Ed Smith
Ed Smith Ed SmithRSS FeedFeeds  | Archives
Former England, Kent and Middlesex batsman; writer for the New Statesman

Is there room for intellectuals in cricket?

There may be tensions between thinking and competing, but good sports teams are open to all kinds of players - including those who seem misfits

Ed Smith

November 24, 2011

Adam Hollioake practises in his new Essex kit, Durham, June 20, 2007
A captain like Adam Hollioake could encourage his team-mates to be themselves because he was himself comfortable in his own skin © Essex CCC
Players/Officials: Peter Roebuck | Ed Smith

WG Grace thought reading books was bad for your batting. "You'll never catch me that way," he scoffed. The story serves as a metaphor for sport's suspicion of intellectual life. Thinkers, readers, curious minds: do we really want them clogging up the supposedly optimistic, forward-looking atmosphere of a cricket team?

Cricket is still grappling with the terrible news that Peter Roebuck - one of sport's genuine intellectuals - jumped to his death from his hotel balcony as he was being questioned by South African police about a sexual assault charge. The circumstances of Roebuck's death were clearly atypical. Nonetheless, his life - especially those parts of his life that belonged to cricket - fit the pattern of an intellectual who never quite settled into an easy relationship with the sport he loved.

Other sports are arguably even more anti-intellectual than cricket. Football never entirely understood Pat Nevin. Graeme Le Saux was subjected to homophobic chants and abuse. He wasn't gay, of course - his "sin" was to read serious newspapers such as the Guardian.

In Ball Four, the New York Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton's wrote the first great exposé of major league sport. He described how the management encouraged, almost forced, their players to drink beer after matches. That Bouton preferred milk was thought to be proof that he wasn't a real bloke. He was made to feel guilty for being intellectually curious. Bouton wrote admiringly about one soulmate who liked to lie down in open fields and read poetry. But his intellectual team-mate subsequently denied it.

Let's not pretend that there aren't tensions between thinking and competing. I turned professional at probably my most openly intellectual phase, when I had just graduated from Cambridge University. Perhaps too many things had all happened too soon for me - I was only 20 when I graduated. And we were young and callow and could be a pretentious bunch, with the intellectual bar set ludicrously high. We thought nothing of being habitually dismissive - forgive us, but being dismissive was the style.

From that rarefied academic environment, dominated by abstract thinking and academic competitiveness, I stepped straight into a first-class cricket dressing room. It was a massive change and gave me a huge jolt. And I'm sure I didn't always handle it well. On one away trip, my room-mate picked up the book on my bedside table. It was Experience and Its Modes, a densely argued book by the philosopher Michael Oakeshott. I'll never forget the expression on his face.

Mike Atherton and I once discussed whether intellectuals had any place in modern sport. The best defence is that good sports teams embrace diversity. They are open to all different types, including players who do not naturally fit the stereotype of a team player. The best teams are liberal in the deepest sense. They do not stifle independent thinkers or left-field ideas. They do not enforce conventional, middle-brow behaviour.

For that reason, the worst combination for a sporting intellectual is a losing team and a weak, insecure captain. A losing team searches for scapegoats. During times of insecurity and pressure, as history shows, human groups often turn on unconventional individuals. Insecure leaders want to be surrounded by players of limited intelligence. It is easier that way.

Surprisingly, however, the team's "intellectual" usually has little to fear from the anti-intellectual jocks. No, the real threat comes from the jealousy of the nearly man, the player who fancies himself as a thinker and resents the competition. Team splits often begin with the manipulations of jealous, thwarted players who think they are cleverer than they are.

Winning, of course, always helps. A winning team is more inclined to look for the good in unusual players. Looking back on my career, the happiest times were when I played under secure captains and coaches. My father, a lifelong teacher, often told me that weak headmasters appoint unthreatening deputies, but strong headmasters back themselves to handle more restless and independent people. I suspect that was one of Adam Hollioake's great strengths as a captain: he encouraged people to be themselves. He could do that because he was happy in his own skin. "I enjoy my life, I want my team-mates to enjoy theirs" - that was always the impression I got from Adam.

Roebuck, I sense, craved that kind of acceptance - in cricket and in life. He once emailed me a long, uncorrected series of acute perceptions and observations. It was classic Roebuck - staccato, direct and unsparing, especially of himself. He wrote: "I realised that I had not actually enjoyed cricket at all. Englishmen love to suffer! I played one creative innings at Somerset and that's the only press cutting I kept. I never really dared again."

He was determined to avoid those errors in his career as a writer. "Always tell the truth in your own way. As a journalist I never go into the office, as I say nothing happens in offices! One has to work hard not to get sucked into 'the operation'. But dare one tread that path? Do you? Professionalism is not an enemy but it has become a mantra. I concentrate entirely in staying fresh - or else work becomes tired, cynical, useless. Cleverness is an easy substitute for thought. Begin afresh afresh as Larkin wrote."

That "Do you?" was one of the most direct challenges I have had put to me.

He had so much more thinking to do, so many more insights to develop. Instead, his innings did not run its full and proper course. "A player goes through three stages - natural, complicated, simple - not many reach that last stage but the journey cannot be avoided. Failure is the problem," he wrote to me.

Roebuck's three-stage journey applies to life as well as to batting. It is deeply sad that Roebuck's life ended while it was still very much at the complicated stage. One day, I hope, the intellectual will find it easier to find a natural role in professional sport.

Former England, Kent and Middlesex batsman Ed Smith is a writer with the Times. His Twitter feed is here

RSS Feeds: Ed Smith

Posted by s3ns3 on (November 27, 2011, 3:10 GMT)

"the real threat comes from the jealousy of the nearly man, the player who fancies himself as a thinker and resents the competition." No offence meant, but wasn't that line wasted on cricket when it actually cuts across life?

Posted by Xolile on (November 25, 2011, 22:24 GMT)

Some of the comments are tragic - with commentators equating university degrees to intellectualism. However, the central question in the article is a good one. Does a powerful intellect hinder or help when it comes to cricket? My view is that a thinker can succeed in cricket despite the circumstances. Bradman springs to mind. A feeble intellect, however, can succeed too; but not without a strong leader. Gibbs following Cronje into the abyss and the recent Pakistani fiasco are cases in point.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (November 25, 2011, 14:48 GMT)

Headley Verity read Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained whilst touring Australia. With the exception of Mike Brearley, I can think of no other cricketer who might derive comfort and intellectual stimulation from John Milton. No wonder Bradman said: 'There is no breaking point with Headley.' And he wasn't punning! I have yet to meet a student of Eng. Lit. who turns to Milton for relaxation, although poetry and test cricket are natural bedfellows, as the great HV knew.

Posted by AdityaMookerjee on (November 25, 2011, 11:14 GMT)

There was nothing amiss in Roebuck's intellectualism. I think, Roebuck gave his intellectualism such high marks, that he felt his life did not add up to the marks. Would Roebuck have been reviled, or ridiculed? Not for his intellectualism. I don't think he would have been shunned. He was a perfectly normal human being. But, people would have been careful in his presence, perhaps even his friends. At least, those who needed to be careful.

Posted by Nampally on (November 25, 2011, 1:31 GMT)

You start off by saying "there may be tensions between thinking & competing ---- including those who seem misfit". In all "team" sports these days, a person who does not fit in is out in very short time under the pretext of non team player. In many jobs, one of the first requirements is that he should be a good team player - i.e., get on with all members.As long he/she can get on well with the other team members, no one cares about his intellectual abilities.Eventually it is the team spirit that matters - everyone pulling in the same direction.At one time England had matches - Players vs Gentlemen -abolished later- may be because it segregated. Players like Cowdrey, May played alongside with likes of Truman & Tyson.In an ideal world Roebuck's philosophy is great. But in reality team players have to adapt to team or corporate culture or perish. An intellectual definitely has room in any Cricket team as long as he can be a "team player".There a dozens of examples in all National teams.

Posted by yunaimin on (November 25, 2011, 1:04 GMT)

If Stuart Broad had a little more grey matter (or perhaps it was courage he wanted) it would not have taken a year or more for him to switch to bowling the fuller length that brought him so much success in the recent India series.

Conversely, Sachin Tendulkar found upon his comeback from tennis elbow in 2003/04 that he was getting out a lot to a certain shot (the cut shot I think). So against Australia in Sydney he decided not to play the shot at all and instead to try and score more on the leg side. The result was a magnificent 241* and 60* in the match.

'Concentrate on your natural game' is for mugs and thugs by and large, unless you are an exception like Sehwag. For the rest, success comes by adaptation to conditions and excellence comes through overcoming adverse situations. And that part of the game is played by the intellect, not the 'mind', not the nature.

Posted by DwightR on (November 25, 2011, 0:44 GMT)

@Devapriya- yup, defiently the modern day intellect of our era is Sangakarra, perfect A student & lawyer. you can tell the intelligence simply from his interviews. Maybe after his cricket playing career is finsihed he'll return to law or more likely a commentator but knowing Sanga he'll do both.

Posted by   on (November 25, 2011, 0:43 GMT)

To sir francis - read Simon's Wilde's book And God Invented Cricket. It will open your eyes on WG Grace's supposed profession. He was a professional cricketer in everything but name. While it was a while ago that I read it I think it said that he never actually worked as a doctor, just had a office in his name.

Posted by   on (November 24, 2011, 23:30 GMT)

Grace was a Dr. when it took nothing to be a doctor. In those days all it took were a few classes in basic science and occupancy in a certain social class.

Posted by Woody111 on (November 24, 2011, 23:28 GMT)

Well said Mr Yorke and Sriraj. I can only imagine it stems from insecurity and a need for gratification that people ask 'why has not my favourite player been included?' It's quite funny when you think about it as the article is about Roebuck who was opposed to nationalistic attitudes in cricket. If you always want your team or player to be represented in what you read on cricinfo just click on his name or the team and stare at their statistics and bio. Don't bother reading pieces such as this.

Posted by cloudmess on (November 24, 2011, 15:10 GMT)

Interesting and poignant - Smith's 2003 diary was an obvious link back to Roebuck - intellectual, individualistic men, slightly out of place in their environment - though Roebuck was evidently a more abrasive, tortured soul. The extracts from Roebuck's email were fascinating. Roebuck always had the ability - even when not writing at his best - to produce a sudden insight or perception, which once read, you never forgot. To use his own analogy, his best book - It Never Rains- was written in his first, most natural stage. I always hoped he would reach that third stage and turn out a masterly study of the game, its psychologies and its politics. I'd agree that Smith has chosen his subject carefully, and not least because Roebuck's journalism was multi-cultural - England, SA, Australia and India can all claim a bit of him. But Usam Ajmal also a point: for a superb study of Islam and Pakistan, see Imran Khan's new book.

Posted by roarster on (November 24, 2011, 15:01 GMT)

What about that Ronnie Irani? He strike me as a frightfully thoughtful chap. His updated version of the Zimbabwean National Anthem during his 2007 speech to the Cricket Writers' Clubto only served to highlight his enhanced level of enlightenment. And what's more the article criminally neglects to name drop a single cricketer of Persian persuasion!

P.S I actually agree with the comments about readers who feel the righteously indignant urge to complain about the failure to reference sachin/imran/murali (all of whom no doubt operate on a higher intellectual as well as a higher cricketing plain!) in every single dispatch regardless of subject or contect.

Posted by CricketPissek on (November 24, 2011, 13:31 GMT)

*ignoring the brainless comments by some users questioning the omission of their favourite players* Superb article and quite a refreshing one. Sport has generally always had a culture where the intellect is the freak in the team. I suppose cricket, especially English cricket, with its "gentlemen" roots have been somewhat resistant to this trend. On the international stage, suave, sophisticated, and articulate players are admired (no doubt with major influence by the media), however in school or club cricket, the brains are generally bullied by the brawn. In an ideal world we all embrace each others' differences and the mixture will always make the team experience richer. However, a great leader is needed to recognise this and to be the catalyst for such a team culture.

Posted by Devapriya on (November 24, 2011, 13:29 GMT)

Kumar Snagakkara got 4 A's at A-level and was studying for a law degree. Thankfully cricket managed to lure him away from an academic life!

Posted by   on (November 24, 2011, 12:00 GMT)

Why does every article on Cricinfo have to have comments asking why such and such a player was overlooked? It is always the same, no matter what the topic. Scroll down a few lines and they begin - 'Where is X' or 'Y was this so should be here'.

Can people accept that just because a player is from your country or is your personal hero they do not automatically deserve to be included. Smith has written an intelligent piece reflecting upon Roebuck and his untimely passing, yet even here there are comments calling for players to be included.

Smith is English, the majority of his experience is of English cricket. He comments upon what he knows and therefore has no need to chuck in an obligatory mention of a subcontinent cricketer.

Understand that this is not a snub to any player, country or fan. If they warranted inclusion they would be. Read the article, enjoy and comment on it if you must but please don't clog up the page with pleas for so and so to be added.

Posted by   on (November 24, 2011, 11:02 GMT)

Come on guys, stop trying to pick out people whom Ed may have missed! The point of this article is not to make a list of every intellectual who may have played the game and making such a list is impossible. Ed is a county cricketer and it is absolutely fair on him that he picks out examples relevant to his experience!

Anyway, another fantastic piece Ed! Judging from the way it has started off, I believe this column will be a very interesting one to follow! Just like your Australian namesake Ed as well! Good on you guys!

Posted by Sir_Francis on (November 24, 2011, 10:52 GMT)

Um, WG Grace was a physician. Hardly a non-thinker.

Posted by   on (November 24, 2011, 10:40 GMT)

Brilliant column and one that I can at least half identify with.

I'm by no means an intellectual and never have been, but the fact that I have an expansive vocabulary and am capable of logical thought has always put me on the social fringes of sports teams until recently. My current team think I'm weird, but like that I'm weird. It works. They needed a "weird guy". My old team(s) obviously didn't.

The verbal and social persecution comes from ego and insecurity, but it also comes from a lack of understanding and acceptance of those who don't tend to comply with that team's established norms. "What? You don't think farting at someone in the shower is funny? Who ARE you?"

You have to have confidence in yourself and know that despite the merciless ribbing, completely changing track to "fit in" is never a good option. It's just that it's probably for the best if you don't reply to straightforward questions by quoting Dosdoevsky.

Posted by SquareLegs on (November 24, 2011, 9:49 GMT)

What an odd article. First class cricket was and I think still is littered with men whom most would consider intellectual. Why should an intellectual per se find himself an outcast in a team which contains a number of other intellectuals? Leaving aside those whose intellect was not shaped at university, the Kent team in which Mr Smith started included other alumni from the universities of Cambridge (Will House), Durham (Graham Cowdrey) and Kent (David Fulton) among others. Or perhaps I am missing the point, and Mr Smith is establishing his credentials to become Mr Roebuck's spiritual successor.

Posted by deepak_sholapurkar on (November 24, 2011, 9:48 GMT)

What about Rahul Dravid/Anil Kumble

Posted by newnomi on (November 24, 2011, 5:12 GMT)

Wow, to think there is writing like this on Cricinfo! I'd decided that here you only got the cliche-ridden banalities of people like Harsha Bogle; I'd decided that cricinfo was good for scorecards and team news only. How you've proved me wrong, Mr. Smith! I salute you. Hemingway to get into the heads of matadors, and from now on you, to do the same with cricketers. Thanks.

Posted by vrghosh on (November 24, 2011, 4:26 GMT)

If Neville Cardus served as Composer in Cric-Scripting, so as Roebuck as Background Scorer... Thanks for this Lyrical Release ... Mr. Smith... !!!

Posted by   on (November 24, 2011, 3:12 GMT)

Althought I deeply agree with your article, how could you not mention Imran Khan? Oxford graduate playing cricket?

FeedbackTop

The cricket tragic who bowled Bradman

Former Australian PM Bob Hawke loved cricket. And he once left the Don speechless with the force of his political convictions

'The worst thing about being a keeper is stinky hands'

Chris Read talks about how unprepared he was for Tests, and that slower ball from Chris Cairns

Everybody deserves a second chance?

Switch Hit: Mark Butcher joins our team to discuss the new England coaches, KP, and a potential England XI

England's Pietersen folly

Martin Crowe: Not getting rid of Kevin Pietersen after the texting saga in 2012 cost them greatly

Fizz, flight and loop

V Ramnarayan: Erapalli Prasanna was a masterful conjurer and perhaps the shrewdest of India's great spin quartet

UAE all set to host lavish welcoming party

The controversy surrounding the IPL has done little to deter fans in UAE from flocking the stadiums, as they gear up to watch the Indian stars in action for the first time since 2006

The watch breaker, and Malinga specials

Plays of the day from the IPL match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians in Abu Dhabi

The world record that nearly wasn't

Twenty years ago this week, Brian Lara became Test cricket's highest scorer, but he almost didn't make it

'Sri Lankan fans embrace the team, not just icon players'

Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara go over their World T20 win, and feel grateful to have fans whose support remains unwavering in victory and defeat

Crunch time for Sehwag and Gambhir

The former Indian openers haven't been shining lately, but the IPL presents an opportunity for them to show their class