply not failing

Time to pension off the seniors?

If England are going to win nothing, history suggests it might be worth their while to win nothing with kids

Boycott floored by an Indian trundler

When Eknath Solkar got under the skin of Geoff Boycott, leading to a three-year self-imposed exile from Test cricket